Thread found - thanks to mgtremaine!!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Thread found - thanks to mgtremaine!!

Post by Tadhg »

This one from the now old TLG forum:

http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

[And, for what it's worth - that thread was the 2nd iteration. The very 1st thread somehow got mysteriously deleted on the old boards]

Normally, I could care less about my threads, but that one seemed very popular and was a great way to learn about all the fantastic RPG material available and what our forum members thought about said products!!

:(
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Re: What the FOCK!! Where's my thread??

Post by serleran »

I believe there was mention that some threads, notably the ones that had numerous pages, may have been left behind in the scrape and replace. It can probably be restored if it is gone from here.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I didn't read that anywhere, but seems to recall that some posts may have been lost between the start and end of the port over.

To delete large threads that are current and popular would be stupid.

Old large threads that died years ago would appear to be a better way to go.

:x

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, I will see what I can ascertain. I doubt there's an anti-Rhu conspiracy and certainly not from my side of things. :)

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

"Your thread" is right here

[mgt@vega topic_done]$ ls -al topic_007520.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 mgt staff 532766 Dec 10 21:44 topic_007520.xml

There was no targeted deleting or even any other whacky stuff. Some threads have corruption due to special ascii characters I did not think to filter or failure in the loop to close an xml tag. The longer the thread the more chances to hit one of these errors. Once I got to the inserting portion I ignored all errors and just hoped for the best. As it was we got 90+% of the content moved. I called it a win. I did the best I could with as much time as I was able to devote to this. I spent about 6-8 hours writing the scraping scripts and another 14 hours running them. [Not mention the time afterward beating the stuffing out of the database restore features.]

Now if you really really care I can spend the 10 minutes or so it takes to debug the thread and find the corruptions and try to restore it. But please at least recognize that someone had to figure how to move all 10,000+ topics and it was done for free.

-Mike

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

mgtremaine wrote:"Your thread" is right here

[mgt@vega topic_done]$ ls -al topic_007520.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 mgt staff 532766 Dec 10 21:44 topic_007520.xml

There was no targeted deleting or even any other whacky stuff. Some threads have corruption due to special ascii characters I did not think to filter or failure in the loop to close an xml tag. The longer the thread the more chances to hit one of these errors. Once I got to the inserting portion I ignored all errors and just hoped for the best. As it was we got 90+% of the content moved. I called it a win. I did the best I could with as much time as I was able to devote to this. I spent about 6-8 hours writing the scraping scripts and another 14 hours running them. [Not mention the time afterward beating the stuffing out of the database restore features.]

Now if you really really care I can spend the 10 minutes or so it takes to debug the thread and find the corruptions and try to restore it. But please at least recognize that someone had to figure how to move all 10,000+ topics and it was done for free.

-Mike
Hey bro, don't know who the heck you are - but that's not much of a link ~ meaning, what the heck . . it's not "hyper". So, I can't link/see what you are referring to.

In my 25+ years in IT ~ it's almost always been 100% completion of data transfers/moves ~ whatever you want to call it.

But anyway, if you were doing this for free, then nevermind. You deserve a PAT on the back.

Sorry, as a retired IT pro - my expectations are HIGH!

:?

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Sorry, Rhu, it is an "anti-Rhu" conspiracy! You're just too controversial!! ;o)

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Welcome to "National Pick on Rhuvein Day!" And if there is a global consipiracy, I've not been told about it. Of course, I'm the last to hear about anything.
Rhuvein wrote:Normally, I could care less about my threads, but that one seemed very popular and was a great way to learn about all the fantastic RPG material available and what our forum members thought about said products!!
Actually, the phrase is "couldn't care less" because if you could care less then you must care a little. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I, too, vote it as nat'l anti rhuvein day!!! What the hell is it that Steve is always mumbling? "Trollzah!"v :P :D
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I chalk it up to the internets. If you are posting on a message board on the internets, then you have to understand that at any point your postings could simply vanish to the electronic ether. It's the price we pay and the chance we take... DOWN WITH THE RHU POST-COUNT! Mwuhahahaha.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Haha, my thread was restored - goblinish conspiracy twarted!

Trollzah and . .

thanks to mgtremaine!

:D