Looking for group in Portland, OR

Where Crusaders Gather to Discuss C&C, games they are playing, hook up for conventions and more.
metalman42
Skobbit

Looking for group in Portland, OR

Post by metalman42 »

Hey everyone! Just introduced to Castles and Crusades, and I'm looking for people to play with. I was wondering if there are any groups playing C&C in the Portland/Beaverton or Hillsboro area, and are willing to take on another player. Special bonus if you guys meet up at my FLGS, Rainy Day Games! I've considered starting a group myself, but I wanted to play so I could get a sense of how everything works first. My only GMing experience has been with 4e, and I don't want to fall into the same habits.

I started playing with webrpg and 2e AD&D, and wanted to get back to that style of play. It felt like I could do anything in those games, and the SIEGE engine seems like it would enable that nicely.
New CK and follower of the Crusade
Check out my ideas for Castles and Crusades as well as other gaming stuff: http://blog.metalplanetempire.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Looking for group in Portland, OR

Post by Go0gleplex »

Hey Metal. Not in that specific area, down in Salem-Keizer myself...but we have a group of us that meets once a month or so at our CKs house in McMinnville. A few of the guys come down from Portland to play. I'll let them introduce themselves here ;) Anyhow, ours is the only C&C group that I know of, though I think one of the guys runs a game up in Portland for others.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

metalman42
Skobbit

Post by metalman42 »

Thanks for the quick reply! I've got a couple other people in the Portland Gamers meetup group looking to join a C&C group, I may just have to start up my own. I'm gonna keep looking and put a notice up at Rainy Day and some other stuff first.
Check out my ideas for Castles and Crusades as well as other gaming stuff: http://blog.metalplanetempire.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

no worries. I do know that Rainy Days is one of the few gamestores in Oregon that actually carries C&C stuff...so you might have a bit of luck in putting together your own group based there. Don't expect much action from the Conquest con though. Tried two years running to get something going there and didn't even get a comment from people walking by.

metalman42
Skobbit

Post by metalman42 »

Is that actually still going? I can only find info from last year online, I assumed it was cancelled. I'm going to Gamestorm next month, but I understand that's not as much about RPGs.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

ConQuest may have been cancelled. I know they cancelled the event up in Washington. Haven't been to Gamestorm but it can't be anymore "boardgame-centric" than Conquest was.

Going to GaryCon myself next month. Hope you enjoy your event.

metalman42
Skobbit

Post by metalman42 »

Thanks! You have fun in Wisconsin, too! It's a bit far for me, but looks like a ton of fun from the website. I'll keep an eye out for Castles & Crusades and older D&D stuff at Gamestorm, and tell you guys all about it.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Hey metalman,

Another Portlander here! I'm one of the three who truck on down to McMinnville to play with Go0gleplex. I'd be interested in another game here in Portland as well, if I could manage it time-wise. My two buddies never lurk on these forums, but may be interested in another game as well.

Guardian Games also sells C&C stuff and usually has all the latest stuff. They also have a nice selection of used stuff of all D&D editions plus other games. Good euro game and other type boardgames as well. website is: http://ggportland.com/ They are on SE 3rd and Pine, behind the Office Depot.

Shoot me a PM so we can talk about starting a game in Portland. I do occasionally run one-off sessions for three friends in Portland, but we might be able to turn that into regular sessions again.

Ogma
Mist Elf

Post by Ogma »

Hey guys... I wouldn't mind getting into a local C&C game, as well... I live in the NE and FYI, I would much rather PLAY than DM...

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Ogma,

Metalman and I have messaged a couple times. Sound like he's got three folks interested in playing. He can play sundays only I believe. My schedule is hectic with an 18 month old, and a wife who works every 3rd weekend, but I offered to CK a one-off game or two to intro the game to him and the folks he rounded up. I couldn't commit to an every week game though. Shoot us a PM and we can all try to get something going.

dachda

metalman42
Skobbit

Post by metalman42 »

We just played our first game this sunday, hopefully to become a weekly tradition! You're welcome to come next sunday, Ogma, and play with us. I've taken up the GM role, so no worries about that. I was worried at first, but C&C seems to give the CK enough leeway that I'm not worried about doing something wrong - I can just focus on telling a great story. I love it!

If you'd like to come, take a look at my list of houserules at http://blog.metalplanetempire.com/2012/ ... rules.html, and maybe RSVP for the event on meetup.com at http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Gamers/events/55987822/.

Veilheim
Henchman

Post by Veilheim »

Hi all,

We've just started playing on Saturdays in SW Portland -- we could use filling a couple of seats if anyone is interested.

Brennan

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Veilheim wrote:Hi all,

We've just started playing on Saturdays in SW Portland -- we could use filling a couple of seats if anyone is interested.

Brennan
You're playing every saturday? Unfortunately just can't commit to an every week schedule. :cry: Wish I could!

Veilheim
Henchman

Post by Veilheim »

dachda wrote:

Brennan
You're playing every saturday? Unfortunately just can't commit to an every week schedule. :cry: Wish I could!
What happens if we take it to a bi-weekly Friday game? Anyone else interested?

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Veilheim wrote:
dachda wrote:

Brennan
What happens if we take it to a bi-weekly Friday game? Anyone else interested?
I might be able to swing that. Every third weekend the wife works and I'm defintely on baby duty, but the other weekends might work. Not until July though, as I've friends and in-laws visiting starting tomorrow.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Hey all, i am a fellow oregonian gamer. I reside in albany. A bit further south. I am expecting my c&c core books this wednesday :) me and my group game about two to four times a month. We play d&d 4e, which i know has split the gaming world but regardless of opinions i just wanted to let you know we're out here.

Cirlot
Henchman

Post by Cirlot »

Not to further necro an old thread but I am also a resident of Portland and looking to try my hand at C&C. I was lucky enough to aquire copies of the leatherette editions the PHB and M&T and would like to put them to use. I have some prior experience with classic AD&D and other OSR playstyles and am looking for a regular group to meet on a weekly or every-other week basis.

In terms of location, my FLGS is Rainy Day Games: however, if sessions are held on weekends or late enough - i.e. after my work hours - on weeknights I can make it over the river to play.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Hey Portlanders,

I'm thinking of starting an Amazing Adventures campaign. I could only meet once a month so it shouldn't disturb anyone's C&C campaign.

Anyone interested?

Chris