Domesday Book Update

Where Crusaders Gather to Discuss C&C, games they are playing, hook up for conventions and more.
Piperdog
Unkbartig

Domesday Book Update

Post by Piperdog »

To all my peeps in the Society: HEY!

Man, I have been missing hanging out with my buds here online, but I have a day off finally (with no court, no training) so that alone is amazing. We are also snowed in today here in Michigan, and the kids got the much longed for Snow Day. So, the tone here is very much Holiday. I thought I would push college homework aside, in honor and tradition of the habits of my youth, and work on rpg stuff.

As you know, I have been sitting on the submitted material for the Domesday Book, and it is officially being reduced in size, to that of a Society newsletter of ten to twelve pages. I know some of you are disappointed in that, but I understand what Steve is trying to do, and agree with the direction. We really do need a newsletter style format that actually gives, brace yourself, NEWS of what is going on in the Society. Where are the Cons? Who will be running events there? Who is running demo's and at what game store or location? This, plus a mess of other things, are needed for us to communicate and grow as a group. Does that mean no cool fan made stuff will be in the newsletter? Of course there will.

But in my opinion, really cool stuff should be submitted to James Ward for the Crusader. I have scratched my head at some of the cool stuff submitted to the Domesday Book, wondering why the author didn't submit it to a professional publication, or self-publish, because it was awesome!

Because of the changes going on, I want to run a couple ideas past you guys, and let me know what you think.

1) Don't call the newsletter the Domesday Book.

I would suggest the "Castles and Crusades Society Newsletter" or some such thing. Feel free to throw me some suggestions. I think renaming it will keep confusion to a minimal. People won't say "Crap, this isn't at all like the other DD books!" - they will simply see it as an additional publication on top of the DD books.

2) Don't put an end to the big DD book. Make the Domesday Book an annual Society production, as big or bigger than we normally have done, with all the fan-made stuff we love, including adventures, monsters, reviews, etc. This keeps pressure off the fans who do the lions share of the work for layout and so on, keeps the main focus on the Crusader, and still gives a creative outlet for fans for submitting thier own material and see it in a published format.

3)Print the Annual DD Book.

I need to get Steves input on this, as TLG may be able to print it. It might be we could self-publish through Lulu or other such avenue. The profits of the book would go directly into a Society treasury, and we could then use those funds for fun stuff, like parties at GenCon, throw extra products at those doing demos, or whatever the Society members vote on.

I realize there are those that want to keep it a free ezine, but let me share some psychology with you. To many people, free = no value. I learned this in business seminars when I ran my martial arts studio. One of many examples: I started out teaching martial arts and charging very little, because I didn't want the cost to keep them away. Instead, I attracted people in poverty, and those with real money felt it wasn't as valuable as the more expensive classes elsewhere. So I made the place beautiful, and charged even more than my competitors, and surprised myself with how busy and successful my martial arts school became. Percieved value.

I see this with my kids as well. Shoes that are inexpensive are "junk" or "not cool" but shoes that are $120 are deemed legendary. They are, in fact, just shoes. My whole rambling point here is the community will put more value on our work if we charge, even a token fee, for the download, and offer a print version for sale. I really believe more people will want to read it if we do it that way.

This is your Society as much as mine, so tell me if you think this idea blows chunks.

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Eric, I agree wholeheartedly. I think an annual DD book would be a great way to keep people interested and encourage creative participation.

Maybe the Society newsletter could be call "The Herald" or some variation on the theme.
A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your face.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

First off...there are reasons I won't write for Crusader which I've discussed a bit with John and a couple others in chat. I'd also appreciate none of my material being routed that direction away from the DD book.

My toss in the hat for a society newsletter name; The Castle Crier

I can live with an annual DD e-book.

I'm in the no real need for printing and charging camp. Particularly since these could be seen as taking focus away from Crusader. There is also the economic reason to consider...being out of work right now.

My opinions on things.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

While I thought it best not to chime in I decided I should give my opinions. If you don't agree that is fine as this is just my thoughts.

1) I like the DD book as it was and do not feel the change is a good one. That said, if the change has been written in stone I can do nothing but voice my feelings of not liking it.

2) I do not plan to submit to The Crusader unless asked to do so. I have my reasons why and they need no further explanation. In fact, I have let my subscription lapse and do not plan to renew.

3) I do feel a smaller size to get a more even release schedule may be fine at first but it must not hamper what we established in the original DD books and room for growth should be left open.

4) I prefer the book to remain free and fan driven. I see no reason for charging except for maybe a print version and only charge enough to cover printing costs.

5) I wonder if there will be room for the DD book with the Trolls Tusk out. Between it, The Crusader and the DD book I think we may be heading to information overload.

That is all I have for now.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Aneoth of Ironwood
Hlobane Orc

Post by Aneoth of Ironwood »

Mostly agree with all of the posts above:

Except that (since I have written nothing) I am not personally invested in concerns over the adventure writing part... and/or where the adventures (or other submissions) are placed; as long as We continue to get so many wonderful offerings through the DD, or the Crusader, or some other venue.

I also fully support a free E-Zine.... even if it is shorter than the previous DDs and if so, perhaps the yearly DD along with a E-Zine of a different name is a good idea.

In any case, I would purchase a yearly DD Book.

In fact, I would LOVE to purchase a book that included all of the previous DDs combined too.

Maybe some day I will even submit something....
If I ever write anything worth printing, I think it would be FAR more likely to get published in a free E-Zine, or a free Fan-Zine format than in a published monthly magazine.

As an aside.

Has the North Texas RPG Convention been added to DD 5?

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Thanks for your input guys.

I figured that a nice compromise would be keep the DD, but just make it a huge annual dealio. Seems like you guys are okay with that; I didn't want to see it gone entirely either. On the other hand, my own personal ambitions are to submit my work for publication, whether to other established groups like TLG or simply self-publish. My brother and I have been playing with the idea for three years now, but that would actually involve real work, which we have plenty enough of as it stands. lol. So, my contributions to a DD are typically minimal, though I enjoy submitting my artwork and doing the layout.

The idea of a print compilation of all the DD's so far sounds pretty cool. Or even a "Best of" type of print version!

I respect the "keep it free" philosophy, but I feel it would be best to charge for it, like a Fight On or Knockspell. But again, this is a group thing, and I will merrily go where the majority wish to go with this.

I like Castle Crier for a newsletter name, BTW. Lets hope we get more Society input on this, as I want to get this next newsletter out soon.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Any other ideas on a name for the new Society Newsletter? We have Castle Crier as an option. Anything else? Lets get some ideas guys, cuz I have to get this out soon.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Call to Arms.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Squire's Report.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

[quote="Omote"]The Squire's Report.

~O[/quote]

I had to do a double take on this. Thought it said The Squirt at first.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

OF those listed, I think Castle Crier is the best, and am drawing a blank on a suggestion.

Separating DD book from newsletter is best, I think also. I like the fan driven and fan made goodies being shared with fans.

Annual format is cool with me, keeping it free is cool, but maybe a "donate" link on the DL page? Perhaps free pdf but make POD available? (I suppose it's always available to anyone with a pdf, right?)

Julian makes a point about TT and Newsletter and crusader being a lot of communication, but many of us don't subscribe to crusader, so maybe it's not overload.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Eric -

I would go with Castle Crier (Omote - "Squire's Report" might get confusing as I am just going to be the squire for enrollments - and yes folks, I have a bunch that have accumulated in my inbox since Jan. I need to process and get caught up on).

I also concur and suggest we keep the Domesday Book as a once a year special, keep it free, keep it fan-driven as collection of contributions. If it's happening once a year, and the time is in the summer, I can help again - the insanity of my work is directly relevent, naturally, to the academic year, and it will be getting even more harier next year - my campus seems to be indicating they want to elect me as campus senator to the system in Madison.... but summers are always better - ergo why DD IV happened last summer but V languished and I had to give it up once fall hit with it's fury.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Sounds like Castle Crier is the name of the new newsletter. I will get that out asap. As to the Domesday Annual, it sounds like June would be a good release date for it.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

June sounds sweet.

let me know if I can help.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Relaxo,

I will take you up on that offer sir! I am knee deep in a math class right now, and as that hemisphere of my brain is in a horrible state of atrophy, it has taken up all of my free time. I only have another week of it, and then its back to the classes I can slack on, er, I mean go at my own pace.

I am going to do this thing as an email delivered pdf if possible.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Ok guys, I know i said this before, and you are all probably going to stone me, but I need you to pm me your upcoming convention plans that pertain to running or demoing C&C. I will be putting the newsletter together in the next couple of days while I have the time. It's the first breather I have had in months and months, so if I don't get it done now, it won't get done.

Make sure to include all the information, please. I need your REAL name, the convention name and address, website, and what you plan on running. Thanks guys!

Eric