Domesday: Resurrection

A forum to discuss Endless Worlds Organised Play events.
(NOTE: This was the Society News forum and has legacy threads that have not yet been sorted)
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Domesday: Resurrection

Post by Julian Grimm »

I think Pat has the perfect idea and, if none are opposes, I will take Managing Editor for this edition. I also want to add that with my schedule the way it is I am free to help in any other needed way.

I think we are almost ready to make the contribution call. We just need to decide who they are sent to and in what format. Personally, I think the format for articles should be a simple RTF of TXT file so that the editing and layout guys have an easier time formatting them. As for who gets them, I am not sure. Would it be the person running contributions or would it be an editor.

We get this last thing lined out we can get the call made and go on to discussing what the layout will look like while we wait for the contribution deadline (I think one month before publication would work).
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Storycrafter
Mist Elf

Post by Storycrafter »

As I mentioned to Julian privately, I'd like to volunteer my time as proof-reader or minion.

I'm also keen to contribute submissions, but I'm wondering if you're going to create an editorial calendar or just accept submissions ad-hoc?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Things are going to be on hold this week as I deal with the death of one of my best friends. I hope to have things sorted out enough to get back to work on this and other things next week. Right now, I am just to preoccupied to do any real work on this.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Sorry to hear of your loss Josh. You and your friend will e in my prayers.

Morty
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Our prayers for you, Josh. May the Spirit comfort you and the family.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Grimm,

Praying for you and the family.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Went back through my files and found some of the things I had submitted for inclusion in DD V. Not sure they'd fit the new page limits but you're welcome to them if you want them.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm ready to get back started on this. I think the last question I had was to do with format and who will be taking submissions. I will reiterate my thoughts on this: Simple text files would be great as they format much easier than more elaborate documents. I will take submissions if needed ( I have one that was sent to me already), but I think those in charge of submissions would be more appropriate. If everyone is cool with that then we'll make the call for submissions in a few days.

I also want to say thank you for the prayers and good wishes. John will be missed but his legacy and impact on my life is something I will cherish.
Lord Skystorm

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Josh, might I suggest that after you get a feel for the number and type of submissions you'll have for the next issue that you put out and open call for art to meet the articles? Chances are you might have some folks with pre-done art that matches and after that you can get volunteers for specific pieces after that.

Pat mentioned having a rotating editor for DD, but looking above I also noticed that we had several volunteers for layout as well. I f that's the case I would suggest having a rotating layout team as well as. that may be the most time consuming task.

After stuff is in layout you can then send out another submission call with a new editor and layout person and if one issue gets sidetracked with real-life concerns the wheels of the DD dont grind to a halt.

After that the DD gets sent back for final approval to the managing editor (Josh) who then sends the final DD product to me to upload to the site (and Pat as well once he gets the mirror up).

Does that work?

Morty
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Josh, I'm so sorry.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

In terms of my contribution: I don't want to "write a check I can't cash" so to speak, so I'll stick with proofreading and tasks that are faster and lower commitment. I just don't want to be "that guy" who ends up scuttling the project because he said he'd do more than he can.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

cuchulainkevin wrote:Josh, might I suggest that after you get a feel for the number and type of submissions you'll have for the next issue that you put out and open call for art to meet the articles? Chances are you might have some folks with pre-done art that matches and after that you can get volunteers for specific pieces after that.

Pat mentioned having a rotating editor for DD, but looking above I also noticed that we had several volunteers for layout as well. I f that's the case I would suggest having a rotating layout team as well as. that may be the most time consuming task.

After stuff is in layout you can then send out another submission call with a new editor and layout person and if one issue gets sidetracked with real-life concerns the wheels of the DD dont grind to a halt.

After that the DD gets sent back for final approval to the managing editor (Josh) who then sends the final DD product to me to upload to the site (and Pat as well once he gets the mirror up).

Does that work?

Morty
It works great. I'll make the submission call later today and have them sent to me and then pass them on to the teams.
Lord Skystorm

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Relaxo wrote:Josh, I'm so sorry.

Don't be. John left a great legacy and lasting impression on my life. The one thing he wanted most was to see his son who drowned a few years ago. They're together now and I couldn't be happier for him. John will be missed but it is comforting knowing what he left behind. There were over 600 people at the funeral, all of them were left with the same legacy as I was. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen.
Lord Skystorm

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Submission call has been placed in the Open Discussion Forum. I will be placing another at DF.
Lord Skystorm

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Julian Grimm wrote:Submission call has been placed in the Open Discussion Forum. I will be placing another at DF.
Awesome to see that this is starting to roll. The 'committee' should maybe do an online chat discussion at some point or at least an email chain to get all our ducks in a row. I'll email you closer to the weekend regardless and touch base with you.

M

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

We still need to discuss layout: fonts, table size, color, margins, etc.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Pat, I will be watching for the e-mail.

Peter, For an idea of what I am envisioning follow this link. Of course this is just a framework and it comes from a newsletter I was trying to relaunch. When Domesday got off the ground I decided not to follow through and focus on helping get Domesday going. If nothing else, this is a good beginning.
Lord Skystorm

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

Look fine to me. Although, I think the table header would look better white on black, rather than the black on grey. Also, I think we should stay away from non-open fonts (such as the title font you used), as you never know who actually owns the ones floating around on the internet.

For the submission call, it should be noted that submitters using any OGC from a product must attach the section 15 with their submission (or only allow totally original material). And if they'd like their material to be released as OGC, specify how they'd like to be attributed in the section 15.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Peter wrote:Look fine to me. Although, I think the table header would look better white on black, rather than the black on grey. Also, I think we should stay away from non-open fonts (such as the title font you used), as you never know who actually owns the ones floating around on the internet.

For the submission call, it should be noted that submitters using any OGC from a product must attach the section 15 with their submission (or only allow totally original material). And if they'd like their material to be released as OGC, specify how they'd like to be attributed in the section 15.

The ones I used were all open at the time. I don't know if they are any more, and that was a computer crash ago so I don't remember the names. Font and such will be the realm of the layout team and I am only providing an example. As for look and feel of the new Domesday I am fond of the old D&D newsletters and 'zines that existed in the 70s and would like to go with something that evokes that look. Again, just a suggestion.

For the Section 15 part I will look at how it was done with the first run of the 'zine and go from there. One thing to remember is that all the submissions will remain the property of the creator. I think this is also the policy of the society over all as the publishing side of the C&CS is more a vehicle for distribution than it is anything else. Of course I am going by the way things were done in the past and I am not sure things have changed.
Lord Skystorm

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Correct, JG, that was always the intent.

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

The title font is called Requiem it's from a free font site (which the uploaders don't always own the rights to).

The section 15 would need slight updating from the previous version, to include the newest printings.

Also, if you really want to kick it old-school we could lay it out like the first volume of Domesday book. Here's an example.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6141913/Castles ... Sample.pdf

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Just a quick update; The submission call has given me exactly two submissions so far.
Lord Skystorm

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

I have tons of art Josh, just waiting to see what you need. I'm likely to send over a monster or two this weekend.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Got another submission this weekend with some art attached. Glad to see it.
I have tons of art Josh, just waiting to see what you need. I'm likely to send over a monster or two this weekend.
Thanks, Morty. I don't know what we'll need at this point. I have been combing over my collection of newsletters to get a feel for what will work but many of them are pretty light on art. Almost as if it was used to fill gaps in the layout.
Lord Skystorm

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Rats! I can't even remember what I sent you, but I knew I was going to expand it!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

cuchulainkevin wrote:I have tons of art Josh, just waiting to see what you need. I'm likely to send over a monster or two this weekend.
I sent an illustration with the monster that I did. If you want to take a crack at re-drawing it, I'll send it along to you and you could pass it to Josh; I am not attached to my depiction of the creature.

Even better, maybe once Mr. Grimm has all of his monster submissions, you could do a piece with them all fighting an adventurer for another page.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

Wow. I have been getting my old campaign ready in anticipation of receiving my Kickstarter package. I have found a bunch of stuff I have written that might be of interest to Domesday Book (all are in MS Word)

1) Designing a Quasi-Feudal Society for FRPG
2) Orders of Knighthood for FRPG
3) We're Not In Kansas, Toto: Immersing Players in the Fantasy
4) Religion for FRPG
5) Fantasy Societies: The Challenge of Magic

If any of these is of interest, I can be contacted at andrew.gelbman AT gmail.com

I have tons more stuff, but these articles are already converted to C&C :mrgreen:
Visit my

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Hey, I wanna read those!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Andred, your work would be very welcome. If you want to send it over you can send it to jdsherrer(at)gmail(dot)com and put Domesday in the subject.

I received some very nice art this morning that I think we can use. If the art guys want it let me know.

YoYoDude, You sent me the Meniere spell.
Lord Skystorm

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

Do you have enough contributions yet? Or should the staff start contributing to fill some pages?