Gen Con 2013

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Gen Con 2013

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok, so last time I checked, there were 11 C&C games on the grid. I am running 5 of them. I saw that last one sneak up half way in to the first day of registration....nice Piperdog!

If anything is left, it has to be tickets for that 2am game. Too late for me...errr, too early.

Who is going to Gen Con, and who is running games, who has tickets? I got some for folks coming with me, and now they think they may not be able. So I have a couple grid tickets for games.

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Re: Gen Con 2013

Post by quithanire2 »

What are the chances of "off" the grid games at Gen-con? I played in the C&C tournament at Garycon this year and had a blast. So, we (my wife and I) decided to try Gen-con first time this year. We are playing all 3 of the giant games, Dry Rivers Friday night and Gottland-Ne Thursday night. What are the odds of an open game say on Saturday night?

I wish you guys were running events at Origins. We live in Ohio and go every year. I had been wanting to give C&C and for awhile. I had been thinking of buying the books but I wanted to give it a try first. At Origins we play mostly 1e/2e ad&d and deadlands games and with some tabletop. We have been playing C&C at the house some since Garycon. Maybe, if no one else runs at Origins, I might try it next year... :lol:
Formerly "quithanire"

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

quithanire2 wrote:What are the chances of "off" the grid games at Gen-con? I played in the C&C tournament at Garycon this year and had a blast. So, we (my wife and I) decided to try Gen-con first time this year. We are playing all 3 of the giant games, Dry Rivers Friday night and Gottland-Ne Thursday night. What are the odds of an open game say on Saturday night?

I wish you guys were running events at Origins. We live in Ohio and go every year. I had been wanting to give C&C and for awhile. I had been thinking of buying the books but I wanted to give it a try first. At Origins we play mostly 1e/2e ad&d and deadlands games and with some tabletop. We have been playing C&C at the house some since Garycon. Maybe, if no one else runs at Origins, I might try it next year... :lol:
I try to run a game or two at Con on the Cob (which is in Akron, Oh).

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Post by quithanire2 »

I will have to check that one out. Thanks. Until now I had only gone to Origins, Garycon and Charcon (Charleston WV).
Formerly "quithanire"

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

There will be off-grid games. Omote has one going Friday night. I would run the Tegel game off grid again if there is a desire. Tables at the Hyatt Regency are easy to find after hours. We leave a list at the TLG booth. When we get closer to GenCon, I will give you my cell number so we can coordinate games during the con.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

quithanire2 wrote:I will have to check that one out. Thanks. Until now I had only gone to Origins, Garycon and Charcon (Charleston WV).
You definitely should. It's a great little con.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

These are the GenCon C&C games I will be playing in this year:

RPG1346740 (Chaos in Gottland-Ne on Thu at 08:00 PM)
RPG1343455 (The Giant's Rapture: Winter's Promise on Sat at 10:00 AM)

As Snoring Rock stated, I am planning on running a high-level C&C game on Friday night. This is an "off-grid" game. Not sure where we can play yet, but we are going to try at the Hyatt Regency. Word will be left at the TLG BOOTH in the exhibit hall during the days of the convention the time and place as best we can provide them.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Snoring Rock wrote:I would run the Tegel game off grid again if there is a desire.
SR, since the end of the yearly AD&D Thracia game, I look to Tegal Manor and your CKing abilities to pick up where the previous ended. If you are able, I will be there to play. The Society of the KA-DOOSH cannot be broken so easily.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Post by quithanire2 »

@Omote
High level C&C is appealing. I am in the Dry Rivers game on Friday until 11 with an early game on Saturday. Who needs to sleep right, heh. Unless I traded games. I noticed the Dry Rivers game is huge and a 3hr slot. Has anyone played this game?

@Snoring Rock
Tegel Manor is the one game I didn't get into, so that holds possibilities.

I am done after 7pm on Saturday. I will definately check in at the both to see what we can get into. Thanks guys.
Formerly "quithanire"

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

@ Omote, you are so right my good sir! The Society of the Ka-Doosh must carry on! Ok, so we must MAKE this happen. I run games Thursday and Saturday evening 7-12 on the grid. Friday I left open for your game. We can do the Ka-Doosh game (off grid) Friday at the Hyatt Regency from 7-? Or we would have to do it during the day Thursday or Friday-ish I run a C&C grid game at like 3 or 4 to 7-or 8. A night game would have to be Friday night. I am up for it. If we play a day game, finding the space will be the puzzler. But we can check in at Grid HQ and they say they will assign a table.

So we can get a table at Hyatt Regency for sure. We can do Paladin in Hell or Tegel-Ka-Doosh....er maybe we should do both back to back? That a lot of hard play time! If we move Ka-Doosh it has to be to Thursday during the day or Friday late morning. I do not want to ruin the Paladin in Hell game. Lets figure this out.

@ quithanire2, I have a ticket for my Tegel game Saturday at 7pm at the JW Marriott. If you have $4 and you show up there in room 206 ask for Snore. I will hold the ticket for you if you want it. It is a game you will not want to miss.

As we get closer, I will post my cell number here so we can coordinate the Ka-Doosh game. everyone is invited!!

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Rigon wrote:I try to run a game or two at Con on the Cob (which is in Akron, Oh).
Do you happen to remember the dates for this? My wife's family lives in Canton, OH, which is just a stone's throw from Akron.

For some reason I keep thinking that this happens at just the wrong time of year. Halloween? Thanksgiving? Some weekend that never quite works for me. :oops:

EDIT: Looks like October 17-20. Thank you, google. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

finarvyn wrote:
Rigon wrote:I try to run a game or two at Con on the Cob (which is in Akron, Oh).
Do you happen to remember the dates for this? My wife's family lives in Canton, OH, which is just a stone's throw from Akron.

For some reason I keep thinking that this happens at just the wrong time of year. Halloween? Thanksgiving? Some weekend that never quite works for me. :oops:

EDIT: Looks like October 17-20. Thank you, google. :P
Yous should come hang out with us.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Post by quithanire2 »

@snore
Sure hold the Tegel Manor ticket for me.

I'll keep an eye out for other possible games...Paladin in Hell sounds intriguing.
Got out my old 1e PHB to show my wife the art...

CT
Formerly "quithanire"

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Get enough generic tickets and if someone does not show, she can use that. If not, watching is enjoyable as well. We drew a crowd to watch last year.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Snoring Rock wrote:@ Omote, you are so right my good sir! The Society of the Ka-Doosh must carry on! Ok, so we must MAKE this happen. I run games Thursday and Saturday evening 7-12 on the grid. Friday I left open for your game. We can do the Ka-Doosh game (off grid) Friday at the Hyatt Regency from 7-? Or we would have to do it during the day Thursday or Friday-ish I run a C&C grid game at like 3 or 4 to 7-or 8. A night game would have to be Friday night. I am up for it. If we play a day game, finding the space will be the puzzler. But we can check in at Grid HQ and they say they will assign a table.

So we can get a table at Hyatt Regency for sure. We can do Paladin in Hell or Tegel-Ka-Doosh....er maybe we should do both back to back? That a lot of hard play time! If we move Ka-Doosh it has to be to Thursday during the day or Friday late morning. I do not want to ruin the Paladin in Hell game. Lets figure this out.
I left open Friday night for all KA-DOOSH related activities. Those activities could be Paladin in Hell (C&C-style of course!) or Tegal Manor. If I HAD to choose, of course I'd love to continue play in the Tegal Manor game as that was a really fun time. I know you are already running a lot of games, so Paladin in Hell will be available on Friday as an option for whatever we decide.

Based on the number of players KA-DOOSH had last year, who know, maybe there will be two games!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

By the way, for all that are reading this thread, the GenCon, late night Friday games (Friday August 16, 2013, time TBA) is OPEN GAMING and OFF-THE-GRID. You won't find these games on any schedule, save perhaps on a list at the TLG booth in the dealer's hall.

SPEAKING FOR MYSELF ONLY:
Due to the number of people who show up for these off-grid events, there is no promise, and no guarantee that you'll have a seat at my game/s. I will of course hold a seat or two for dignitary crusaders, and special guests, but even these will be limited. In most cases it will have to be first come - first serve. I apologize ahead for any inconvenience this may cause.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Yes, everything that Omote said is true. Last year was a blast err, KaDoosh. We still laugh about your mind being blown over a trap door that was trapped. Game on!

Cyril
Skobbit

Post by Cyril »

Omote wrote:By the way, for all that are reading this thread, the GenCon, late night Friday games (Friday August 16, 2013, time TBA) is OPEN GAMING and OFF-THE-GRID. You won't find these games on any schedule, save perhaps on a list at the TLG booth in the dealer's hall.

SPEAKING FOR MYSELF ONLY:
Due to the number of people who show up for these off-grid events, there is no promise, and no guarantee that you'll have a seat at my game/s. I will of course hold a seat or two for dignitary crusaders, and special guests, but even these will be limited. In most cases it will have to be first come - first serve. I apologize ahead for any inconvenience this may cause.

~O
Another Forum community I frequent has had pretty good luck in 2011 coordinating via Twitter. Settle on a hashtag to use throughout the convention (#CCSGenCon2013 for example) and make game announcements a little while beforehand and accept reservations that way. Anyone who has a mobile phone can choose to get tweets sent directly to their phone as a SMS message at no additional cost (beyond what you may pay for text messaging through your provider). I'm not sure how last year went for them as I was unable to attend, but we're planning on coordinating again that way.

Both myself and my wife will be there. I'll be playing a lot of Edge of the Empire this year, but if I can squeeze in a pick-up game of C&C with some of you gents and ladies, I would be more than happy for the experience.

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Post by quithanire2 »

Perfectly understandable Omote. This will be our first year at Gencon (my wife and I) and we are playing in several on the grid games. We are looking forward to it a great deal! If we are lucky enough to get into an off the grid game then great! If we don't thats fine too. I know better than expect a seat. I know a bunch of the folks here have been friends for years and have likely been getting together at Gencon for off the grid games for some time now. So it would be rude to crowd in or make expectations. I'm just glad we got into as many events wanted, from what I hear that isn't always easy.
Formerly "quithanire"

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The only reason that I make specific mention of it, is that 2 years ago (maybe 3), a bunch of us were playing off-grid games, and some people were a bit miffed that by the time they got to the game, there was already 9 or 10 players at the table and no more could be taken. I get it. But I put that out there to shield myself a bit from any hard feelings that can come about from these kind of situations. :/ Regardless, I hope to see everybody there!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Not sure how close you watch this kind of stuff, but this should be a very exciting GenCon. Frog God Games (Necromancer Games) is making a come-back and will have a booth. Also; anyone remember Harn World? Columbia Games will be back in the entrepreneur area and they are updating Harn! Goodman Games is back after an absence since 4e as well.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

FGG is nice. I got in on one of their games. Apparently Tsattogga himself will be running it. We'll see though. Pretty excited.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Snoring Rock wrote:Not sure how close you watch this kind of stuff, but this should be a very exciting GenCon. Frog God Games (Necromancer Games) is making a come-back and will have a booth. Also; anyone remember Harn World? Columbia Games will be back in the entrepreneur area and they are updating Harn! Goodman Games is back after an absence since 4e as well.
Emphasis mine.
I snagged a ticket in the on-the-grid HarnMaster game this year. This will be my first time playing HarnMaster. 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Hey, the Giant's Wager: Trial by Fire for the 2pm session tickets are now up for sale on the GenCon web. Go get them tickets! I am running that game!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Is this the game?

RPG1350693 - The Giant's Rapture: Trial by Fire

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If that is your game SleepyStones, I will have to miss it as I am already playing in a True Dungeon event (that cost me frackin' $44, so I'm sort of committed). It saddens me greatly that I will not be able to sit in on this game... :( ... and that I spent $44 on True Dungeon.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Omote......you know you can stand out there and scalp that ticket. I did True Dungeon last year; that was a lot of fun, but not enough fun to warrant another trip. I will miss you at this game.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

So I submitted some late events and am waiting for them to be added to the events list; there will be three 2 hour events on Friday, and I may be submitting more. I really want to run off the grid games with no time limitations, as some of them go very long. Anyone want to throw down a game with me and my crew just let me know. I really want to playtest an adventure called Ascendancy of the Horned Legion.

Characters head to the hinterlands of Eichstadt near the Red Hills as rumors of a gathering ungern and humanoid army serving a Horned power that may be the new avatar of Unklar. In addition, tales of a magic anvil and hammer capable of forging artifacts of power has reached not only the characters but the enemy as well, and the secret to unlocking it's power is known only to the daughter of an old widower blacksmith. Characters investigate razed villages, take part in a battle to protect the blacksmiths daughter and her village, and track the captured slaves to a new stockade in the Red Hills. But whats this? The Hammer and Anvil were stolen by the enemy, to forge weapons of magical might? Wilderness adventure, mini cavern and dungeon crawls, and infiltrating a heavily armed stockade of ungern and goblin slavers await.... And this is part one of three. heh heh. So far this has taken around 12 hours of game play to get through, so not necessarily a con adventure, but we can get together and see how far we get, and play an additional day also if we feel the love.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok, so our illustrious Troll Lords entered a game for Saturday at 2 am. Yes, 2 am. The game had to be withdrawn and re-entered for 2 pm. I see that I purchased a ticket for my friend and some other lucky person purchased another. There are 6 more tickets for sale. The game is Saturday at 2 pm until 5 pm. This is you chance to sit a the table with the master....well it would be with me as CK but hey it's only 4 bucks! Come fight giants at Gen Con and then enjoy dinner afterward.

Look it us folks; RPG1350693 Giant's Rapture: Trial by Fire. Get your tickets now!!

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok, so I am going to GenCon a day earlier that usual. I normally show up about 9am Thursday morning. I never have a line at the hotel check in, but always miss the grand opening on the trade floor. So I will there Wednesday about 6:30pm.

1. Will I be in line to check in?
2. Who else will be there? Should be schedule an off-rid game to open GenCon?
3. Maybe dinner at the Ram?

What are we doing Wednesday when I get there?