Crusader 24

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Kurgan
Ungern

Crusader 24

Post by Kurgan »

Spotted something funny...

Head for the back of the book, and look at the order form. Look under the "Liquidation" category.

Now that's some liquidation! You from New Jersey? lol

:)

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Crusader 24

Post by Omote »

Haha. Funny.

I'd also like to mention that I love the cover of this issue. Pete Bradley's artwork really gives C&C a certain feel to it, that is slightly different than other fantasy RPGs. But honestly, this cover art is wasted on the Crusader. This piece NEEDS to be on a book about terrible, dark magics or something. The feeling that this cover provides to me is of a young woman about to be terribly corrupted by foul magics, yet she was never a perfectly pure soul either. She was already a dabbler in dark magic. I llove this painting.

The other piece of art from this issue is one page 1, the elf with the bearded axe. Wow, that drawing is also jaw-dropping. That is another peice that should be in a book somewhere.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, they normally sell that for $10, not full retail.

Good issue, I like the return of the historical article and the decision to do their own Ecology series.

I do think Steve could have gone into a lot more details in giving suggestion on how to run games ranging through the various levels, but as a summary kind of series of articles it is pretty good.

I also got a kick out of the joke advertisements for there finally being a CKG available.

Plus I met the CK with the 20 volumes of house rules.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have to say perfect timing on the Wenefar magic item! Its history fed right into what I needed for my home game!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Nice issue, I've only pages through it and will dig in tomorrow.

Omote, how about the artwork on the inside of the back cover???

Awesome!!

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It was an explosion of Peter Bradley artwork in that mutha~! Great issue.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, they should make the inside back cover into a print (Which I am sure Peter has already done.) and make it available as desk top wall paper.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm still trying to find time to sit down and read it, though I've thumbed through it.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Treebore wrote:Plus I met the CK with the 20 volumes of house rules.
You read my comic! And remembered it! :o

I think it gets funnier once (1) we get past the reprints, and (2) we get into the real plot. The bad thing about my style of comic is that it takes a while to get to the point. Not so bad when I did 5 strips a week for the old college paper, but a little slow with a quarterly/monthly/occasionally magazine. ;)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It helps that I have met such CK's. People have accused me of having a lot of house rules, but I am able to brush those comments off because I have seen what excessive house rules are.

Sundog
Red Cap

Post by Sundog »

#24 will probably take a wee while to get over here, what with the bank holidays and the backlog from the snowy weather we've been having, but it'll be lovely to get hold of an issue again. I do agree with JediOre about the binding, though; on a nice, slim little mag like the Crusader, staple binding is fine, and has some operational advantages. It only becomes a problem when you get 100+ page issues like the old Dragon mags.
"History teaches us that men behave wisely after they've exhausted all other alternatives."

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

finarvyn wrote:
Treebore wrote:Plus I met the CK with the 20 volumes of house rules.
You read my comic! And remembered it! :o

I think it gets funnier once (1) we get past the reprints, and (2) we get into the real plot. The bad thing about my style of comic is that it takes a while to get to the point. Not so bad when I did 5 strips a week for the old college paper, but a little slow with a quarterly/monthly/occasionally magazine. ;)
Hey I am that DM, and I resemble that comic!!! :o

I just got my free PDF care of Twitter, Fat Dragon and the kind folks at Troll Lord Games. I loved it too, seriously considering contributing and subscribing - reminds me of the old Different Worlds magazine (still one of my favorites).

Excellent work!
Visit my

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:Haha. Funny.

I'd also like to mention that I love the cover of this issue. Pete Bradley's artwork really gives C&C a certain feel to it, that is slightly different than other fantasy RPGs. But honestly, this cover art is wasted on the Crusader. This piece NEEDS to be on a book about terrible, dark magics or something. The feeling that this cover provides to me is of a young woman about to be terribly corrupted by foul magics, yet she was never a perfectly pure soul either. She was already a dabbler in dark magic. I llove this painting.
Steve said "Hey, do you happen to have something laying around I can use for a crusader cover?"

I had that laying around. The picture that is. Not the model. It would be awesome to have the model laying around. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Um... I'm sure. But you'd know better than us all!

~O
VAE VICTUS!