What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by Relaxo »

Dude, your house looks like a FLGS! LOL

Huzzah!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

This so warms my heart to see that such game rooms exist. Now if you can manage to get yourself a Sultan,

then it I could rate this as an "11".

De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Played another rousing game of Battlelore. This time, the Goblins made an appearence and I soundly routed my opponent with a 2 to 6 victory.
The Goblins were a bit underwhelming, though, I think they can be pretty good if you use them as skirmishers and mass the lizard Calvary. I think the full force comes in, when Blue or Red Flag Gobbos show up, but alas my opponent never got them into Melee range. We'll switch sides next week and I'll have a go at running them and see how they pan out.

A bit off topic, but I was gifted an unopen copy of the Rogue Trooper (For the PC made by Rebellion Developments and published by Eidos Interactive). It was an older game, meaning that it came out in 2006, so to get working properly on Windows 7, but over all, a pretty fun game. Basically a thematic 1st Person shooter. Played to the end in the normal/basic mode. It was a good story line which details the Quartz Zone Massacre and the hunt for the traitor. I enjoyed the Comics from 2000AD and this was a fun diversion.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Battlelore is a seriously fun game. I need to dust off my Battlelore sets and get a game going.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Blood Bowl Team Manger just came in. Looks to be very fun.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Space Hulk. Going to gear up for a Warhammer Quest style Space Hulk game in the future. There is an expansion coming out for DeathWatch called Ark of Lost Souls which deals with the mega-dungeons of the 40th century, Space Hulks! This should provide some of the details that I will need for my Space Hulk campaign.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Recently played the Munchkin Boardgame, Lords of Waterdeep and The Game of Thrones. I was seriously disappointed in The Game of Thrones. So was my wife, but my daughter liked it. I also got in another game of Shadows Over Camelot. This time I was the Traitor, and I won. Which is not really hard to do, considering how tough the rest of the game is.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Treebore wrote:Recently played the Munchkin Boardgame...
What did you think of the Boardgame version of Munchkin? Personally, I've played several games and have had a lot of fun with it. A bit more involved than a regular game of munchkin though. With one group of Players it was a non-starter. Despite being Munchkin fans, it was too much for them, though we were all a bit tired when we started.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:The Game of Thrones. I was seriously disappointed in The Game of Thrones.
I guess you could class me as a "fan" of GoT, and I first played the board game, when it first came out, (5 years ago?) and enjoyed it enough that we had regular games played every week. I love Diplomacy and it had elements of that, which meshed pretty good. I understand that there has been many additions since then and I see that they have just combined them all into the latest edition. I've always wondered how unbalanced everything could have come with the add-ons. The original was fairly easy to learn and each house were fairly even that to win you pretty much needed to ally yourself, temporarily, with other houses and back-stab to get anywhere.

Just wondering what edition you played? I've looked at buying the game, again, but was skeptical bout the newest version. Hate to spend that kind of cash, on a game I expect, to find out it isn't.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Treebore wrote:The Game of Thrones. I was seriously disappointed in The Game of Thrones.
I guess you could class me as a "fan" of GoT, and I first played the board game, when it first came out, (5 years ago?) and enjoyed it enough that we had regular games played every week. I love Diplomacy and it had elements of that, which meshed pretty good. I understand that there has been many additions since then and I see that they have just combined them all into the latest edition. I've always wondered how unbalanced everything could have come with the add-ons. The original was fairly easy to learn and each house were fairly even that to win you pretty much needed to ally yourself, temporarily, with other houses and back-stab to get anywhere.

Just wondering what edition you played? I've looked at buying the game, again, but was skeptical bout the newest version. Hate to spend that kind of cash, on a game I expect, to find out it isn't.

Second edition.

We enjoyed the Munchkin Board game. I just had horrible luck. I am not kidding here, every single card I drew was a curse. The only reason I ever got a class or race was because other players gave me them when they had to discard extra cards. So I didn't even get to level 5.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

Just received notice that my Dungeon board game is on its way from Amazon.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hal G wrote:Just received notice that my Dungeon board game is on its way from Amazon.
and I just ordered mine from Amazon. Should be here Friday.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:The reprint?

If you have the original, could you please let me know how mangled the rules are... I mean, if they're close to the the original, even if the characters have changed.
I don't own the original, only played it, and remember really enjoying it. So I went ahead and ordered this in hope of repeating the old fun.

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

Treebore wrote:
serleran wrote:The reprint?

If you have the original, could you please let me know how mangled the rules are... I mean, if they're close to the the original, even if the characters have changed.
I don't own the original, only played it, and remember really enjoying it. So I went ahead and ordered this in hope of repeating the old fun.

Me too.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sitting in front of me here are the previous two editions. I don't have the never version yet, like Treebore, mine shall arrive on Friday. But, the new version appears to be similar, but slightly different. I will let you know when I receive my copy the differences.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The most recent version of DUNGEON! is virtually identical to the 1980 version. The rules are a bit more dense but only as to explain all of the exceptions to the rules that the cards present (ESP medallion, Crystal Ball, Magic Swords, Traps, etc.). The only difference seems to be that wizards now start with 1d6+6 spells at the beginning of play, and if the wizard wants to replensih spells, he has to go to the entrace chamber and regenerate one spell per turn. Oh, and the chamber rooms apparently don't do anything cool if you beat the monster in them (no healing, teleport, or free spells that was in the late 80s version of the game).

The artwork is much different than both versions of the DUNGEON! game. This newest edition is more like the older 1980 version and not as colorful as the late 80s version. All of the artwork is upgraded on the cards and game board.

Essentially, it's the very same game as the 1980 version.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote:I thought they added the cleric class. Perhaps so, but is it without spells then (assuming it has been added) or does it just replace the "superhero?"
That's right serleran, the Cleric class replaces the superhero. But, thinking about it the cleric class is a bit different in that it has no spells, and only moderate combat ability. In this version it needs 10,000 GP to win.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I did not look to specifically at the monster cards to determine if the cleric is good against the "undead" types. But that is a good idea, and I hope they used it in the game.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Finally played the new Dungeon! Board game with my wife and kids (ages 16, 19 and 20). It played fast and we all enjoyed it. Enough so that we plan on playing again tomorrow after my Monday night C&C game.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I have a board game group (No interest in rpg's) where we try different board games. I've tried Supremacy and Fortress America with the group. After a little while they kind of grew bored because of the complex nature of the games, the turns were confusing to them so the value of having fun diminished. Which is too bad because after a few sessions the rounds become more automatic and what once was difficult becomes second nature. They like to stay in the safety of simpler games like Carcaccsonne and Ticket to Ride. I have the Starcraft game and as cool as the presentation is, the rules are complex and when I figured it out, it just seemed lacking and didn't really emulate that game/books all that well. $89 bucks down the drain.

I hear that the new 1812 is a very cool game, but a long time ago I played an original 1812 game were you can see it being played here. It was very rules light but still a fun game. It successfully included things like lake battles, land battles and the wild card of the Natives helping the Canadians. Oddly enough it incorporated the fact that the American's were actually better with the lake battles than the Canadians. All the pieces were kind'a half cubes in that the surface was square but to keep it up they expanded the sides, enough to make it half of the front. On the front of each piece there were a series of dots, on each end that had 2 to 4 dots depending on the army/navy's power. Every time that troop got hit for damage you simply rotated the piece from higher to lower. So, if you had a piece that had three sides with dots (on each side you had 1, 2 and 3) and was at full strength, if you got hit you rotated the piece so the new number shows at the top. (In this case you'd rotate the piece to 2, lowering the the strength. Once depleted you could never make them whole again.) Natives were not automatic for the Canadians, they had to meet special conditions to get them into play and if I recall correctly they had their own special rules. Red were the Canadians, blue were the Americans and green were the Natives. It was easy to play, but high on strategy and the players were evenly matched at the beginning of play. (Well the Canadians were under-manned at the beginning, but as soon as the Natives joined the battle, depending on how the previous battles went, the Canadians were either holding their own, were losing or rarely winning.) Pieces could be stacked to create larger groups. I think there was a way to form new army/navy groups from the defeated ones. But, I could be wrong, making it a war of attrition.

I only have vague memories of the game, but I do know that I had the same kind of fun as I do playing Memoir '44.

I wish I still had the game as I got many hours of fun with it.

I'd like to try Diplomacy, on them, I have the skills to referee, it is a simple game, on the surface, but I don't think my group could handle the amount of betrayal that is the hallmark of Diplomacy.

I'd also like to try Memoir '44 on them but it is a 2 player game. I'd also like to try Axis & Allies but it is a game you either like or are lukewarm to. Giving my groups dynamics I conclude that it'd be less than successful. (I'm glad to see that the latest Axis & Allies fixed the loopholes from the original. We broke the original where the Axis always won.)
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Sir Ironside wrote:I'd also like to try Memoir '44 on them but it is a 2 player game. I'd also like to try Axis & Allies but it is a game you either like or are lukewarm to. Giving my groups dynamics I conclude that it'd be less than successful. (I'm glad to see that the latest Axis & Allies fixed the loopholes from the original. We broke the original where the Axis always won.

You could always play Memoir '44 with the Operation Overlord expansion. It allows you to play, with a single copy of the game up to 4 players on each side. Should be enough for even large game groups.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en ... /overlord/

You could also give Attack! a try. I actually played this for the first time this past Saturday, though I've owned it for years. Fairly simply to play, but a lot of Strategy with both land and sea battles. As we ran out of time, we decided to call the game with a final Naval battle for control of the sea lands. I was down to one submarine card against 9 Battle Ships and Aircraft Carrier, and was quite blessed with defeating everyone of them in a row.

Attack Expansion, adds a lot more stuff, to include actual ships instead of cards, Politics and Other diplomatic cards will allow players to spy on each other, develop Trade Routes, Technology Card and slight twist on the resource stuff.

http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetail ... ode=EGL800

One other note on Attack! The version I have is a bit different from the one that Eagle games sells now. The revised it a bit and offer an Attack Deluxe Expansion now. I think their 8 sided dice for ship combat, I'm sure you can find out more on Board Game Geek.

On another note, I got a copy of Blood Bowl Team Manager, which I'm in the process of adding sleeves to the all the cards (yeah I'm one of those guys, but, I was totally validated when my nephews spilled soda and my Kill Doctor Lucky Cards were saved!)
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Played a late night game of Dungeon with 4 out of 5 of us this time. We rolled so pathetically the game lasted nearly 90 minutes instead of 30 to 45 minutes. Still enjoyed it. This game is definitely a favorite for my family.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Ive got both expansions in the box as well. Funtimes. Very fun game.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am reading over the just released 12 page OGRE scenarios PDF, and I have to say I am getting excited about playing this!