CONTEST: Adventure Anthology

A forum to discuss Endless Worlds Organised Play events.
(NOTE: This was the Society News forum and has legacy threads that have not yet been sorted)
moriarty777
Renegade Mage

CONTEST: Adventure Anthology

Post by moriarty777 »

Regarding the Submissions:

1.Submissions are to be no more than 8 pages in length (single spaced at no smaller than 10 pt font) and fantasy-themed for use with Castles & Crusades
2.Each submission may not have more that 1 of either a new creature, new magic item, new spell, or the like. In all other cases, please restrict material used to what is found in the C&C Player's Handbook and the C&C Monsters & Treasure books
3.Game Mechanics: Please be concise but specific.

Example 1: SKELETONS x5 (AL N / HD 1 / AC 13 / 1x1d6)
Example 2: SPIDER, LARGE x1 (AL N / HD 5 / AC 16 / 1x1d8+Poison)
Example 3: TRAP – PIT (CL 1)
Example 4: LOCKED DOOR (CL 2)

4.Maps submitted with the scenario do not count against the page count.
5.Scenarios need to be designed for either parties of characters of levels 1-3 or for levels 4-6
6.Deadline for submissions is Saturday, June 9th 2012 at midnight (EST)

Prizes:

Of all the submissions received, six (6) finalists will be selected by a panel of judges comprising of myself and two other people (yet to be named). The finalists will have their submissions polished up and included in an Adventure Anthology to be published later this year.

All participants will receive a PDF copy of this Anthology. All finalists will receive a Perfect Bound copy of the Anthology along with the PDF. The winner receives the option of either a $50 gift certificate from either Noble Knight Games -or- RPG Now! along with physical and electronic copies of the Anthology.

Regarding Rights & Permissions:

1.The Author acknowledges that the submission is original and has not been published in any form. To the best of the Author's knowledge, it does not infringe any copyright or other actionable right, nor does it contain any defamatory material.
2.The Author recognizes that the Arcana Creations has the right to edit, adapt, and revise the material for purposes of publication.
3.Copyright: While the published product (art, layout, trade dress, etc) is the property of Arcana Creations, the Submission by the Author will always remain copyrighted in their name.
4.Publishing Rights: The Author grants Arcana Creations and its partners an exclusive, worldwide license to publish the material in any written or electronic format for two years from the date of the contest deadline. Attribution to the Author as well as the copyright notice of their material will be maintained throughout the work.

Entries need to be emailed to: [email protected] with the subject as ADVENTURE ANTHOLOGY SUBMISSION. Please be sure to include your full name and title with the submission. ODT and PDF formats are accepted but if you have a submission in a different format, please ask before sending it.

By sending in a submission for the contest, you acknowledge that you are bound to the conditions outlined in the rules of the contest. Best of luck!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: CONTEST: Adventure Anthology

Post by Relaxo »

Any takers?
Updates?
Pep talks?
I plan on squeezing in a short adventure to submit. Anyone else?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Am working one now, but it's purely in outline format so far.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Hey Morty,

Would those adventures Liz and I submitted to BHP count for this, or do they need to be entirely new?

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

Okay, I like it! Working on something now.
Visit my

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

DMMike wrote:Hey Morty,

Would those adventures Liz and I submitted to BHP count for this, or do they need to be entirely new?

Mike
Hush--"Liz" submitted nothing. An unknown stranger submitted an adventure. And I have the contract to prove it.
Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Yes... the contest STILL LIVES!

A few people have inquired about this to me in the past but entries have received little beyond inquiries to date. Thanks Bill for rattling the cage!

Mike -- The only MS I was aware of was the one entitled "For The Love of Evil" and it has been some time ago since I last set my eyes on that. I am unaware of any other adventure MS you may have submitted. That said, as long as it is something that is unpublished, I don't see why any of these can't be submitted as entries.

If anyone has any other questions... feel free to post in this thread or PM me.

Thanks for you interest!

M

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

OK Folks...

I know a bunch of you are apt to waiting to the last minute and, we are getting closer to it. The deadline is next Saturday so anyone interested has about a week.

Consider this a friendly reminder. :)

M

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Been fighting my word processor over mine for the last couple of hours.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

There are only _hours_ left before the deadline! Let's get enough entries to make this happen!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

As mentioned... *hours* left people.

I know a bunch of you have stated they would enter or that they were working on something. Out of these people I have had VERY few things beyond a pledged commitment.

(To those who have sent something in, I do thank you)

Aside from the work you've put in, there is little to lose. However, if this project succeeds, you can be proud of such an effort and there can be a whole lot to gain from the publication of this anthology. It will be something which can give a bit of exposure to a game we all love and enjoy and something that can bring about some exposure to you, the writers if this is something you would like to do more of.

By my count, there is a bit less than 9.5 hours left before the contest officially closes (deadline is midnight EST) but I'm a friendly enough type... if you are running into technical difficulties and are a few minutes off, it's all good!

If, for some reason, we do not have a suitable 'minimum' entries to make this project happen, I still have a plan 'B' in mind. :)

M

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Trying to put the finishing touches on something which I should have started a year ago. Hope to have it done by midnight.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:Trying to put the finishing touches on something which I should have started a year ago. Hope to have it done by midnight.
Great news! Look forward to seeing it!

M

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Yeah, I totally dropped the ball on this. It was definitely a "June? Oh, I have plenty of time" moment.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Well... here's the thing. The contest deadline has come and gone and, after double-checking my spam folders, I can say that I got FAR LESS than I was hoping for. This number is also fewer than the expected amounts of finalists I hoped to have to even do the anthology.

That means fewer than 6 entries folks.

So what now some of you may be thinking? I'm not sure to be honest. I'm still thinking of what to do with what has been submitted and where to go from here.

Here is what I *am* doing for sure:

Those who have submitted something will be getting something for your efforts and rewarded for believing in this project. As far as am concerned, you're 'automatically finalists' and looking through the entries, they are all solid. These will not be published in the originally conceived anthology but will still be used and published in some manner for C&C. This will automatically mean swag for those participants.

It's the least I can do to thank the participants and, I can promise the value of the swag will be more than what one of the six finalists would have gained normally.

As for the grand prize, the $50 gift certificate, I'm not entirely sure what to do here. The goal was to select a winner from six finalists whose entries would make up the anthology. We didn't get six finalists and the anthology isn't happening. That certainly doesn't mean the prize is going away though.

For those who participated, expect an email sometime in the coming week and we can hammer out the details. ;)

M

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Hear hear, Pat!

Like Frost, I'm like, What? it's June? I feel really badly, but this is one of many things that just didn't get done this year... I swear it was Christmas like, 2 weeks ago; WTH?

So what I'm saying is, sorry Pat.
But at the same time you have demonstrated that you're a class act!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Bummed that the contest didn't get enough entries, and glad of the swag and possibility of getting published, but even without that, it was an interesting exercise. Professional adventure writers have my respect.

It's difficult enough to come up with an idea that is original across the corpus of all modules, while remaining familiar enough that someone might actually be able to use what you come up with. You need to be cognizant of the ways people actually use modules; as-is, with some tweaks, or just grabbing an idea here or there. Satisfying all of those seems a lofty goal indeed. You need enough setting to tie your material together, but unless you are building out an existing world, you want little more than that.

That wasn't even the hard part. The hard part for me was working within the constraints, maintaining consistency, combining detail with brevity, and keeping a steady voice while watching for my own stylistic issues. Revising was 100x harder than the joyful phase of cranking it out in the first place. Expanding the material without breaking the parts that were done was difficult. Changing material meant fixing the maps, which for a non-visual arts type was the bit I would have rather left to someone else.

After all of that, I don't think it's the last adventure I write for publication. I can't wait to use what I learned to do an even better one.

And to all of you who entered, and to all of you working writers, I salute you.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Don't be bummed out guys. I think it is safe to say we're just getting started here. I have some ideas that I am going to run by Pat and we'll see what we can do with them.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06