CKG simply great

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
mostrojoe
Red Cap

CKG simply great

Post by mostrojoe »

I have bought the CKG as soon as it is arrived in the european store I serve myself from.

Better than I thought (and I had great expectations yet...).

I am asking what now in the TLG future?

Now that the "trilogy" (player, monsters and keeper) is finally over what will be necessary to keep the pace with the success of the game and with future demands?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Re: CKG simply great

Post by Sir Ironside »

Well, for one there is the greatly anticipated; Classic Monsters book coming out. It has been said that many monsters of the; Fiend Folio will be stated-up for C&C.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Don't forget Engineering Castles which will be out soon as well. Then there is the C&C version of Book of Familiars in the works (I believe the rumors were. ;) )
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

The "A" series of modules will continue on of course. There was talk of wrapping it up this year. In addition to Engineering Castles, we'll see Engineering Taverns, Engineering Torture Chambers, Engineering Market Places, Engineering Sewers...well, you get the point. The way E.D. sells at cons, they might as well go for some of these offerings.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There is a C&C version of Book of Lairs on the approach as well.

Also, I am under wraps of secrecy for a new project.

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

My dream is to see Mystara relaunched by the Trolls, but I think will remain a dream.

I really await the classical monsters book...

Anyway I still feel the Trolls are doing really well and they a strong potential to unleash if they plan their activities.

Paizo has proven too that a well planned game with full of passion behinf can beat the 4th edition of D&D that has proven to be something very far by an RPG.

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

I'd like to see a TLG version of the old Judge's Guild books - "Villages and Towns" and "Castles" -- I've got those and they're dead useful.
Of course, I also picked up the TLG "Towers of Adventure" and that's
similar in some ways and very, very helpful.

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

Oh, yeah...and the Trolls maybe could do their own version of
those Judge's Guild classics, "The Dark Tower" and its
infamous spin-off, "The Duck Tower". :lol:

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I think you'll get a lot of mileage from the CKG. After my initial read-through I had tons of ideas of what kind of adventure/campaign would fit which rules.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

CKG is the best RPG book I have bought in years, perhaps on par with some Shadowrun stuff I have bought too.

Am I biased? perhaps :)

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

mostrojoe wrote:CKG is the best RPG book I have bought in years, perhaps on par with some Shadowrun stuff I have bought too.

Am I biased? perhaps :)
+1. A huge bulk of the CKGs content even translates well into other fantasy RPG systems - much of it is universal enough in its concepts to fit into any DM's, GM's, CK's, Narrator's campaign.

Excellent work, Troll Lords!
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

mediapig
Ungern

Post by mediapig »

I would love to see a book (could be a small one, like Black Libram) that specifically tweaks Castles & Crusades for a more "Sword & Sorcery" feel. As far as big hardbacks go, Can't go wrong with monster books...

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Just picked up the CKG at Origins and I am very pleased. As a guy that hasn't had a chance to play much (and have only run it a few times), I found the SIEGE Engine section (Chapter 13, I think) very helpful. For example, I discovered I wasn't allowing PCs to add their levels into SIEGE checks nearly enough.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Frost wrote:Just picked up the CKG at Origins and I am very pleased. As a guy that hasn't had a chance to play much (and have only run it a few times), I found the SIEGE Engine section (Chapter 13, I think) very helpful. For example, I discovered I wasn't allowing PCs to add their levels into SIEGE checks nearly enough.
I bet that made for some big challenges for them, eh? ;)

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Fortunately, I can't think of very many occasions when it would have mattered too much. I was having everyone add class levels for class-based checks and saving throws, but wasn't for, say, things like a general wisdom check.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I have mixed feelings about the CKG.

1. I love it. It's full of cool stuff that I can add into my campaign.

2. I don't need it. I played C&C for years without the CKG, and all it does is add more complexity to an awesome C&C game system.

Basically, I bought it as soon as possible but then haven't really used it. I have read through the book and think it's great, but I'm hesitant to change my C&C game since it was working so well for me without the CKG.

Clearly I'm one messed up dude. :-)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

I'm feeling exactly the same way abiut it Finarvyn.

So far I just use it for an away from table reference- I have thrown a few peices of the new equipment in or used it as a price guide for things to put in game.

Next campaign I will add in Advantages; 1 at first level, another at 7th. Since I don't add in a skill system I figure this is low impact way to add a little bit of crunchy choice with minimal fuss.

Apart from that I just don't wanna mess with a game I like for it's ready to rumble simplicity.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

In some ways, the Advantages remind me of the Swanson Tables printed in the early annals of Dragon magazine. They allowed the character to have a little something extra at the time of creation, for good or ill. Used to have them, but they fell victim to one of my many moves. The one about the really bad body odor cracked me up.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yay, people are actually using the new equipment.

*goes to tinker on more.*

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

I am using the less lethal crit/fumble tables, the land as rewards, the levels beyond 13, and the equipment wastage sections. The rest of the book is great to read and may be used in the future.
The section on powers of a cleric on holy ground is fabulous also.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

I really like the weather rules and the effects on the equipment.

I would widen the spellbook rules.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

C&C is simply great, because this is what happens when you have too many rules.

If you could convey the Paizo Rules message board in a single image, it would look something like this:

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

If you really think the CKG is good we really need to get word out more. Over on amazon It has very few, and not very good reviews. I just did one for it. Really could use a few more over there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/192947 ... s_prod_img
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

redwullf wrote:C&C is simply great, because this is what happens when you have too many rules.

If you could convey the Paizo Rules message board in a single image, it would look something like this:

LMAO!

<minor threadjack>

I do have to say that one of the things that I have immensely enjoyed during my time playing C&C and especially posting on the TLG forum... not once has anyone ever had the temerity to tell me I wasn't playing the game "correctly". Or that I shouldn't play a class or race because I didn't know how to properly maximize its effectiveness. Or that I was asking too much of my players by expecting them to actually role-play their bluff (or at least give an idea what sort of story/misdirection they were doing) rather than just going, "I try to bluff him. I rolled a 16."

</minor threadjack>
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Post by REHowardfanatic »

Ok, the expressive image is awesome. :lol:

Answering a question posed long ago in the early times of this thread, I'd like to see a couple of books by the Troll Lords.
First, I guess I can dream that now that Mongoose has lost the rights to a Conan RPG, TL could get it and show everyone how it ought to be done. Mongoose's was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but the lean, muscular rules set of C&C captures sword and sorcery so much more effectively than 3.x.

Second, I'd like to see Oriental Adventures, updated for the modern day. It could cover anime-inspired classes, Chinese kung-fu rules, and kaiju monsters. More than just Japanese, as well. It should also have Chinese and Arabian adventures in it. Maybe it could be the Eastern Adventures sourcebook.

Finally, because I am such a huge fan of sword and sorcery and because D&D has consistantly missed one of the most iconic character types in all of fantasy literature for going on 40 years now, I'd like to see a Maritime Adventures sourcebook. It could present new classes like the Mariner and Pirate, hordes of new sea monsters, details on coastal life and the progress of naval technology, an "island adventure" generator- that sort of thing. The lack of a nautical class is the only weak point in the system I found in my epic creation of Howard's greatest characters. Belit is a pirate, not a rogue!

Oh, and more monster books. I always like monster books.

Oh, and just to prove that presentation is the real factor in gaming these days, I'd love to see an mammoth, full color hardcover collector's book compiling the PHB, CKG, and M&T. Show everyone out there that C&C is the better choice. I bet they'd agree if it was as shiny...
Flaming is the alignment language of the internet.

If you like DC Heroes, come check out my blog:
http://mayfairexponentialrpg.blogspot.com/

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

REHowardfanatic wrote:Ok, the expressive image is awesome. :lol:

Answering a question posed long ago in the early times of this thread, I'd like to see a couple of books by the Troll Lords.
One of the great things about C&C is that the fan community is so creative. It's one of the game's strengths that the rules are so elastic. Searching these boards will reveal a lot of excellent expansion material from various posters.
REHowardfanatic wrote:First, I guess I can dream that now that Mongoose has lost the rights to a Conan RPG, TL could get it and show everyone how it ought to be done. Mongoose's was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but the lean, muscular rules set of C&C captures sword and sorcery so much more effectively than 3.x.
If you don't mind some unofficial work, I've created a "Bare Warrior" class that allows effective play of lightly clothed, sword & sorcery type characters. And yes, I know that Conan himself generally wore armor in Howard's stories!

Check out my "Races & Classes of Lore" for the Bare Warrior.
REHowardfanatic wrote:Finally, because I am such a huge fan of sword and sorcery and because D&D has consistantly missed one of the most iconic character types in all of fantasy literature for going on 40 years now, I'd like to see a Maritime Adventures sourcebook. It could present new classes like the Mariner and Pirate, hordes of new sea monsters, details on coastal life and the progress of naval technology, an "island adventure" generator- that sort of thing. The lack of a nautical class is the only weak point in the system I found in my epic creation of Howard's greatest characters. Belit is a pirate, not a rogue!
Although aimed at the Gothic genre, my Bandit class includes Pirates, and would work quite well for Sword & Sorcery.
REHowardfanatic wrote:Oh, and more monster books. I always like monster books.
Here are three I've created:
"A Book of Wondrous Beasts" - Authentic medieval bestiary creatures
"Book of the Restless Dead" - 12 undead from folklore and art
"Spirits of Heaven and Hell" - 16 Angels and Devils from legend

There's also the Creature Feature which compiles a lot of great fan creations for the game.

Also, don't miss the many monsters posted on these boards by Serleran, Kaiser Kris, Go0gleplex, and others.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

I've already got all of your pdfs, clavis. Great stuff, too.
Conan works perfectly as is with Barbarian/(1/2)Thief. And yes, he wears chainmail- Robert E. Howard- accept no subtsitute kids. lol
Where can I find Creature Feature?
I have seen the demons and devils write ups here and they are great. I'd love to get a pdf of them.
I've also seen the Freeport Companion for C&C and it's terrific too. Anyone know where to get it in print?
I think the reason that the C&C inspires so much great fan material is that it is possible to house rule it. Too many rules simply make that option impossible. That's he big problem mechanically with 3.x and 4. It's just not worth all of the work to house rule.

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

Ohh...here's an idea:

Some ZERO-level modules (like AD&D's "N4 Treasure Hunt").

Where characters are just generic people and become 1st level classes by how they react/act to the adventure situations.

These are great for introducing newbies into RPGs as well as teaching the mechanics of whatever system to them (or old-timers new to that system).

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Just won my CKG on ebay for $11! 8-)

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

REHowardfanatic wrote:Ok, the expressive image is awesome. :lol:

First, I guess I can dream that now that Mongoose has lost the rights to a Conan RPG, TL could get it and show everyone how it ought to be done. Mongoose's was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but the lean, muscular rules set of C&C captures sword and sorcery so much more effectively than 3.x.
There is this: Conan C&C Draft
http://www.bellplace.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ConanC&C.pdf