Monday Wilderlands/alternative game

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
nwelte1
Lore Drake

Re: Tuesday Wilderlands game!

Post by nwelte1 »

I just got home form the CLE and will be unable to game. I have to unpack and prepare for an early hearing. Sorry.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

No game tonight. Hope the puppies are feeling better, Tree.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, sorry guys, they decided she was good enough to come home when we visited her, and then took a long time to discharge her, so I got home just over an hour late.

Hopefully next week will work.

In the mean time I have my puppy home and the remaining 3 look to be doing well.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

No problemo. Glad to hear that the puppies are well! :P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Tree, I may be late or miss all together. It's production week for the Mrs. play. I have to have the set finished by Wednesday night. I don't know how long I'll be at the school, so if I show up, I show up. If not, someone can run Daithan.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Good fight! Only 3 Sword Wraiths left, one of whom is the Captain. I think he may go elsewhere for a recruiting drive. anyways, surprised I made it through the full session. Glad I did. Now I think it is time for me to go back to bed.

Next week, are the Sword Wraiths defeated for all intents and purposes?

What is it about that one tower still looking like it was recently built after all these centuries?

Do the Sword Wraiths have loot? Gaius remembers seeing a chest in the Captains chambers, does the party dare to go back and temp the Captains wrath?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Heck yeah, we're going back for the phat loot! I didn't lose 5 points of Str to get screwed out of stuff. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

64bitrobot
Hlobane Orc

Post by 64bitrobot »

As long as we do it within 10 minutes so I still have the +8 bonus to strength.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

64bitrobot wrote:As long as we do it within 10 minutes so I still have the +8 bonus to strength.
It won't matter, you will throw 3 1's in a row and by that time the Captain will have your soul.

64bitrobot
Hlobane Orc

Post by 64bitrobot »

Treebore wrote:
64bitrobot wrote:As long as we do it within 10 minutes so I still have the +8 bonus to strength.
It won't matter, you will throw 3 1's in a row and by that time the Captain will have your soul.
Probably

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

:arrow: Phat loot! :mrgreen:

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK, tonight you head back to the rooms where the nasty battle with the Sword Wraiths began. Your alert, because you know several are still "alive", most notably the Captain. You start with the Captains room. You see a Chest stuck against a wall under a table, so not easy to spot, because the table itself is very big, so you have to bend over to even see it. Gaius, who spotted the chest with ease earlier, walks under the table, with inches in head clearance to spare, to pull the chest out from under it.

What do you do?

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:OK, tonight you head back to the rooms where the nasty battle with the Sword Wraiths began. Your alert, because you know several are still "alive", most notably the Captain. You start with the Captains room. You see a Chest stuck against a wall under a table, so not easy to spot, because the table itself is very big, so you have to bend over to even see it. Gaius, who spotted the chest with ease earlier, walks under the table, with inches in head clearance to spare, to pull the chest out from under it.

What do you do?
first we wait for the click...BOOM! as the monk checks for traps

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lots of loot gathered!

Next week the Drider!

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Aramis wrote:
first we wait for the click...BOOM! as the monk checks for
There was no click but there was a boom.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:Lots of loot gathered!

Next week the Drider!
Sweet beautiful loot . . if only we can live to enjoy it!!

~ "Driders on this storm . . . into this house were born . . "

Extra prayers to THOR! :?

:)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Tonight we find out why Driders are among the top 20 most feared monsters of all time!

64bitrobot
Hlobane Orc

Post by 64bitrobot »

I've a feeling it's because +something stupid to hit, 2d4+9 damage at an attack rate of 5/2 might not be enough.

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

I was requested to attend a special meeting for a City I represent. I will not make it back in time for game time. Since I am one point from death, stablize me (if you can). Otherwise, I will re-roll.

Enjoy the game.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote: Tonight we find out why Driders are among the top 20 most feared monsters of all time!
64bitrobot wrote:I've a feeling it's because +something stupid to hit, 2d4+9 damage at an attack rate of 5/2 might not be enough.
Naw, it's because driders are cool. Drow+spider= :twisted:

The plan I propose is as folllows: we wait until the drider is occupied eating the dwarf (or whatever foul thing driders do), then the rest of us run like heck

All those in favour?

*cricket sound from Minnesota*

Motion carried! :lol:

(actually, there would be no cricket sound from Minnesota, as they are still buried under 3 feet of snow. I believe their state motto is Minnesota: 10 months of winter and 2 months of hard sledding!)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Please upgrade to Maptools version .85

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great session last night.

Whew . .

Sir Gavriel almost 64bit the dust!

Our party is now fully loaded (magicks) for bear.

We are unstoppable now!!!

:P

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rhuvein wrote:Great session last night.

Whew . .

Way to go, just beg Tree to kill us.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Great session last night.

Whew . .

Way to go, just beg Tree to kill us.

R-
Oh, the upcoming modules offer me plenty of opportunities to kill you all. Part of the reason I ran White Tower was to get a sense of your chances of survival.

64bitrobot
Hlobane Orc

Post by 64bitrobot »

Well, I've certainly discovered how almost deadly it can be. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do, though I'd prefer the legend of Sir Gavriel Markham to continue.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I think you guys need to remember something, as a CK it is EASY to kill your PC's. What is hard is putting together fun encounters where you have a reasonable chance of survival, but death as well. If your not worried about dying you aren't getting excited. IF your not getting excited your going to get bored and not have fun.

So for a fun game I have to make you worry about dying.

The hard part is making you worry about it, without it actually happening.

Last session was about perfect, because if I didn't have you worrying about your own PC dying, I at least had you worrying about someone else's PC dying. Which is why when it was over you were all breathing a sigh of relief and thinking, "Damn! We all lived!", or some variant there of.

Gavriel was damn lucky, and fortunate you guys helped keep him alive. I was really wanting to kill him.

But I hope he got the message, you may be bad ass, and that is a good thing, but as CK I can kill you any time I want. So don't think that just because its going easy for you that it means your invincible. It just means I am taking it easy on you. If I wanted Gavriel dead, Gavriel would be dead, even last session.

Just I do a good job at being a fair CK, so your PC lives are threatened, and can be lost. Just due to luck, good game play, good team work, etc... you win and won the day. Which in my opinion, is what makes for great gaming.

I assume you all agree to some degree, since you all return each week to let me abuse you all some more.

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Tree:

I have a township meeting I need to attend tomorrow night. I should make it back for the last 1/2 of the game.

Nate

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Since there has been so many rules questions lately, I am reposting specific rules I have changed, or created because C&C does not offer any definitive guidance. For class specific changes see my house rules on the first page of this thread, 4th or 5th post down.

Specific Rules changes:

Spellcasting: Unless I declare otherwise, you must declare what spell you are casting when initiative is rolled. If you are hit before you get to cast you can make a Concentration check (CL=damage rolled) to not lose your spell and still cast the spell. Parameters of the spell (target, location, etc...) are established when the spell is cast.

You can full move and still cast a spell in the same round.

Crits and Fumbles:

Criticals: A natural, unmodified roll of 20 on the 20 sided dice is considered a "critical hit". If it is with a non-missile weapon this means you get a free extra attack roll. If it is a missile type weapon it means you multiply your damage by 2.
When rolled on a save versus spell it means no damage is taken if it is a damage type spell. It means you saved versus any spell if the TN was to high for you even to succeed otherwise.

Fumbles: Are when a natural unmodified roll of a "1" is rolled. These cannot be rerolled with luck points. Results of such a roll are usually bad. Such as a save versus a spell is failed. If so you automatically take double damage. Look at it as the Spell caster rolled a crit on you.

For weapon attacks, it means you lose your attack for that round at the very least. I'll have you roll a DEX save and depending on your roll I'll determine some kind of detrimental result, or nothing more at all.

If your weapon is a feathered edge weapon you may cut off one of your limbs.

Movement: I allow 30 foot moves (or whatever your normal move is) in combination with attacks. Not 15 foot. So a charge covers 60 feet, but still allows +2 to hit and -2 to AC.

SPOT Checks:

Only Rangers, Thieves and Assassins can add their level to a Spot check, everyone else can treat it as 12 or 18, but do not add level.

SPELL CHANGES/CLARIFICATIONS:

Dismissal and Repulsion are on the Wizard spell list at the same level.

All items are the minimal caster level required to cast the most powerful spell on the item. Still a minimum of 9th level if a wizard item, or 12th level minimum for Clerical items. The rule of needing 3 levels for every + bonus of weapons, armor, etc... still stands. So +5 items will require 15th level.

Only potions change the casting time of a spell, all other items follow all spell parameters as if being cast normally. With the exception of spell components/somantics. Verbal commands are required for all staves, wands, and rods.

Custom designed items can change these things, but it will cost considerably more. At least 30% more.

Item Usage: Scrolls, Wands, Staves, and Rods are only usable by spellcasters. A spellcaster is anyone able to cast spells, which includes Paladins, since they can cast Cure Disease, and later on the 12th level powers. However, Divine is restricted to Divine, and Arcane is limited to Arcane. So a Wizard cannot use one of these devices divine powers, however if the item has both Arcane and Divine spells on it they can still use the Arcane powers. An item can be made to allow access to both, but that would be a customized item.

Armor stacking. Fighter type stuff stacks, so shields and Armor. Mage stuff type stacks, so bracers, Staff of the Magi, rings, and cloaks stack. Fighter stuff never stacks with mage stuff. Now stuff that gives some kind of other bonus, such as Luck, Natural Armor, or Divine in the same manner as Prayer or Protection from Evil, does stack with all the others.

Bonus of similar items do not stack. So rings or cloaks do not stack with themselves. IE a Ring +2 does not stack with a ring +3, only the +3 counts.

EXPERT/MASTERWORK ITEMS:

Each bonus (to hit or damage, they are counted separately) costs 250 GP. Same goes for making bows STR adjusted. Weapons and armor are limited to only a +1. So a sword with +1 to hit and damage will cost an additional 500 GP, and add two weeks to construction times when solicited in game. Bows are limited to +3 STR adjustments, and to have +3 to Dam would cost 750 additional gold above base. However bows can still be "expert", so you can pay 500 go to get an "expert" +1 to hit and damage. You can then add STR modifiers to damage only for 250 gp per bonus point. To reiterate, each +1 adds a week to construction times. So a +3 bow would take 6 additional weeks to make.

POLYMORPH HOUSE RULES:

To mostly clarify polymorph effects, but some rule specifics are in here.

You can only polymorph into creatures twice own size and weight. Which means Creatures descriptions which put them as being taller OR heavier cannot be polymorphed into.

Example: So if you are 6 foot tall you can Poly into a Ogre or Troll, but not giants or horses. They exceed the height and/or weight limit.

When Polymorphed (self, or other, by the caster) the caster can manipulate the STR of the form, even a "buffed up" version of yourself.

CL=2xSTR increase

Example: Your STR is 13 and you want the new form to be an 18.
CL-2x5=10
Failure: STR stays 13
Crit Fail: STR drops by 5 to an 8
Crit Success: +2 to STR score, so an 18 becomes 20.

Items Worn:

Small things like rings, earrings, bracers, shoes/small boots, necklaces, etc... "meld into" the new form. Unless the new form is still "humanoid", even if size is changed, so are the items changed. IE your clothes. Armor, etc... change size with you, as long as you remain “humanoid” (human shaped). If they meld they become inactive if they are magical. If they do not meld because you assume a humanoid form, then they still work. Plus they can still be recognized.

Larger things, like pants, knee high boots, armor, helmets, shirts, large necklaces, etc... fall off. This is because your body will ooze right out of them, since they cannot be absorbed.

So stuff dropped like this will have to be picked up by the caster in their new from, or some ally will have to pick them up, etc....

TELEPORTING:

I personally think that Teleporting from anywhere you wish, to anywhere you wish is more powerful then teleporting from locations you have to prepare with a circle/pillars/etc...

So I am changing up the order in which you receive the spells, and altering them a little bit. At 5th level you get Teleport Circle, its duration is “instantaneous”, not 1 turn per level. Its CT is a full round, meaning it always goes off on a initiative of “1”. Which means you, and whomever is going with you, needs to be within the circle when you finish casting.

Teleport is now a 7th level spell, but is otherwise the same.

There is still an 8th level Teleport Circle, and it is as written other than still taking a full round to cast. IE it goes off at “1” on the round in which it is cast.

Teleport W/O Error is now a 9th level spell.

Teleport Circle spells teleport 250 pounds per caster level of creatures and equipment.

No circle means they teleport 1 person/creature/2 caster levels and all those creatures are wearing and holding, or 100 pounds of equipment/objects. Combinations are not possible.

There is a 9th level Teleport Circle that has a casting time of 8 hours and a permanent duration when cast and has a material component cost of 10,000 GP. The area of effect is determined by the size of the component(s) used to create the spell. The weight limit per caster level can be multiplied ([250]x2, x4, etc...) by adding 1000 GP in components per multiple (x2=2000 GP, x4=4000 GP, and so on.)

So to have it teleport 1000 pounds per level that is a x4 multiplier so the material component cost is 14,000 GP.

The material can be whatever the caster wants (standing stones, a circle of solid silver 30 foot in
diameter, a doorway, archway, pool of mercury, etc...)

GRAPPLING:

To establish a Grapple, as per the 4th printing players book.

When grappled a target can make either a STR or DEX save, whichever is better, to break free of the grapple. While Grappled they can either struggle to break or slip free, or they can draw a dagger, wand, or use some kind of magic item that needs only a command word to be spoken.

To be made prone/helpless the attacker must make an additional STR check to throw and pin you to the ground, size/STR modifiers apply, as well as any other modifiers that seem sensible. Plus they must be of similar size or bigger, or only be able to pin arms, negating any attack ability of the target, except for a Monks feet.

A dagger can be used to attack, but at a -2 to all attacks, and only to attack the creature grappling the wielder. Wands can be similarly used, and they do not have to attack their grappler, but can attack other targets within their line of sight.

Two Handed Fighting:

If you want to be a two weapon Fighter take DEX as Prime. This cuts the penalties in half to -2 for primary hand and -3 for the off hand. Dex bonus' offset these penalties, so an 18 DEX would change these to +1/0. If DEX isn't prime then the penalties remain 3/6, but the DEX bonus still offsets these before a roll is made. So if you have a +2 DEX bonus the penalties are -1 and -4, then you roll your attacks as normal. Typically BtH + STR bonus' + magic.

ENERGY DRAINS:

When hit by a creature that energy drains you get a save. The save is CON based, CL is equal to HD of the creature. If you fail the save then you lose a level and HP loss is equal to your HD average plus your CON bonus, if any So if you are a fighter you lose 5+CON bonus in hit points.

Still, all is not lost. It takes creatures about 24 hours to fully digest your life energy in my games. So if you kill the creature, or creatures, who stole your life force within 24 hours of them doing so your life force will be released and will find its way back to your body. You must be within 10 feet of the creature when it is destroyed for this to happen automatically. For every 10 feet beyond 10 feet there is a cumulative -2 penalty to your CHA (or CON, whichever the CK decides is most appropriate and beneficial to the player) save for your life force to find and return to you.

So if you are 30 feet away when the creature is destroyed you must make a save at -4 to get your life force back. 10 feet or less no save is required

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Here is us:

Or, it could have been us in another round or two anyway .

Should be a classic adventure.

By the way, Arkouna makes a big sign at the campsite out of rocks and branches that reads:

Green Mage-Don't Sell That Ring! I am getting the $ together to buy it most promptly!

:lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Awesome! I am sure he will see it. You may have enough from the loot. Technically it was earned by only you and Malcolm, depending on how you guys want to handle it.