Just out of curiosity....

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Inkpot

Just out of curiosity....

Post by Inkpot »

I'm curious as to how close you CK's stay to what's printed on the page in front of you when using a published module? So far, I've used roughly 35% of what's on the page and ad-libbed the hell out of the rest. How about the rest of y'all?

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

About 5% is written, mostly a name, or an encounter, or an item. My players can't stay to a module, so I just use it as a very loose "sourcebook" and wing the rest. I figure a module isn't supposed to be ran, in fact, but to serve as a "drop in" in every way imaginable.. hence its name.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

usually my modules turn out to be nothing more then a rough outline of the events that transpire as part of the adventure. Random encounters, side-quests and what not usually change up the module significantly.

If I were to give numbers, I'd say that i use about 20%-40% of what is printed in the modules. the extra detail, even the stuff that i don;t use in the mod is to solidify the adventure in my mind and help with ad-libbing.

.....................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Omote wrote:
the extra detail, even the stuff that i don;t use in the mod is to solidify the adventure in my mind and help with ad-libbing.

That's a very interesting viewpoint, Omote. I never really thought about it that way. Thanks for sharing!

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

You are welcome. What i do is usually devour a module cover-to-cover. i read it, i understand it, and then before play I usually modify it just a bit.

Because I understand so well what is supposed to happen in the module, that makes the side-quests and all the other trouble PCs get into that is outside of the module, easier to track back in. Still, because of PC whims, large sections of module go un-adventured. This is acceptable, and can always lead back to what was missed later on.

Understanding the module so well, also helps in developing ad-libbed adventures along the way.

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I generally use most of what's in a module, probably 70%, but of that I may end up changing/rearranging 40% to fit our game/campaign. But it does depend on the module.

For instance, in Seig's Shadows, I used about 90% of it as written. But when running Assault, I used about 40%, changed 20% and left out the rest, although I may use it in the future.

Currently, our group is in Dark Chateau and I've pretty gone with what's written.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

sieg

Post by sieg »

Depends. Most published modules I use about 30% of the NPCs/setting stuff. The "dungeon" (whatever) I tend to use about 60-70% and ad lib the rest.

The exception to this is if I'm running a "classic" module such as B2, Tegel Manor, etc. In such cases, I do my best to stick to the letter of the mod and only ad lib where the text is sparse (usually quite a bit in classic mods). This is because I feel that when my players want to play in a "classic" mod they want the actual experience as presented in the original text. Not so much "my" version!

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

The way I see it, mods tend to have "key spots" and "not-so-key" spots. Key spots usually get explored. Other areas depend on choices the party makes or how much of a rush the players are in to get to the grit of the adventure. For me, it's generally around 50% overall even when using my own material, increasing in percentage as the length of the gaming session increases or with the addition of extra game sessions dealing with the same adventure. But in order to have an extra gaming session, the players must be hooked on the mod from the first one or they ask, "What else could you run tonight"?

I normally modify, patch in material from other sources, or ad lib at least 10% regardless based on whatever happens along the way (including cool side plots devised by the CK), especially concerning the intros when the mod is written so as to be set in a specific campaign rather than being "transplantable".

Brian Miller

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It varies from module to module. Often it is because of the nature of the module. Take T. of Elemental Evil for example. When they are in the complex the module is going to go pretty much as written.

Now look at Assault of Blacktooth Ridge. It is more of an "outline" of what is going on around Botkinburg, so even though I used most of what was written it took a long time to do so because of all the ad-lib additions I had to throw in to deal with tangents.

then there ar the modules I just want to use parts fo anyways.

I also think I am a lot like Omote. When I plan out a campaign I like to plan it using at least six modules and know them as throughly as possible and base my additional ideas on the modules as much as possible.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I don't often use modules actually. I tend to make things up on the spot. Its easier to handle the rare bit of unexpected from a player. 8)

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

sieg wrote:
The exception to this is if I'm running a "classic" module such as B2, Tegel Manor, etc. In such cases, I do my best to stick to the letter of the mod and only ad lib where the text is sparse (usually quite a bit in classic mods). This is because I feel that when my players want to play in a "classic" mod they want the actual experience as presented in the original text. Not so much "my" version!

That is very interesting. You know, I think you are the first person I have ever heard say this. Every CK/DM/GM I know modifies every mod at least a little bit, regardless of what type of mod they are playing. I've run Keep on the Borderlands, maybe 8 times, and each time the people in the keep are a bit different with added in NPCs, or ad-lib'd adventures/side-quests, etc. The course of the module always stays the same, but I always throw somthing new in those dang caves.
Very interesting.

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

sieg

Post by sieg »

Ah, let me clarify a bit. If I'm "inserting" a classic module in a campaign (ie B2, Tegel, Giants series) then I don't feel so caught in "canonical" interpretation. My more literal style is left for one shot modules or other such limited runs.

For instance, I've run sections of Tegel Manor now for a couple of years as a "Halloween" special with Tournament-style characters and people seem to have had a hoot! In such specific parameters of play I try to stick much to the written word.

But as I noted above, much of what makes "classic" mods is that you're not given too many details and ad libbing a bit is almost mandatory. For gods sake, G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief is only 8 pages long!
So, while I'll add details and possibilities that weren't in the module text, I'm not going to turn the Hill Giants into Type II demons or anything.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I must be in the minority where I generally use 80 - 90% of a module as written. Now, most of my mods are 1e AD&D, so using 100% of them (as pointed out by Sieg) allows for a LOT of ad-libbing.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

the mods that I play, I try and stick very close to the printed word. the modifications that I make are basically the 'set-up' to get the party involved. after that, why ruin a good thing?

Cheers,

J.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

jman5000 wrote:
...the modifications that I make are basically the 'set-up' to get the party involved. after that, why ruin a good thing?

This doesn't specifically refer to your post jman, but is it just me or are most modules pretty lame on their own? It seems with me that most modules have a good premise, but on their own they are only so-so. When I integrate a mod into my campaign, that is when the module becomes better. But I admit that I'm in the camp that modifies module heavily.

Yeah, there are great mods that stand on their own, like Keep, but most mods to me need to be expanded and more "detailed" to be of use. I could be completely crazy here, but that's just how I feel.

.......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Robocoastie
Ungern

Post by Robocoastie »

My D&D 3.5 group sticks to the modules 100% simply because we're all family men (well one is the DM's daughter) who have lives and little time to mess around with making custom worlds and adventures etc... we're the kind of people modules are perfect for.

When I GM pbp games I use modules as well sticking to it about 80%. Maybe I want the players to get better loot than the modules describe and so on. The one I plan on running after "Into the Mite Lair" is a classic OD&D module called "Skardas Mirror", that one has a lot of reading text so rather than copy-paste it there I plan on voice recording those with some adventure music background and linking it to my site. That way its easier for the players and lurkers to keep up with those parts.

When I'm done converting SKardas Mirror to CnC I'll put a link here for people to d/load the conversion if they'd like. Of course all it will be (in accordance with WoTc regulations) is the stats and some treasure changes; the module would still have to be purchased from rpgnow.com or other sources.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sounds very cool. I would definitely like to be able to at least listen to your audio files. I think I own Skarda's Mirror, but I'll have to look. As often as I have to go look to see if I own something I should get off my butt and make a complete inventory list! Especially since the bulk of my stuff is out on the second floor of my garage.

Usually no big deal but I am disabled, and some days moving my body just isn't high on my priority list.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Depends on the mod for me. I tend to change them up or use them as outlines. For example I ran Dark Chateu and the group hated the second floor (as did I) and they made it to the attic where they were TPKed by a gas trap. After reviewing it I am going to make changes that fit our style and remove or redesign the things I hated ( The gas trap and floor 2 for starters ).

Now, I6 I am planning to run pretty much as is, Rising Knight will be refitted to either Greyhawk or my own setting of Itar depending on what pc's are being played.

I ran Beacon at Enon Tor pretty much as is except for running into an orcess and a bugbear bumping uglies in the bedroom.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Robocoastie
Ungern

Post by Robocoastie »

I feel your pain there treebore. At least most of my modules and stuff is in .pdf format. When I'm done with conversion and link to it I'll put the recordings in a zip for a short while too for d/load.

edit/add: something else I've started doing in pbp games when I use modules is if I have fewer players than the module calls for instead of bumping them up higher level than the module calls for I implement GURPS 4E's random hit location table and add bonus damage (1d6) for certain location hits. But I don't use it for the enemies, just the players. This gives the players a bit more of an edge, I also implement d20 moderns "Action Points" (3 total) they can use to re-roll any attribute check and I use Savage Worlds "Adventure Deck" cards and draw 1 per week for them (up to a maximum of 3 in possession at any one time) of course any cards that are too specific to SW I just redraw.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

On average I'd say I use about 50% of modules, sometimes I ues almost the entire thing as is, while other times it ends up being no more than a backdrop for the campaign.