Classic Monsters: The Manual

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
serleran
Mogrl

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by serleran »

I have my own versions of these, but it will be fun to compare and modify, or just use both at once. Really throw a loop around the waist of a "veteran."

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

This just in: The Tarrasque is pretty awesome.

As you were.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

This book needs to be released, immediately. Can't.... control.... urges....

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Omote wrote: Can't.... control.... urges....

~O
That can get you arrested. :lol:
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

I would love to see a huge tome of monsters, a lot of the classics from TSR many monster compendiums. I have always loved the Hound of Ill Omen and the werespider.

But honestly, it needs to be big (like 400+ pages) and be hard back.

For the sole reason that I can drop in on the table in front of my players and say;

"This is my boomstick!"

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I noticed Steve doesn't have a "Badger" in the M&T. Even though its a relatively mundane creature, I think I'm going to put it in. Why?

See below: (This video contains a lot of NSFW language. You have been warned.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg&hd=1

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

WTF?
Honey Badger FTW.
I thought the clip was going to be, "We don't need no stinking badgers!" from UHF, but NO, that was funny.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

OMG love that narrator! "Oooh that's so naasty!!"

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

"ewwww, it eats snakes!"

Great video.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

New Druid spell: Badger Summoning I
http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
Bill D.

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

I took my old Monstrous Compendium, scanned them and with the help of Photoshop converted them to C&C. The blank monster page was very useful for making a word template to make my own monsters with.
Visit my

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Personally I would love it if there were something very close to an Illithid (without infringing anyones copyright of course ;) )

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

zarathustra wrote:Personally I would love it if there were something very close to an Illithid (without infringing anyones copyright of course ;) )
+1

Anyone remember the xvarts in BG1? Think I'd buy the monster book just to have that critter in c&c form :lol:

L.S.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

LordSeurek wrote:
zarathustra wrote:Personally I would love it if there were something very close to an Illithid (without infringing anyones copyright of course ;) )
Anyone remember the xvarts in BG1? Think I'd buy the monster book just to have that critter in c&c form :lol:

L.S.
One is, one isn't.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

AGNKim wrote:
One is, one isn't.
Now you are just being cruel being that cryptic.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

zarathustra wrote:
AGNKim wrote:
One is, one isn't.
Now you are just being cruel being that cryptic.
They wont touch the flayer.....

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I'm still pulling for dire flumpf.

But seriously, the Prismal Eye was a really cool work around for the beholder. I actually like it in and of itself, so if they did that sort of treatment it would be fine by me,
Still, the MF is easy enough to convert.

I know, converting is easy but there's something about getting it from an official book. I know.
Bill D.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Another reason I love the idea of this book and have been so adamant on Kim Hartsfield forcing TLG to release this book sooner rather than later is that I am SO not into luggiung around Monster Manual II and the Friend Folio to every game where I'm going to need some monsters that don't fall into the standard Monsters & Treasure basic creature choices but need these baddies more in line with good old fashioned classic monster goodness and is strikingly different from Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde which is still awesome in it's own right but doesn't fall well into what player characters might run into, say in the Keep on the Borderlands.

[gasps]
~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I recently ran the Gauntlet and Sentinel modules, so I have already converted the Xvart to C&C. They are pretty much a blue skinned Kobold.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

This is not directly in response to your post Treeb, but I will reply just the same.

Am I the only one who doesn't like to do even "easy" conversions? I hate doing conversions period, particularly the difficult ones. But even when it comes to easy old-school D&D conversions to C&C, I hate doing it. I'm proficient in doing so, and have done so for years now... still hate it. I'd much rather have official C&C monsters for this. That is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this product so much.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The only conversions I hate doing are from 4E and 3E to C&C. 2E and earlier are so easy to do I don't even think of them as conversions anymore.

Then again, I like converting from 3E and 4E because with all the options they have my conversions are far less "cookie cutter".

So even though I do not like converting from 3E or 4E, there are times I am glad I am.

That is part of why I am buying the S&W Complete version of the Tome of Horrors. When I don't want such a cookie cutter conversion I'll look at my 3E versions, when I am fine with the simple cookie cutter approach, I'll use the S&W C version.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Of course I'll buy this, but I have to admit I don't really understand it.

If it's for easy reference to monsters that couldn't be included due to copyright, how will we look them up without the names? For example, if I am playing an old module that needs a Githyanki, will there be something like it but called a Souvlaki or something?

The blurb on the Anvil implies we'll be getting the same monsters as MM II and Fiend Folio, but I am not sure how that is accomplished if they aren't OGL?

Or is it really some new monsters mixed in with some not-quite-clones with different names, stats, and descriptions?

On the topic of old monsters I'd like to see, the BECMI D&D "Creature Catalog" had some nice ones; chameleon men are pretty awesome.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Very few monsters are "owned" by TSR/WOTC, less than a dozen, at least from the older sources. Illithids, Beholders, probably Githyanki and Githzeri, and a few others.

They don't own Death Knights, for example.

All they "own" is how they were presented. The artwork, the formatting, the wording used. So pretty much everyone can offer a variant. Look at the Beholder variant in the M&T for an example. One Which I think is far nastier than the original Beholder. (Prysmal Eye).

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

This book needs Firbolgs innit. That is all. 8-)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

gideon_thorne wrote:This book needs Firbolgs innit. That is all. 8-)

Ooooh! Yeah, Firbolgs are a lot of fun!

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

I'm pretty sure the Firbolg couldn't be legally added as you know them in D&D. The name could be used as it a mythological name of some Irish rulers, but I don't think they were a giant-kin race.

I know a lot of people assume that the list in the SRD of product identity monsters is all they own, but I believe that small list only refers to what they own in the 3e Monster Manual 1. I could be wrong tho. If I am, than I have a lot more races to do.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

If its a creature or people from mythology or history, it can be used.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

In the Firbolg's case tho, the D&D version is not presented as it was in mythology. Which would make it a new work. Now you could make a Firbolg that is 2 feet tall, and hurls pebbles, that wouldn't violate :P Or make the Firbolg just like D&D and name it something else.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I am mostly interested in re-envisions of classics, not direct conversions. Little things that make them different.

Also, completely new monsters. Love those.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Or I can make a giant sized (larger than human) humanoid, which are sometimes ascribed mystical powers, and call it a Firbolg, since that's what they are described as in mythology, and no one can say a thing about it. :)