Crusader 25?

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Piperdog
Unkbartig

Re: Crusader 25?

Post by Piperdog »

Thanks Lurker! Glad you like it. Yes indeed, the future will have class variants, including a dex based version. A sneak peek into the class: instead of saving vs dex to avoid a missle attack like the monk, the dex based pankratiast will be able to save vs a melee attack to avoid it (at a certain level). Also, cultural versions will exist, such as that practiced in Carteris in Onwaltig by the orcs. Brutal!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Piperdog wrote:Thanks Lurker! Glad you like it. Yes indeed, the future will have class variants, including a dex based version. A sneak peek into the class: instead of saving vs dex to avoid a missle attack like the monk, the dex based pankratiast will be able to save vs a melee attack to avoid it (at a certain level). Also, cultural versions will exist, such as that practiced in Carteris in Onwaltig by the orcs. Brutal!

Cooooooooolllllll! I can't wait!

I just got a mental picture from when I was in Thailand with some army guys, We went to do combatives with the Thai military and it was kind of a surreal session. a group of big corn feed Americans trained in some brutal hand to hand squaring of with quick little Thai guys who were kick experts ... Man I want to see that in my game!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Curiously, the PDF of Crusader 25 has nothing but pixelated blurs in place of one of the comic strips. (The top one.) Does the print version have this same problem?
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Indeed it does.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Ah - so it was done purposely AND it's not just my eyesight (or sanity). These are good things to know. I think.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

Piperdog wrote:Metal,
Glad you like the class. And yeah, it is complex at first, but hand to hand seems that way in C&C at first because of the overbearing and grappling rules. Once you start to use them a few times, then the Pankratiast abilities make more sense. C&C also has rules that cover tactical manuevers like dodge, and so on,which can give an AC boost. Because the class coveres all these little nuances, you really have to be intimate with the system to be comfortable with it. I plan on elaborating on "styles" in upcoming crusader issues, and possibly an adventure showcasing it. My own Airhde campaign uses the Pankratiast instead of the monk, because it fills the same niche, but fits the world's flavor better.
Got a couple of questions regarding the Pankratiast class:
Improved Grappling Armor Class: The pankratiast is an expert at defending against grappling and overbearing attacks as well, and uses a base armor class of 17 instead of the normal base of 15, and are allowed to use constitution bonuses in addition to the other modifiers listed in the grappling section of the PH (page 131).
pg. 131 of the PHB lists the Base Armor Class as being 12 for Strength non-prime and 18 for Strength prime. Do we just add a +2 bonus to the AC?
Enhanced Movement- The Pankratiast has trained extensively in athletics and moves faster than normal. (See the Pankratiast Special Abilities Chart for movement rates.) Carrying a medium or heavy load will negate enhanced movement, and reduce it to 30.
How does this work for a Dwarven Pankratiast with a Base Movement of 20'?
Additionally, the Pankratiast adds his Constitution bonus (if positive) to the special Pankratiast Armor Class as presented in the special abilities chart. This stacks with any dexterity bonuses. Unlike the improved armor class listed in the special abilities chart, this bonus is retained even while wearing armor.
Does this mean that a Pankratiast at level one, has an unarmoured Armor Class of 11 + Con Mod?
It can be combined with the Improved Grappling Armor Class rules; does that then give the Pankratiast a Grappling AC of 12/18 + Dex + Str + Con + 2?