What Encumbrance system do you use?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.

Which emcumbrance system do you use?

C&C method (EV system)
22%
Strength = weight allowance, w/ levels of encumbrance (2nd Ed. AD&D)
5%
Strength governs wieght carried, with light load, medium load, etc.)(3.x D&D)
2%
I don't bother, but I keep it realistic
56%
I don't bother at all...carry what you want(in other words, I don't use it)
5%
Some other method (please elaborate)
10%

Total votes: 41

Lord Dynel
Maukling

What Encumbrance system do you use?

Post by Lord Dynel »

This has probably been asked before (maybe even in poll format) but I was wondering what you all used to determine the carry capacities of your groups. My group is not particularly fond of the EV system, so for my next campaign, I'm considering going a different route.

I was hoping to get others feedback on what systems they use and why and hear the pros of some or the cons of others.

My initial thought is going with the 2nd Edition weight allowance system - strength determines how much you can carry. If you go over that amount, consult a chart that will determine what your movement rate is and how movement and combat is affected. But I've been borrowing a lot from 2nd Edition these days (like the surprise rules).
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: What Encumbrance system do you use?

Post by Omote »

By the book, baby! I have learned to love C&C's EV system. It IS simple, if you don't go building your own EV scores. Use the copious amount of examples in the book to guage what EV an item might have, and wammo!

I like the thought of adding up simple, 1-digit numbers to total up encumbrance.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I usually don't bother with encumbrance unless players start to get excessive with it.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Encumbrance is abacus gaming. I throw it out. If a player tries to abuse being allowed to carry things, I cut them off. Besides, I like using bags of holding and other various multidimensional objects so it typically never becomes an issue anyway.

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

I used to handwave it until I discovered Lamentations of the Flame Princess. The gist of it is on page two of the LotFP character sheet.

http://www.lotfp.com/RPG/uploads/pdf/Ch ... heeta4.pdf

Since it's on page two it's really easy to use it with most any game.

Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mark Hall »

Eisenmann wrote:I used to handwave it until I discovered Lamentations of the Flame Princess. The gist of it is on page two of the LotFP character sheet.

http://www.lotfp.com/RPG/uploads/pdf/Ch ... heeta4.pdf

Since it's on page two it's really easy to use it with most any game.
Holy hell, that's a fantastic character sheet! I can tell a lot about the game mechanics in general just from the sheet, and it's clear to follow.
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

wow! I am in full agreement with the last two posters.

1. I have never bothered with encumbrance, except when things get ridiculous (carpets, the proverbial sword golf bag, etc). But the LotFP system is awesome. I will yoink it immediately.

2. It's a great sheet. Very inspirational!
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Since the EV system is inconsistently applied throughout the game (through no fault of the guy who wrote it) and is far too abstract, I ditched it and used a strength-based version, but not a d20 version.

Suffice it to say that I'd use the LotFP system even over my own, if I needed or wanted a quick system like that.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I would use a system like that! Simple, does the job=genius!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

That IS pretty slick.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

I use this one. Similar to BFRPG

Simple Encumbrance System

PC can carry as many items as he has strength points without penalty. System is based off # of items with a very simplified EV.

Add 2 items for a strength prime. Add 2 item for a constitution prime. Eg. 10 strength + con prime = 12 items without penalty.

● You can assume your blades have scabbards, baldrics etc or not, as fits your character image at no EV cost. Basic clothes come free.
Do count all other arms, armour and equipment (quivers, backpacks, pouches, helmets, blankets etc).

In general 1 item counts as 1 item (obviously) BUT....

Objects in the weapons and equipment section with EV's of 1 count as 0.5 items.

Those listed with EV 4 and higher count as 2 items.

Objects listed in equipment and weapons as asterisk* EV get added together. Ten and less make 0.5 items, 11-20 make 1 item and so on.

50 coins equals 0.5 items. 3 sling bullets equals 0.5 items.

Armour of AC 6 and higher counts as 2 items.

Encumbered PC's are 1/2 move, -2 on surprise rolls and all dex checks, trying to keep all that gear in line.

Just 1 encumbrance category but is harshish. Since the iniitial limit is generous enough and mounts are available and I prefer a game where gear choices come into play, I have opted for that scenario.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

finarvyn wrote:I usually don't bother with encumbrance unless players start to get excessive with it.
+1

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I didn't care for the C&C encumbrance rules when the PH was first released. So I just used a sort of common sense approach which worked fine for years. Then when the Trolls and Josh streamlined and made some adjustments to those rules in later print runs, I took 2 of my player's PCs and did a full EV accounting on them and their equipment and my assessments were very close to the RAW.

So now, I just go with my gut and occasionally look at the rules if a PCs acquires something big, heavy or otherwise needing an EV check.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Onirim
Mist Elf

Post by Onirim »

Like many others, i don't use any rules for encumbrance. I keep it realistic anyway :)

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

I don't bother unless im feeling like a asshat/the players are going too far or someone gets stupid with it. My tent,backpack,winter blanket,100 foot of rope and three gallons of milk are in my beltpouch= Time for a encubrance audit.

I use the hackmaster system for encubrance audit! Well not really but I tell the players the following.

I expect you fellows to use the Castles and Crusades rules on encumbrance. Now im never going to check your figures unless there is some issue. As long as you keep a rough track and don't try anything too crazy then I really do not care.

The second you guys push it too far or it comes up in game or I just feel like being a shit, im going to halt the game and run a encumbrance audit and anything over the limit is going to go. You guys do not get to pick what goes...I do. So unless you want to be stranded on the side of a cliff with a 10,000 foot drop with no armor,no weapons,no rope or climbing tools and 800,000 gold, Do not let it b ecome a issue.

Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mark Hall »

Another quick fix for encumbrance: give them a bag of holding early.
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

When the PCs pick up new treasure or items I just do a reality check, and ask the players how much their characters are carrying, and how many big items they are trying to carry. I assume someone can carry half their their body weight before they are significantly slowed down. Otherwise, I just keep it reasonable, such as asking a player to justify how their PC could be carrying both a halberd and a 10 foot pole. I remind players before the start of treasure-centered adventures that they will need to plan on transporting any treasure they find. It also helps that I make "standard" coins smaller, 100 to a pound. This way the coins are as small as "real" gold coins frequently were, and the PCs can carry more before I have to be bothered with encumbrance.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I use the EV method as my guide and to educate newer players so they quickly get an idea of how quickly a character can become encumbered. We usually calculate after character creation is complete but I have never found it necessary to audit the characters later on.

M

Kos
Hlobane Orc

Post by Kos »

I haven't used EV in the past but I'm probably going to introduce it to my campaign. C&C has a good encumbrance system and I've found by not using it certain characters (esp. Rogues) don't get the benefits of 'traveling light' that they should.