Assassin?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Assassin?

Post by Troll Lord »

So, I'm just curious about this class. Its never played in my game, nor Davis. Last time it was it was nothing more than a fancy rogue.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer »

I've only gotten to play in a couple of C&C games, but someone played an assassin in both. In one of them, the assassin was originally sent to kill one of the other PCs, so he was actually an assassin, not just a glorified rogue.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Assassin?

Post by gideon_thorne »

Oddly enough, my thief-assassin/psionic character is the most powerful character I have at the improbable level of 27th on average. One of the first batch of characters I created when I first started playing.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Like the rogue, the class can fall to the wayside if the Castle Keeper does not consider the more specific nature of the class... which is no to say the character is restricted in adventuring, but to "feel useful" (ie, to use those class functions more often) situations need to exist to allow it, such as not minding if the assassin scouts out the goblin camp and sees which fellow is the leader, and then offs him. It is a different sort of game with the assassin in... and it is one I tend to like. Also, it does not require an urban game to use the class... it just means the assassin has to think a little anti-paradigm, and not be told "no."

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I've never seen anyone play one. either when I play or CK. Right now I am CKing with a bunch of newbie players. I'd love them to play an assasin in the manner Serleran talks about, but being relatively new to PnP RPGing their imaginations are quite there yet. They're learning quick though!

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

We used them as a NPC only. Never really found a need for them during a dungeon crawl or for a typical adventure. If you get into a more political intrigue type thing or dealing with nasty, nefarious groups, I can see it being used more often.

But, as a regular PC, nah - not in my game.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Is it an ominoding when a mighty Troll Lord asks about the frequency of use of a class? Is the assassin's days numbered?

I put "never" but not because I "hate that class." I don't think anyone does that I've played with, either. I've only seen one assassin in play and that was in 1st Edition. I probably haven't played enough games to see one, but I tell you this - the first game I get to play C&C, I'm going to play an assassin.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

As an NPC class they are fine, but for my campaigns not as a PC class. I don't see them fitting into the type of games that I run.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I've had a player run one in an earlier campaign and we both had some fun with it. We developed a solid background that I could play off of and it made the notion of an assassin-turned-adventurer a lot more practical.

I also played a multi-classes Monk/Assassin (aka my ninja). That character was something else. I was playing in a higher level campaign but the class combo was not a game breaker.

However, I will agree that the assassin, like a couple of the other classes may fit a certain style of campaign more than others.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I don't ever recall playing one, but I've been in D&D games with them over the years. What problems I've encountered have always had more to do with the individual playing the character, the GM, or the interaction between them (or sometimes another player), rather than with the class itself.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I have had players who have occassionally played an assassin. I agree that it is up to the CK to determine how well this class fits into his/her campaign.

I had one player who I worked with used his assassin effectively to infiltrate a group of bandits and then take out certain key leaders inconjunction with the player group's assault on the bandit stronghold. We had a lot of fun that night.

I usually try and let each member of the PC party really shine and be the focal point at least once during a campaign, this one scenario highlighted the assassin PC.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

The only trouble I see with the assassin is when players become too clich with it. The class isn't Captain Obvious. They don't all walk around in dark goth and act creepy in the corner. Like the illusionist, this class requires a lot of subtlety to play. Not something the typical 'kill the monster and take its stuff' player has.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have two in my games right now, the highest being level 9 (I think, might be 8th), I have several rules that keep it from being a problem, a couple fo which apply to everyone who plays in my games.

1. Players never, ever, screw with each others characters. This means no killing each other or stealing from each other. You feel the need to do such things, don't play in my games.

2. When playing Assassins in my games think James Bond, not mafia hit man.

Its worked real well in my games. I know of several instances where letting people play evil and/or assassins has led to serious game group problems. My rules has kept me from having similar problems.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I always like the assassin, Raoul, in Weis and Perin's Mag Force 7 novels. A most colourful, but effective, character.

Peter Bradley

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

NPC only!

I do like having rules for assassins, to send them after PCs on occasion...

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Read Crusader 12.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

gideon_thorne wrote:
They don't all walk around in dark goth

Is there any other kind?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

CKDad wrote:
Is there any other kind?

*grin* Actually, there's quite a variety of goth out there. And the outfits can range from the silly, to the quite creative.

Peter Bradley

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Used one in a test run of C&C and dumped it. It's too much like and altered rogue and the rogue can fill in for the class nicely. Like the monk the assassin was expelled from my games.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Like all classes, even if you personally don't like it- or play it, it is good to be in there for those who do. Doesn't affect anyone's game if they exclude a class but will if it is eliminated.

Me personally, I like all the classes and hope to have them all played in my games over time.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Like all classes, even if you personally don't like it- or play it, it is good to be in there for those who do. Doesn't affect anyone's game if the exclude a class but will if it is eliminated.

Me personally, I like all the classes and hope to have them all played in my games over time.

yeah, the assassin and thief do have a lot of overlap, but the differences in their special attacks, poison, picking locks, etc... does make a very noticeable difference.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I've seen some played fairly well, so I wouldn't want the class to disappear entirely, etc.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

My wife currently plays a halfling assassin and enjoys it very much, because no one would ever suspect the cute little bar wench is secretly planning to murder half the occupants. The class definitely has its place... though, for many, that seems to be "as a NPC."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Like all classes, even if you personally don't like it- or play it, it is good to be in there for those who do. Doesn't affect anyone's game if the exclude a class but will if it is eliminated.

That's how I feel about it. I wouldn't say no to anyone who wants to play it, it's just that no one has, yet. I'd rather it be there and no one play it than someone want to play it and it be gone.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Assasins are more played than rogues in my games thus far.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

One of the players in my group is running a cleric/assassin multi-class. It's an interesting combination. He (actually, the character is a she) takes care of party healing, but when the party isn't looking, will poison her weapons and those of the party thief. And yes, I say thief instead of rogue.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Lord Dynel wrote:
I wouldn't say no to anyone who wants to play it, it's just that no one has, yet. I'd rather it be there and no one play it than someone want to play it and it be gone.

Gnomes have skated by on that philosophy for years!

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

DangerDwarf wrote:
Gnomes have skated by on that philosophy for years!

I would generally oppose the elimination of any of the original 1/e races and/or classes. I think the Trolls have more sense than to do that.

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

The way I have it is that Assassins are more politically connected. They aren't simply hired killers as you could get gutter trash for that. As was said earlier, think James Bond (thats a good fit, btw). I have it that the 3 'main' guilds all dislike one another intensely: Thieves, Assassins & Bounty Hunters.

Thieves hate the Bounty Hunters because they most often get caight by them.

Bounty Hunters, being exemplars of Lawful, dislike Assassins on general principle.

Assassins, whose mandate comes from their shadowy guildmasters, dislike both the Thieves Guild and Bouny Hunters because they tend to get in the way. Thieves steal from the rich and powerful, who are the targets most often of the Asssassin's Guild. Bounty Hunters want the corrupt brought to justice on their terms, not those of whomever hired the Assassins. Not anyone can hire an Assassin.

Zebulon

Re: Assassin?

Post by Zebulon »

I have seen this class played as often as paladins. (Both were played rarely though...)