Castles & Crusades returns to Greyhawk

Where Crusaders Gather to Discuss C&C, games they are playing, hook up for conventions and more.
Omote
Battle Stag

Castles & Crusades returns to Greyhawk

Post by Omote »

Last year our Thursday night C&C Greyhawk campaign wrapped up. This was a pretty intense campaign that centered itself around intrigue and politics of the City of Greyhawk during the time of the peasent uprisings (CY560 or so). Anyway, that campaign ended fairly abruptly. It wasn't a TPK or anything like that, but the CK was sure that if there was nothing left to explore in his city adventures, that the campaign had to come to an end. He ended it on a high note for sure.

But, as the months have drifted ever onward, we talk about our adventures and machinations in the City of Hawks. During the last campaign, we probably had 20 players over the previous 2 years. The core group was usually about 7-8 players at a time. Last Thursday, we spoke about continuing the adventures of our PCs in a sequel to that campaign. The excitement was pretty high. What I did not expect though, was our CK to say to everybody that he would rather have me run the campaign than himself. I was pretty shocked. Our previus CK is an extensive LARPer who really knows how to run a game that has a lot of character and personal interactions. NPCs were of prime importance in that game, and each was was really unique. The NPCs were easy to remember. That is usually a pretty tough thing to do in a campaign that features so many.

While I was certainly interested in running the sequel to our Greyhawk campaign, I asked why. JJ (our previous CK) said that his over-arching goal was to continue the campaign in three parts, but like a movie have a new director come in an add their own energy to the story. Once this new campaign reached a natural conclusion we would pause for a time, and JJ would come back to "direct" the third campaign in the trilogy.

That is a pretty cool idea, and I'm excited to be running C&C in the future (when some time in the schedule clears up). However, these are big shoes to fill. Enevitiably most successful films have a sequel. Not all sequels are as good as the original. That causes some trepidation to well up inside.

Hmm, now it's time to create a new story. I'm not sure where to start or where to end. So many questions...

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

pghgamer
Henchman

Re: Castles & Crusades returns to Greyhawk

Post by pghgamer »

Man, that sounds awesome. I know you'll do a good job and your interpretation on the campaign might be what JJ needs to stoke his creative juices. Epic!
Work. It beats a stick in the eye, sometimes.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sometimes the best laid plans just don't work out like we plan. Or do they?

The old campaign's CK (JJ) and myself plotted and twisted the stories that could happen in the second of our planned trilogy of Greyhawk stories. As the months passed on, you could see the enthusiasm build in JJ's eyes. I think he regretted every second of giving up running the proposed second campaign. But sometimes, not everytime, little things happen to plot the course of fate in new directions.

Here I was, amidst a small tragedy in my personal life, I had to give up playing and running these games for a brief period of time. I hadn't seen my campaigning fellows in a few weeks, and we hadn't had the opportunity to speak much. This is when I got a call from JJ, who said that he was going to start running the Greyhawk game we have been speaking about. He was going to start immediately. I was taken back a bit. For months now we had planned on me running the sequel to his original campaign. So, with this brief amount of time I was going to be away, he steps in and takes the carpet right out from underneith me. Stacks of notes and hours were wasted planning something potentially great. I felt betrayed. I felt a bit hurt. But in reality, when the opportunity presents itself, you have to take it, right? I live by that statement. So why should I be offended if it happens without me?

JJ called me back a few days later to see if I would be able to make it to HIS new Greyhawk campaign. I thought about it. I almost said no out of sheer spite. But I didn't. I said sure, I would be there. Why not at least get in a session of my favorite roleplaying game, in one of my favorite settings? Plus, since I knew the direction of the campaign we had originally discussed, it would be sort of fun to see how it all played out.

I was wrong. I showed up to the first session of the new Greyhawk campaign about a hour and a half late. Everybody had their characters created and together, and were bantering back and forth about their jobs, and kids, and all the sort of things that are discussed usually before a game begins. I asked the group why they didn't start yet? They said that they were waiting on JJ -- he didn't want to start yet. I asked JJ why not? He said "we can't play this campaign without you, man! Plus, you've got to see what I have been planning for the past few days."

Wow. I felt like a lug. Just because I thought I was going to run this game, doesn't mean I had to run the game. Plus, they all waited for me to get there. I admit I was taking my time getting to the game, but with all of life's other priorities, they waited. That shame actually felt sort of good, in the sense it brought back perspective.

There was no need to run the game. The only thing that was needed to was to be a part of this group. We were all going to live the journey, no matter who was driving.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Sometimes things work out regardless of the plan. Enjoy the new campaign!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

So...

Was it fun?

shadowspawn
Mist Elf

Post by shadowspawn »

Yes don't leave us hanging :). What happened in the first game?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Our campaign has progressed from when we started playing back in August. We have the chance to play about 2 sessions per month on Thursday nights. Which works out pretty well, though I wish we could play every Thursday. But alas, I am not the GM, and I have to live the schedule of our esteemed Castle Keeper (JJ).

I had a concept in mind for the type of character I wanted to play in this campaing. Since I assumed this would primarily be a city-based campaign, I had been working with a ILLUSIONIST / CLERIC, class-and-a-half character. I did not fully realize at the time how difficult this character would be to play. First off, the CK is the type of guy who demands a pretty deep personal story to your character. The reason for this is he tends to play off your character's background, and desires, during the campaign. While that is the fun part of a difficult character, I had not fully thought of the mechanics of such a combination. Wow, a Class-and-a-half illusionist/Cleric needs a whole hell of a lot of experience points to advance a level. After about 7 sessions I'm clawing my way towards 3rd level.... so.... slow....

Since my primary class is illusionist and secondary class cleric I started play, essentially, as a 0-level cleric (a cleric who more or less can't cast spells). The CK has forced me as a 1st level character to prove my devotion the my spiritual liege, the Hero-God/Demi-God Zagyg. This also presents a challange in itself. To prove devotion, without casting spells, while in the middle of a campaign that doesn't really focus on "How to Become a True Cleric." More on the campaign later.

The style of our CK is usually pretty low-powered. Not a ton of magic flying around, and certainly not dragons' hoard of loot being handed out very often (read: never). I think this tends to make playing a spell caster in the C&C game a bit more difficult. As an illusionist, I don't have the coin to spend on buying a new spell from the wonderful city of Greyhawk. Plus, it's pretty hard to find an illusionist spellbook or scroll around anywhere. I've had to rely on only one new spell since I started playing (obtained by gaining a level). Other than this, I've been struggling to find new ways to use the same spells I started with. I certainly don't have any damaging offensive spells. I've had to use Head Fog more often than I like and try to use my Dancing Lights in the most offensive ways possible (as distractions).

My character didn't start off with a holy symbol either. When I gained my first cleric level (level 2 overall), I still couldn't turn undead. There's a skeleton or two to be turned in the Free City, just so you know. ;)

~O
VAE VICTUS!