May's level of Castle (Mad Archmage) Greyhawk up...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

May's level of Castle (Mad Archmage) Greyhawk up...

Post by Treebore »

http://rs631.rapidshare.com/files/23154 ... 3_0905.pdf

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Is this the Castle of the Mad Archmage, Tree?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Lord Dynel wrote:

Yes! The "Maze" level.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sweetness! Thanks!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:

I edited the thread title to make things a bit clearer, I hope. I often tend to be too literal in how I remember things, so instead of play the Mad Archmage/Castle Greyhawk game my mind just goes straight to "Castle Greyhawk".

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:
I edited the thread title to make things a bit clearer, I hope. I often tend to be too literal in how I remember things, so instead of play the Mad Archmage/Castle Greyhawk game my mind just goes straight to "Castle Greyhawk".

No worries. I just didn't know whether to download it or not. I kind of figured it was since it's the closest thing we got to the Castle, but I wanted to be sure.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

The maze aspect of it made me grind my teeth.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DangerDwarf wrote:
The maze aspect of it made me grind my teeth.

I haven't looked at it yet, but I doubt it would make you grind your teeth as much as the one Gary had done. Its those ones where you can walk on the walls and ceilings too (Tesseracts?). Those drive me nuts. The illustration Gideon showed me looked nice though.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Tesseracts (also called hypercubes) are 4th dimensional. That usually means space-time. Watch the semi-horror movie Cube 2: Hypercube for a good idea on what it would be like to be inside one...

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hypercube blows. I just wish this Mad Archmage dungoen would be, um, a little better. So far it seems kind of generic, at least the few levels I saw. I guess I'll take a look at it again once there are more levels, but meh, so far.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Blue maps make my eyes bleed, especially on a computer screen. >_<

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Well, to be honest, they don't look at that bad. It's not the maps that as much as what's in them that make the dungeon. Take it or leave it. I enjoy seeing someone elses take on it. Yes, it's not the Master's version, but it seems like fun for a good ole crawl!

Sorry, but I grew up with the blue maps and suit me fine!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Hypercube blows.

I didn't say it was a good movie. I said it was a good take on the actual theory.
I like blue maps... but, not on my monitor. If I didn't have a printer problem (damn old HPs), then I'd be printing it out and using it properly... but, nope. I'll wait.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Deogolf wrote:
Sorry, but I grew up with the blue maps and suit me fine!

And I didn't?
*chuckles* Not that I used modules much, actually. But there is no real purpose in putting them in non photo blue these days since pretty much any scanner or copier can get past that limitation.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Blue maps for the win. Keep 'em coming I say.

Hypercube still blows ~ Serleran don't like it either.

I was actually surprises when there weren't a ton of blue maps in the C&C modules. I guess we know why. PB iz a hater.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
Blue maps for the win. Keep 'em coming I say.

Hypercube still blows ~ Serleran don't like it either.

I was actually surprises when there weren't a ton of blue maps in the C&C modules. I guess we know why. PB iz a hater.

-O

*chuckles* No, its nothing to do with that. Colour costs more. And black and white is easier to read.

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

FINE! Keep your sensical explanations. YOU'VE DONE EARNED YOURSELF A NOOGIE PB!!!

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Thanks.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Black & white is fine too!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
FINE! Keep your sensical explanations. YOU'VE DONE EARNED YOURSELF A NOOGIE PB!!!

-O

Well, I just don't need the concept of 'hate' applied to my reasoning. I'm far too involved in the application of sloth to hate.

Peter Bradley

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

Thanks for the linky. I skimmed my copy and noticed that this level SOUNDS like where Erac (Ernie Gygax) died, but I didn't see any reference to that. I guess thats another sub-level somewhere.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Blue, Black...I don't know. I'm just glad someone's going through the trouble of doing this.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Keolander wrote:
Thanks for the linky. I skimmed my copy and noticed that this level SOUNDS like where Erac (Ernie Gygax) died, but I didn't see any reference to that. I guess thats another sub-level somewhere.

Having been on that level (with Gary as DM ) and having looked at the map, it looks way too big for that. I haven't had a chance to really look at the map and what the "Maze" contains, so I'll have to do that first before making any call. I do know that we didn't hit any big labryinth, but we did hit quite a few teleporters!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

My dislike with the mazes is that I think they are overdone. I've had very few groups over the years that would get enjoyment out of hours and hours of mapping a maze.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I haven't followed the link yet, but could somebody give me more background. Is this based old GG notes? Or, is it somebody's idea of what other levels should contain? Thanks for the help.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

tylermo wrote:
I haven't followed the link yet, but could somebody give me more background. Is this based old GG notes? Or, is it somebody's idea of what other levels should contain? Thanks for the help.

Its someone else's idea of what other levels should contain.

Peter Bradley

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Which form the base of the public details made available over the last 30+ years, through conversations with Gary (and Rob Kuntz and those who have played in the great Castle) and things which were published in magazines and so forth... in addition to tidbits from modules like Dungeonland!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

That's what I thought. Still yet, I might check it out. Thanks.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hey Pete! I think you already mentioned what happened to your maps, but my memory sucks. So, if you still have them, because I do believe it was mentioned ownership of unused work reverted back to artists, why not print them as the map of mystery in Crusader? Maybe suggest to use them as levels in some Mad Archmages lair?

Unfortunately my bad memory seems to recall you mentioning some kind of circular file and those maps.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Treebore wrote:
Hey Pete! I think you already mentioned what happened to your maps, but my memory sucks. So, if you still have them, because I do believe it was mentioned ownership of unused work reverted back to artists, why not print them as the map of mystery in Crusader? Maybe suggest to use them as levels in some Mad Archmages lair?

Unfortunately my bad memory seems to recall you mentioning some kind of circular file and those maps.

Your memory is pretty accurate actually. Sides, this was something I was doing for Gary, and it wouldn't be right to step on his work like that.

All that stuff is gone actually. I didn't see any sense in keeping it around.

Peter Bradley