Treebore's and Other's Houserules for CnC

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
adaen
Red Cap

Treebore's and Other's Houserules for CnC

Post by adaen »

I remember that Treebore has a standard list of Houserules that he uses, but can't seem to find it. Can anyone direct me to the link?

While I'm at it, does anyone else have a list of houserules that they use for CnC? I'd be interested in seeing them.

All the Best,

Adaen

Aramis
Lore Drake

Re: Treebore's and Other's Houserules for CnC

Post by Aramis »

They are usually to be found at the start of his online game thread.

Presently, they can be found here:

viewtopic.php?p=191119#p191119

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Not too much, and a lot of it isn't even really house rules per se, so much as character creation guidelines and the like.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Nf1fU ... sp=sharing

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I believe Omote keeps a link to his in the sig area of every post he makes.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here are the house rules I'll be using in my next campaign.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Here are my house rules.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Mine in the second post of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11241

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Omote wrote:Omote's Advanced C&C Rules
https://sites.google.com/site/advancedc ... expansions

~O
Though these are some extra rules that I have on the website, I do not necessarily use many of them in my games. For my current Bard's Gate / Rappan Athuk Reborn C&C campaign, these are the house rules I am using:

Natural 20 To-Hit in Combat
In the campaign, rolling a "natural 20" is always a successful hit and causes additional damage. The additional damage caused is determined by the type of die the weapon does for damage summarized on the following chart:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1d1/1d2 adds +0 additional damage
1d3/1d4 adds +1 additional damage
1d6/1d8 adds +2 additional damage
1d10/1d12 adds +3 additional damage
When a weapon does multiple dice of damage, say 2d4, the additional damage added for rolling a natural 20 is multiplied by the number of dice of weapon damage. For a weapon that does 2d4, the additional damage would be +2 (1+1). If a weapon does 3d4 damage, the additional damage would be +3 (1+1+1). If a weapon does 3d6 damage, the additional damage for rolling a natural 20 would be +6 (+2+2+2).

Rest and the Recuperation of Lost Hit Points
With standard rest (as described in the PHB), hit points are regained at a rate based on the character's current HD, and is summarized in the following chart:
1d3/1d4 : 1 HP per night of standard rest
1d6/1d8 : 2 HP
1d10/1d12 : 3 HP

Saving Throw Bonuses
Characters receive a bonus to saving throws based on their overall or primary level. The bonus to all saving throws (not skill checks or other Siege-related checks) is +1 at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24.

SPELLS: First Aid
The First Aid spell described in the PHB has been changed and will restore 1 hit point to any creature the spell is successfully cast upon. The other effects of this spell remain unaltered.

Zero Hit Points
If a character is ever reduced to 0 (zero) hit points exactly, the character must make a standard constitution check or be rendered unconscious as described in the hit points section of the PHB. If the character passes the constitution check the character remains conscious, but at 0 hit points. While conscious at 0 hit points, the character cannot perform any strenuous activities (like combat, moving quickly, spell casting, etc.) until he is brought back to 1 hit point or more. Should a character perform a strenuous activity while at 0 hit points, he will be rendered unconscious immediately after the strenuous act. The CK can rule that if a strenuous activity is performed while at 0 hit points, a further constitution check may be attempted to see if the action can be performed before the character passes out, specifically in the instance of combat or spell casting, but is not limited to just those activities.

Any character rendered unconscious while at 0 hit points will remain unconscious for 1d6 hours. After that time the character will be conscious, but remain at 0 hit points until healing has been administered.

Healing can be applied to any character at 0 hit points whether conscious or not, and the full amount of restored hit points is applied as normal.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:
With standard rest (as described in the PHB), hit points are regained at a rate based on the character's current HD, and is summarized in the following chart:
~O
Interesting...I like that!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

I have a few rules that are a little world-centric to my homebrew, because of the more high-magic nature of the world... but these are under constant construction. A couple that are more notable:

Clerical Domain Perks:
Clerics devoted to single deities within the WoP mythos gain particular domain abilities. Priests of the Arianna, the Maiden of Love and Healing, for instance, gain an additional die to any heal/cure spell and the ability to use a Bow in addition to their standard weapons; Priests of Ehdrasim, the Lightbringer, gain a +1 to any attempt to Turn Undead, and may freely cast light once per day. A full list of Domain powers is still forthcoming.

Critical Hits:
A roll of a natural 20 is a Critical Hit without any confirmation die required-- unless the character requires a roll of a natural 20 to even hit the opponent. In the event of a critical hit, the player may choose to use any of three options:
A) Roll damage dice with an additional d6 to add to effect (1-2: Max damage (discard damage roll), 3: Double damage rolled, 4: Triple damage rolled, 5: Double max damage, 6: Triple max damage.)
B) Pull card from Paizo Critical Hit deck (GM will ignore any non-applicable effects or statuses)
C) Max Damage + "exploding" damage die roll additional damage.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Omote wrote:Omote's Advanced C&C Rules
https://sites.google.com/site/advancedc ... expansions

~O
Hey, do you really want to up-complicate your C&C games? Well then check out the above link and get yourself rezzed with even more new AC&C rules additons/expansions. The new stuff is:

-C&C Combat Expanded
-The Crusader's Guide to Spellcraft & Sorcery

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Omote wrote:
~O
+1
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
https://youtu.be/c7ULaz7yRig

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Hey Adaen,
I've had my houserules floating around the internet for a while and I've actually gotten feedback from a few groups who use and like them.
Check them out at my C&C page. My Player's Handbook is done, though I'm always tinkering with it. My DMG is 90% done... but is still being proofread and has lots of typos in it.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

zombiehands
Hlobane Orc

Post by zombiehands »

csperkins1970 wrote:Hey Adaen,
I've had my houserules floating around the internet for a while and I've actually gotten feedback from a few groups who use and like them.
Check them out at my C&C page. My Player's Handbook is done, though I'm always tinkering with it. My DMG is 90% done... but is still being proofread and has lots of typos in it.
Do you have a MSWord Version of the PHB?
There are two novels that can change a 14-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
John Rogers

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

zombiehands wrote:Do you have a MSWord Version of the PHB?
PM me your email address and I'll send you a link.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Desrimal wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:
Omote wrote:
~O
+1
My current preference is rest restores 1 hp per level per day. It always seemed crazy to me that a high level character injured to the brink of death would take weeks if not months to recover fully, but a 2 hp meat shield would be back to full strength after 2 days of rest.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Desrimal wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:
Omote wrote:
~O
+1
My current preference is rest restores 1 hp per level per day. It always seemed crazy to me that a high level character injured to the brink of death would take weeks if not months to recover fully, but a 2 hp meat shield would be back to full strength after 2 days of rest.
Yep, thats always been my problem too. I just haven't officially addressed it in my house rules because typically I don't have to worry about high level characters taking weeks to heal, because their high level cleric buddy will have them taken care of in a day or two. If not in a few seconds.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

csperkins1970 wrote:Hey Adaen,
I look forward to the completion of the DMG, Mr. Perkins. I've enjoyed reading your PHB. I recently perused it for the second time. I'll certainly be using it to influence my game.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Thanks!

The DMG is moving along (I currently have a volunteer proofreader going through it page-by-page) and is being updated regularly. Other than some page # reference and a table of contents it's pretty much ready to go.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Nice! I am trying to figure out if I want to go Primeless per your rules or not. I'm reading and re-reading A0 & A1 right now as they are the adventures I plan on running. Once I get my head wrapped around them and am fluent in the area (after shoe-horning it into Greyhawk in the western Pomarj/eastern Principality of Ulek area [near where I set B1 - Keep on the Borderlands]), I'll make my systemic decision.

If you have any thoughts to share on the subject, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

I found that ditching primes sped up the game and made level/ability modifiers all-the-more important. Some of my players didn't care for primes because the prime bonus far outstripped those for ability score modifiers... which felt kinda wrong to them.
To me having a flat target number of 15 (d20+modifiers must equal/exceed 15) worked well as a middle-ground base difficulty for most ability checks.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

Quisk question cs. what if you went back to primes and give a +3 bonus? thus the 12/18 is now 12/15.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Hey Mordrene,
In my first draft of houserules I used a 10/15 split for prime/non-prime checks, which worked well and didn't make human characters feel cheated (as the extra prime is their only racial ability). In my current ruleset, which doesn't use primes, I give humans a +1 to all ability checks which is nice and simple... and always helpful.
A +3 prime bonus would undercut the mechanical reason behind choosing "human" as a player race. If you use a +3 prime bonus, I'd give humans 4 primes rather than 2, while giving half-orcs and half-elves a 3rd prime. That would level the playing field between humans/demihumans and work pretty well (in fact, I think it's a MUCH better solution than the 10/15 split that I used to use!).

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mac Golden »

Oldest house rule in the house game of the trolls:

Nat20 = max damage plus 1d4