A Meeting of Friends PbP (IC - Game Thread)

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

If I don't hear them its not wrong...If I don't hear them its not wrong...If I don't hear them its not wrong...If I don't hear them its not wrong...

Lars continues to guard his commrade's backs, pretending that that conversation is amicable. After all he is a dirty slaver.

Lars makes a quick scan of the room to look for any potential trouble.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

angelius

Post by angelius »

Although the barkeep is completely aware of the situation, he pretends to not notice. But he creeps slowly up to Cim and slides him the tab for 16 drinks... {cost: 32cp}

Errol, as the stranger replies to you his breath is almost acrid and you try to maintain eye contact but inside you really wish you could run away.

"Look I was just sent here to, you know...give a warning. I don't got nothing and I don't know nothing else. Come on, cut me a break will ya? Things are tough 'round here. You gotta take what job comes your way, right?", pleads the stranger.

Lars, as you shake you head in mild disappointment at your new comrades actions. You manage to keep your head cool enough to notice that there doesn't appear to be any suspicious looking persons in the tavern. Night has fallen quickly and most of the patrons have finished their drinks and taken their song and occasional dance outside.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

"Rocky mountain oysters first or toe-nail souffle?" Cim address the question to Errol.

-George Washington

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
"Rocky mountain oysters first or toe-nail souffle?" Cim address the question to Errol.

The gnome guffaws loudly while still maintaining his dagger at the man's privates. "Well Cim, shall we hear his warning and then decide if we'll kill the bastard here and now?", replies Errol.

Turning to the stranger and inching the dagger up a bit more, Errol says, "Enough now, tell us the warning message then!"

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

angelius

Post by angelius »

The stranger clearly intimidated replies,

"Look I was just paid a few gold crowns to try and dissaude you lot from lookin' into the matter further. I swear thats it! Your friend is gone, they got her...they knew she'd send for you lot. They followed the messengers...that's all I know. I met their messenger at the edge of Fellwood and I get my instructions...I'm just a footpad ya know...that's all I am!"

His voice is clearly shaking.

The patrons in the tavern are starting to observe this exchange a little better now. Maybe it's because they rather not get involved or maybe it's because they are satisfied by the round of ale, but they only stare at the threesome at the bar.

Noticing this, the barkeep slowly approaches Errol and Cim.

"Please, I don't know who you guys are but you're scaring some of my customers. I thank you for your generosity. But this is a peaceful place. You better take it outside. The militia might be on their way."

Confident that he has given enough information to help the party, so they do not turn on him. He backs off waiting for the party's reaction.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Cim looks at the footpad, digs in his coin pouch, and grabs two gold. One he flips to the bar tender without looking at him, the other he flips to the footpad. "Here's a tip. If I find you crossing us again, I will make it so it can never happen again. Comprende?"

Cim turns back to the bartender, putting his mask back on for everyone's benefit, patiently awaiting his change.

-George Washington

angelius

Post by angelius »

The stranger nods in understanding as he fumbles the coin and the coin tumbles to the ground with a clink. The bartender on the other hand breathes a sigh of relief has he plops, 6 silver coins and 8 copper pence in a tiny money pouch, that he puts on the bar.

If Errol and Cim allows the stranger to leave, he will straighten his clothes again and quickly leave with his head down in order to hide his face from the other patrons.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Errol continues to ignore the barkeep, letting Cim deal with him. He then steps back warily and allows the stranger room to pass.

eibon

Post by eibon »

After the messenger scurries from the bar Nib will turn to the others, securing his sword.

"You know, of course, that we need to follow him as discreetly as possible. This matter cannot rest so easily, not only for Neena's sake, but to try to usurp these slavers."

--Clark Ashton Smith

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

"Ack I agree with Nib, but I be clanging around in me armor, Errol you better tail him and return here when you find where he went."

Lars turns then moves to the barkeep and hands him a gold piece from his puch.

"Sorry about the trouble, my commrades just get a little hot around the collar when our friends are in trouble. Take the gold as an offical apology from the church of Tyr."

Whith this he leaves the bartender and returns to his commrades.

"I'll wait here and see if anymore scoundrels from this slave den show up, you all can follow that footpad, Ill be here waiting."

eibon

Post by eibon »

"While not as swift as a rogue, I had best try to tail this cur as well. Hopefully we can find the slaver's hideout and make a plan to thwart their enslaving endeavors."

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
"Ack I agree with Nib, but I be clanging around in me armor, Errol you better tail him and return here when you find where he went."

"Yes, good idea, Lars," says the gnome and grabs his backpack and shoulders it.
Quote:
"While not as swift as a rogue, I had best try to tail this cur as well. Hopefully we can find the slaver's hideout and make a plan to thwart their enslaving endeavors."

Turning to the fighter, Errol replies, "Glad to have your help, Gnybaro. Let's go!"

The diminutive rogue quickly heads for the door.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

"Good idea. I'm with you." Cim gortles.

-George Washington

angelius

Post by angelius »

Having scouted the area prior to resting at the Busty Barmaid (Labelled Tavern) you remember the town looking something like this,

As you exit the now almost empty tavern, the cold night air assaults your lungs. Although the air is fresh this far north of the continent, the pungent odour of the many drunk and smoking ex-patrons of the Busty Barmaid litter the streets. Some are conversing incoherently while others smoke their pipe.

The stranger quickly crosses the intersection south of the tavern and appears to be in a rush.

How do you wish to follow the stranger and what distance will you keep from him?

eibon

Post by eibon »

"There is a lot at stake here, my friends," Gnybaro says quite seriously," what do you think, she we try to take a shortcut through the graveyard to keep track of this thug? Should we split up just in case something one route proves wiser than another?"

--Clark Ashton Smith

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

"Lets together. The thief trails him far enough not to be noticed, and we trail the thief far enough not to lose him." Cim says.

-George Washington

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

angelius wrote:
How do you wish to follow the stranger and what distance will you keep from him?

The rogue will use his move silently and enhanced senses to follow the stranger as best he can. And taking Cim's suggestion, he will attempt to follow yet, allow the others to keep up.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Errol, you quickly cross the street hoping not to lose sight of the fast moving stranger. He takes the south road towards the farm house. He doesn't appear to have noticed you. Many of the other townsfolk that are out and about in the night are mostly too drunk or tired to care. People are slowly making their way towards the north east part of town where most of the humble homes are located.

The streets empty in what appears to be minutes.

Cim, Nib and Lars you stay a good distance from Errol but always keeping him in sight. As you weave your way in and out between the buildings in the southwest quadrant you finally spy Errol stopping across the street and the stranger entering a secluded circular building. It appears to be some kind of common housing for farm hands built from a tatched roof and quickly cemented bricks walls. The tombstones of the graveyard will provide a good hiding spot and is a great place for observing the stranger's actions.

Errol, as you creep up towards the circular building and look through a dusty window, you can see that many of the farm hands were awaken by the stranger but soon after stuff their heads under their pillows. They must be used to people stumbling in drunk after hours. The stranger is quickly jamming articles of belongings and clothing into what appears to be a travelling bag. Once he's done he's starts to make his way out!

What does the party do?

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Cim wait for Errols action.

-George Washington

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

If need be, Errol will quickly hide. Or if he has time before the stranger leaves, he will head over to the rest of the party and wait with them.

eibon

Post by eibon »

Gnybaro will also wait for Errol, while doing so he will also look around to see if there are any nearby shacks, lean-tos or any sort of shelter that looks abandoned and suitable for utilizing to keep an eye on this building.

--Clark Ashton Smith

angelius

Post by angelius »

Errol, seeing all that you need, you quickly dart across the dirt road towards the grave yard and hurl yourself over a tombstone just as the farmhand residence door creaks open.

Nib quickly puts his finger to his mouth, signalling the party to stay quiet. He peeks over a tombstone and sees,

the stranger quickly dorning a hooded cloak and shuffling his way back on to the dirt road heading south. He stops for a bit only to toss his sack over his back into a comfortable position and heads in the direction of Fellwood Forest. He stops for a bit appearing lost. He pulls out what appears to be a map or directions and adjusts his direction. Then continues onward.

Turning your eyes south and looking across the flat farmlands of corn and low lying grasslands you spy a row of trees a few miles away that mark the edge of Fellwood Forest. It would appear that after the stranger covers the corn fields by foot, it will be difficult but not impossible for a good rogue to follow him across the low grasslands as there is nothing to hide behind and the moon is strong tonight.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Errol looks around at the others and says, "Well, shall we continue? Neena's note mentioned the slavers lair is in the Fellwood and it looks like the stranger is heading that way!"

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Moving, Cim looks at Errols and the rest and torts "What, your not moving?"

-George Washington

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Lars adjusts his armor and weapon. And cracks his neck.

"Lets go laddies, we've got business to do."

angelius

Post by angelius »

In the time that the party uses to discuss their next action, the stranger has travelled about 20 feet and just enters the cornfield south of the farm hand residence. The corn rows part as he enters the field and the dry leaves of the corn cobs crackle has he continues on his way.

The corn field is only about 4 feet high. This years crops has not been very successful and the dry spell of the last few weeks has certainly not helped. In combination with their slaver troubles, it is no wonder the people of Drue are down on their spirits.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Seeing that the others are in agreement with pursuing the stranger, the gnome rogue sets off after him at a quick pace. Errol sees the man enter the corn field and follows.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Errol continues to follow the stranger with his companions not far behind!

As the stranger breaks through the edge of the cornfield and enters the grassfield, he looks around as if scanning for some sign of presence. Satisfied he continues forward at a quicker pace.

Errol, you continue your stalking well into the grassfield for a minute or so as quietly as you can. Your companions are just at the edge of the cornfield and you are about a 300ft ahead of them very low to the ground.

Suddenly, the stranger stops! It looks like he dropped his map on the ground. Taken by suprise mid-step you try to pause but as you do so you step backwards on a dry twig you had noticed before but had forgotten about in your efforts to not be noticed...and it snaps!

The stranger quickly turns around and spots you in the bright moon light!

"Sooo...we meet again, friend. Where are your friends gnome? Did they get tired of your smell and leave? You still owe me for that slight back at the tavern. No one will see me get my just desserts but it will fill me nonetheless!"

With that he draws his longsword!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

angelius wrote:
"Sooo...we meet again, friend. Where are your friends gnome? Did they get tired of your smell and leave? You still owe me for that slight back at the tavern. No one will see me get my just desserts but it will fill me nonetheless!"

With that he draws his longsword!

"Friends . . . bah, they were just a bunch of fools that I've since abandoned. Don't need 'em and it's time for you to see how a broadsword flies!", replies the gnome.

Errol already has the sword out and swings it through the air in a great arc to show the stranger that he is ready for battle.

[Errol is hoping to convince the stranger that he is alone]

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

A battle cry is heard:

"BY TYR'S SWORD!"

And the metal clad Lars, spittle flying, sword shinning charges the man with full intention to cut him down in one stroke.