I know I'm behind the times...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

I know I'm behind the times...

Post by Lord Dynel »

...and that's probably because I play too much City of Heroes or watch too many DVDs with my wife, but I just picked up The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Oh my.
So much to do. So much to see. I don't even know where to start. My assassin did wander into town and am exploring there, and will probably venture over to some ruins I think I saw when I surfaces from my prison break. This game is truly magnificient. And, yes, I'm just realizing it.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: I know I'm behind the times...

Post by gideon_thorne »

*rubs side of nose* Well, one of these days, those of us who really don't spend much time outside of a video arcade center, at a mini golf course, playing video games, might actually catch up to you.

Course, the technology might actually be up to Holodecks by then.

Says the guy who never even owned an Atari.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Oblivion = Time wasting awesomeness. I did not get too far in this game, but I mined this game for paper-n-pencil RPG ideas no less then a dozen times.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Behind the times, my ass.. You picked up what?

No hablo video games, amigo. Haven't played them since the Atari 2600.

I might be the pencil-&-paperest bastard around here.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Joe Mac wrote:
I might be the pencil-&-paperest bastard around here.

*chuckles* Doubt it, see my last post.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Well, I'm not "cutting edge," by any stretch of the imagination. I do like my toys, though, I must admit. I got an Xbox 360 last Christmas, and I restrict myself to sports and rpgs, with a few action/sdventure games thrown in (Like GTA or Splinter Cell).

But so far Oblivion has blown me away with its sheer magnitude. It's not even close to a replacement for a good table-top RPG, but when there's no game going on it a nice diversion.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

gideon_thorne wrote:

Join me on the porch? We can growl at the neighbor kids while we draw some maps.

I'll bring the bourbon.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Joe Mac wrote:
Join me on the porch? We can growl at the neighbor kids while we draw some maps.

I'll bring the bourbon.

My dad and I were just joking about this very topic. I've had people ask me before "What did you do if you didn't have an Atari!"

30 years a reenactor traveling all over the country, and reading books. The looks of incomprehension on some folks faces would make an excellent cultural anthropology study.

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Speaking of Time Wasting goodness coming out... DIABLO III. Carpal tunnel, here we come again!

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

gideon_thorne wrote:

C'mon, just because I like me some video games don't mean I'm not die hard. I once gamed for 17 days straight. Of course, it was the summer between my sophmore and junior years of high school, but still.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Re: I know I'm behind the times...

Post by Fiffergrund »

Lord Dynel wrote:
...and that's probably because I play too much City of Heroes or watch too many DVDs with my wife, but I just picked up The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Oh my.
So much to do. So much to see. I don't even know where to start. My assassin did wander into town and am exploring there, and will probably venture over to some ruins I think I saw when I surfaces from my prison break. This game is truly magnificient. And, yes, I'm just realizing it.

Heh, just wait. Some of the quests are magnificent in scope and imagination. Particularly in the Thieves' Guild.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Hah! My wife has been playing Oblivion since we got the PS3 a fe wmonths back. I just started playing it a few days ago and I agree, it's friggin' awesome.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

My [generic arachnid]-sense kicked in the moment I saw City of Heroes. I have sympathy for your situation; I spent far, far too many hours of the last three and a half years (extending from August '04 to February '08) on CoH, until I finally had my "moment of clarity" and resolved to keep the damn thing down to a weekends-only basis. I've been pretty good since then, but I made a solemn, heaven-bound vow to never get involved in another video game again.

I'm with Joe Mac re the paper and pencil bit; any games I get involved in from this point forward, I want to be involved with the person/people face to face, rollin' them dice and discussing the various "ones that got away". Of course, I would extend that description to SKYPE and play-by-e-mail games as well.

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Oblivion is the shiznite but if your tastes also run toward the post-apocalyptic then you need to check out Fallout 3. Made by the same folks that made Oblivion and packed with just as much coolio stuffy. All wrapped up in an irradiated wasteland. Three thumbs up.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Behind the times? Nah, I just stay here in the pizza parlor playing Joust on the table machine and listen to Oingo Boingo on my walkman.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

I gave up video games completely. I found that I actually have time to roleplay, work, have a relationship, spend time with my daughter, go back to college, AND design my homebrew rpg.

Now if I just give up internet forums I figure I can cure cancer, define the unified field theory, and replace the UN with something actually useful in my spare time.

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Joust is fargin awesome.

jaguar451
Ulthal

Post by jaguar451 »

I loved Joust, although I have to replace my Boingo tapes.... Who do you want to be today?

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I'm totally hooked on Oblivion now despite their lack of dwarves. Racist friggin' game. My Nord rocks though.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I just recently got an XBox 360 and I can't seem to find a new copy of Oblivion near me. I knew about it... I've got nothing bad to say about it and so many good things but hadn't thought much about it till this thread.

I used to a PC Gamer and I still believe that consoles have nothing on them with one exception... Games. Year by year, I find the selection for PC gaming getting smaller and smaller. More and more, I'm seeing a lot the games that are released on the PC also get released on a console.

I haven't picked Fallout 3 yet but I imagine I will in the months ahead. I consider new titles a bit pricey with their release. As for Oblivion, by the looks of it, I'll have to order it in if I want it.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Look at Walmart. I see a copy in every walmart within a 50 mile radius of us.

I just finished the main quest the other day but still have a million other things and quests to do in the game. It is sweeeeeet.

Fallout 3 is next on my list to get.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

moriarty777 wrote:
I just recently got an XBox 360 and I can't seem to find a new copy of Oblivion near me. I knew about it... I've got nothing bad to say about it and so many good things but hadn't thought much about it till this thread.

I used to a PC Gamer and I still believe that consoles have nothing on them with one exception... Games. Year by year, I find the selection for PC gaming getting smaller and smaller. More and more, I'm seeing a lot the games that are released on the PC also get released on a console.

I haven't picked Fallout 3 yet but I imagine I will in the months ahead. I consider new titles a bit pricey with their release. As for Oblivion, by the looks of it, I'll have to order it in if I want it.

M

What DD said. Bad thing about Wal-Mart though (at least the ones near me), is that it's still in the $50-60 neighboorhood. If you have any used video game stores in your neck of the woods, Mort, try there. I got a "Game of the Year Edition" for about $30.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I've never played any of the Morrowind games. I've become a bit disillusioned with console and PC RPG's after the glory days of Diablo and Bladur's Gate games.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

DIABLO III coming soon. MY NEXT VIDEO GAMING FRENZY in the mAkING!

Obliviii is pretty fire too, tho.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Here's my question about it. Is Oblivion medieval fantasy or anime inspired sci0fi posing as fantasy?

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

For real fantasy. Not that final fantasy crap.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

DangerDwarf wrote:
For real fantasy. Not that final fantasy crap.

Oxymoron, your doing it pretty well actually.

Peter Bradley