Whats Tainted Lands Really Like?

Where Crusaders Gather to Discuss C&C, games they are playing, hook up for conventions and more.
Ravenstar
Ungern

Whats Tainted Lands Really Like?

Post by Ravenstar »

I wanted to post this question 'here and there' because I am thinking of picking it up - BUT its gotten a lot of bad reviews!

So whats Tainted Lands Really Like?

Is it worth the Money, or would I be better off digging our my Ravenloft books and boxed sets and doing some conversion work?

Keep Rollin' - Drew
Drew? at Dragonsfoot
The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules - Gary Gygax
Last words are for fools who haven't said enough . . . .

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I've heard tales of a product review for TL coming out in the next Domesday...if you can wait a bit longer, it should provide the answers you be lookin for.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Caveat, I do not own Tainted Lands. But, I did follow all that bullshit at RPGnet and in a nutshell it boils down to two things. First Mr.Ward has been around gaming a long time. He was one of the original triumvirate that was there for the start of gaming, along with Mr. Gygax and Dave Arneson. I understand that Mr. Ward didn't fully contribute until he started The Dragon Magazine, which in my mind had the best run in the 1980's. Might be nostalgic but it was a wonderful time for The Dragon Magazine.

I am going to assume the "bad" reviews your talking about is really the Darren MacLellan review. Let me let you in on a not so secret secret. Mr. MacLellan can get full of himslef, but you really can't blame him as people at RPGnet gush over anything he does. In my opinion Mr. MacLellan didn't "get" what Tainted Lands was all about. And, for whatever reason Mr. MacLellans review seemed personal and not unbiased at all. Again the first part you really have to take with a grain of salt because in this day and age everyone has put balance of rules before, you know having fun.

Mr. Ward is old school and like it or not, that is how Mr.Ward writes things. If you are looking for balance then look elsewhere. If you are incapable of thinking on your feet and adapting a setting to your liking, again look elsewhere. If you just want to have fun and not worry about things like exact placement so you can use your Uber powers, then Tainted Lands is for you.

It has been said that Mr.Wards writing is amateur and is simple. Well someone who has been writing games for 30 years, I think they know what they are doing. Mr. Ward himself has said that he writes so that 12 year olds can read and enjoy the games he makes as could a 32 year old. Again take that with a grain of salt, where many games today, sometimes you need a phd to figure out just what the hell they are talking about.

If you have read the thread at RPGnet, I'd dismiss it as any kind of useful discussion. That thread devolved to piling on by people who where not discussing the merits/flaws of Tainted Lands but attacking anyone who tried to talk about the merits and defending Mr. MacLellan instead of stating what they didn't like about Tainted Lands. Mostly because the vast majority of people there never read Tainted Lands and where more interested in the feeding frenzy.

I do not mind talking about other poster(s) on another forum, in this case. I normally do not like doing any kind of cross-over discussion from one forum to another, but the nature of the uniformed bullshit that happened in that thread, it becomes necessary to straighten out what that was about, it was suppose to be about the merits/flaws of Tainted Lands, but it was a sheep in wolfs clothing and it was about bashing Mr. Ward.

Finally, I understand that Tainted Lands is not a Ravenloft knock-off. It is very much its own entity. The only thing it shares with Ravenloft is that they use some iteration of the rules that D&D has used past and present.

All I can say is you'll just have to make up your own mind and here, the members won't be cheerleaders but will tell you what is right about Tainted Lands and what is wrong.

Tainted Lands is on my to buy list, as it is something right up my alley.

Hoped that helped.

K2h2m3
Red Cap

Post by K2h2m3 »

I already answered this to a certain degree over at DF.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Well said, Ironside.

I knew there was a reason I don't follow the forums over there. I've reached that curmudgeonly point in my life where if I sit at a table to play a game, I want to spend my time playing the game and not looking up rules. I've seen too many people in my day who love going through their books to find the rule instead of relishing the situation. If that's what people want, fine. No problem. There's plenty out there for them. Me, I'm finding the more simplistic approach more palatable right now. I must be getting old.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:
Well said, Ironside.

I knew there was a reason I don't follow the forums over there. I've reached that curmudgeonly point in my life where if I sit at a table to play a game, I want to spend my time playing the game and not looking up rules. I've seen too many people in my day who love going through their books to find the rule instead of relishing the situation. If that's what people want, fine. No problem. There's plenty out there for them. Me, I'm finding the more simplistic approach more palatable right now. I must be getting old.

And how! Well said.

-George Washington

Ravenstar
Ungern

Post by Ravenstar »

Thanks for the input guys, due to family issues every purchase has to be considered - upon saying that I ordered Tainted Lands yesterday!
Drew? at Dragonsfoot
The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules - Gary Gygax
Last words are for fools who haven't said enough . . . .