Critical Hits?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Critical Hits?

Post by Shenron »

Did I miss the critical hit rules? I can't seem to find them...

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

not in the book, totally a houserule.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Yup, it's whatever you want em to be. TLG deliberately left out a rule for critical hits because most groups already have one and will likely use their own anyway. The CK and the group can come up with whatever they want or just use the old standard that many seemed to use back in AD&D.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The unofficial official view is that an attack roll of a natural 20 deals maximum damage + 1d4. This was proposed by Davis (as I recall -- it could be wrong) some long time ago as the "way the Trolls do it." However, there is, as yet, no written rule for critical hits.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I'd implement Basic Roleplaying's impale rule (1981 version) as a critical hit rule.

Natural roll of 20: maximum damage of the weapon plus a die roll, e.g. a sword doing 1d8 damage would do 8 + 1d8 damage.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

My house rules for crits and fumbles...

Critical Hits & Fumbles-

If the attacker rolls a natural, unadjusted 20 vs their target in weapons combat (no spells) then they do additional damage to their target equal to twice their level. (ie, a 4th level fighter crits, so gains a +8 to damage for that attack.)

If the attacker rolls a natural, unadjusted 1 vs their target in weapons combat (no spells) then they not only miss...but do so in such a spectacular fashion that they have an automatic 1 for initiative during the next round of combat as they recover.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

Some pretty cool ideas, I really like that says "Way the trolls do it", that should be a bumper sticker

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I use the "Great Hits & Terrible Misses" article from Crusader #7 (written by Jeff Talanian) utilizing the "Crit to Hit" option also from that article. This in conjunction with the "Armor Damage Rules" (by Mike Stewart) from Crusader #2, has worked out nicely for our group over the years.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

Could you post those?

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

order Crusader#7...

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

I was afraid you would say that

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Posting copyrighted material is a bad idea, unless given permission to do it. The PDFs of old(er) Crusader magazines are relatively inexpensive.

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

I understand the copyright part, I was hoping the would be a free download or something. I am kind of jobless at the moment...

So anything extra not in the budget.

But no worries

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Traveller wrote:
I'd implement Basic Roleplaying's impale rule (1981 version) as a critical hit rule.

Natural roll of 20: maximum damage of the weapon plus a die roll, e.g. a sword doing 1d8 damage would do 8 + 1d8 damage.

Yeah, that's my favorite now a days, though back in teh day, we'd just double the roll, which sucked on a 1
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Here's the table I am currently tinkering with, I wanted more than just plain old extra damage, some different or interesting effects which could shake up a combat or lead to some unusual events.

It relies on the GM to come up with a descriptor of the whys and hows, rather than prescribing it for the DM, hopefully this avoids some of the "nonsensical" results of more detailed tables.
Critical Hit Table. Roll 1d10 after a natural 20.
1. Maimed (missing limbs, broken arms, concussion, brain damage, swollen eyes, ringing ears etc)- attack causes maximum damage and the victim subtracts 1d3 from a random stat for (roll 1d6) 1- permanently; 2- 1d3 months; 3- 1d3 weeks ; 4- 1d6 days; 5- 1d12 hours; 6- 1d20 turns.
2. The Pain!- the attack causes such pain that animal type and thinking creatures up to 2HD will cower in surrender or flee.

PC's and creatures 3HD and over must make a save against fear or retreat from combat for 2 rounds to recover (fighting retreat on the first round, next round recovering). Those who make their save or are unable to flee (cornered or last man standing) are -2 to hit and save for 1d3 rounds, or may rethink the wisdom of continuing the battle.
3. K.0.- target must make a constitution save or pass out (from the force of the blow, pain, or shock) for 1d4 turns. If save is successful target is stunned for 1d3 rounds.
4. Extra Attack- via skill, ferocity or luck the attacker has an opportunity to roll an extra attack against the same or another opponent within 10' if the original one has ceased to be a threat. If using ranged weapon attack may be against any target in range.

5. Equipment Related- the target takes double rolled damage and suffers some equipment related misfortune as a result of the blow (broken shield, ruined armour, exploded pack etc.) Note that for monsters without "equipment" this may indicate damage to an attack method (shattered claw, tentacle chopped off etc.)
6. Knockdown- target suffers normal damage and is knocked over. Target chooses to either lose next attack but no other penalties as it dodges and rises or be -2 to AC, to hit, and initiative next round as they struggle to fight back while regaining their feet.
7. Extra Damage- attack inflicts weapons maximum damage and the weapons listed damage is then rolled again and added, any bonuses are then added once.

8. Move- Target is forced/staggered/dragged up to 25' in a direction of the attackers choosing.
9. Players choice- Player chooses an appropriate category or suggests some other result applicable to the situation

for DM approval.
10. DM choice- DM chooses an appropriate category or assigns some other situation appropriate result.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Since we're talking critical hits, I feel it necessary to plug my article for Rolemaster fans: Beat 'em To A Pulp!

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

I have always liked the d% crit table and fumble table. I have used those to awesome effect in my Pathfinder game I am in.

Anyway, those links are not working. Could you resubmit them for me?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Traveller wrote:

I didn't know that is where that came from, good to know. That is my preferred rule.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

My rule is:

Natural 20: double damage

Natural 1: Dex check (d20 + dex mod vs 12/18), failure means next round is lost and success means normal miss.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

That is pretty effective and simple Lord Dynel. I like those fumble rules, harsh, yet fun.

The Dex check is unmodified right? Just a straight d20 vs (12/28 if it is prime or not prime? They do not add their level etc to it?)

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Shenron wrote:
That is pretty effective and simple Lord Dynel. I like those fumble rules, harsh, yet fun.

The Dex check is unmodified right? Just a straight d20 vs (12/28 if it is prime or not prime? They do not add their level etc to it?)

Thank you sir! My intention was specifically to be as simple as I could.

The fumble check I have my players make is d20 + Dex modifier only, vs. CL 12/18 only (much like a SIEGE check for a class ability of another class). I thought of adding level, too, but I think it will trivialize fumbles as the levels progress. This way it keeps it simple and remains a threat throughout the characters' careers.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I had never heard of the way the Trolls do it with the maximum damage of the weapon and a 1d4 (or another roll on the weapon damage) that is actually pretty cool.

Up until my current C&C game I use a natural 20 as double damage and a 1 you hurt yourself. Now though, I am using the Paizo's Critical Hit deck and Critical Fumble deck. Not exactly a 100% translation, but does the job pretty well and the players (as well as me) never know what to expect.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Shenron wrote:
Could you post those?

No, sorry Shenron, I think the Trolls would skin me alive and eat my innerds if I did that. It is copyrighted. Just pick up a PDF copy of Crusader#7 when you can.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Natural 20 always hits even if the math doesn't work and 1 always fails. And that's it...easy. I think that's in the rulebook, so that's the way the Trolls (and I) do it. At least in writing.

Critical hits make things more complicated...DO NOT WANT.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

As my group has opted to use "whimsy cards" we do not have a critical hit system, per se, as one of the cards is that -- play it and the attack hits automatically and deals maximum + 1d4. This helps keep critical hits to a minimum and works against the players almost as often, but monsters get fewer cards in whole... oh, and there is a "critical hit (group)" card (actually, more than one in the deck) which I've yet to see played.

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

serleran wrote:
As my group has opted to use "whimsy cards" we do not have a critical hit system, per se, as one of the cards is that -- play it and the attack hits automatically and deals maximum + 1d4. This helps keep critical hits to a minimum and works against the players almost as often, but monsters get fewer cards in whole... oh, and there is a "critical hit (group)" card (actually, more than one in the deck) which I've yet to see played.

Did you make up this deck, or is there a list of the cards somewhere? It sounds interesting.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I made it up. I posted about it Here where you responded.

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

serleran wrote:
I made it up. I posted about it Here where you responded.
I really should give that "memory" thing a try. I hear it has lots of benefits...

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Meh, memory is for elephants and any Windows-based PC.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Memory is overrated!