TLG 8125 Classic Monsters (Available)

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Re: Classic Monsters The Manual

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

We seem to rotate mailpersons, but we have one - a big fellow - who, knowing of my disability - brings the packages to our door rather than to the apartment complex's office. Gotta love a guy like that!

Especially when the package today was all this great TLG loot!! Woo-woo!!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Drew
Mist Elf

Post by Drew »

Omote wrote:I'll take South Korea for getting there first.

~O
Do not underestimate the inefficiency of the Army Post Office.

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

Can we get the digital version soon, so I can stop stalking this thread? :P

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Peter wrote:Can we get the digital version soon, so I can stop stalking this thread? :P
But - we like you stalking this thread! 8-)
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Troll Lord wrote:Hey folks,

We hit a bit of a snag with the shipping and it choked off the shipment of the larger orders. Essentially we had pre-packaged and labeled the boxes, but come to find out the postage was 50% greater than anticipated (for media mail), and about 5 bucks LESS for priority. So, had to repackage everything and start over (on the 100+ orders) but these are heading out on Monday so you should all be getting them soon.

Anyone who did a regular pre-order, I made sure all of those went out today. You SHOULD have an email in your inbox telling you that it shipped. If you ordered one and do not have said email, check your spam filter and if still nothing, email me at orders AT trolllord.com.

And for any and all who did the kickstarter, we still have a large number of address missing. I'll post a list here and on kickstarter to give it a shake up.

Thanks all for the patience!

Steve
Haven't got an email or a package yet. I'll send you an email Steve. I'm from the Kickstarter group.

Do I read this right and you made sure you sent the regular pre-order before the kickstarter pre-orders?

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

Do I read this right and you made sure you sent the regular pre-order before the kickstarter pre-orders?
That is exactly the way I read it too. I was not amused. Luckily mine came Saturday, which settled me down.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Peter wrote:
That is exactly the way I read it too. I was not amused. Luckily mine came Saturday, which settled me down.
No. I mis-spoke, or did not speak clearly.

The bulk of the kickstarter shipped first, even before the retail shops. What did not ship first was the highest level of support because of the packaging problem. The bulk of those shipped out last week, the last of them today, with the exception of 8 over seas orders.

What DID NOT ship are those who did not get us an address; there are alot of those, about 25 by my estimation.

I will send everyone who DID NOT send in the address an email tomorrow from the kickstarter page.

Thanks,
Steve

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I have to say that, while I understand the delays of shipping the highest tier out, I was absolutely surprised (and a bit pissed) that the local game store who has been generally unreliable in the past for bringing in TLG stuff actually had the copy of Classic Monsters on the shelf when I popped in today. Hell, I've never even seen a copy of the CKG on those shelves...

You see, I basically gave up doing my regular shopping there since the store is so unreliable despite the fact that it usually costs me more to order direct due to shipping. I've also tried ordering stuff through the store but that is an exercise in frustration as they are not very accommodating. It would really be nice to have my Kickstarter this week with tomorrow being a perfect day to receive such a package.

M

Rhonin84
Skobbit

Post by Rhonin84 »

I bought mine last week on Thursday from my FLGS in the Chicagoland area...

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

moriarty777 wrote:I have to say that, while I understand the delays of shipping the highest tier out, I was absolutely surprised (and a bit pissed) that the local game store who has been generally unreliable in the past for bringing in TLG stuff actually had the copy of Classic Monsters on the shelf when I popped in today. Hell, I've never even seen a copy of the CKG on those shelves...

You see, I basically gave up doing my regular shopping there since the store is so unreliable despite the fact that it usually costs me more to order direct due to shipping. I've also tried ordering stuff through the store but that is an exercise in frustration as they are not very accommodating. It would really be nice to have my Kickstarter this week with tomorrow being a perfect day to receive such a package.

M
Mort,

And you have every reason to be pissed. This one lands squarely on my desk. I let things sit too long once these books arrived. Though they began shipping immediately, they did not ship in the orderly fashion, nor in the order, that I had envisioned. From personalizing the books (yours are not just signed, but each book personalized) to the shipping snafu this was a tall order and I mistakenly allowed myself to get distracted by other things that should not have distracted me (from the 5th printing to other print shop jobs). All the kickstarter backers put their money in good faith with us and we should have been faster in getting these books out to you.

I apologize for this.

And promise, when we launch the kickstarter for the PH, it won't happen again. The book won't even ship to the distributors until backer orders are all out and in transit for starters. Other problems that erupted here, won't be a problem again.

Again, I apologize and hope that you won't hold this against TLG; it lands squarely on my shoulders.

Thank you,
Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Here are the names of the people whose addresses I do not have:

Scott Morrison
Mario Butter
Calvin Shafer
Warren Sistrom
Aramis
Jake Parker
Belen

bigbadworm
Sterling Brucks
Oliver von Spreckelsen

Richard Barton
Matt Murphy
Gareth Larter

Trampas Whiteman
Gerry Buldak
Michael Lochtefeld
Doug Palmer
Carinn Seabolt
Michael Gross
Karan Singh
Jason Lauman
Greg Kramer
Ray Colina
Peter Schnell
John Seibel
Chris Perkins

If you are on this list, please email us at [email protected]

As these come in I will italicize them.

Thank you.
Steve

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Steve... Thanks for the reply and I appreciate you taking responsibility for some of these problems. I don't hold it against TLG nor do I hold anything against you. My annoyance was directed at the situation but it was also equally directed at the local game store which, despite decades of operation, can't be relied upon.

TLG is a business and I can understand the need to get product out to distributors and retailers as soon as possible. Money is tied in to creating this product and a print run can be a hefty investment if it is being outsourced. Sitting on product just to satisfy a smaller customer base is certainly not what I suggesting nor would I ever ask such a thing. I would rather see the return on your investment as a publisher to come in sooner rather than later in order to help further the needs and plans of the company. Maybe there's a better middle ground between what happened (considering all the factors) and waiting to ship to distributors till all backers / pre-orders have shipped. Naturally, waiting a few more days because the books need to be signed / personalized makes sense but up to a point. Of course, it was very nice to have access to the PDF copy all those weeks ago so, in a sense, backers did have access to the material albeit in a digital form.

Personally speaking, I appreciate the personalized touches... the color plates my copy will have as opposed to what's in stores... and generally, the great customer service and attention that TLG brings to various concerns once they've come up. On that count, you've frequently went above and beyond what others would have done.

It looks to be a great project all in all, judging by the PDF copy, and I can't wait to go through the physical copy of the book. Thanks for hearing my initial rant.

:)

Pat "Moriarty" Bellavance

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Did I mention the t-shirt? Forgot to mention the t-shirt. I tossed it over a step-ladder while ripping the books out of the box and completely forgot about it until Cherie walked in the bedroom with it. Did I mention it looks a lot better on her than on me? (So I like legs. Sue me.)
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Troll Lord wrote:Here are the names of the people whose addresses I do not have:

Scott Morrison
Mario Butter
Calvin Shafer
Warren Sistrom
Aramis
Jake Parker
Belen

bigbadworm
Sterling Brucks
Oliver von Spreckelsen

Richard Barton
Matt Murphy
Gareth Larter

Trampas Whiteman
Gerry Buldak
Michael Lochtefeld
Doug Palmer
Carinn Seabolt
Michael Gross
Karan Singh
Jason Lauman
Greg Kramer
Ray Colina
Peter Schnell
John Seibel
Chris Perkins

Thank you.
Steve
A private message has been sent to everyone on this list.

Thanks folks

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

moriarty777 wrote:I have to say that, while I understand the delays of shipping the highest tier out, I was absolutely surprised (and a bit pissed) that the local game store who has been generally unreliable in the past for bringing in TLG stuff actually had the copy of Classic Monsters on the shelf when I popped in today. Hell, I've never even seen a copy of the CKG on those shelves...

M
I'm also curious why they got the Classic Monsters but NOT the CKG and PH. Ding fir blasted shippers!

Steve

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Troll Lord wrote:I'm also curious why they got the Classic Monsters but NOT the CKG and PH. Ding fir blasted shippers!

Steve
Heh... They've carried the PHB and M&T in the past (including the latest printings) but I never have seen the CKG on their shelves. It is entirely possible that they got a copy... perhaps two when it first came out and didn't bother restocking it after the fact. This happens to a lot of lines which isn't Pathfinder or D&D proper. Mind you, they usually list it in their store inventory when they do initially receive it so if they did, it never made the list.

Actually, their failure to carry it is why I still don't have a physical copy of the CKG -- something the $100 kickstarter package will finally rectify. :)

The Classic Monsters book on the other hand has stocked and shelved for a week now (though I only saw the one copy).

M

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Troll Lord wrote:

M
Mort,

And you have every reason to be pissed. This one lands squarely on my desk. I let things sit too long once these books arrived. Though they began shipping immediately, they did not ship in the orderly fashion, nor in the order, that I had envisioned. From personalizing the books (yours are not just signed, but each book personalized) to the shipping snafu this was a tall order and I mistakenly allowed myself to get distracted by other things that should not have distracted me (from the 5th printing to other print shop jobs). All the kickstarter backers put their money in good faith with us and we should have been faster in getting these books out to you.

I apologize for this.

And promise, when we launch the kickstarter for the PH, it won't happen again. The book won't even ship to the distributors until backer orders are all out and in transit for starters. Other problems that erupted here, won't be a problem again.

Again, I apologize and hope that you won't hold this against TLG; it lands squarely on my shoulders.

Thank you,
Steve
Color me pissed also. I'm in the same boat as Mort (and the same town). I'm from the top tiered (100$) and I haven't gotten my package, AND I'm not on the list of those that you're missing addresses. I've sent an email yesterday after you asked for it, I still have to get an answer for that as well.

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

moriarty777 wrote:Money is tied in to creating this product and a print run can be a hefty investment if it is being outsourced. Sitting on product just to satisfy a smaller customer base is certainly not what I suggesting nor would I ever ask such a thing
Except that Kickstarters put their money on the line up front exactly for this, to support the print run. Having everybody else and his brother get it before those who invested 100$ in good faith is really pissing me off. Good luck with the 5th printing...

DaveyB
Red Cap

Post by DaveyB »

Troll Lord wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:Here are the names of the people whose addresses I do not have:

Scott Morrison
Mario Butter
Calvin Shafer
Warren Sistrom
Aramis
Jake Parker
Belen

bigbadworm
Sterling Brucks
Oliver von Spreckelsen

Richard Barton
Matt Murphy
Gareth Larter

Trampas Whiteman
Gerry Buldak
Michael Lochtefeld
Doug Palmer
Carinn Seabolt
Michael Gross
Karan Singh
Jason Lauman
Greg Kramer
Ray Colina
Peter Schnell
John Seibel
Chris Perkins

Thank you.
Steve
A private message has been sent to everyone on this list.

Thanks folks

Steve
Steve, I paid via PayPal back in November so I assume mine has not shipped. I sent you a PM about it (two actually, one was the reply to this that I sent as a PM by accident), and I will try the email posted above. If all else fails I will call you via phone. I guess that's what I get for doing things the old way. :)

I've had some correspondence with you before about this and you gave me the link for the PDF version, so I at least have that. The print version of this book as well as the Walsworth-printed CKG I sent you money for will hopefully get sent out soon. Hopefully Rune Lore won't be this hard to get. :)

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

moriarty777 wrote:Steve... Thanks for the reply and I appreciate you taking responsibility for some of these problems. I don't hold it against TLG nor do I hold anything against you. My annoyance was directed at the situation but it was also equally directed at the local game store which, despite decades of operation, can't be relied upon.

TLG is a business and I can understand the need to get product out to distributors and retailers as soon as possible. Money is tied in to creating this product and a print run can be a hefty investment if it is being outsourced. Sitting on product just to satisfy a smaller customer base is certainly not what I suggesting nor would I ever ask such a thing. I would rather see the return on your investment as a publisher to come in sooner rather than later in order to help further the needs and plans of the company. Maybe there's a better middle ground between what happened (considering all the factors) and waiting to ship to distributors till all backers / pre-orders have shipped. Naturally, waiting a few more days because the books need to be signed / personalized makes sense but up to a point. Of course, it was very nice to have access to the PDF copy all those weeks ago so, in a sense, backers did have access to the material albeit in a digital form.

Personally speaking, I appreciate the personalized touches... the color plates my copy will have as opposed to what's in stores... and generally, the great customer service and attention that TLG brings to various concerns once they've come up. On that count, you've frequently went above and beyond what others would have done.

It looks to be a great project all in all, judging by the PDF copy, and I can't wait to go through the physical copy of the book. Thanks for hearing my initial rant.

:)

Pat "Moriarty" Bellavance
I appreciate it Pat, but really I should have hit these orders when they came in as hard as I did in the past week. The whole project and my time got derailed by the legal snafu. I should have adjusted my schedule aggressively to account for that.

Interestingly I think releasing that PDF lulled my brain into a comfort zone. I kept thinking, "okay, they have the book and can use it" so let me fix this, that and the other and then tackle the orders. I had left Todd to organizing these and he is in no way ready for shipping hundreds of specially tailored packages (though he had a crash course now). I should not have done that.

But its been a good lesson to learn and when we move on the Rune Lore and Codex we have this in mind. And the PH will be a Kickstarter package.

Thanks again!
Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

DaveyB wrote:
Steve, I paid via PayPal back in November so I assume mine has not shipped. I sent you a PM about it (two actually, one was the reply to this that I sent as a PM by accident), and I will try the email posted above. If all else fails I will call you via phone. I guess that's what I get for doing things the old way. :)

I've had some correspondence with you before about this and you gave me the link for the PDF version, so I at least have that. The print version of this book as well as the Walsworth-printed CKG I sent you money for will hopefully get sent out soon. Hopefully Rune Lore won't be this hard to get. :)
Dave,

Interestingly I can't get into any messages that are sent to me on this board. The last one I can 'read' is dated April 27.

At any rate. I have answered your email and you are squared up. We'll get this one out tomorrow.

Thanks!
Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:Did I mention the t-shirt? Forgot to mention the t-shirt. I tossed it over a step-ladder while ripping the books out of the box and completely forgot about it until Cherie walked in the bedroom with it. Did I mention it looks a lot better on her than on me? (So I like legs. Sue me.)
That is classic. What is even more classic is that I sent your post over to my wife to read (she helped pack the shirts after she saw the crappy job we were doing folding them, so if its all bunched up, its my fault) and she was immediately curious who Cherie was and why I was talking to her about a tshirt...she had not read "from a post on the boards" hahahaah

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Thoom wrote:
Color me pissed also. I'm in the same boat as Mort (and the same town). I'm from the top tiered (100$) and I haven't gotten my package, AND I'm not on the list of those that you're missing addresses. I've sent an email yesterday after you asked for it, I still have to get an answer for that as well.
Thoom,

Where did you send the not too? The email address at [email protected] or did you send me a private message?

All packages have been shipped at this point, but for four that are going over seas that needed extra product put in them.

Steve

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Troll Lord wrote:
Thoom wrote:
Thoom,

Where did you send the not too? The email address at [email protected] or did you send me a private message?

All packages have been shipped at this point, but for four that are going over seas that needed extra product put in them.

Steve
You said to send an email to orders at trolllord dot com, so I did that.

I'm not over seas. I'll send another email at the above address.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Thoom wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:
Thoom wrote:
Thoom,

Steve
You said to send an email to orders at trolllord dot com, so I did that.

I'm not over seas. I'll send another email at the above address.
Thoom,

I checked the orders and didn't see anything seeing CM but one email from a guy up in Canada. Nothing in classic monsters @ yet either. Are you sending from work or waiting until you get home?

Thanks,
Steve

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

I'm a guy in Canada.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Thoom wrote:I'm a guy in Canada.
Roger that. I answered the only email I received from Canada a few minutes ago. I'm not sure why Todd did not answer that email yesterday (he monitors that email).

But if you are who I think you are then your package rolled out yesterday.

Sorry for the delay.

Steve

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

When all the copies are received by everyone who ordered them, would it be gauche for me to ask if the wait was worth it? I, for one, am certainly impressed. And I remember the days when it took MONTHS and MONTHS to get the simplest of wargames in the mail. IIRC, Steve Jackson Games was the first publisher/dealer to deliver an order to me within 14 days.

No, I'm not excusing Steve. (Our Steve, not Steve Jackson. I guess it helps to be named Steve in this industry.) But I also know how a small shop can be crushed under its own success. Anyone ever hear of Donald Duncan Jr?
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Troll Lord wrote:
Thoom wrote:I'm a guy in Canada.
Roger that. I answered the only email I received from Canada a few minutes ago. I'm not sure why Todd did not answer that email yesterday (he monitors that email).

But if you are who I think you are then your package rolled out yesterday.

Sorry for the delay.

Steve
I've sent an email to [email protected] this morning. If you haven't received it yet check your spam filter. If I'm that guy and it was sent yesterday, did you send an email saying you shipped?

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:When all the copies are received by everyone who ordered them, would it be gauche for me to ask if the wait was worth it? I, for one, am certainly impressed. And I remember the days when it took MONTHS and MONTHS to get the simplest of wargames in the mail. IIRC, Steve Jackson Games was the first publisher/dealer to deliver an order to me within 14 days.

No, I'm not excusing Steve. (Our Steve, not Steve Jackson. I guess it helps to be named Steve in this industry.) But I also know how a small shop can be crushed under its own success. Anyone ever hear of Donald Duncan Jr?
It's not a question if it was worth the wait or not. I know the quality will be there. The question is if it's worth it to finance the print run by supporting a kisckstarter project or even a regular pre-order. As it stand now I could walk into my local gaming store and buy it for retail price instead of paying 100$ back in november (we're in May) and being the last guy on the list it was shipped to. I would not be so pissed if each and every order I placed at the Trolls ended up with a problem or another.