ICharacter Sheet ~ Castles & Crusades (Available)

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Omote
Battle Stag

Re: ICharacter Sheet ~ Castles & Crusades

Post by Omote »

So, despite the i-nature of these character sheets, I need to print these characters. How does one go about doing that?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Omote wrote:So, despite the i-nature of these character sheets, I need to print these characters. How does one go about doing that?

~O
Indeed. This would be exceptionally cool on the Mac, where I could then just Print to PDF.

At any rate, you need to export (email) the HTML. Then you can open the HTML in a browser, tinker with the scaling, and print it. I've found on my printer 90-91% scaled pretty much prints it "per page" as expected. I'm sure other printers will vary.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Ugh. :roll: Thx Red.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

Ronin77 wrote:Any chance we could see something for the Kindle in the future?
Probably not. The nature of what it takes to make this app work is probably beyond the capabilities of a Kindle. Sorry.
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
http://www.digitaladventures.net
[email protected]
Twitter: @evilbeeker

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

Omote wrote:So, despite the i-nature of these character sheets, I need to print these characters. How does one go about doing that?
This has been reviewed previously on this thread, so scroll back please for the specific reasons.

Since there has been a bit of discussion on this, I'll put it back into the mix for the iPad and MAC, since they have native PDF support. However, this would not be an option at this time for Windows users, unfortunately.

Thanks!
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
[email protected]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Thank uou for the response EB. I LOVE these sheets, but I guess I am old school. If you guys could ever introduce a way to export to .pdf, or at the very least be able to print from Windows, that would be, amazing. Otherwise exporting the doc as HTML for my e-mail client is a hassle-and-a-half of heartache.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Evilbeeker wrote:Since there has been a bit of discussion on this, I'll put it back into the mix for the iPad and MAC, since they have native PDF support. However, this would not be an option at this time for Windows users, unfortunately.
\o/

Narl
Mist Elf

Post by Narl »

I just bought the Mac version. I'll pile on and say this really needs either an option to print right from the application or to create a PDF. If it would just have a print option, a Mac will give you the PDF option by default.

Opening the HTML file in Safari or Firefox looks okay, but when I go to print it from either it loses some of the formatting, color, and layout, resulting in a not-so-nice looking character sheet.

I also really don't like the bad clip art around the AC, HP, and MV. Can't you get Peter Bradley to doodle something a little more C&Cish?

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Narl wrote:I just bought the Mac version. I'll pile on and say this really needs either an option to print right from the application or to create a PDF. If it would just have a print option, a Mac will give you the PDF option by default.

Opening the HTML file in Safari or Firefox looks okay, but when I go to print it from either it loses some of the formatting, color, and layout, resulting in a not-so-nice looking character sheet.

I also really don't like the bad clip art around the AC, HP, and MV. Can't you get Peter Bradley to doodle something a little more C&Cish?
Also, quick side note...the character portrait doesn't "export" ... since it's HTML. The export has the broken image icon. Is there a work-around for this?

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

redwullf wrote:
Narl wrote:I just bought the Mac version. I'll pile on and say this really needs either an option to print right from the application or to create a PDF. If it would just have a print option, a Mac will give you the PDF option by default.

Also, quick side note...the character portrait doesn't "export" ... since it's HTML. The export has the broken image icon. Is there a work-around for this?
It does too ... When you export it, you should see two attachments: the HTML file and the image. Save them both in the same place before opening the HTML in your browser of choice.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Arakor wrote:It does too ... When you export it, you should see two attachments: the HTML file and the image. Save them both in the same place before opening the HTML in your browser of choice.
Well, don't I feel silly. I missed it because the character portrait posted "in-line" in the e-mail, so I didn't think of it. In other words, there was an HTML attachment and an in-line image. Saving the the HTML and not also dragging out the image is what caused my woes. Thanks for setting me straight!

mediapig
Ungern

Post by mediapig »

I bought the windows version, and I agree, it definitely needs some kind of print / pdf support. If native PDF support is the problem, maybe it could export to Open Office, which includes it's own pdf writer, or something similar?

It would be great if the various class abilities could be automatically filled in based on a character's level.

Also, currently, in the options section, there is an option for Fate points or Hero / Luck points, but it doesn't seem to be able to deselect both (they are both optional rules, so If I'm not using either, I'd rather not have them print on the sheet.)

Overall, this is a great little character sheet!

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

mediapig wrote:I bought the windows version, and I agree, it definitely needs some kind of print / pdf support. If native PDF support is the problem, maybe it could export to Open Office, which includes it's own pdf writer, or something similar?

It would be great if the various class abilities could be automatically filled in based on a character's level.

Overall, this is a great little character sheet!
We've been getting a bit of feedback on the printing ability, so we're definitely going to add that to the list of enhancements. As previously stated, the HTML output was the easiest compromise we had at product launch to get some sort of printable file/device working. Take heart that we have heard your pleas and will act accordingly! 8-)

As for "fill in data", we might look into some of this here and there; however, it is not in our plans to make our iCS brand a character generation program. For anyone that may have worked with CG programs (and I have), they are a TON of work. Currently, Digital Adventures is only a two-man operation, and supporting a CG application is not in our scope at the moment. We've added a bit of data automation here and there, but creating a digital product that integrates with a full-fledged database is a bit beyond us right now.
Also, currently, in the options section, there is an option for Fate points or Hero / Luck points, but it doesn't seem to be able to deselect both (they are both optional rules, so If I'm not using either, I'd rather not have them print on the sheet.)
I'll look into this, thanks!
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
[email protected]

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

I'm in the process of creating a HOW TO PRINT document, so I'll examine how Safari is treating our HTML export.

As for having Peter do some art for the project, I'll have to consult the head troll. :)

Thanks!
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
[email protected]

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

I've just added a document to our website to help users print an iCharacter Sheet:

http://digitaladventures.net/resources.html

Cheers!
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
[email protected]

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

Just as a thought, NovaPDF do a PDF printer driver for Windows that comes with an SDK license.
I've got at least two other pieces of software that have installed one and it works damn well.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Evilbeeker wrote:I've just added a document to our website to help users print an iCharacter Sheet:

http://digitaladventures.net/resources.html

Cheers!
Very helpful, thank you. :)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

[double post]
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Thank you for the printing reference guide.

I would also like to submit that the Castle Keeper's Guide has a section called "God-Like Attributess." This section details attribute scores of 1 and 20+. Many characters of higher level in this game will have attributes higher than 19. It would be a worthy enhancement to include attribute bonuses for scores of 1 and 20+.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Omote wrote:Thank you for the printing reference guide.

I would also like to submit that the Castle Keeper's Guide has a section called "God-Like Attributess." This section details attribute scores of 1 and 20+. Many characters of higher level in this game will have attributes higher than 19. It would be a worthy enhancement to include attribute bonuses for scores of 1 and 20+.

~O
With all due respect my dear Omote . . I say keep all CKG suggested rules or modifiers out of this program!!!

RAW only please.

However, if there is a way to allow incorporation or customization (and thus CKG adds) then yeah, I'm all for it!

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

StuartW
Skobbit

Post by StuartW »

The current iCharacter Sheet allows non-standard bonuses, so you can already manually over-ride the default bonuses for attributes below 2 and above 19 if you wish. The default bonuses are calculated automatically when you change the attrbute values (for example if you type 18 into the Strength attribute, it will calculate the appropriate bonus), but you can type over the default bonus if you want to use your own value. Just bear in mind that the character sheet will recalc the default bonus whenever you edit the attribute value.

Stuart

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

Rhuvein wrote:With all due respect my dear Omote . . I say keep all CKG suggested rules or modifiers out of this program!!!

RAW only please.

However, if there is a way to allow incorporation or customization (and thus CKG adds) then yeah, I'm all for it! :D
Hi Rhuvein,

Unfortunately, user customization is a bit difficult with these types of apps. We are looking into a few things, but we are limited. Like a "real" printed character sheet it's hard to reconfigure a section to serve a player's specific needs, since everyone plays differently. For this reason we included large spaces like the NOTES tab for assorted information that might otherwise not have a home. We are working on a few things, but please keep this in mind. I will note that if it were warranted we could "add" another tab for more information, which would be a lot easier than altering what we have now.

Thanks for the feedback!
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
[email protected]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Based on StuartW's reply, not much needs to be changed at all. In fact, there is so much space on this CS I don't think another tab needs to be added. The most important aspect of this CS is the printing option. I was talking to a few fellow C&Cers last night who said that the C&C icharacter sheet was of no value to them because of the print function alone. These guys apparently don't play online or have the need for a sheet on their tablet/iPad. Based on the community of C&Cers, I would think that this would be the majority of players (the need for a print function/export to .pdf to be of use). Looking specifically at the group I game with (there is 8-12 of us at any one time), I would say it's safe to assume that none of us need a competely digital character sheet.

Just food for thought.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

StuartW
Skobbit

Post by StuartW »

On printing: if you have a browser, you can print the character sheet. The export to HTML functionality gives a much better reproduction than we could achieve by writing our own print facility. It isn't just a case of redirecting the screen content to a PDF or printer, otherwise you'd just get screen shots. Laying out for print is a whole separate ball game, and one that is currently best delivered by creating HTML and then using the browser to do the hard layout work.

Just my (developer's) perspective.

Stuart

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Or doing an xslt transform to PDF with something like XSL-FO from your xml files, an option I've considered, but I don't want to track changes to the xml since that way lies madness, judging from the work I've seen people do with the 4e Character Builder datafiles.

That could be a standalone tool perhaps DA could provide, however; a separate printing app that did just that.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

Omote wrote:Based on StuartW's reply, not much needs to be changed at all. In fact, there is so much space on this CS I don't think another tab needs to be added. The most important aspect of this CS is the printing option. I was talking to a few fellow C&Cers last night who said that the C&C icharacter sheet was of no value to them because of the print function alone. These guys apparently don't play online or have the need for a sheet on their tablet/iPad. Based on the community of C&Cers, I would think that this would be the majority of players (the need for a print function/export to .pdf to be of use). Looking specifically at the group I game with (there is 8-12 of us at any one time), I would say it's safe to assume that none of us need a competely digital character sheet.
~O
Hi Omote.

As has been previously stated, and enforced by my partner Stuart, you very much can send your character sheet to the printer; stating that you cannot is not a true representation of our product, nor is saying it has absolutely no value. In essence, what you're saying is that your fellow C&C players prefer a one-click option for printing, not the 2-3 step method which is what we've presented in v1 of our iCS engine. I would like to think that your average (C&C) gamer was capable of clicking more than one button to print something, but there is a high-level reason for this in v1.

One quick comment before I forget:
These guys apparently don't play online or have the need for a sheet on their tablet/iPad.
Just to be clear for anyone just learning about our product, the iCharacter Sheet product is not a tool to play role-playing games online. Our iCS products are to either bring to your PC local gaming table as a replacement for a pen/paper character sheet, or to fill out and print to take to your weekly game.

When Stuart and I were dreaming up the idea of the iCharacter Sheet the iPad was about 2-3 months from being released here in the US. The two of us were trying to decide how best to integrate our idea of releasing an RPG application that did the exact same thing on three different OS platforms, was portable as well as desktop-based, and presented the gamer with a product he/she could use at the gaming table in electronic or paper form.

Considering this had never been done before in the RPG industry I think we did rather well, but one of the difficult hangups we had was how best to print the sheet. At the time the iOS (iPad) engine did not have the AirPrint functionality and the MAC App Store was only a future announcement, and Windows was -- well, being Windows. In the end we decided that the best compromise was HTML output as an email, which was something we could get to function correctly on all three platforms and looked great. Once the MAC App process and coding was revealed along with the announcement of AirPrint, we knew that a direct print option in the future would likely be possible and decided to keep what we had and release updates to the printing functionality down the road.

As previously stated on this thread several times, we are looking into the option of direct printing for a future release. Unfortunately this isn't something we can spit out in a week, as we are currently working through a group of v2 updates/upgrades/fixes slated first. For us programmers, sometimes doing things in a certain order allows us better control over the project, which translates to a better overall product.

I would also like to humbly say that Stuart and I have been very appreciative of all the feedback and support of the C&C community, and that without that I think our product would have been less desirable to use; however, to say that the "C&C icharacter sheet was of no value to them because of the print function alone" is a pretty unfair assessment of our tool. Not only are we committed to updates and upgrades down the road, as well as releasing this for other gaming systems and developing other digital tools based on the iCS technology developed.

In closing, this isn't my first lap around the castle in the RPG industry, and I'm fully aware that not everyone is going to be receptive to our products. I didn't live through four years at TSR and the near two decades since then without realizing that the gamer mindset is about about as unpredictable as a wet cat in what they do and do not like. Gamers are not going to hurt our feelings if they don't like our product, but at least remember to give us a chance and represent us properly to your cohorts. The bottom line is you're not going to get a perfect product (digital or otherwise) in v1, and to beat us up by saying we have no value is a bit harsh and unexpected. Part of the reason we did a C&C conversion before 3.5 or other gaming systems is because I love this gaming system and community, and Steve has always treated me right in the past when other RPG companies didn't give me the time of day.

Oh, and one more thing ... when you guys see what we have for our v2 update, you're going to be as giddy as a troll with a freshly dead paladin! If you're going to Gen Con, ask Jason (Breakdaddy) at the C&C booth about it. He might also have pictures to show. :D
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
[email protected]

Evilbeeker
Mist Elf

Post by Evilbeeker »

Aergraith wrote:Or doing an xslt transform to PDF with something like XSL-FO from your xml files, an option I've considered, but I don't want to track changes to the xml since that way lies madness, judging from the work I've seen people do with the 4e Character Builder datafiles.

That could be a standalone tool perhaps DA could provide, however; a separate printing app that did just that.
Hi Aergraith,

Umm ... how did you know we were looking at that? ;)
Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
[email protected]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Evilbeeker wrote:As has been previously stated, and enforced by my partner Stuart, you very much can send your character sheet to the printer; stating that you cannot is not a true representation of our product, nor is saying it has absolutely no value. In essence, what you're saying is that your fellow C&C players prefer a one-click option for printing, not the 2-3 step method which is what we've presented in v1 of our iCS engine. I would like to think that your average (C&C) gamer was capable of clicking more than one button to print something, but there is a high-level reason for this in v1.
First let me say, that I certainly am not intending to bash your product. In fact, I have purchased it twice for two computers.

The sole point of my previous post was to point out the need for a one-click printable function. I understand, and am fully aware that you gents are working on this upgrade. What I was trying to convey was that due to the nature of many of your customers, and what they are mostly buying this product for, the iCS requires an easy print solution.

As for saying that your tool has no value, I was simply pointing out that it had no value to some or all of the people that I personally game with, and 2 others that I have talked to. The no value comment was not intended to cover all gamers, just the 14 that I am personally aware of that had no interest in purchasing the iCS at this time.
VAE VICTUS!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

The latest version is very cool. I will try to bring a screen cap printout to Gen Con.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Out of curiosity, has the printing issue been dealt with yet? I did not buy the product once I found out that you couldn't hit a print key and print it out. Last I knew you had to email it to yourself or other some such thing and then print it out from there. I will definitely be purchasing this if it has been resolved.