Knights of the Crusade

A forum to discuss Endless Worlds Organised Play events.
(NOTE: This was the Society News forum and has legacy threads that have not yet been sorted)
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Knights of the Crusade

Post by alcyone »

Interesting stuff http://www.trolllord.com/knightsofthecrusade/. Sounds a little RPGA-like, except for the paid options for asocial beings. On one hand I don't think C&C really needs an "elite" subgroup, but people already running at cons and the like should get some reward and recognition.

A chat group only open to members; well, in the past opening it to everybody resulted in some very small chats indeed some nights, so restricting it more doesn't sound like a great idea.

The NPC database sounds great. Hopefully these follow some kind of standard format with a place to note what if any house rules were used (I'd want to know anyway.)

Of the ranks, there certainly needs to be a Jester to take the piss...
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Knights of the Crusade

Post by Julian Grimm »

We've been working on the KoC for some time and the issues you have brought up have been discussed. The one thing I can say for sure is that things like the members only chats and exclusive content was decided upon to make membership more attractive to players and CKs alike.

The NPC database is the beginning of a bigger idea that we are working out. Eventually we hope to expand to a database that includes settings, monsters, spells, new classes and other material that is entirely fan based and fan driven.

As far as the paid tiers go, there was a debate over them and I was on the opposite side of the conversation. However, the KoC is still Steve's baby and I will support the idea hoping that it works out. As far as anything else I am not sure what I am allowed to say at this point so I will keep my cards close to my chest until I know for sure.

I will be available to take questions on the KoC but do not promise quick answers until I know I can answer them.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Julian Grimm wrote:We've been working on the KoC for some time and the issues you have brought up have been discussed. The one thing I can say for sure is that things like the members only chats and exclusive content was decided upon to make membership more attractive to players and CKs alike.

The NPC database is the beginning of a bigger idea that we are working out. Eventually we hope to expand to a database that includes settings, monsters, spells, new classes and other material that is entirely fan based and fan driven.

As far as the paid tiers go, there was a debate over them and I was on the opposite side of the conversation. However, the KoC is still Steve's baby and I will support the idea hoping that it works out. As far as anything else I am not sure what I am allowed to say at this point so I will keep my cards close to my chest until I know for sure.

I will be available to take questions on the KoC but do not promise quick answers until I know I can answer them.
I had meant to comment on this thread, but forgot. :oops: But, Like JG, I can field questions. Just not sure about being able to supply answers.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice job guys for getting this together. It's a worthy cause of any Crusader.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

I am interested in the Knights of the Crusade if this group helps connect players with C&C tournaments. Specifically, I am looking to attend the Origins Game Fair and GenCon for the first time in around 8 years. The Origins website (http://originsgamefair.com/) surprisingly has almost no information whatsoever on the games that will be held there!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I noticed a few typos on the Knights of the Crusade page and figured I'd mention them so they can be corrected and not become a talking point with visitors to the site. Thanks!

MEMBERSHIP
As noted below there are several levels of membership. You can follow the easy road and purchase whatever title your (should be you're) comfortable with, or you can you (extra use of the word - should be deleted) join by running games at local conventions and retailer shops. There are many benefits to membership:

Member Discounts: Member ("Membership" would be more appropriate) comes with automatic discount codes for products sold by both Troll Lord Games and Fat Dragon Games.
Free Downloads: These inlcude (spelling error, use "include") playable scenarios, spells, classes, new mechanics, many if not all of this content written by other Knights.
The C&C Chat Room: Join and meet others at the C&C table. A great place to kick back and discuss the game we all love so much.
Non-Player Character Database: Every member is required to write and upload at least on (should be "one") NPC. These are on site for you to download and use in your games.
Domesday Book: A book dedicated to playable content, compiled and written by other Crusaders.
Convention Support: Running games at cons? Anything you need will be here, from scenarios, to NPCs.
Find a Group: We are working hard to create an active database of Knights so you can access local groups. The Knights will work with you to find a table to join!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

BoomerET
Hlobane Orc

Post by BoomerET »

Just sayin', my Hero Lab plugin would be absolutely awesome for creating the required NPC's?

BoomerET

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

When is this scheduled to go 'live'?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

dachda wrote:When is this scheduled to go 'live'?
Not sure, as Steve hasn't said anything.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

We've launched a very soft opening for people on the mailing list. This is allowing us to work out kinks (of which there are a few).

We are also beginning the uploads for the free content, and organizing it. Up first is a PDF of the Character Chronicler and Folio.

The plan is to have a host of downloadable content. Unusual Encounters should go up this week.

Steve

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I really hope a lot of people (not me) who have been long standing defenders of C&C, who run lots of games for lots of people, people who work conventions, run game store games, champion C&C in forums and virtual tabletops, have written and distributed material, answered questions, etc., people who most people in the community already know, get rank and recognition for what they have already accomplished, before they write another word, or pay any money for this.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Aergraith wrote:I really hope a lot of people (not me) who have been long standing defenders of C&C, who run lots of games for lots of people, people who work conventions, run game store games, champion C&C in forums and virtual tabletops, have written and distributed material, answered questions, etc., people who most people in the community already know, get rank and recognition for what they have already accomplished, before they write another word, or pay any money for this.
Aergraith,

Absolutely. We haven't put out a general call as yet, because the Knights need officers to get it better managed. We are working on that now.

But you can send material to Tim right now and we'll have it in the download sections and you'll have your logon and password as quick as we can get it to you.

As stated on this page here http://www.trolllord.com/knightsofthecrusade/ all you have to do is fire over 1000 words of material (which is sounds like you have in spades) and your in, no cost.

Now, if you've run adventures and what nots at cons/shops or so, just let us know where and we'll also get you in.

We are going to rearrange the organization of that linked page to show the things you have to do to get in the Knights without paying. The pay options are really for those people who just want the content (we are uploading it every few days) but don't want to have to do anything for it.

And remember you are a member of the Society and it has its own free downloadable material...which I'm trying to get uploaded tonight.

Steve

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I have several things to contribute ready to go. Most of them are already in my sig under Whatnots, but I want to officailly contribute them to the C&CS and the KotC. Plus I have other things that I've shared on the boards that can be useful.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I also have some things ready and in development but have been waiting for the Databases and such to go live.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

I have a few odds and ends to contribute, as well. Do we know when the database will be going live? I can't seem to get to the page to sign up and choose my membership level...
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

zacharythefirst wrote:I have a few odds and ends to contribute, as well. Do we know when the database will be going live? I can't seem to get to the page to sign up and choose my membership level...
Not sure, as I haven't heard anything from Steve, but I'm sure he'll make an announcement when it is up and running.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey guys,

Tim is overhauling the site now, adding some necessary information… NPC form, setting up folder to put material in, submission button, and then the actual downloadable content. He is trying to get each section on its own page so it doesn't get all jumbled, but I've pulled him off that until this Kickstarter is finished. So for now it will all be on one page.

We should have it worked out this afternoon or evening….23rd May.

Thanks,
Steve

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

Awesome. Once we've paid, do you know when we'll get our login? I've got a few submissions I'm looking forward to donating!
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

If we produce material such as encounters, adventures, and NPCs for the Society, may we set them in Aihrde? Maybe a special place just for the purpose?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I need a knight.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

BTW, in the rank requirements, what is "playable content"? I've submitted character classes and a monster. Or is it supposed to just be adventures?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Aergraith wrote:BTW, in the rank requirements, what is "playable content"? I've submitted character classes and a monster. Or is it supposed to just be adventures?
I would think anything that can be used to play, so monsters, classes, races, adventures, spells would count as "playable content".

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Eeeeeenteresting.

I happen to have some content laying around. A lot of it.

It also happens to be content that was, at one point, up for publication and it withered on the vine. So I will check with Steve. :)

I also have one Crusader article that I'm not sure was ever printed.
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

Due to some unfortunate issues in my non-gaming life I will not be able to attend GenCon this year. I was looking forward to it and had purchased tickets and such. I used to go every year but for the last 7 or 8 years I haven't made it to Origins or GenCon. At least the good thing is our local game group is still going strong. We are now mainly playing under Castles & Crusades rules and a second member of our group has stepped up to the Castle Keeper duties as well.

Please post here with GenCon news and fun things that you Knights and Society members managed to stir up. I am very much looking forward to next years convention scene and hoping to be a part of it. I hope we can organize some Castles & Crusades games at next year's Origins Game Fair as well as GenCon. Origins was always a favorite convention of mine especially during the years that Andon Unlimited was organizing it. The staff at Origins remains super friendly even today and the convention center is a great setup.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I've just recently gone back and resigned up for the new rolls. I do have to apologize for not being able to help carry forward earlier rolls - when the ning site was set up I transferred the rolls there from my own page and I was awol when that site when defunct and they were lost - all that remained was a basic list several years old in one of the Domesday books. The email list I had was on a trollord society squire account which also went away when I was no longer doing things. So as much as it feels redundant for so many, I urge everyone to please re-register with the new rolls via the C&C Society link on the TLG front page.

As for the KotC - I do hope those of use who have previous standing might receive status for our earlier endeavors as well :) - I notice there is a Crusaders forum, I'd love to rejoin chats, etc.
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

seskis281 wrote:I've just recently gone back and resigned up for the new rolls. I do have to apologize for not being able to help carry forward earlier rolls - when the ning site was set up I transferred the rolls there from my own page and I was awol when that site when defunct and they were lost - all that remained was a basic list several years old in one of the Domesday books. The email list I had was on a trollord society squire account which also went away when I was no longer doing things. So as much as it feels redundant for so many, I urge everyone to please re-register with the new rolls via the C&C Society link on the TLG front page.
Glad to have you back, good sir. You have been sorely missed. CLANG! :D
seskis281 wrote:As for the KotC - I do hope those of use who have previous standing might receive status for our earlier endeavors as well :) - I notice there is a Crusaders forum, I'd love to rejoin chats, etc.
I have Tim looking into it. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

HAHAHAHAA!!!

Wore my KotC C&C tee shirt to the store yesterday and had the clerk comment that A) It was a cool shirt; B) What were the Knights?; and the triumph...C) I'll have to check that out.

The plot begins... :D
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Go0gleplex wrote:HAHAHAHAA!!!

Wore my KotC C&C tee shirt to the store yesterday and had the clerk comment that A) It was a cool shirt; B) What were the Knights?; and the triumph...C) I'll have to check that out.

The plot begins... :D
Spread the word.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

arcanechimera wrote:The new Knights of the Crusade site should be finished soon. I've read over a couple threads on this forum. What Steve has told you in this thread is true of course.

I've been working closely with Steve and Tim on this. If you have any questions about it ask away. I should be able to answer you. If not, then I imagine it is a good question and I will talk to them and get back to you.
Any updates?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I just noticed this ... at times I'm not that bright I guess ....

I have a few ideas I was kicking around for the old C&C Society mag from back in the day. Let me look them over and polish them a little & I'll submit them.

It will depend on how my cadets are between now and their graduation (mid June) as to how long it takes me to get any of it done.

Are there any left & right limits for submissions or anything specific you would like/don't want to see?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society