Society Adventure Compilation

Where Crusaders Gather to Discuss C&C, games they are playing, hook up for conventions and more.
Piperdog
Unkbartig

Society Adventure Compilation

Post by Piperdog »

I just blogged about this over at the Society Site. For kicks and giggles, we are going to write a series of short adventures to post up at the site for download. Here are the guidelines, which are sparse.

1. Keep it 1st to 3rd level- We get a lot of new members at the Society who are brand new to C&C and are pondering what to run for their first game. While TLG has some amazing offerings, we would like to offer some short intro adventures to the game to make their first experience easy to access and digest.

2. Keep it 2-6 pages in length, font size no bigger than 12, no smaller than 11, in Times Roman, Ariel, or otherwise readable font, done in Word or OpenOffice.

3. Try to show off the Siege Engine; by that I mean, have encounters that are not just combat. Make use of checks that span all the of the attributes, and try to put the spotlight on each class when possible. In my short adventure I ran for the official event at GenCon, players descended down an iron rung ladder that descended down a very deep shaft....they were attacked by a gargoyle. The guy at the top....I think it was Lord Dynel?...got smacked and had to make a Dex check while fighting it off...and failed. He fell down onto the next person....who had to make a Str check to hang on...and failed and fell...onto the next person. Eventually someone made a check to hang on, and someone else made a check to grab the falling mage, and the ranger made a check to grab him.....
This can add a lot of excitement and fun, while demonstrating the versatile nature of the Siege mechanic.

That's about it. If you are an artist or cartographer and want to contribute to one of the adventures, let me know!

Eric

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Society Adventure Compilation

Post by alcyone »

Sounds fun. Deadline? Should we limit to core and original monsters, or is Aihrde ok?

I've really been wanting to do some 1-on-1 type adventures that highlight a specific class; no group needed, quick intro and loot for a new player to join a bigger game. Maybe an idea for the next compilation.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

This sounds like fun! I'll have to see what sort of short I can throw together!
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Eine gut idee!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Bummer. I can't write anything meaningful in only 6 pages. But a decent idea.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

This is a great idea!

I know what you mean Todd, but try the challenge! (short adventure writing is secondary for you? nyuk nyuk nyuk)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I know it's tough to write something worth anything in a scant few pages, but you would be surprised. My intro adventure I ran at Gencon is barely six pages, but I believe it was a lot of fun for those involved. It really is the difference between writing the novel and writing the short story...both are art forms and enjoyable in their own right, with neither of them being superior. It has been a hard road for me to learn how to write (and then run) a short adventure for a con. I normally write 40 plus pages of size 11 font, single spaced, for part one of some crazy epic story line...
It is a huge mental shift to write short one shots, but when you get it down, it is a blast. And most of the time they fit right into that big epic storyline as a diversionary side quest in route to bigger and better things. Heroes on an epic mission may pass through a village who desperately needs their help, even though there aim was to get to the big city just beyond it, and short little episodes help do that. Plus I think short adventures can have elements of foreshadowing or a common thread that keeps recurring as part of a bigger storyline. In the case of my current campaign, the cult of Thorax keeps rearing it's ugly head, foreshadowing some bad mojo comin' right at the party in weeks ahead.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

One more question. Should the 2-6 pages guideline include any maps? Or is that just 2-6 pages of text?
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Lots of comments seem to be that it's hard to design something fun and awesome in 2-6 pages.

Since my hubris knows no limits, :oops: I've put some thoughts to paper (figuratively) and present to you a rough draft of a short adventure that, IMO, might be fun.

So maybe this might help... or draw all the initial fire, so that others feel safe, LOL.

http://www.4shared.com/document/L1fEBaV ... ecret.html

A while back, someone here posted a thing by Joe Goodman about good module design. I re read it every so often and get most of my good ideas trying to live up to his suggestions. I'll post a link from home later if I can find it again.

Hope this helps!
Bill D.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Mine is ending up pushing the 6 pages with maps, TLG-style new monster description, formatting, and statblocks. Still deleting stuff and shoehorning. Oh well, deleting is probably a good thing; it's not done until there is nothing left to take away. I just hope I don't end up removing all of the interest too.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

So, Relaxo and I did these, did anyone else? It's probably never too late. I'd love to see a bunch of little C&C adventures over at the Society pages.

Piperdog didn't get mine the first time I sent it (don't know about the second time, either, actually). Maybe others sent theirs into the Abyss also?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Go0gleplex wrote:Bummer. I can't write anything meaningful in only 6 pages. But a decent idea.
I'm fairly long-winded with my writing, but I won second place in an Alfred Hitchcock mystery magazine contest where you were limited to 250 words.

Mystery is not my genre of choosing, but with lots of editing I got it down to exactly 250 words.

So, have faith in your abilities.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I've been meaning to return to this and en-good-en it a little, but work and real life have been kicking my ass since September.

Who else is game? come on, try it. the water's fine. :-) It's a good group of supportive folks here, so don't be shy.
Bill D.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If I only had the time to write...

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

kajukenbo
Hlobane Orc

Post by kajukenbo »

Relaxo wrote: So maybe this might help... or draw all the initial fire, so that others feel safe, LOL.

http://www.4shared.com/document/L1fEBaV ... ecret.html

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the link Relaxo. I'm reading it now.

DungeonMasterMJ
Henchman

Post by DungeonMasterMJ »

If anyone needs an artist or a cartographer email me. All pictures and maps will be done by hand then scanned into my computer for digital purposes.
A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make.
_Ernest Gary Gygax

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Has anyone seen this?
http://tartarus-press.blogspot.com/2012 ... o-ask.html

and this?
http://arcanacreations.blogspot.com/201 ... andom.html

(I copy my comments from Under Siege)
Sad to see these posts, but yeah, sad because they ring true.
Let's get the band back together! Let's see this as a call to action, people!

We can start here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11483
(this thread, resurrected!)

Can we get several of us to commit to making this happen? Can we agree to a (totally arbitrary) challenge deadline of Free RPG day, that being June 16th? (Only because without a public deadline, there's no real hard external motivation).

Let's do it!
Bill D.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

OK... Maybe some of us need a bit more encouragement? Or maybe some of us dislike the notion of doing something for nothing. Piper had the right idea and I applaud his efforts to shake things up a bit but sometimes that sort of thing isn't enough. Here's what I am going to do and offer assuming the community does get on board and is interested:

I propose turning this into a little contest. At the end of which, the best entries (I'm thinking about 8) will be published in a compilation. Of these 8 finalists, one will be voted on as the winner of the contest. Off the top of my head, all participants will get a free PDF copy of the compilation. All finalists will get a physical copy of the book in addition to the PDF. The winner gets the book, the PDF, and an additional prize -- probably a $50 gift certificate or something of the sort with some swag thrown in.

Those who would like to submit retain ownership of their work but are granting Arcana Creations / BHP the rights to publish and distribute the work for a limited time. Naturally, we would reserve the right to modify and edit the content for the purposes of publishing these adventures. In turn, the book we put out will include the sorts of things you would expect to see in a commercial product such as artwork, maps, and other regular trappings. As such, sales will go to cover costs of art and production and, should Arcana Creations turn a small profit on this, it will just help to justify running other such contests and initiatives in the future.

In the end, this could help stir up interest from the community and maybe people (current fans and new comers alike) talking and doing more stuff for C&C.

What do my fellow Crusaders think of this proposal? Does this contest idea interest you? If I get the interest, I will formally draft up rules and requirements for it and post it on my blog. Either way, please let me know your thoughts.

Baron Moriarty
High Warden of the Society

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I'm up for it. I'll develop new material for it. I hope Piper's project still happens though.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Aergraith wrote:I'm up for it. I'll develop new material for it. I hope Piper's project still happens though.
It would be nice to see but to be honest, I wasn't sure what was happening with it and it looked a bit dead in the water. I've seen this happen before with the last Domesday book the Society was to put (issue 5) out but it never materialized. I'm all for community support and doing stuff for it but sometimes, it just doesn't work out for whatever reason.

This is not meant preempt his efforts but rather provide a compliment to them. Just suggesting a different way of going about this in order to get the community involved. This was one of the purposes of the compilation, was it not?

Thanks for your offer nonetheless -- hopefully others will show an interest in this.

M

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Projects are always full of vigor until the work begins.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

What you say cannot be denied.

Still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Rhuvein wrote:
Relaxo wrote:Has anyone seen this?
http://tartarus-press.blogspot.com/2012 ... o-ask.html
Fan supported material has not been as prolific as it's once been. He asks why and offers some thoughts on it. I've talked about it on my own blog and try and offer a few thoughts on it as well but don't quite come down to the same thoughts. But between that, and some of the interesting comments on both my blog and Julian's, we have an interesting set of possibilities.

- Maybe it's simple ebb and flow of the market.
- Maybe it's tied in to the number of major releases C&C has had in the past couple of years.
- Maybe it's because of freelance people wanting compensation and better recognition of their work.
- Maybe it's because there is less of a need for fan-based material (consider only 2 books plus modules in 2006 compared to now)
- Different audience and thus different tastes.

And so on...

I think it's more important to try and do something about it which is why I proposed the contest idea.

On the flip side, between his and my own post, I've got some comments happening on my blog! :D

M

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Cool idea, Pat. I'd see that as a partnership with Eric's project, but maybe I read it too fast.

For me personally, My community involvement has waned due to a lack of free time from my dayjob expanding it's hours. This is a good thing on payday to be sure, but my hobby and even family time have taken hits.
Bill D.

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Try this explanation: With the downturn in the economy, people with jobs are working more hours to keep their jobs - and people without jobs, or underemployed, are looking for jobs. No matter what, you have a lot of people with a lot less free time than they had.

Ah well - it's only been within the last three generations (if that) that families had less free time than we all do now.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I think you said it perfectly. (and I said it very poorly, LOL)
Bill D.

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Relaxo wrote:I think you said it perfectly. (and I said it very poorly, LOL)
You said it well. All I did was reiterate.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Well, the OSR can thank Gary, the Trolls and C&C for their movement . . . but you really can’t compare the OSR with C&C. Apples and oranges, both good fruit but quite different.

The OSR probably needs fan supported material to keep it rolling, C&C really does not.

TLG has its campaign world and a great series of modules that surround, enhance and highlight said world ~ the A series. It’s just like Gary did with Greyhawk and the various GH modules.

TLG also offers independent modules to C&C, The Haunted Highlands and earlier Erde modules.
And there have been loads of fan created C&C modules that are very good to excellent written for the game.

So I’d say, at this point – there is a ton of stuff available; perhaps there really isn’t a great need for fan created material, even if it is well written. This is not necessarily my opinion, but an observation. I myself enjoy reading some of the fan created mods to see what CKs are thinking and running for their groups. But I generally don’t use any of it for my game.

These forums (and DF) continue to be extremely active with so many new and interesting forum members asking and presenting excellent questions and ideas. It’s still a thrill to come here and read threads from these great members, even if I don’t necessarily participate (less time to engage these days as I’m putting in lots of hours at work) in the discussions.

The C&C fan community is alive and well, thank you!

:D
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Hehe... All I hope on my end is to continue contributing in my own way. Either by my blog (which has been a lot of fun lately) and to continue providing some third party support for the game we love.

Hopefully people here are enjoying my efforts.

Now, back to task at hand. Contest anyone?

M

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Rhuvein wrote: TLG has its campaign world and a great series of modules that surround, enhance and highlight said world ~ the A series. It’s just like Gary did with Greyhawk and the various GH modules.
TLG has a boring as hell campaign world with a module series that was promised to have been finished three years ago. I would hardly call that good.
TLG also offers independent modules to C&C, The Haunted Highlands and earlier Erde modules.
No, TLG offers material for C&C produced by TLG. Nothing more. You cannot call that independent.
And there have been loads of fan created C&C modules that are very good to excellent written for the game.
The idea is to keep this going.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06