Mega Media Depot

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
eibon

Mega Media Depot

Post by eibon »

On a thread that has been closed in another section someone mentioned how this company, Mega Media Depot, was offering Troll Lord products for sale that hadn't even been released yet on ebay.

Back in July I purchased a book from them for my twin nephews and as of today I have not received any book, or even a reply to several emails (although they were quick to send their email address to accept the PayPal order). I have had to file a complaint via PayPal and the worst part is that this could have been alleviated if I had seen that thread sooner as I purchased the book from them via Abe Books and not ebay, the former having no feedback system like the latter.

This is just a cautionary tale to avoid this company for yet another reason, if the book has already been released (and produced for that matter) there doesn't seem to be much chance you will see it.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Sorry to hear that, damn. But thanks for the info on them. To be avoided for sure.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Another reason why I will order TLG products only from TLG.

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

They're the company that offered to sell products before they're even released, yes? Sorry, but that is a major red flag to me, making me wary and distrustful automatically. Sucks they did what they did.

meepo

Post by meepo »

Inkpot wrote:
Another reason why I will order TLG products only from TLG.

Ink

A great suggestion not only for TLG, but anything! Haivng to deal with a middle man is never worth a small discount!

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Ebion, have you reported this vendor to Ebay, they are very good about poolicing scam artists like this. I did rpeort this guy about the unpublished books, but not sure on the outcome.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

eibon

Post by eibon »

serleran wrote:
They're the company that offered to sell products before they're even released, yes? Sorry, but that is a major red flag to me, making me wary and distrustful automatically. Sucks they did what they did.

I had bought the book from them from them via another avenue besides ebay before I saw that thread. After I read it and I was musing at the audacity of selling unproduced material I did a double take and realized that it was the same place I bought the book from. Then I checked their feedback, wiping a small bead of nervous sweat from my brow.

If only the thread had happened here about two days before it had...

--Clark Ashton Smith

meepo

Post by meepo »

My goodness, jus looking at their feedback now.

Wow.

Sure they have 2,600+ positive this month, but they have over 600 negative/neutral feedback too. That's crazy! I have trouble getting up the nerve to bid on something from someone with more than one negative feedback, much less nearly a thousand.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... mediadepot

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

meepo wrote:
My goodness, jus looking at their feedback now.

Wow.

Sure they have 2,600+ positive this month, but they have over 600 negative/neutral feedback too. That's crazy! I have trouble getting up the nerve to bid on something from someone with more than one negative feedback, much less nearly a thousand.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... mediadepot

Wow, they are "mega". I don't believe I've ever dealt with any eBay seller that large. That might be the problem, too many transactions to keep track of. Yeah, and way too many negative feedbacks.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

I avoid ebay like the plague. My girlfriend doesn't have a problem with them, but I tell her not to purchase anything for me from ebay. Yup, I miss out on a few deals....but I don't get screwed by scammers, either.

Ink

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Inkpot wrote:
I avoid ebay like the plague. My girlfriend doesn't have a problem with them, but I tell her not to purchase anything for me from ebay. Yup, I miss out on a few deals....but I don't get screwed by scammers, either.

Ink

How come, did you have some bad experiences with them?

I myself think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've made amazing purchases at fantastic prices. No online dealer or store can even touch them on OOP pricing. And for me, there are no stores nearby who carry OOP.

I've purchased shrinkwrapped the D&D Expert box, Ravenloft campaign box, Forgotten Realms campaign box, B2, L2, D&D Clue among other RPG stuff.

And I've purchased other brand new stuff on eBay and have been very satisfied. Movies, CD, switchblades, electronic devices for my X10 control system, books, etc. It's a really great resource.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Rhuvein wrote:
How come, did you have some bad experiences with them?

Firstly, I despise auctions. If I want to purchase something, I want to pay my money and get my item. Done deal. I hate the constant bid-watching and sheer maddening frustration when some jackass swoops in on you with a minute left in the auction and outbids you. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Secondly, if statistics are to be believed, using Ebay is like walking up to a thief and handing him your wallet and car keys. 42% of all complaints sent to the NCL (National Consumers League) deal with online auctions where the goods were never delivered or seriously misrepresented. I was unable to find any hard statistics on how many Ebay transactions end up being scams in a given year. I'm sure Ebay tries very hard not to let this information out.
So that's my beef with Ebay. Others may disagree, and have every right to do so. But as for me and my hard-earned coppers, we'll shop elsewhere.
Ink

eibon

Post by eibon »

I haven't had a problem with ebay thanks to the feedback system, had I seen the link that Meepo pointed out, I would have avoided MMD and bought the book elsewhere. Instead of looking on ebay I bought it through AbeBooks while I was looking for a few hard to find books.

And ebay isn't just about auctions, with the "Buy Now" option you can just purchase the item and go from there.

--Clark Ashton Smith