C&C Living Campaign

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

C&C Living Campaign

Post by AGNKim »

I was thinking, and have been approached, about a Living Campaign taking place in Aihrde. I've talked it over with Steve, and he is in supportive if this gets off the ground. I'm still banging around the groundwork, but would like to see if there is any interest in this.

Post here if it is something you would like to see implemented. Ask any questions, or give any advice.

Thanks,

Kim

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I'd say some interest for sure, though how much would sort of depend on the particulars of what develops.

Questions being; would this be an event driven thing based on con events or a community driven thing based on designated CK games?

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The $5 modules will most likely be usable to support a "Living" campaign. Adventures for "living" games require a different writing approach, as well as formatting, etc...

Paizo sells theirs as PDF's for a couple of dollars each.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Suggested this a few times, and will be doing my own part but am waiting for Fields of Battle before I go further.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Man, I'd be way in for this, if I had free time ...

The only problem I've seen with "living" world is when guys or groups get out of hand and all of a sudden you have a new duke of Avignon or The empress of the outermere is replaced ...

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'd be interested in something like this.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Sounds interesting. Love to hear more.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'd be interested, and willing to run mods at local and nearby conventions. Make it happen.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I'd love to hear more. As a society member, I'm definitely interested in things that could increase exposure to the game and, where possible, help out to those ends.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

I would love to join/help out with this.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm not really sure what a "living campaign" means. So, I guess my question is what the bleep are you talking about?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

[quote="Buttmonkey"]I'm not really sure what a "living campaign" means. So, I guess my question is what the bleep are you talking about? [/quote]

Here's the most complete explaination I could find to give you an idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_campaigns

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Kim, that is an awesome idea. I'm in.

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

ABSOLUTELY!

I really enjoyed the first "Living City" campaigns (et. al.) back in the 90s and I think it would do a lot to promote visibility for C&C now.

I used to do Coordination for the local RPGA stuff and could certainly do so now with the Castles & Crusades Society..with TLG sanctioning.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Thanks for the input, guys. Now I know there is some community support, we'll take this to phase two. (Phase one was asking about it, phase two consists of me looking at the computer saying, "Dear God what have I gotten myself into?" Don't expect much until phase seven...)
Go0gleplex wrote:
Questions being; would this be an event driven thing based on con events or a community driven thing based on designated CK games?

Right now, I'm thinking the latter. I've talked with a few people, namely Breakdaddy, and have come to the conclusion that only con-based events would be kind of slow-going. It would be community based, wherein we have trustworthy CKs running a campaign in a shared world. But there would have to be some kind of vetting process or...
Lurker wrote:
The only problem I've seen with "living" world is when guys or groups get out of hand and all of a sudden you have a new duke of Avignon or The empress of the outermere is replaced ...

this happens. A regular group with a good CK finds a group of adventurers have killed the ruling family and have set themselves up as rulers of the capital. While on the surface, that would be an awesome scenario, what you really would have would be two CKs having a testosterone fight.

Step one (of phase two, I guess...) is to find interested CKs. What I would like to do is have potential CKs start a new campaign, with 1st level characters, in Airdhe. For this game, the rules in the PHB and M&T would have to be followed to a 'T', no house rules. Everyone must play within the same boundaries. Since the Living Campaign will use pre-written, Living Campaign designated adventures, it can be kind of a 'one-shot' night for those in a pre-existing campaign.

So, if you are interested in being a CK, please email at the address below. I'll catalog the responses to get a good count. You may not here from me for a few weeks after you send the email. I'll be waiting for a sufficient number before I proceed.

Any questions, you can email me as well, or just drop 'em here.

Thanks for the support, guys.

Kim

yeoldechow
Henchman

Post by yeoldechow »

Congrats on getting to the start of establishing a Living Campaign.
I know that for my FLGS, the RPGA 4e LFR games gets, by and large, the lion's share of interest during the public Gamedays and even on days where there's no specified Gamedays. I suppose it's the idea of having an "established and approved" character that you can use in any public LFR game that's the main lure for most though the idea of an ongoing continuity seems nice too.

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

precisely on all points.

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

I think it's an excellent idea. A lot of people really go for the "living" campaigns.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I'd be willing to support this as a CK, and to approach my FLGS for support, depending on how frequent the sessions would need to be. Monthly (or less frequently) I can handle!

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

We have a gaming store in Wilmington that provides tables for RPG's on Tuesday nights. I would love to get a monthly game going...or better yet, to play in one.
Winter is coming...

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

Sounds like fun! I'd like to see plenty of lattitude for CKs to use the judgment in houserules and whathaveyou--I went through a rough patch in Living Greyhawk where things weren't so fun b/c of that issue.
EDIT: And hopefully support for home play? I like playing at the FLGS, but the old kitchen table is handy, too!
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

I am down, I just joined the society as well. I have been reading though the Players Handbook and Monsters and Treasures book and I am already cooking up my campaign.

I plan on picking up The Keepers book soon.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

[quote="zacharythefirst"]Sounds like fun! I'd like to see plenty of lattitude for CKs to use the judgment in houserules and whathaveyou--I went through a rough patch in Living Greyhawk where things weren't so fun b/c of that issue.
EDIT: And hopefully support for home play? I like playing at the FLGS, but the old kitchen table is handy, too![/quote]

Unfortunately it is unlikely that house rules will be able to be implemented. Not because anyone is down on them, but because if you are transferring characters between Living Campaign games, the new CK won't have any basis of reference for house rulings affecting your character. In this light, things do have to be by the book so everyone is on the exact same page in terms of character development, items, and play. One of those unfortunate realities unless someone has figured out how to do it otherwise.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Only way would be an official repository of house-rules like a Campaign Wiki or whatever. The problem there is that many CKs (like me, for example) may not even like a house-rule and this would somehow give them "credence" like a semi-official non-written rule... the concept is just a bag of nipples we don't need to know suck.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Hey guys... sorry I have been away from this topic. I have been busy (no, really!) and running my own campaign pretty hard-core for the last month or so, which is out of state, so travel time is a concern as well. But enough of my excuses...

Looks like we will be headed forward with this. I'm working with some of the other Trolls on some specifics, but hopefully we will have some news come TrollCon. I have a few interested CKs that have written to me, but still need more, so if you are interested, drop me a line.

Like has been stated above, house rules would be out. If someone, for instance, decides the CBs of 12 and 18 or too high and lowers them to 10 and 15, that would basically give them a +2 (non primes) or a +3 (primes) over those using the set rules. I use house rules in my game (I love using Fate Points to make the game more dramatic), but the official rules would have to be adhered to so as to ensure everyone is playing with the same limitations.

So, this hasn't been forgotten, it's just been set aside a bit. But it's time is coming upon us and I promise to keep you guys informed about things as they happen.

Thanks for your interest,

Kim

qstor
Ungern

Post by qstor »

I'm interested in this.

The way to control "Joe becomes the Duke" of Junggold? is for the campaign staff to control events and control dishing out noble titles. They would have the final say over things. So if the campaign staff doesn't want the Duke to die. Then they don't let him die...or have an explantion on why he did die and have an hier appointed from his family and not Joe.

Mike

Marcus B5
"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom."
--G'Kar from “Babylon 5”

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

zacharythefirst wrote:
Sounds like fun! I'd like to see plenty of lattitude for CKs to use the judgment in houserules and whathaveyou--I went through a rough patch in Living Greyhawk where things weren't so fun b/c of that issue.
EDIT: And hopefully support for home play? I like playing at the FLGS, but the old kitchen table is handy, too!

The rules have to be consistent and uniform, or it just doesn't work...otherwise there's no way to take the PC from con to con (etc) and not be disappointed when someone gives you grief.

I would like to stay away from "for sale" magic items, even for charity they suck.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Shenron wrote:
I am down, I just joined the society as well. I have been reading though the Players Handbook and Monsters and Treasures book and I am already cooking up my campaign.

I plan on picking up The Keepers book soon.

Soon is a relative term. I've been meaning to pick it up soon also, like five years soon.
R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Mmmm... seems like the groundwork of a Living Campaign might be something to discuss next week.... even with 33% less AGNKim (which, in all fairness, is balancing for me, who exceeded 33% MORE AGNKim at GenCon last year, along with excess Breakdaddy and Hudson)

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com