Awaken....

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Dead Horse
Red Cap

Awaken....

Post by Dead Horse »

It mentions trees are like animated objects... where are the info/rules for animated objects?

How long does the willingness to preform tasks for the awakener remain?
I have a druid trying to build an army of awakened trees!
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Re: Awaken....

Post by csperkins1970 »

I'd give awakened creatures INT, WIS and CHR, just as in 3.X. Sure the druid can awaken trees but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll follow him.

If that answer doesn't help, I'll give you my version of Animate Plants and the Animate Object spells (1/2 the listed movement rates to approximate their C&C values):

Animate Plants
Alteration
Level: Druid 7
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 30’ (Close)
Targets: One Small plant per 2 caster levels; see text
Duration: 1 round/level or 1 hour/level; see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You imbue inanimate plants with mobility and a semblance of life. Each animated plant then immediately attacks whomever or whatever you initially designate as though it were an animated object. In all other respects this spell functions as the animate objects spell.
Animate plants cannot affect plant creatures, nor does it affect nonliving vegetable material. Animated plants take only take ½ damage from piercing or blunt weapons.
Entangle: Alternatively, you may imbue all plants within range with a degree of mobility, which allows them to entwine around creatures in the area. This usage of the spell duplicates the effect of an entangle spell. Spell resistance does not keep creatures from being entangled. This effect lasts 1 hour per caster level.

Animate Object
Alteration
Level: Cleric 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 30’ (Close)
Area of Effect: One Small object per 2 caster levels; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You imbue inanimate, nonmagical objects with mobility and a semblance of life. Each animated object immediately attacks whomever or whatever you initially designate.
An animated object can be of any nonmagical material. The animated objects attack whomever or whatever the cleric first designates. The object can be of any material whatsoever - wood, metal, stone, fabric, leather, ceramic, glass, etc.
The speed of movement of the object is dependent upon its means of propulsion and its weight. Thus a large stone pedestal would rock forward at 20’ per round while a slithering object could move at 45’ per round. Objects with two legs (statues, ladders) or a similar shape that allows faster movement have a 60’ movement rate. Objects with multiple legs (tables, chairs) have a movement rate of 75’ per round. Wheeled objects have a movement rate of 90’. Objects might have additional modes of movement as well. A wooden object can float and has a movement rate on water equal to half its land speed. A rope or similar sinuous object can climb at half of its normal speed. A sheet-like object can fly (Maneuverability Class E) at half its normal movement rate.
The damage caused by the attack of an animated object is dependent upon its form and composition. Light, supple objects can only obscure vision, obstruct movement, bind, trip, smother, etc. Light, hard objects can fall upon or otherwise strike at their targets, or possibly wrap around and trip as do light, supple objects. Hard objects can crush or strike, with larger objects dealing more damage.
As a general guideline, assume that all animated objects have an armor class of 15. Small objects will have 15 hit points, Medium objects will have 30 hit points and Large objects will have 45 hit points. All attack as if their hit dice equaled the spellcaster’s level. Animated objects deal 1d4 points of damage per size category (Small objects deal 1d4, Medium objects deal 2d4 and Large objects deal 3d4 points of damage).
Stone or hard metal objects take only ½ damage from piercing and slashing weapons, while supple materials (such as rope or cloth) only take ½ damage from bludgeoning and piercing weapons.
You may animate one Small or smaller object or an equivalent number of larger objects per 2 caster levels. A Medium object counts as two Small or smaller objects, a Large object as four Small objects. As such, a 12th level cleric may animate either 6 Small objects or its equivalent in larger objects This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature. Animate object can be made permanent with a permanency spell.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

According to awaken the awakened plant or animal gain int and other stats.
The spell ...
The caster awakens a tree or animal to human-like sentience. To succeed, the
caster must make a wisdom save, with the target’s hit dice constituting the
challenge level. The awakened animal or tree is friendly toward the caster. The
caster has no special empathy or connection with the awakened creature,
although it serves the caster in specific tasks or endeavors if the caster can
communicate their desires to it. An awakened tree has characteristics of an
animated object. Awakened trees gain the ability to move their limbs, roots,
vines, creepers, etc., and have senses similar to a humans. An awakened animal
gets 3d6 intelligence, a +1 charisma bonus, and +2 hit dice. An awakened tree
or animal can speak one language that the caster knows.

Imagine a druid casting this spell three times a day in a forest for weeks on end....
Please don't beat me.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Dead Horse wrote: Imagine a druid casting this spell three times a day in a forest for weeks on end....
I TOLD you to stay off the grass. :twisted:
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

That is were you have to use the powers of being a reasonable DM.

1) Awaken seems to allow you to animate trees but does it mean that they can actually walk like an Ent? Or just animate enough to attack within reach?

2) Balance of Nature question, once the Tree is Awakened it is no longer "a tree", and by that I mean, it does not function in the same natural way as a tree. Perhaps it does not pollenate or produce seeds, perhaps it no longer respires in the same way. A druid who awakens an entire forest has functionally just destroyed an entire forest. I'd imagine you would have to have a damn good reason for doing such a thing.

3) Some of these same question should be applied to animals also. Giving them human intelligence may not be such a good idea, one or 2 close companions can be dealt with, cared for, and counciled, but make 100 or 1000 of these things? My guess is that is the path to madness and bad things will start to happen to the animals who can't handle being really smart and stuck in an animals body.

Druids have always had hugely abuseable spells but they are suppose to have some sort of moral code of conduct. [Unlike Evil clerics or Power crazed mages :) ]

-Mike

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Awaken is one of the druid's best spells. However, it is often overlooked by players so I say congrats on someone using it!

That said... there used to be more difficulties involved. Difficulties I still keep such as there being only X number of druids in a continent/setting/location capable of casting it due to level requirements. Want to replace the Heirophant? Go battle him to the death.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I did have a Druid awaken an army of tree's, but they needed it, they were fighting the armies of Unklar. Most of the tree's are dead and the Druid is atoning.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Dead Horse wrote:According to awaken the awakened plant or animal gain int and other stats.
The spell ...
communicate their desires to it. An awakened tree has characteristics of an

Imagine a druid casting this spell three times a day in a forest for weeks on end....
Friendly doesn't mean in-thrall to the character. It would still be a tough sell to convince an army of friendly, awakened trees to mobilize for war. I also agree with others in noting that awakening a ton of trees is NOT in keeping with a druid's ethos.

I hope my guidelines for animated objects/plants helped.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

True, it might better serve the ethos of most druids to awaken something that is already unattached to the natural environment. How fire would it be for the PCs to come across a catapult and awaken that? MOBILE ARTILLERY, HERE I COME!

*sigh*
Alas, tis relegated to much smaller objects most of the time...
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

communicate their desires to it.
An awakened tree has characteristics of an

its the bolded text that causes the problem.
i came to simular conclusions about the environment as everyone else has.
It still doesnt limit a spell that is way more abuseable then continual light/flame.
Please don't beat me.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yes, but it is not a control spell. You can make suggestions to the awakened thing but if it decides that the action would be counter to its nature, such as jumping in a river to become a dam, it will refuse. It is your friend, not your puppet.

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

If someone thinks the spell can be abusable, use the restriction from the d20 version of the spell where each casting costs experience points.