A Meeting of Friends PbP (OOC)

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
eibon

Post by eibon »

I am going over my EV points right now, be back shortly with the total.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

angelius wrote:
I'm going with 1st printing EV since I don't have the 2nd print. It's just to make sure that the EV penalities are imposed and what not. Although, all it takes is just dropping your sack in a battle :p

Yikes! No you really don't want to do that now do you?
Seriously, the 1st print EV rules are whacked, nobody uses them. In most every poll I've seen or conducted, people either heavily modify them or ignore them completely and use common sense.

[Heh, you need to get a copy of the 2nd print PH at BAMM! ]

But hey, if you insist, then I'll use them, as I don't think my character will suffer as bad as fighters and such.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I am heading to my weekly game night right now. I will do the maintence stuff when I get back.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

angelius

Post by angelius »

Rhu: Can you post the jist of the 2nd PHB EV rules? Usually we don't worry too much about EV, just weapons and armour but I use EV just to get a general "feel" of it.

I do agree that the EV rules in the 1st ed is pretty .. .erm for the lack of better word.. "mean".

I just dont have anything else to go with right now.
CK: Cool when you flesh out your PC we can start! weeee.....

I'm pretty keen to start soon So let's just flesh out the PCs and worry about the EV later methinks. Because I am in agreeance with the whacky EV rules. Although it does help somewhat to know encumbrance.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

angelius wrote:
Rhu: Can you post the jist of the 2nd PHB EV rules? Usually we don't worry too much about EV, just weapons and armour but I use EV just to get a general "feel" of it.

Ah, well . . ah, (hems and haws) uh - I'm probably not the best person to try and summarize them as I say, I don't use EV rules at all. But since I opened my big mouth, I could have a go at it. And of course, I've got to try and learn them anyway.
I don't recall if the rules changed or just the modifiers or both. I guess I'll find out.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Well maybe we'll just use the EVs from 1st print just to keep track and when it becomes ridiculous, like say carrying 10,000 coins or something we'll worry about it

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

angelius wrote:
Well maybe we'll just use the EVs from 1st print just to keep track and when it becomes ridiculous, like say carrying 10,000 coins or something we'll worry about it

OK, sounds good. I'm still going to try and see what changes have been made. Some of the charts look the same. There seems to be more dialog written in the 2nd print, so I'll check it out.

Hehe, and oddly I almost never look at the 2nd print book since I'm so in the habit of checking my 1st print and know exactly where everything is. And I've pretty much memorized the errata.

angelius

Post by angelius »

I just want to add you guys are spoilt! :p (j/k)

Although I use 1st print EV stuff, I am a little more lax on it...just don't tell my players that I'm super hard on them or I might have mutiny on my hands!
3d6 stats, then EV...lol

In retrospec I'm pretty hard on them I think. But they've really become great players in terms of teamwork and strategy. I guess they HAVE to, in order to survive.

On top of that I give monsters a + 1/2*HD damage bonus on top of their normal damage...since I find that monsters deal too little damage.

I'm a meanie! But I'm fun! So it evens out!

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

This quote is directly from the author of the ENC rules in both printings. On a personal note I prefer 2nd printing, the 1st are very punative and a fighter with 18 Str is encumberd with armor and two weapons. The second printing is much better adding bonuses for both high Str scores and Str and Con primes. But choose what you want:
Quote:
The changes from 1st to 2nd printing for ENC are as follows:

All clothes/armor are marked as wearable (and thus have -1 to EV when worn)

STR or CON primes add +2 each to the Encumbrance Rating for the character. These bonuses stack.

Encumbrance Rating Base raised to 10 from 8.

Under AD HOC ENC, Heavy items now have a +3 modifier to the EV and Very Heavy Items have +5. Narrow items halve the EV rather than -2.

Under AD HOC ENC, the base EV for an item is the largest dimension plus 2 for all other dimension greater than 1 foot (was previously +2 for every dimension greater than 2 feet).

Capacity Items reduce the total EV of the items carried within them by -2 rather than -1.

Drop AC penalties for Encumbrance. ENC Penalties are as follows:

Light = Move reduced by 1/4, +1 cChallenge Level to Dexterity Checks

Moderate = Move reduced by 1/2, +2 Challenge Level to Dexterity Checks

Heavy = Move reduced to 3/4, +4 to Challenge Level for Dexterity Checks, Lose Dexterity Bonus to AC

Overburdened = Move reduced to 1 ft/rnd. Automatically fail all Dexterity based checks, Lose Dex bonus to AC

I think that's everything that was done, comparing my two documents. Some of the EVs were tweaked on the table as well, if memory serves (the backpack was reduced to a 2(w) with a Capacity of 8, is the biggest one that leaps out at me).

I'd do a better comparison of the EVs, but I only have my numbers (the ones that appeared in the 2nd printing)... the Troll Lords ended up using an outdated (or modified by them, not sure which) list for the 1st printing. If need be, I can put out a copy of my list for others... Maybe I'll see if Stephen is willing to put together a ENC section PDF for those w/ the 1st printing... at least if people really think it's that necessary...

angelius

Post by angelius »

Cool that sounds good so far, I'll have to work it out a little more. But right now let's just get started.
Once CK is done with his PC we can go! Onward to adventure!

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I working on it. Jeesh, my Rogue got his ass kicked by the undead hands in Halfling Hall tonight, give me a break. BTW its a great module so far, kudos to the author.

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound upset just some good natured banter.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

DONE!

Name: Lars Bloodsheath

Race: Dwarf

Class: Cleric

Ht: 4'1" Wt. 165lbs

Alignment: LG

Deity: Tyr (god of war and law, the Norse version, not FR)

Level: 1

HP: 10

AC: 16 [Coat of Plates (+5) + Med Shield(+1)]

Attributes:

Str: 16 +2 *

Dex: 9

Con: 16 +2

Wis: 13 +1 *

Int: 9

Cha: 7 -1

*Denotes Prime

Appearence and personality: Lars has long, coal-black hair and beard, dark bown eyes and ruddy skin. He is strictly observant of order and honor and despises those who betray and those who cheat more than any other person. He is quick to prove his worth in battle as homage to Tyr and will rarely back away from a fight, usually only to protect his commrades. He is very strict and to his rituals and is very and is critical of others when they stray from the path of righteousness. He does this not with his charm (he has none) but rather with the business end of his sword (deity weapon). He has been know to say "A punch on the chin, keeps ye away from sin!" Though he is a stickler for the rules he is fair and kind hearted.

Background: Lars is the youngest son of a great Dwarven warchief, and has been taught the ways of battle from an early age. His mother sought to make Lars a well rounded boy and sent him to the temple of Tyr to train is the priesthood. Lars found a strong connection to the teachings and decided he would become one of the Traveling Brothers of Tyr; warrior priests who travel the land enforcing law and justice.

Equipment and Money:

Money: 5gp, 6sp, 5cp

Armor: Coat of Plates (100 gp, +5 AC, 45lbs 3EV when worn), Pot helm, Medium Steel Shield. (Total EV: 6.5)

Weapons: Broadsword (deity weapon), Dagger, Club (6EV)

Clothing: Boots Heavy, Belt, Tunic. (Total EV: 1)

Misc Equipment: Wooden Holy Symbol, Backpack: contains: Armor and Weapons Oil, Bandages X10, Flint and Steel, Tinder Box. (Total EV: 2)

Animals: Mule (name: Bethlesdorp), Bit and Harness, 2 Saddlebages, 7 Days Feed, 7 Days Rations, Waterskin and Bedroll Kept on animal.

Total EV: 15.5

Character EV Rating: 14

EV: Lightly Encumbered = Move reduced to 15ft, +1 CL to Dex checks.

Class Abilites: Turn Undead, Spells: 3 O lvl, 2 1st (+1 bonus spell for wis score). Spells Memorized: 0 lvl= Detect Magic, First Aid x2. 1st Lvl= Bless, Cure Light Wounds

Racial Abilities: Animosity Elves (-2 to Cha when intereacting with elves), Deepvision 120ft, Dtermine Dpeth and Direction, Enmity Orcs/GOblins (+1 to hit, -4 Cha checks when interacting),

Defenive Expertise Gitants/Ogres (+4 AC when fighting), +3 Saves vs Arcane Magic, +2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Stonecraft (Wis).

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Gnome, Goblinoid, Halfling, Elven, Ogrish, Giant, Troll.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Okay the first post on the game thread will be up in 15 mins.

PM's are being sent as we speak. (Just a little "motivation" or rail roading to give some direction, depends how you look at it, hehehe....)

I hope you guys will enjoy the game! Cheers!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

OK, got my PM and I'm ready to game. Yayyy, here we go . . .

Kyle, thanks for the Enc. post comparision, that'll help me a lot.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Yup post whenever you want. I'd like to keep it moving so when everyone has posted at least one post, we can move. If a person posts an action that is of an independant nature, then I'll post a reply to that individually.

In either case, I'll be directing each of my post to an individual or the whole party.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Just waiting on CK and Peel to post and then we can further on the plot.

Those that are in the "Inn" already, feel free to explore the Inn a little till the other two post.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Ok!

-George Washington

angelius

Post by angelius »

Hi guys,

I was thinking, since I'm new at this PbP thing. I was wondering how we should run battle. I think we should do all the crunchy stuff in here, the OOC thread in order to keep the IC thread clean.

I think that since we're all active posters, we can do combat relatively normal.

Would you guys agree to say

1. Describe what you're going to do in the IC thread

2. We crunch it here

3. Then I describes what happens in the IC thread.

I say lets try this for combat (if it occurs) for the first time and then we can all discuss on how we can make it more efficient in the future.

We're going to have to fight sometime...

ps. I really like how its going so far!

angelius

Post by angelius »

Okay resolving this action

{Cim tries to forcibly turn the wretch around to face Errol. He wants to do this in such a way that it can only be perceived by the wretch, hoping to elicit the wretch turning around and pushing him down in front of the bar. If he gets the reaction, he falls dramatically and with more noise and action than is really necessary, mostly so everyone knows that the ugly man who just bought the bar a round got pushed down for no good reason! Hopefully this gives Errol a window to 'help' his friend where the other patrons will not take offense to this defence of the round buyer!! If it workd, maybe it gives Errol a surprise round?}

As it stands, I'm calling for an opposed STR check to force the stranger around.

Errol's action here is important, if he chooses to help in which case will not give him a suprise action OR he can do something else OR can do nothing (Hoping to get a jump on the stranger if Cim is successful....

So waiting on Rhu

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I knw its your game but in the SIEGE mechanic, there are no opposed roles to my knowledge. Just have Cim make a Str Check CL=thugs HD (add +2 to the CL if the baddies has a Str prime if you want). I hate opposed rioles and I think just having one SEIGE attribute check woud help resolve things faster. (Not trying to sound angry or accusative, just being a back seat CK, sorry)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

angelius wrote:
Okay resolving this action

{Cim tries to forcibly turn the wretch around to face Errol. He wants to do this in such a way that it can only be perceived by the wretch, hoping to elicit the wretch turning around and pushing him down in front of the bar. If he gets the reaction, he falls dramatically and with more noise and action than is really necessary, mostly so everyone knows that the ugly man who just bought the bar a round got pushed down for no good reason! Hopefully this gives Errol a window to 'help' his friend where the other patrons will not take offense to this defence of the round buyer!! If it workd, maybe it gives Errol a surprise round?}

As it stands, I'm calling for an opposed STR check to force the stranger around.

Errol's action here is important, if he chooses to help in which case will not give him a suprise action OR he can do something else OR can do nothing (Hoping to get a jump on the stranger if Cim is successful....

So waiting on Rhu

Oops, I actually posted my action before seeing this, but I think it's what you suggested, so hopefully it's OK.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmm, also it could be argued that Cim's move is a grapple attempt. But while engaged, even if unsuccessful, Errol might get the next move and so have the dagger at his privates.

Thoughts?

angelius

Post by angelius »

Sorry when I said opposed strength, I meant grapple in the sense that Cim needs to roll a d20+ str mod vs the strangers 15 + size mod (In this case its +0) - In this case Cim is specific as to what he wants the stranger to do. So to me its a grapple attempt.)

By taking the stranger by suprise, it would have worked normally without a roll imho, but Cim has a str of "only" 7, which means failure is possible since the stranger has at least avg str. (9-12)

At least thats my thoughts on the situation.

angelius

Post by angelius »

Errol can do that right now, the dagger thing...without Cim being successful as far as I CK it.

Or Errol can help Cim giving him a +2 to grapple.

I'm going to run it as Errol, threatens the stranger... since you can do that regardless of Cim's success.

If Cim is successful too, I think you guys will be quite persuading...

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I got an unmodified 15

-George Washington

angelius

Post by angelius »

Needing only a 15 anyways you do grapple the stranger, and he is considered prone etc.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Ok, I have STR -1 so it is 14, had to look that up.

-George Washington

angelius

Post by angelius »

Oops, I already posted. Oh well... let's say that Errol "helped" you out there giving you a +2 = 15 -1 +2 = 16 which is enough to grapple the stranger.

It is what Errol is eluding to anyways.

(I know we have some kinks to work out, but hey its old school right? Having a great story is paramount!"

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Like I said didn't mean to sound angry or anything (I'm not) but I saw opposed roll and thought (ack too much rolling, just like 3.X). But you handled that like the master CK you are. I tend to do these things every now and again (I CK too much).

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Roll Wis check to scan room for potential trouble:

(roll 14 +1 Wis mod = 15, prime attribute)