What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Just Jeff
Red Cap

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by Just Jeff »

I had my wife watch the Pandemic episode of Tabletop, which I've played a couple of times. She agreed it'd be a good one for us to get, so hopefully that'll be an end-of-year addition to our collection.

Ticket to Ride and Battlelore have been our go-to games of late, but yesterday we pulled out Elfenland. First time in a few years. It's a tough game with only two players, but my wife hit seven cities on both her first and second turns. In the end, however, I managed to reach all 20 cities (with two players, 19 is my usual target) to her 19.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Just Jeff wrote:I had my wife watch the Pandemic episode of Tabletop.
Most people probably know this browser flash game. If you don't you should check it out. I've linked to the Kongregate site, but it can be found everywhere, just need to Google it.

It is a fun game and I've played it off and on for about 5 years. The latest version is called Pandemic 2 and is an improvement over the original. I just wish that a 3 was in the pipes but it looks unlikely.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/DarkRea ... pandemic-2

There is really only one thing you need to know, when playing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/shut-down-everything

Another tid-bit. Greenland will always be the last to close hospitals so they'll fight to the death to cure the disease.

:lol:

P.S. I've won it twice so it is possible. I had screen shots on another site but they went belly-up. :cry:

Edit: Yeah! Just started a new game and right off the bat Madgascar got infected first. :shock:

GO THE CREEPIDOID BACTERIA!
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'd like to try out A&A Europe and Pacific in one big game. Sadly, I only have one of them. Would also like to check out the new Fortress America. I'm curious to see if they changed any rules, or the just the board and the pieces.

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

I got the Elder Sign game. Only got one game in so far. Lots of fun was had.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

MattyHelms
Ungern

Post by MattyHelms »

Dungeon is getting a lot of use around here lately. My wife, who is not a gamer and may just be giving in to Stockholm Syndrome, can't go too long without Lords of Waterdeep.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

MattyHelms wrote:...can't go too long without Lords of Waterdeep.
I bought that soon after it came out, didn't get to play it until a recent Con, and I really like it. If Dungeon wasn't so popular with my family I think I would have gotten them to play Waterdeep by now.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well on Tuesday, in the midst of the Hurricane, Amazon delivered Memoir '44. I've long wanted to get the game, but either it was at my FLGS or I choose something else.

And yesterday, Dungeon! showed up on my doorstep as well. Looking forward to some gaming goodness this weekend!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

We finally got The Frozen Waste expansion for Runebound to the table. It adds some interesting mechanics to the mix, some of which I rather liked, but my wife thinks it might have exceeded her tolerance for fiddly bits. We'll give it another whirl in week or two and see what she thinks.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

We probably played Runebound 40 times in the first two months we owned it, despite my wife running into the assassin on her first turn in the first game. (I think he killed her four times before she finally bested him, refusing to go anywhere else until he was dead.)

We only use a few expansion decks, just enough to keep us from cycling through any of the challenge decks before the game is over. The Frozen Waste is the first expansion board we've played. (I like that the weather is trying to kill you.)

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

serleran wrote:Oh well. We're going to try Burn in Hell and see how that goes. I think it would be better if it were named Sin Rummy.
I don't know if one could still find it, but if you could get your hands on: Lunch Money, it is a pretty wild fast play game about kids stealing lunch money from each other using combination cards. (Pennies were used as tokens, appropriate enough.) There was a similar game called: Beer Money, but I never bothered with it as I liked the visualization of kids hitting kids, in the face or locking them in a headlock etc. than some kind of barroom brawl.

Another card game I took a chance with (And, yes it was because of the gimmick) was Gloom. Gimmick was see through cards (Except were the numbers and characters were painted.) Didn't know what to expect, but it was a pretty straight forward rules set, that was easy to learn and surprisingly would make a good family game. I have vague memories as we didn't play often but you each had a family and you or your opponent could put cards on top of a character to change its abilities and power. (Either yours or theirs. Hence the see through cards.) Object, to wipe out the other players family. That is really all I can remember, but I do remember having fun with it.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Playing Dungeon! (the new WOTC version). I enjoyed it. Would like to see PvP options though. In the interim, I'd recommend just using the Evil Cleric, Evil Rogue and Evil Wizard to represent the players stats if they're attacked, with a choice of treasure by the victor. If you have a fighter, use the Drow or Druegar.

On another note, any of you out there Card Sleevers? Just curious.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

serleran wrote:Grabbed Blood Bowl 1st edition. Thinking of running a league but there aren't any people around here, at least physically.
Blood Bowl is awesome! Other than a couple of Wizkids games, I've never bothered or really like miniatures games. Blood Bowl was the exception.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

+1 on the Blood Bowl Goodness. If you do like BB and haven't checked out the video game by Cyanide Studios, you are missing out big time.

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index.php ... nfo&id=158

The reason I was asking about Card Sleeves up thread is I just put them on the new Blood Bowl team manager game by FFG. Haven't played it yet, but seems to be pretty fun.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Not a boardgame, but we've had some fun with the "Evil Baby Orphanage" cardgame. Protip: getting Caligula sucks.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I've never seen Blood Bowl bigger than in my home city of Cleveland. There are at least 2 leagues going that I am aware of and one of the leagues has 18 players (and they each have to play 10 games + playoffs!). I think they are playing 4th or 5th edition though. It's pretty crazy. I played it quite a bit back in the day, but now I'm not a fan.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

In the midst of an Axis & Allies game (original rules, MB Power Series big box).

Also picked up Munchkin Apocalypse.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Managed to score several of the Munchkin Christmas Expansions: Santa's Revenge, Reindeer Games, Naughty & Nice; Munchkin Jolly Jumbo d6 Green and Jolly Jumbo Red dice sets. Hoping to get in a fun Christmas theme game of Munchkin in a week or so!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well, scored a huge amount of board games at a factory outlet mall after Christmas. Included in that was The Legend of Drizzt and Lords of Water Deep, Spiderman Jenga, Yatzee, Payday, the Settlers of Catan expansion, Deluxe Munchkin, Rubix Cube and a few others.

Jenga and the Legend of Drizzt have gotten some play in, along with a rousing game of checkers (with a A Christmas Story theme). So far I managed to thoroughly scramble the cube and only manage one side with the same color. Finally ran a solo game of Death Angel by FFG. The rules are bit confusing, but definitely a fun game with a lot of potential. Refereed a game of Memoir '44 for some new folks, which was fun as well.

I will say, I'm rather impressed with the D&D Adventure System. Fairly simply and you're able to play solo as well. Might now start picking the other two up (Wrath and Castle Ravenloft).

Bunch of games in the bullpen waiting to play, but looking at Dungeon Command next. I picked up the Sting of Lloth so we'll see how it plays.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Does the Catan Dice game count? I'm digging that since Christmas.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Fantasy Flight Games' Game of Thrones, 2nd edition. This is a pretty masterful wargame, and the designer did a fantastic job making the game play feel like the books. Very highly reccomended.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Playing more of the Legend of Drizzt. I made through the 1st scenario no problem, the 2nd adventure kept kicking my but until today when I beat the assassin and won the crown. Now onto the 3rd adventure facing down the Shadow dragon.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Setting up a game room in my house and pulled out Death Angel the Card Game by Fantasy Flight Games again. Didn't get too far with it the last time as the rulebook is rather difficult and disjointed. The game can be played solo, which is one of the reason I got it. Well today, I watched a few tutorials on how to play and ran a solo game at the same time.

The game is really quite fun and deadly. My Space Marine Squad of Six got slaughtered. Still more to learn, but the tutorials on You Tube helped a lot. Just wish FFG would post some!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I played the newest version of the Dungeon! board game with my son on Father's Day. That was a lot of fun.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Don't think that I mentioned getting Munchin Quest and the Expansion a few weeks ago. We've played it several times since, and it is well liked by my kids and some of their friends, as well as me. To the point my wife picked us up a Munchkin 5 deck to use with the game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TacoChemic
Skobbit

Post by TacoChemic »

Mage Wars - Awesome and somewhat similar to Magic: The Gathering or Summoner Wars. I think it beats M:TG (haven't played Summoner Wars) hands down.
Settlers of Catan
Last Night on Earth

It's hard to get interest into any sort of analog gaming these days however. :cry:

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

TacoChemic wrote:Mage Wars - Awesome and somewhat similar to Magic: The Gathering or Summoner Wars. I think it beats M:TG (haven't played Summoner Wars) hands down.
Settlers of Catan
Last Night on Earth

It's hard to get interest into any sort of analog gaming these days however. :cry:
I love me some MtG I don't think I could sell my cards or stop playing