Squee!!!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Inkpot

Squee!!!

Post by Inkpot »

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/ ... 81606.html

*promptly wets himself*

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

IceGiant

Post by IceGiant »

Squee indeed my young padawan. I have high hopes for this game. Wow is so very boring these days.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Darn nice graphics, but yikes another great looking online game that I need to avoid. I already spend way too much time online.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Nice. Trollslayers, Chaos Knights, and priests of Sigmar, oh my...

angelius

Post by angelius »

We need to start a TLG clan.....
I'll be down.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Count me in!

Ink

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

angelius wrote:
We need to start a TLG clan.....
I'll be down.

Hehe, the last time I joined a clan for SOCOM on the PS2 . . . played every night for hours . . . very addicting . . . very bad!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

RoxX0rz.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Azlat

Post by Azlat »

I need to go change my shorts.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Anyone know live date for this?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

WOW!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

angelius wrote:
Anyone know live date for this?

All I've seen is 'sometime in 2007'.....

Ink

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Yep one of the games I am following big time

Ken

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Rhuvein wrote:
Darn nice graphics, but yikes another great looking online game that I need to avoid. I already spend way too much time online.

I agree, I waste too much time now on the net, so far I've managed to stay clear of online games, but this does look very 8)

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I used to spend entirely too much time with on-line games, since then I've managed to steer clear of them.

Dammit. This one makes we want to play again.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

I'll be honest....I *despise* mmorpg's.....and yet....ooooooh shiny......

Ink

babbage

Re: Squee!!!

Post by babbage »

Inkpot wrote:
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/ ... 81606.html

*promptly wets himself*

Ink

What did you do that for? I was in blissful ignorance dammit! *sigh*

- Benjamin Franklin

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

I don't waste any itme online. I enjoy my time on line and when it becomes a waste then I shall change
Ken

EQ, DAC, WoW, and was following LA too

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

That intro was way cool, but it just makes me wish they'd do a Warhammer film. Gameplay will be nothing like that, so why advertise it like it was a movie trailer? There is a trend in video gaming to make the gamer more of a spectator than a participant.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

BeZurKur wrote:
That intro was way cool, but it just makes me wish they'd do a Warhammer film. Gameplay will be nothing like that, so why advertise it like it was a movie trailer? There is a trend in video gaming to make the gamer more of a spectator than a participant.

Yes, I do recall when computer games starting running an intro scene to start the game. It was just like a movie preview or intro clip. It was usually well done w/great graphics - perhaps to highlight or show off the game.

Can't quite remember the first time, but maybe Quake 1, Duke Nukem or HL?

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

Rhuvein wrote:
Can't quite remember the first time, but maybe Quake 1, Duke Nukem or HL?

I'm not a first-person shooter fan, so I can't say for sure. But, I did play and finish Half-Life. If I recall correctly, the cut-scenes were done with the same engine as the game and at least they usually provided some kind of info the player needed to have. It was an attempt to merge the cinematic viewer experience with the visceral buton mashing gamer experience. They maintained the engine and look for a seamless transition. It worked to an extent, although I'm still not keen on the idea of passive gaming -- if even only for a moment.

Unlike HL, this intro cannot possibly be any indication of game play and is probably as far removed to it as Jackson's Lord of the Ring movies: one is movie and the other an MMO. I'd be disappointed to buy the game, view the intro, and then be thrown in an area with 500 other players looking for the same boring mission. Meanwhile there is someone by the tag PwnMe doing a dance or other ridiculous emote. Nah, it's definately not for me.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Well, I'll reserve judgement for when the game actually comes out. Unlike alot of people, I actually like the intros to games regardless of whether or not they actually *look* like the game itself. They set a mood, and many times that makes all the difference in a game - at least for me.

Of course, it's quite possible that the previous poster is absolutely correct - this may turn out to be yet another EQ clone with slightly different graphics and a fresh 'new' spin on the same old grind. However, I'll wait until I can actually confirm this, rather than speculate on it.
And besides - the warhammer universe kicks several kinds of ass. =)

Ink

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Can't talk now, busy drooling....

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

Just to be clear, I made no judement of the game, since I didn't see any of it in the video. On the contrary, I'm saying I will not be sold to it based on an incredible intro -- and yes, I agree, the intro is jaw dropping.

While I suppose it is speculative to say that gameplay will not resemble that video, I think that it is a fair and safe speculation. It might be an awesome Massive Multiplayer Online experience: I don't know. But, it will still be an MMO and have NPC's to pick up missions from; there will also be all kinds of people playing at the same time. Some will be interested in role-playing, while others will prefer the chatroom environment; some will enjoy the PvP, and others just doing comedic silly things.

Also judging by the increased resources that the developers are spending on cinematic cut-scenes ,and the excitement generated on boards (this one and others) by that opening, I'd say a lot of people do judge games by the intro. I on the other hand, will reserve my drool for innovative and intelligent game design. I want my mood set by good gameplay -- looks have little to do with it.

If you are interested in an awesome talk by Will Wright, check out this transcript. It is mind-blowing.

angelius

Post by angelius »

I went to the official site, www.warhammeronline.com and I must say that i'm pretty impressed so far.

It looks suspiciously like WoW to me. A game that I've thankfully finally broke the habit from.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

well I only play wow 7 days a week so I have my my habit well in hand. Though I don't; consider it any more of a habit then I consider my getting together with my friends to play C&C 2 or 3 days a week a habit

Ken

now if only I could get a cure for my work habit

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

BeZurKur wrote:
I'm not a first-person shooter fan, so I can't say for sure. But, I did play and finish Half-Life. If I recall correctly, the cut-scenes were done with the same engine as the game and at least they usually provided some kind of info the player needed to have. It was an attempt to merge the cinematic viewer experience with the visceral buton mashing gamer experience. They maintained the engine and look for a seamless transition. It worked to an extent, although I'm still not keen on the idea of passive gaming -- if even only for a moment.

HL definitely has the best game intro, IMO. It really set a great tone for the game experience.

Btw, your post reminded of how interesting Doom III did cut-away scenes (to third person) - very interesting. Like watching a mini-movie and worked perfectly as you said to merge the cinematic and gaming experiences!

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

Yeah, the HL intro was cool. More is coming back to me now. The player had some control over the character during the intro. It was basic go here and there kind of stuff, but it kept him involved. Yeah, I now remember. Talk about mood setting! It was innovative and helped make the game, hence one of the few FPS I played. Thanks for reminding me how fun that game was Rhuvein.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

You guys (if you have the CPU to handle it) should check out Half-Life 2, it is one of the greatest games I've ever played.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I spend too much time playing games off line. So I be sure to avoid on-line games. I have never played any game on-line and I intend to never do so. Other than C&C chat games and PbP's, of course!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.