Classic Monsters: The Manual

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
User avatar
Piperdog
Unkbartig
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Martin, MI

Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Piperdog »

So, I am really looking forward to another monster book. This promises to bring a lot of old school classics to the forefront, and I am all for that. My question, though, is why the choice of title? It's okay, but why not add some more treasure stuff to the book and simply have a Monsters and Treasure II? Is it to avoid looking like the redundant madness that is pumped out by Wotc? I don't think that is humanly possible to duplicate their vast number of book clones, so that can't be an honest concern. I just think that it would just lend some consistency to the books. Either way, I eagerly look forward to this release.

User avatar
Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Andred of Albans »

Keep it Old School - if it's not in the original TSR Monster Manual, Monster Manual II (and if you insist, Fiend Folio) you don't need it.

Even that is overkill, in my not so humble opinion. Personally, I believe in DMing on a budget. How many humanoids do you need? Orc means goblin. Hobgoblin is old English for "little goblin". Hobbit means "little one". A Kobold is a goblin that lives in abandoned mines. How many dragons? There are Wyrms (wingless dragons), Drakes (winged western dragons) and Asian dragons. That's it... there ain't no more!

Okay, your campaign may vary, but I like to keep things tightly medievalist - it saves wear and tear on me as a DM and I don't have to worry about keeping 500 monsters straight, the focus is on the story and the role the player characters take in it.
Visit my

User avatar
Piperdog
Unkbartig
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Martin, MI

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Piperdog »

I like the minimalist approach as well, but I have a horrible addiction to monster books...and look forward to this one. My only question was why the choice of title. No biggie.

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Treebore »

You sure that is the final title choice?

I can see why they would title it like that, because it makes it clear that it is a book focused on bringing more of the "classic" monsters to C&C, so may attract more interest.

When it comes to me, I'll just be buying this book to simply support TLG. Its too damn easy for me to convert from the original books for me to "need" this book. Now once I buy it I have no doubt I will use it because even the little work needed to convert them will already be done for me. I certainly do not need to buy this though.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
zarathustra
Red Cap
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 7:00 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by zarathustra »

I would be interested, I find the C&C take on monsters sometimes has just one or two mechanical quirks to suit C&C that I may not have thought of. I'd check it out if the pdf was reasonably priced *ducks for cover*

User avatar
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3721
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Go0gleplex »

zarathustra wrote:I would be interested, I find the C&C take on monsters sometimes has just one or two mechanical quirks to suit C&C that I may not have thought of. I'd check it out if the pdf was reasonably priced *ducks for cover*
pdf? Naw...has to be hard cover. I mean, it's so hard to get someone's attention when you slap 'em upside the head with only a cd. ;) :lol:
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

User avatar
Demiurge
Red Cap
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Clinton, ME

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Demiurge »

Go0gleplex wrote: pdf? Naw...has to be hard cover. I mean, it's so hard to get someone's attention when you slap 'em upside the head with only a cd. ;) :lol:
Ur doing it wrong... a CD is a thrown weapon. :mrgreen:
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Relaxo »

zarathustra wrote:I would be interested, I find the C&C take on monsters sometimes has just one or two mechanical quirks to suit C&C that I may not have thought of. I'd check it out if the pdf was reasonably priced *ducks for cover*
LOL :lol:

Personally, i like this title.
It makes it clear this is not the MM or MM2, and possibly very distinct from M&T(of A)

That said, I'd like to see a few new monsters (maybe up to 20% of the book) because, like someone said, the Old books are easy to convert.
((now I duck for cover!))
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

User avatar
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3721
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Go0gleplex »

*feels sorry for the duck being used for cover*

:P
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

User avatar
AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Sherwood Forrest

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by AGNKim »

My aim is to make old-school players have this reaction:

CK: Ahead of you, you see a giant snail. It stands almost seven feet tall to the top of its brightly colored shell. Instead of a single head, it has six flail-like tentacles sticking out. Each is swinging about wildly. It is approaching you rather quickly for a snail. Roll for initiative.

Player: Oh wow! Cool! A flail snail! They are so dumb!

<a battle ensues>

Player: Don't you ever, ever have us fight one of those again, you diabolical SOB.

CK: I thought you said they were dumb?

Player: I hate you.

User avatar
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3232
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Troll Lord »

zarathustra wrote:I would be interested, I find the C&C take on monsters sometimes has just one or two mechanical quirks to suit C&C that I may not have thought of. I'd check it out if the pdf was reasonably priced *ducks for cover*
Okay, this honestly made me laugh out loud.

Steve
_____________________________
He Who Sits on the Elephants Back
The Troll Lord
Steve Chenault, President & CEO of Chenault & Gray Publishing, Troll Lord Games

User avatar
Demiurge
Red Cap
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Clinton, ME

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Demiurge »

AGNKim wrote:My aim is to make old-school players have this reaction:

<snip>

Player: I hate you.
Sold! :D
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

Lord Dynel
Maukling
Posts: 5842
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Lord Dynel »

Andred of Albans wrote:Keep it Old School - if it's not in the original TSR Monster Manual, Monster Manual II (and if you insist, Fiend Folio) you don't need it.

Even that is overkill, in my not so humble opinion. Personally, I believe in DMing on a budget. How many humanoids do you need? Orc means goblin. Hobgoblin is old English for "little goblin". Hobbit means "little one". A Kobold is a goblin that lives in abandoned mines. How many dragons? There are Wyrms (wingless dragons), Drakes (winged western dragons) and Asian dragons. That's it... there ain't no more!

Okay, your campaign may vary, but I like to keep things tightly medievalist - it saves wear and tear on me as a DM and I don't have to worry about keeping 500 monsters straight, the focus is on the story and the role the player characters take in it.
I'll polietely disagree. I mean, you did say it, Andred - campaigns do vary. I personally like all the options. Do I use them? No, not every one. I kind of got the idea you were a medievalist, based on the topics and tone of your other posts. And that's cool; definitely nothing wrong with that. While I'm not traditional in that regard, I am a traditionalist in the classic fantasy sense. Most of my foes, in past campaigns, come straight from the "first monster book" - Monster Maunal (from various editions), Monsters & Treasures, etc. But I still like having the options. Having three monster books (or more) won't stope me from being a traditional monster guy or you from being a medievalist. :)

I agree with Relaxo - I like the title. I'm glad, and hope, that they keep this title, or something similar - I really don't think it necessary to call it M&T II.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

User avatar
Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Andred of Albans »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Andred of Albans wrote:Keep it Old School - if it's not in the original TSR Monster Manual, Monster Manual II (and if you insist, Fiend Folio) you don't need it.
I'll polietely disagree. I mean, you did say it, Andred - campaigns do vary. I personally like all the options. Do I use them? No, not every one.
I was being snarky :lol: Not everything I post is serious :ugeek:
Lord Dynel wrote:I kind of got the idea you were a medievalist, based on the topics and tone of your other posts.
Does it really show :?
Lord Dynel wrote:And that's cool; definitely nothing wrong with that. While I'm not traditional in that regard, I am a traditionalist in the classic fantasy sense. Most of my foes, in past campaigns, come straight from the "first monster book" - Monster Maunal (from various editions), Monsters & Treasures, etc. But I still like having the options. Having three monster books (or more) won't stope me from being a traditional monster guy or you from being a medievalist. :)
Of course not, and it will help keep TLG in business which is definitely a good thing.
Lord Dynel wrote:I agree with Relaxo - I like the title. I'm glad, and hope, that they keep this title, or something similar - I really don't think it necessary to call it M&T II.
Well, we could go with Creature Catalog, Bestiary, Physiologus or Monstrum :mrgreen:
Visit my

Lord Dynel
Maukling
Posts: 5842
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Lord Dynel »

Andred of Albans wrote:I was being snarky :lol: Not everything I post is serious :ugeek:
If you say so, hoss. No harm no foul. That being said, you seemed pretty emphatic in you post for a dislike of yet another lexicon of creatures that it did not seem like snark. Whether it was or not, I'm still allowed to disagree. ;)
Andred of Albans wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:I kind of got the idea you were a medievalist, based on the topics and tone of your other posts.
Does it really show :?
Yes...but I won't hold that against you. :lol:
Andred of Albans wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:And that's cool; definitely nothing wrong with that. While I'm not traditional in that regard, I am a traditionalist in the classic fantasy sense. Most of my foes, in past campaigns, come straight from the "first monster book" - Monster Maunal (from various editions), Monsters & Treasures, etc. But I still like having the options. Having three monster books (or more) won't stope me from being a traditional monster guy or you from being a medievalist. :)
Of course not, and it will help keep TLG in business which is definitely a good thing.
Agreed!
Andred of Albans wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote: I really don't think it necessary to call it M&T II.
Well, we could go with Creature Catalog, Bestiary, Physiologus or Monstrum :mrgreen:
Which furthers my point...but it's all good. A means to an end, my friend. :P
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

User avatar
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3721
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Go0gleplex »

Monssstersss....gooOOOOOood! heh heheh! :)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

User avatar
dachda
Lore Drake
Posts: 1555
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am
Location: Topsham, Maine

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by dachda »

I think it is a perfect title. I noticed the title before I read the blurp about what was to be in it. But the title had already made me think, oh cool, they're converting some more of the old first edition critters. Was glad when I read the blurp to find that was exactly what the book will be. If that is the goal of the book, the title is perfect as is, it fairly unambiguously informs the casual viewer what it is about.

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Relaxo »

I like the flail snail getting some respect. LOL.

Houserule: an average Duck provides +0.5 AC
Dire Duck,+1
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

User avatar
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3721
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Go0gleplex »

Relaxo wrote:I like the flail snail getting some respect. LOL.

Houserule: an average Duck provides +0.5 AC
Dire Duck,+1
:lol:
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl
Posts: 13851
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by serleran »

I'll be interested to see the gentle "translations" into C&C for some creatures, especially Son of Kyuss or the dread Eye of Fear and Flame. Also... Nilbog, Xvart, Azer, and several others. The Fiend Folio (by itself) is just chock full of BBQ; gets tastier to consider Monster Manual II as well.

I do hope there will be some actual new creatures though. I think that should be mandatory.

User avatar
Demiurge
Red Cap
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Clinton, ME

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Demiurge »

Here's the tag line:
Classic Monsters: The Manual. Fear the snail. :D
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

User avatar
AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Sherwood Forrest

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by AGNKim »

serleran wrote:I'll be interested to see the gentle "translations" into C&C for some creatures, especially Son of Kyuss or the dread Eye of Fear and Flame. Also... Nilbog, Xvart, Azer, and several others. The Fiend Folio (by itself) is just chock full of BBQ; gets tastier to consider Monster Manual II as well.

I do hope there will be some actual new creatures though. I think that should be mandatory.
There will be some new monsters, fresh from the mind of yours truly. Been gaming for 148 years now, so I have a few in my brain floating around. :)

OK, maybe closer to 25 years...

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Relaxo »

what about the Dire Duck?
or Dire Flumpf?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Omote »

NORKERS! You've been advised.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Sherwood Forrest

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by AGNKim »

Omote wrote:NORKERS! You've been advised.

~O
Norkers: See Goblin, Hob. Add 1d3 bite damage. Fights with club. Cut and paste everything else. :lol:

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Omote »

Haha! Seperate entry required. Srlsy.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Relaxo »

Xvart, Meezel, Meenlocks?
(I have no idea the original source book for these)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

User avatar
Demiurge
Red Cap
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Clinton, ME

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Demiurge »

Relaxo wrote:Xvart, Meezel, Meenlocks?
(I have no idea the original source book for these)
Xvarts make me think of evil Smurfs. :)
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by clavis123 »

Relaxo wrote:Xvart, Meezel, Meenlocks?
(I have no idea the original source book for these)
They appeared in the 1st Edition Fiend Folio. According to the credits in the back of the book, the Xvart was created by Cricky Hitchcock, the Meazel by Dermot Jackson, and the Meenlock by by Peter Korabik.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Classic Monsters: The Manual

Post by Relaxo »

SWEET! SO THEY'RE IN!

Norkers, Xvarts, Meezels and meenlocks became a bit of a running gag wiht some friends of mine because I inherited a Ranger character whos character sheet listed every possible humanoid and giant he had a bonus to fight, and I guess this group didn't have the FF because they hadn't heard of Norkers, Xvarts and Meezels... and out of context, those are silly sounding words, so it became a running gag.
I didn't say it was a funny story.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Post Reply