Society Kickstarter?

A forum to discuss Endless Worlds Organised Play events.
(NOTE: This was the Society News forum and has legacy threads that have not yet been sorted)
DeadReborn
Ulthal

Re: Society Kickstarter?

Post by DeadReborn »

Looking forward to it, JG. You have really taken the bull by the horns since you've come back. And I just want to reiterate, I am at the Society's disposal, if needed.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Thanks for the kind words. However I feel that Pat has taken the brunt of this as I feel I tend to shoot off an idea or two and stay in the background. That said, After DDVII comes out I will be more free with my ideas which includes some radical moves. I appreciate the offer of help as none of us can hold this thing up by ourselves.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Yes, kudos to Pat as well. Considering he is also juggling Arcane Creations, he definitely has his hands full.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Which is something that needs to be addressed. As it stands now we really have one guy putting Domesday together. That will have to change if we are to sustain the book. In my opinion, Pat has been working as a stop-gap until a team gets together that will keep it going. Whether that team involves Pat will be up to him.

Looking at various 'Fanzines' across the net I think we can take an example or two from those that have lasted. Looking at productions like Oerth Journal or Footprints you see that these publications can be done with strictly volunteer efforts. There is an ebb and flow to them which would be natural given the nature of how they are ran. If you look at how the evolution of these publications, you see a very simple beginning that grows. I would like to see that come to Domesday.

I would personally love to see Domesday grow back to the higher page-count book we had but, I understand that takes time. Ideally, Domesday would be a quarterly publication of about 36-48 pages. The content would be mostly C&C/SIEGE but would allow for other classic and current games. Contributions would be based off what goes on in individual campaigns and would also contain variations, expansions and amendments to the rules.

Additionally, other material could be produced under the Society or Domesday name. Campaign settings, rules expansions, modules and such could be gathered under a unifying header so that those new to the game (and those familiar with the 'brand') would have an idea of what these contained. Think how DF does it's various publications and you get an idea of what I see.

Will that happen soon? No. Will it happen at all? Maybe. I do have the confidence in the community that the fans could do this if they so desired. I do not expect this to be an overnight happening. Rather, it is a guideline that could change as needed. As with everything the question is where to begin?

I agree with Treebore that we need some form of guideline for submissions. However, with us mostly being adults I think we can have them more loosely defined. We don't have to abide by the idea that the mother of a 14 year old will be reading it and thus can act accordingly. However, we do need to stay in some realm of good taste. As far as what we can send in, I feel it is pretty much anything goes. New classes, races and spells are always good. Similarly new monsters, magic items and encounters would work well. Beyond that, brief summaries of campaigns, places of interest, organizations and similar are always welcome reads as far as I go.

For me loose guidelines and a self-policing staff would be a good idea. I find strict guidelines can lead to some questionable decisions and animosity and that is best avoided. Loose guidelines give writers and idea and the staff a bit more flexibility. You can still squash unacceptable material but also allow for diverse content.

This is all in theory, of course. We have big decisions to make and questions on where to go after DDVIII. We should be thinking about what we want in the long run but figure out how to keep things going in the short-term.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06