Society Announcement

Where Crusaders Gather to Discuss C&C, games they are playing, hook up for conventions and more.
Society Seneschal
Henchman

Society Announcement

Post by Society Seneschal »

All in the Roster of the Society should have received email notice of the first of the Society Perks. We will be looking forward to adding to this list as they become available.

Thank you.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Very noice.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lord Stinger
Ungern

Post by Lord Stinger »

Yes, Very nice indeed. Much Appreciated.

Duke Stinger, Lord of the Battlemasters of Nighthammer Keep, Castles & Crusades Society

You just think I missed you, give it a sec.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There is a project I would like to see the Soceity do, but I have not the time to manage it or put it together... something that has been done before, assuredly, but never quite the way I would like to see it --- a living dungeon, levels and rooms built by the Society members, and then printed as a box set by the Trolls. To make it simple, we would restrict it to 12 levels, with as many rooms/encounters as needed. No real plot, but hints at one...

But, this is a dream I have had since I took over the reigns and had to let them go. Perhaps something might come of it.

I wish the new Society Chief a lot of luck. It takes an awful amount of ability to keep it together.

That all said, thanks, John, for your hard work and endeavors to keep things rolling.

Jackal
Ulthal

Post by Jackal »

Sorry to see you step down John but I'm glad to hear you won't be going anywhere. Thanks for all you've done for C&C and the C&CS.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

All the best, John!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So now your saying we have to find someone even crazier than you to take over the society reigns?

That is one big order!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I'm legally nuts...but I'm not THAT nuts.
Know all too well how fast real life issues can suck ya under John. Don't let all the "fun" burn you out too badly mate.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I said it over in the Society forum, but I will say it here as well. John is not stepping down from the Society really, but stepping sideways. He is still going to be an intrinsic and invaluable resource for the Society, but he's going to have way more fun. He is really swamped with his new family and job responsibilities....not just busy, folks, but quite literally strapped for free time at all. That free time is best spent with family, sleeping, and hopefully squeezing in a game from time to time. He will still be heavily involved in the Society, as will I.

It has been very difficult, as John and I have discussed on a number of occasions, to juggle everything with such a busy professional life.

Then there are the people who I call "boat anchors"; these are the two or three people who incessantly complain about what they think the Society should be and the direction it should be taking. Usually these people are just whiners, people with really low self-esteem, socially backward, or just plain jackasses. John is a really good guy and takes some of the personal criticisms to heart. I have told him that it doesn't matter what these people think. They could step up and try to do it themselves, but they wont. It's easier to whine.

I think those who have met me in real life know I am a pretty laid back and overall pleasant guy to chat with, and believe I come across this way on the boards as well. Some of you know that I am a street cop by trade. I have done time undercover on a drug team. I have served three years on a swat team. I have achieved master status in the combat martial arts and successfully run a commercial studio for a number of years. I am not saying this to impress you (because none of that impresses me either) but to simply say that at this stage in my adult life, I have none....and I mean zero ....tolerance ....for stupid people. Mean people. Egotistical, arrogant people. And quite frankly, crazy people, which tend to frequent these boards from time to time. I am here to have fun and experience the awesomeness of fantasy escapism, just like everyone here.

Fortunately for these boat anchors, I am too busy to take the reigns as well, as Steve and I just discussed yesterday. But I will still be knee deep in Society stuff, right along side my buddy John and the rest of you guys that I have gotten to know on the boards and GenCon (which by the way will be even better this year!)

I am looking forward to the new and clear direction Steve has in mind for the Society; this will be a good year for us. He is working on a mission statement and clear objectives so the Society isn't so ambiguous, and the CK Ambassador program is going to rock.

On with the Crusade!

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Word to Eric's statement.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Well gents, my question is this. Why do you need to have just one person in charge of the society? Could you not take the tasks that require management and parse them out into 3-5 people? Less work for everyone, less responsibility on the shoulders of one person, more time for other things.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Well gents, my question is this. Why do you need to have just one person in charge of the society? Could you not take the tasks that require management and parse them out into 3-5 people? Less work for everyone, less responsibility on the shoulders of one person, more time for other things.

Kind of what may evolve here methinks.

And thanks Eric for the statement of support - honestly I do want to say criticisms or disagreements on what the society is or is doing is very, very small part of my decision - it really is primarily just the load of work and life that makes it hard to find time to even just be around on the boards while the academic year is in full swing - summers are always much more productive for me for things C&C....

We have had a small but good core group doing stuff - Pat (Moriarty), Todd Pote (GoOgleplex), Eric, Morty, dachda, and Robert (Serleran) with active members very much supportive like Sir O, Relaxo, DangerDwarf, others (if I didn't mention a name please don't take umbrage....) - but most of our endeavors have ended up being centered just around doing a semi-presented ezine and chats, basically serving the small group of us. I know what Steve and TLG want the Society to be, which is a vehicle to expand and promote C&C (which is not at all unreasonable folks - the Society was restarted with the development of C&C and is tied inherently to the game with the same name now), with a focus on the ambassador/support/rewards program in development for members doing stuff locally, providing more online stuff (including more online gaming), and returning to the use of the Society for playtesting.

I think the only real disparity amongst members as to what the Society should be really came into the concept of the Domesday Book - with some wanting to see us really as more of an independent publisher and vehicle for showcasing our work, and of course Robert made many valiant efforts to use it as a "communal" creative force, having members contributing together to create a project (like the attempted Gestalt World). As is oft the case, it's just plain hard to keep such time-intensive efforts that depend on multiple people doing stuff for free to keep it all going steadily. Also, with the Crusader, there is the reality that trying to offer quality stuff for free when much of it could be going to that magazine for submission is somewhat counter-productive to TLG's needs. I know for me, for Eric and for Pat and many others, with our time so precious and many projects we'd like to do, it's hard to put the hours and work into something when you'd rather get paid a little for it (cue Peter here heh )

That was the impetus between changing formats for the Domesday, and going to a newsletter to more actively support the Society, especially in promoting it's greater membership (there are 250+ names on our rolls) to really GET something out of being a member. The Domesday WILL continue, in a newsletter form, with Eric and Pat certainly being a big part of that.

As Eric said, Steve is thinking on what he wants to see the mission statement reflect, and there will be others taking up differing responsibilities. We may have a new "official" Seneschal heading things overall, but taking responsibility for the organizing of the online additions and the con/game support program, while I will certainly continue running the membership and roll maintenance and will run games at GenCon and GaryCon under the banner of the Society.

The Crusade will continue and thrive folks, have no fear! There will be those of us who contribute a lot, but may have to back off from time to time, their will be new members stepping up, and in the end we will perservere!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

seskis281 wrote:
Kind of what may evolve here methinks.

Certainly more flexible. Many hands make light work, and if someone gets busy someone less busy can pick up the load.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Stainless
Ungern

Post by Stainless »

As a University lecturer myself, I fully understand the lack of free time plus the constant nagging guilt when you do get free time, that you should have any free time

===============

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Thanks for the often thankless work that you have done John. Same to Robert. While there have certainly been sokme growing pains associated with the Society I'm sure everyone can agree that those fellas and all the volunteers certainly moved the project forward a great deal from where it was a few years ago.
A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your face.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Man, Seskis and PIperdong are some stand-up guys. And they deserve lots of credit for working on the Society behind the scenes. Just seeing what they accomplished at GenCon last year was great. I'm sure there is a lot more work they have done to that we don't know about.

I honestly wish there were more time in the day for me to devote to such a worthy endeavor. For now though, I shall just be the Society-Convention-Party-Guy and overall ra-ra guy.

Though if anybody has the opportunity to get to GenCon and hang out with these Society Folk, it will be worth the trip. BIG PROPS!

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

well, even without the society and ambassador program support I will still be supporting C&C by running 2 scheduled games at Dark Con next week, if response is good, then I will schedule more games at the local Cons in Phoenix and Tucson.

Maybe you guys could send out a "news letter alert" letting people know there will be C&C games at Dark Con in Phoenix?

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

John, sorry to hear this is the case for you, but I certainly understand. I work at a college, too, and I see what the faculty are going through in these tough times. Free time is definitely hard to come by. Hang in there!

I'm happy to hear that Steve is working on a mission statement and a clear concept on what the Society is all about. I think that focus will help in the long run.

Btw, I never officially joined the Society. It's something I should do.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com