Equipping Pregenerated Characters

Where Crusaders Gather to Discuss C&C, games they are playing, hook up for conventions and more.
CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Equipping Pregenerated Characters

Post by CKDad »

I'm working on a batch of 3rd-level pregenerated characters for the Society site, and would like some thoughts on how to equip them.

I'm torn between two options. One is to equip them with armor, weapons and miscellaneous magic items appropriate to their level, and then provide a choice of packs of basic equipment. This is method used for the 2010 Gencon tourney.

The other method is the one used for the AD&D Open Tournament at GaryCon this year. Each class has a sheet with options to pick from. For example, for armor, a fighter might have a choice between a steel breastplate and a +1 shield or a set of banded mail with out shield; for weapons, a choice of a single +2 weapon or two +1 weapons. For miscellaneous magic, a wizard might get to choose two from a list that includes a wand of magic missiles with 20 charges (counting as 2 items), a potion, a scroll of 3 1st level spells, etc.

I'm leaning towards the second option. It will take a few more minutes to equip a character, and the pregens won't have quite as much information filled out on them, but it gives the players more choice and ultimately leads to more combinations.

What do folks here think? And is there a third way (or fourth, or fifth) to help speed up equipping a party for a one-shot demo or convention game?
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Equipping Pregenerated Characters

Post by Go0gleplex »

I was sort of thinking along the lines of your second option there myself CK for the ones I'm diddling around with. I think it gives a good sense of flexibility for the player without leaving things too loose ended.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There was an article in Crusader, which I think crossed two issues, that covered the equipment of advanced PCs, such as those beginning at higher levels or for the creation of NPCs. If you were curious, anyway.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

serleran wrote:There was an article in Crusader, which I think crossed two issues, that covered the equipment of advanced PCs, such as those beginning at higher levels or for the creation of NPCs. If you were curious, anyway.
Ah, thanks sir - I'll root through my back issues tonight to see what can be mined from this.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

I'd choose option #2 if given my druthers. Letting the player pick their preferences from a variety of options allows for more investment in the character.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If this is for a convention, I would suggest doing a basic equipment thing... something everyone has, and then like 6 different "per character" cards, like on an index card, and making the player randomly roll to see what he gets. Each 'per character' should have something special, or two medium specials, so they're somewhat 'fair' across the board, although you might make it even more interesting to have a few that are just poor SoBs...

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

These are intended to be used as convention or demonstration game characters. I'll post a more complete example later tonight or tomorrow.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Volume 2, Issue 4 of the Domesday Book has a great character generator. It has rules for equipping PCs at higher levels.

It's downloadable at the Society site.