A golden age revisited...

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
Omote
Battle Stag

A golden age revisited...

Post by Omote »

During Wilderlands d20, I always had a diffiuclt time finding players who were interested in playing in the Wilderlands.

With the release of the AGPs new line of Wilderlands stuff, I think the Golden Age of Judge's Guild stuff is not behind, but ahead. Yes, there are great supplements from the past that even today I think about using from time to time. But age is a concern. The old Wilderland books havn't aged so gracefully. They're fairly hard to come by, are organized poorly, and just don't look very good (don't judge a book, yeah, yeah I know).

But with C&C, the Wilderlands are alive as they have ever been! The perfect game mechanic, will fit well with a game that requires the perfect game mechanic. This is where I'll be, and my players will follow along, I'm sure.

I've already devoted a great deal of time into fleshing out my own C&C world, but with more wilderlands on the way, my world will have a new home, almost completely unaltered! Just as I've always wanted to do, I will plop my Rhuinlands continent to the far west of the known Wilderlands, and I'll have the cohesive campaign setting I've been looking forward to in C&C.

Yes, A golden age is revisted or begins anew, where ever your view stands. The best days of C&C, and the Wilderlands lie ahead and I'm really, really happy to be here when it happened.
..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

*sighs* And I have to wait for 2007 before I can experience this wonderful place I keep hearing so much about....

....and before anyone suggests it - HELL no, I'm not going to buy the non-C&C version of Wilderlands! =)

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There is hardly any 3E crunch in Necromancers Wilderlands boxed set. The Players Guide, yes. Plus they did a very "loyal" conversion from the original material. Your cheating yourself out of something real good by refusing to get it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Perhaps....but I know if I buy it, I'll want the C&C version when it comes out....and I won't be able to justify it financially.
Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

meepo

Post by meepo »

Not refusing - just exercising patience for the "REAL DEAL"!
Don't cave, Inkpot - I'm with ya, we'll pull through this!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I guess I need to re-read what James has posted, but from what I got/remember he isn't republishing the Wilderlands setting.\

He is publishing additional material to add detail, in his vision/tastes, to the setting that is already available.

Since I really liked what I saw him post over in the Necromancer forums I know I will like what he is going to do.

I'll go read the stuff again, to see where he says he is publishing a whole new interpretation of the setting. I'm pretty sure he specifically said he wasn't. He is just adding details. But my senility has been making a fool of me too frequently lately, so now I'll go see if I still remember how to read.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

sieg

Post by sieg »

Yeah, he's only adding details, but AIR you can use his C&C stuff without owning the Necro box set. At least, that's what I think was meant...

Now, if Necro got enough clamor to reissue the box set to C&C...That would rock! Yeah, I know...there's not much TETSNBN junk in it, but I still have a problem with 55 hp bears. So sue me!
On a side note, I've run homebrews, Greyhawk and Mistara. I currently run my homebrew (pimping= at dragonsfoot.org under the 1E downloads DF11: Guide to the Realms of Aedenne; ignore the House Rules in the back, I've scrapped or changed 90% of 'em)...but if I were to run another campaign it would be the Wilderlands.

When I started playing in 1978, my DM ran a modified City State for a while. Hell, we spent months just running into various Frontier Forts of Kelnor and looting 'em! etc.

Good times, Good times. Maybe I can start a new campaign with the Wilderlands when the new stuff comes out. Fingers crossed!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

"Plus, I will also be publishing, now and again, books that are meant to be used with the Wilderlands of High Fantasy... they will be C&C, not d20, but they otherwise will be fully compatible with the WoHF as developed by Necromancer Games... the first will be Ravaged Ruins of the Roglaras, which will provide more than 50 ruins and encounters for Campaign Map 5: City State of the Invincible Overlord... in fact, that might even be the first product out the gate, as it is more than half done... "

"The WoHA will include the 18 maps as originally included in the JG edition of WoHF. There will be places where names will change, and places where topographical elements are added or altered to some extent. The maps should, for example, show "heavy forest" versus "light forest," "forested hills," and so forth... and thus, will be more forested altogether. For the most part, though, 95%+, the geography remains the same."

Think think this says that buying Necro's boxed set is a good idea.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

What 55 HP bears? In C&C? Converted to C&C those bears only have about 24 HP, on average.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Nice to see this forum up. I'm very interested in the new Wilderlands stuff from JG coming our way! 8)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Why does it have to be a golden age? There are more precious metals. I'm hoping the future holds a uranium age for Wilderlands!

sieg

Post by sieg »

Treebore,

One of the initial encounters in the WHF box set (can't remember what page; shortly after Lord Diaglus and his Religion of ODD ), but there's an encounter with 3 bears; one at 45 ph, another at 55 ph, and I can't remember the third. They are listed (apparently) as average bears and IMO that's just too many hp for a bear. There are many fine people who disagree with me on that, and that's ok. But to me even with much of the TETSNBN crunch absent WHF still needs conversion.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yeah, it has been said a hundred times but the WILDERLANDS OF HIGH FANTASY BOX SET is the $#!+. There is little crunch, and the crunch that is there is so friggin easy to convert is borders on silly. That aside, James is not relaunching the world setting like the Necro box set did. There will be plenty to get into even if you don;t have the box set, but I think it will be an really valuable resource for the setting.

......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My Aug. 28th, 11:06 PM post up above is quoting James from the Necromancer boards. He intends to leave the material of his very compatible with the Necromancer/JG material. The differences are going to be in the details of the maps and society/geography/politicac/etc... info he is creating.

So he figures at least 95% compqatibility.

S?ieg,

I remember that "discussion". I think it was on DF. Yeah, 55 HP bears (with the HD to give them that many HP) is probably not a good idea in C&C. Except for maybe a "historic" variety.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That discussion was on DF, and probably releated legendary bears or some, such 3E nonsense.

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Actually, the "bear debate" happened at DF and right here at TLG

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I missed out on Judges Guild back in the day, never having been able to find their products anywhere.

I'm very grateful for finally getting the opportunity to explore this classic setting, and even more grateful that it will be specifically supported for C&C.

Dakhysron

Post by Dakhysron »

O.K. You guys have convinced me. I was holding off on this to play a homebrew campaign, but if this is as good as it sounds then how can I go wrong?

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Some wise guy once said, "The Golden Age is thirteen..." as in, thirteen years old. That's the Golden Age for each of us. That's why I always feel so strongly about the Wilderlands, for some part, because I was thirteen back in the heyday of Judges Guild and the Wilderlands.

Anyhoo, I would say that the classic days of JG were the "Golden Age," and the Necro books and boxed set qualify as the "Silver Age." I plan to continue the "Silver Age" with support for the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, and begin a "Modern Age" for the Wilderlands with the Wilderlands of High Adventure...

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

hell, I'll even be happy with a Bronze Age! (very S&S, you know! )

Seriously, it's great to see all the enthusiasm for JG emerging here and elsewhere. I haven't been this excited about a product line in a long while.

Geleg
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Dakhysron

Post by Dakhysron »

So, I got the boxed set the other day. So far, I like it very much. The random ruin tables are awesome! And it is chock full of great adventures. I not sure I like the 5-mile hexes though -- it makes things too close together. I think I'll use 15 or 24-mile hexes.

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Dakhysron wrote:
So, I got the boxed set the other day. So far, I like it very much. The random ruin tables are awesome! And it is chock full of great adventures. I not sure I like the 5-mile hexes though -- it makes things too close together. I think I'll use 15 or 24-mile hexes.

The hexes were originally supposed to be 15 miles across, but a mistake in the first published product listed them as being 5 miles, rather than 5 leagues (a league being 3 miles in this case), so all products thereafter went with the 5-mile hexes.

Wilderlands of High Adventure, my own version of the Wilderlands, will have 15-mile hexes.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Dakhysron

Post by Dakhysron »

jamesmishler wrote:
The hexes were originally supposed to be 15 miles across, but a mistake in the first published product listed them as being 5 miles, rather than 5 leagues (a league being 3 miles in this case), so all products thereafter went with the 5-mile hexes.

Wilderlands of High Adventure, my own version of the Wilderlands, will have 15-mile hexes.

15 miles it is then! This puts a whole lot more wilderness in the Wilderlands.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Golden Age can get here soon enough. I hate to discuss what I'm about to say here, now, but I must...

It has taken me a while to get my current group to play in the Wilderlands, I would say years. However, over the past few months I wore them down to the point where they're now starting to get excited about playing in the Wilderlands. Unfortunatly I had to bend to the overall groups wishes and play in the Wilderlands using the... the... *gasp* v3.5 rules. I know, I know I can play in the Wilderlands using just the core C&C books, but many of my players have this virus in them that requires the purchase of many books to pour over. Books that have alternate rules, new classes, items, monsters, equipment, etc, etc, etc. The only way I could get everybody to join in was to go back to the *stomach roils* badness.

Please James Mishler and AGP... lets get some new books out before completely vanish from existance from playing the badness... (yes I know your timetable... and I'm not complaining, trust me).

I just had to vent.

*gurgles*

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

sieg

Post by sieg »

....Rest, my son; for the weight of sin is great.

Now go, and sin no more!