Attribute Advancement.

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
grimmdoc
Henchman

Attribute Advancement.

Post by grimmdoc »

ok so I was wondering if this would be too overpowered for C&C

Once every 5 levels each player gains 2 points to use to increase the attributes of their characters. They may spend them how they like.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Attribute Advancement.

Post by Go0gleplex »

If I were to do something like this, I'd make it only one (1) point.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

Lets break it down:
3.5 is a +2 every 4 levels for 20 levels (a total of +10 attribute points) - spend as you like
Grimdoc House Rule is +2 for every 5 levels for 12 levels (a total of +4 attribute points) or for 20 levels (+8 attribute points) -spend as you like

Since C&C PCs get to add their full levels to some Siege checks, those bonuses help out a bit, especially at higher levels.
At a regular power level, I'd do +2 every 4 levels for 12 levels (for a +6 total), but it has be a different attribute each time.
If I wanted a heroic game, I'd do +2 every 3 levels for 12 levels, but when an attribute reaches a +3 bonus, it's banned from further boosting. At that point I might also put a cap on enchantments as well.

grimmdoc
Henchman

Post by grimmdoc »

I kinda figured that it might be a bit much so rather than having them boost attributes through leveling, I'm gonna bring back an old rule of my AD&D Second ed days where you advanced an attribute through (outside of magical means) Intense training, study and meditation.

so if the players want to raise their stats they (beyond aid of magic) they will have to work very hard for it.

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Post by KaiserKris »

I'm doing +1 attribute point per four levels for my games, and then rewriting the classes so they gain a +2 in one of 1-2 attributes of their choice at 20th level. The game goes up to 25th level, potentially. So they gain attributes at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th and 24th levels. All attributes are capped at 25 for PCs and 30 for monsters (tentatively).

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I would still cap them at racial maximum's, 18 for humans, 19 for races with a +1 bonus. 17 for a -1, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I throw the PCs this bonus from time to time. Players love it, and as long as PC stats don't get too out of wack, I think it's better for the game. Even the most hard-core old-school gamer loves a bonus from time to time. An option that I thought worked well was, when using talents/feats option in your games make one of those choices a +1 to an attribute score.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I'm more of a fan of having the party quest for one of the manuals of attribute improvement. If that's what they're after, and if everybody in the party wants one, they're going to be doing some serious questing. It gives me as a CK lots of options for new adventures etc.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

It has not come up in my game yet but.....

The mortal cap is 25 [the tables go out to 30 for monsters & gods]

Each type of Magic can be used only once per character per attribute. The Magics are Wish, Miracle, Alter Reality, Act of Nature [yes each class has it's 9th lvl Wish like spell] + Stat Books. So the possibility is a heck of a lot of questing, or having a lot of friendly high level casters to be the min/max godling you've always dreamed of :)...

-Mike

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I have numerous ways of stat modification so I find I do not need an automatic method just granted to the players. If they want to change their character, they can seek out the means in-game or they can play a different one. That sounds extreme, but I feel strongly that the emphasis of playing should move away from what is written down and more onto what can be done with what is written down.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Attribute scores aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things. Owing to that, I allow players to increase any stat by 1 every three levels, not increasing the same score twice in a row. Max is 19, 20 for class related stat. So even if a Fighter starts with an 18 STR, raises it to 19 at 3rd level, raises something else at 6th level (since no stat can be increased twice in a row), it will be 9th level before he has a 20 STR. At 1st level, he was getting a +3 STR bonus. Now, its +4. No big deal IMHO.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

One could steal a page from HackMaster and add percentile stats in between the regular numbers and allow some sort of die roll to each stat each adventure. For example (and I don't have HM handy) maybe allow a 2d10 stat increase to each percent each adventure. On the average it would take a decent number of adventures to advance by a full point but might make the players feel like they are growing and advancing constantly.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975