Lake Geneva Con Canceled

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Lake Geneva Con Canceled

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey Folks,

I know you all have been looking for information on this convention, and I apologize for sitting on it so long. I've wrestled with this decision for some time. LGGC is a very special event for us here at TLG as it afforded us a time to visit Gary and his family and play games, coupled of course with a good show and lots of fun.

But as the title says, we are closing it down, at least for the foreseeable future.

We started LGGC at Gary's request (Winter Dark too for that matter) and the show became a symbol of the resilience of the community up there and its devotion to him. It was more than that however. Within two shows the event was successful proving that Gary and his work still captivated audiences. Many people think of LGGC as a bastion of Old School Gaming, but in my humble opinion this was not the case. It was something of a Renaissance in gaming, a sign of things to come and of things Gary still had to offer. This Renaissance was reinforced at GenCon 2007, just a few months before Gary passed away. The TLG booth was inundated with people wanting to meet Gary and get his signature, fully 50% of the booth was dedicated to new material that he wrote or had overseen. It was the fruition of many years of hard work. LGGC was one of many steps that led to this Renaissance.

But with Gary's passing and the advent of Gary Con LGGC seems, in my mind, to run the danger of being a distraction. So we Trolls are going to turn our attention to Troll Con and build that convention as we did LGGC, as least for the foreseeable future.

I've informed and thanked the many guests and people who have supported us and the convention over the years and received this kind note from Gail Gygax. She wanted me to post it for you to read.

Today Steve Chenault informed me that LGGC would be no more. While saddened to hear the news, I also remembered all the wonderful years Troll Lord Games brought joy to Gary here in Lake Geneva. He looked forward to each and every convention. We all enjoyed dinners and parties on our porch and he especially enjoyed the lively conversation and gaming with everyone. The convention was truly for Gary and he recognized and appreciated that. So I thank everyone at TLG for those magical years.

Gail Gygax

Lake Geneva, Wi

March 18, 2009

I would like to thank Gail for those very kind words and to pass that thanks on to Gary as well. And further to thank them for their kind hospitality. They both welcomed the bunch of us Trolls into their home with open arms, even when we were a bit rowdy and loud as we can be at times. I will always think of the gatherings on the porch very fondly and remember those days and years as a magical time, as it seems is only proper.

Thank you all and I offer my apologies for the inconvenience this may offer to anyone who had already made plans to attend the show. I hope to see you at Gary Con.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

It was too far away for me to attend, what with my current con schedule. That said, I heard many stories from people who gamed with Gary(not even TLG staff), and envied them. Probably a good move for you guys. Can't have too many irons in the fire, I suppose. And, whether I'm able to attend or not, I wish you all of the luck in the world for TrollCon.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Sad news, indeed. I am glad to have been at one of them, to have met Gary, sat at his table and played the game he loved so much. Memories like that are beyond measure, so, thanks to you Steve, Davis, Gary, Gail, and everyone who put it together. At least we had it for as long as we did.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That sucks. I was planning my vacation around LGGC.
R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rigon wrote:
That sucks. I was planning my vacation around LGGC.
R-

I'm sorry it didn't work on Rigon. Truthfully.

But come to Troll Con! It'll be a blast!!
Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'll have to look into it. My wife and I were planning on driving over to LGGC (it's about a 10 drive). I need to figure out the logistics and timeframe, before I can say anything to her.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

mordrin

Post by mordrin »

Bummer. I was just about to start trying to collect events for this year's schedule.
Well, I only got to see two LGGCs, but I enjoyed it and learned about GaryCon via here, too, so thanks for that.
Does the Milwaukee Summer Revel still exist, or has that gone extinct, too?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Mordrin, I don't think there's been an official word about Gary Con 2, but it seems like the 1st one did well. Could be hope for next year, I suppose.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Your reasoning was pretty sound, Steve. Tis always a tragedy to lose a gaming con, but sometimes that's just how it is.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Sad, glad and thankful!

Gary Gygax and D&D led me to the Trolls and C&C (having purchased the BD&D box set in 1978 and was looking to return to gaming in 2004).

I taught my daughter, nephew and friend C&C. Soon many other family members joined our game.

The Trolls then led me to back to Gary Gygax, Castle Zagyg and the LGGC!

So, I must thank Steve and Davis for all their efforts in so many ways.

Creating.

Publishing.

Printing.

Meeting and working with Gary.

Organizing the LGGC.

Being excellent gamers (who just happen to be bidness fellows too).

My dreams have been realized - and for that I must thank TLG again.

[Oh, and that BD&D box . . . the rulebook is signed by Gary, Tom Wham, Rob Kuntz, Ernie Gygax, Tim Kask and James Ward.

The module B1 In Search of the Unknown is signed by Mike Carr.]

My "precious" box is now very dear to me and I will give it to my daughter someday.

But, more importantly - I got a chance to meet some great ex TSR folks and a whole bunch of fantastic people from this forum.

It's always about the people. So I thank each and everyone of youse.

I'm a very lucky man.

Thank you Steve, Davis, Mark & Peter (and all those behind the scenes down in Little Rock).

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

tylermo wrote:
Mordrin, I don't think there's been an official word about Gary Con 2, but it seems like the 1st one did well. Could be hope for next year, I suppose.

Talking with Luke and Kerry at the Con and afterwards, it looks like a really good bet that there will be a GaryCon II.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Well, crap.

One of the few things that kept my spirits up about missing GaryCon was the hope that, if things got better, I'd be able to make it to LGGC.

Sigh... now I can only hope things get better enough to make it to Gen Con...

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

Bummer 2

But it is good news that Garycon might be repeated next year. Too bad TLG guys weren't there this year.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Damn I hate transitions. However I think you guys are doing the right thing by focusing more on Troll Con in light of the loss of LGGC. But, here is to hoping that maybe we'll see the LGGC return maybe in some sort of conjunction with GaryCon.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

STeve is TEH EVILS!!!1!11!!11!!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Greg Ellis

Post by Greg Ellis »

Rats!

LGGC was an annual highlight for me. I made a lot of great friends and a lot of great memories there.

I'm very sad to see this fade away.

You Trolls deserve a "well done" for your efforts on this con in the past.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

On the bright side, attending a convention in the American Legion Hall in the summer without air conditioning was a somewhat dreaded proposition. Also, I'll be very surprised if Gary Con is not repeated. The inaugural event was very well-attended. Still, going to the LGGC a couple years ago was what brought me back into gaming and I'm going to miss it. Troll Con is too far away for me. I vote for the Trolls to move to Lake Geneva.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

The Keeper

Post by The Keeper »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Troll Con is too far away for me. I vote for the Trolls to move to Lake Geneva.
I second that vote!

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

Naw... the Trolls need to move to Ohio. Great climate, good fishing and hunting, no banjo music, no Breakdaddy yelling "Squeel like a pig!" all the time...

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Castles & Crusades...more D&D than D&D.

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Deogolf wrote:
Talking with Luke and Kerry at the Con and afterwards, it looks like a really good bet that there will be a GaryCon II.

How about GaryCon moving to a summer month? This makes it a great trip for non-gaming spouses, as well, like LGGC was...

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Fat Dragon Games wrote:
Naw... the Trolls need to move to Ohio. Great climate, good fishing and hunting, no banjo music, no Breakdaddy yelling "Squeel like a pig!" all the time...

I've got some interesting news for you, son:
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

Breakdaddy wrote:
I've got some interesting news for you, son:

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Castles & Crusades...more D&D than D&D.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Joe Mac wrote:
How about GaryCon moving to a summer month? This makes it a great trip for non-gaming spouses, as well, like LGGC was...

Summer is always better than winter.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rigon wrote:
Summer is always better than winter.

R-

Yes . . . and no.

Summer hotel rates are TWICE the price in LG and gas prices are almost always higher in summer.

Now, March in Ill and lower WI is usually OK weather wise.

Heck, on Friday before the CON, I was sunning myself on the Lake - twas about 68 or so (not in the wind).

Anyway, Gary CON is about gaming in memory of Gary who passed away on March 4th, so it will probably always be in March.

[But yeah, Joe is right about the family/spouse angle - summer is fun in LG - and the Cove is a fab hotel right in the middle of things to do for non-gamers]

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

We have our hearts and minds set on making Gary Con 2 happen. We are already brainstorming ideas for ways to make the con even better and, yes, as Rhuv noted we want to keep it in March.

So start saving those vacation days.

Check out the Adventurer Card Game, along with 2 new expansions

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Rhuvein wrote:
Heck, on Friday before the CON, I was sunning myself on the Lake - twas about 68 or so (not in the wind).

Anyway, Gary CON is about gaming in memory of Gary who passed away on March 4th, so it will probably always be in March.

[But yeah, Joe is right about the family/spouse angle - summer is fun in LG - and the Cove is a fab hotel right in the middle of things to do for non-gamers]

I do understand the significance of it being in March -- and I hope Gary Con continues every year, indefinitely, until all who play games with dice, pencils, and paper perish from the earth!

That being said...for those of us who fly in from distant parts, being able to make a family vacation out of the deal is very handy. My wife loves Lake Geneva in June! She's less likely to sign on for Lake Geneva in March...which makes it less likely that I'll be there, too. I'd still make Gary Con as often as I could, but that'd be more often if it were in the summer.

I think the lodging cost is less of an issue when you're flying in, comparatively. Saving half the room price is relatively small potatoes, compared with airfare for two..
We had been hopeful about making LGGC this year, but it hinged on getting our old house sold (we're paying two mortgages at the moment, which sucks ass). I'll look toward next year's Gary Con.

The Keeper

Post by The Keeper »

KRBourgoine wrote:
We have our hearts and minds set on making Gary Con 2 happen. We are already brainstorming ideas for ways to make the con even better and, yes, as Rhuv noted we want to keep it in March.

So start saving those vacation days.
GARYCON II.....YES!!

Larger Hall!!.....YES!!

3 Days!!.....YES!!

More Events!!.....YES!!

Another Auction!!.....YES!!

More food by The Keeper!!.....YES!!
There's my thoughts & votes.

Valerian

Post by Valerian »

Me and my wife are saddened to hear the news as well. I have been to the last three LGGC's and made alot of great friends . I will try to attend GC in the future . I would not have been able to make this years Con anyhow with the wife wonderfully pregnant. My has just gave me the thumbs for next Gary Con , which is a biggy as she hates the cold. I will have to treat her to the Cove and their heated pool. I can also show off the little troll next year .

To crush the PC's

See their character sheets piled before you

And to hear the lamentations of the players

-Conan the dungeonmaster

Melf
Ungern

Post by Melf »

Kerry beat me to the punch- but there will be a Gary Con II. Someone mentioned combining Troll Lords with Gary Con- well TLG is always welcome. And Steve was helping me plan Gary Con already. So I will be surprised if he is not there for Gary Con II.

Gary Con sprang forth from the memorial after my Dad's funeral in March 2008. Also Rhu brought up valid logistical concerns. Space is costly in the summer. So changing the month is not something I am considering right now. I may reconsider in the future. Right now I want to focus on making Gary Con II as much fun as the first one- only bigger!

The Keeper

Post by The Keeper »

Melf wrote:
Kerry beat me to the punch- but there will be a Gary Con II. Someone mentioned combining Troll Lords with Gary Con- well TLG is always welcome. And Steve was helping me plan Gary Con already. So I will be surprised if he is not there for Gary Con II.

Gary Con sprang forth from the memorial after my Dad's funeral in March 2008. Also Rhu brought up valid logistical concerns. Space is costly in the summer. So changing the month is not something I am considering right now. I may reconsider in the future. Right now I want to focus on making Gary Con II as much fun as the first one- only bigger!

YES!!!!!!! (The Keeper sits back, smiles , & starts planning WAY too many gaming events.)