what I'd like to see in PHBk 4th printing....

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

I've said it before and I'll say it again... ... ... I think the Illusionist class should have Stealth and some sort of Sneaky Casting ability. Maybe even a D6 HD. These things are easily house ruled I know.

I only say this because the main ability of the Wizard and the Illusionist is magic and they are not balanced against each other at all (160 spells vs. 102 spells). I know that more Illusion spells are being added (are these only for the Illusionist?) but I think such a heavy focus in a single style of magic deserves some other perks. They can't cast more spells per day than a wizard and they have the same Xp requirements...

Just my 2 cents.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I thought the XP requirements changed once they got to about 8th level or so.

*runs to get the PHB*

Okay, it's not until 12th level, but the it is pretty signicifant. So there is some divergence of XP, but not until the late game. Maybe the divergence should come at an earlier point, because I'd be inclined to think the wizard starts outpacing the illusionist before 12th...I;d say probably 8th, IMHO.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Lord Dynel wrote:
I thought the XP requirements changed once they got to about 8th level or so.

*runs to get the PHB*

Okay, it's not until 12th level, but the it is pretty signicifant. So there is some divergence of XP, but not until the late game. Maybe the divergence should come at an earlier point, because I'd be inclined to think the wizard starts outpacing the illusionist before 12th...I;d say probably 8th, IMHO.

Don't forget the Sharp Senses and Disguise abilities an illusionist gets. I also think the illusionist gains certain spells before a Wizard does (and vice-versa depending on the nature of the spell). I haven't done an in depth survey on this though.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

No, I haven't either, mort. I would assume that these things - Disguise and Sharpe Senses - is part of what keeps the illusionist and the wizard neck-and-neck for so long. But, yeah, without extensive research it would be hard to discern the "whys and wherefores" of such reasoning.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Its probably because I played an Illusionist to 18th level and DMed a couple more to 12th and 14th level, but I consider the Illusionist to be just as powerful as the mage.

Illusionists are often crippled against monsters, however if you want to play a PC that can manipulate a WHOLE populace to follow them and make them their leader the Illusionist is rather awesome.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

MacLeod wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again... ... ... I think the Illusionist class should have Stealth and some sort of Sneaky Casting ability. Maybe even a D6 HD. These things are easily house ruled I know.

I only say this because the main ability of the Wizard and the Illusionist is magic and they are not balanced against each other at all (160 spells vs. 102 spells). I know that more Illusion spells are being added (are these only for the Illusionist?) but I think such a heavy focus in a single style of magic deserves some other perks. They can't cast more spells per day than a wizard and they have the same Xp requirements...

Just my 2 cents.

For me it's a matter of the right class for the right campaign.

Wizard vs. Illusionist boils down to style difference for that particular campaign. If you are going to be doing a lot of dungeon crawling, etc. I'd pick a wizard. If we were doing a urban based campaign, with some intrigue and what have you, I'd go Illusionist.

That fireball flinging wizard is just going to get you thrown in the stockade in the urban campaign.

MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

Makes sense. But I think that the Illusionist could be made into a class to compete with the wizard in battle as well... as long as certain steps were taken.

I never really thought about what you could do with Illusion magic until I played a game with Mesmers. Then again, I guess it depends on the the game's fluff regarding what Illusion magic actually does.

Still, I don't think Stealth and an Invisible/Sneaky Casting ability would make the Illusionist overpowered. Still can't fight too good but at least he can sneak and make his illusions more believable.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

In many ways, the illusionist is more powerful than the wizard. Belief moves mountains. Fact just causes arguments.

MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

Unless that fact is a 10d6 fireball. That is the sort of thing that melts folks.

Hm... am I seeing this right, C&C Fireballs don't have a damage limiter?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

MacLeod wrote:
Unless that fact is a 10d6 fireball. That is the sort of thing that melts folks.

Hm... am I seeing this right, C&C Fireballs don't have a damage limiter?

Thats right, no damage limiter.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Our fireballs burn mo' hotta.

MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

Shoot, son.
I haven't really looked over the spells yet... do any of them have damage limiters...?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

No. Well, harm. It can only do up to X - d4.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Since Steve's (blog) talkin May 31st to printers....ordering option now?

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I wonder if Mr. Bradley has any info to divulge regarding the status of the PHB4. Since, I guess we are all assuming he is the layout master on this project, he might know the best.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Yeah, this is definitely one I want to place on pre-order when they open them up.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Me too, DD. I'm so pissed at my FLGS right now - apparently they're still a month off from getting M&T and the Black Libram in. WTF is up with that? Another month? So, as much as I love my FLGS, I'm going to order this puppy direct.

Geesh...I should just open my own store...

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Me too, DD. I'm so pissed at my FLGS right now - apparently they're still a month off from getting M&T and the Black Libram in. WTF is up with that? Another month? So, as much as I love my FLGS, I'm going to order this puppy direct.

Geesh...I should just open my own store...

A shame you missed it, but NKG had a sale that ended a few days ago and you could have gotten a new copy of the 3rd print M&T for something like $16. The Black Libram was only $8.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

That's a good deal.

I don't mind supporting my FLGS - I just wish they'd get the stuff in a timely manner. If it's WotC they get in by the end of the week, but TLG is held up. I think it's a distributor thing, myself, so I shouldn't be too pissed at the FLGS, I suppose.