A few sessions under my belt...

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
babbage
Hlobane Orc

A few sessions under my belt...

Post by babbage »

As some of you know, I've been DMing for a long time, but CKing just a few sessions. I came here from 3.5e and after quite a few bad experiences relating to prep time and length of combats I'd finally had enough. It wasn't the game I used to know.

After a couple of sessions of CKing I am beginning to find my feet. I used to wing a lot of things in my 1e/2e days and things went smoothly. C&C gave me that feeling back and my players have enjoyed themselves immensely - as have I.

Although the combat was quick, I still thought I was being restricted somehow and ruining the atmosphere with calls for initiative and so on. I had this discussion in another forum and last night I implemented it. In essence, I decided to do away with most surprise rolls, and all initiative rolls - using the situation as it happens as a guide.

Well, it was a huge success. Great fun was had last night and we ended up having 5 (count them, 5!) combats in one session.

So, a big thank you to Troll Lord Games for creating a system that allows players from differing D&D backgrounds to so seamlessly play together, and for creating a system that puts control back where it belongs - in MY hands. Muahaha!

8)

- Benjamin Franklin

babbage
Hlobane Orc

Post by babbage »

Oh, and it's my birthday today! 38 years young.

- Benjamin Franklin

rabindranath72
Lore Drake

Post by rabindranath72 »

babbage wrote:

Happy Crusade! ehm, birthday

Jason
Mist Elf

Post by Jason »

Happy birthday!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Glad the gaming went well, babbage. And Happy B-day!

Enjoy. 8)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Well said and happy birthday!

I agree, off-the-cuff gaming is something that 1e, 2e, and C&C all are very good at facilitating.

I might just try running the next adventure entirely ad-hoc...

babbage
Hlobane Orc

Post by babbage »

Thanks all. Off to the pub soon...

- Benjamin Franklin

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Glad it went so well. Hope our Birthday goes even better.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Happy celebratory day. I must say, I only play ad hoc, off-the-cuff, so C&C is right up my trenchcoat as it were.

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

babbage wrote:

heh...Happy Birthday old man!

(from a guy who is, and always will be, 8 months younger than you. )

babbage
Hlobane Orc

Post by babbage »

Shadowslayer wrote:
heh...Happy Birthday old man!

(from a guy who is, and always will be, 8 months younger than you. )

Ah yes, but you're catching me up. Some time ago you were half my age, now - I bet your about 98% or some such.

- Benjamin Franklin

BASH MAN
Red Cap

Re: A few sessions under my belt...

Post by BASH MAN »

babbage wrote:
In essence, I decided to do away with most surprise rolls, and all initiative rolls - using the situation as it happens as a guide.

8)

I have done a similar thing for initiative. Instead of having characters act in an order decided by dice, it is decided by logic, ala proximity. I.E. if you are firing a readied crossbow, you will hit your enemy before he runs up at stabs you. If you are moving 10' to attack your foe, you get to do so before the guy that has to move 30' to do so, because you will get there first! If you are casting a spell, you go last-- you were busy waving your arms and chanting all round!

Essentially, I have an initiative order system that works great:

1. All people firing ranged weapons or hurled weapons go first, those who are moving the least in their turn go before those who are moving more (movement takes time).

2. All people who are using melee weapons go second, again, in order of those who had to move least to do so-- thus the two fighters locked in melee go before the two standing 50ft apart can run and clash with one another.

3. The spellcasters finish chanting and the spells go off.

Now if I want to be really meticulous, you can even deal with movement by phase. Keep track of 10 phases per round. Each phase, you move 1/10th of your movement. This again, is very meticulous, and I wouldn't recomend it. The above system is speedier and gets the job done!

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

babbage wrote:
Ah yes, but you're catching me up. Some time ago you were half my age, now - I bet your about 98% or some such.

Whats that old man? You're not making any sense. Put your teeth in, willya?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Shadowslayer wrote:

You know, I would laugh at that if I wasn't older than Babbage.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

babbage
Hlobane Orc

Post by babbage »

Shadowslayer wrote:

I do have my teeth in. Turn your hearing aid up.

- Benjamin Franklin

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

babbage wrote:
I do have my teeth in. Turn your hearing aid up.

Shadow & Babbage sitting on a park bench:

Shad: Boy, sure is windy out here

Bab: eh? Its not Wednesday, its Thursday.

Shad: eh? Thirsty...Ok lets go, I'll buy us a beer.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Shadowslayer wrote:
Shadow & Babbage sitting on a park bench:

Shad: Boy, sure is windy out here

Bab: eh? Its not Wednesday, its Thursday.

Shad: eh? Thirsty...Ok lets go, I'll buy us a beer.

Rhu shambles up to the bench leaning on his cane, "Hello young fellers! Is there room here for an old fool? [Drools a bit as he smiles]. Rhu moves over to the bench and sits at the end - grinning like a senile old bastitch! "Say youngins', did I ever tell you when I had 2 young girls in . .. I mean 2 PCs in my old Castles and Crusades game? Thems were the days, I say. Dice were hot, mountain dew was cold and I was a . . . Castle Keeper! Yep, one of the best . . . I could CK the game, order pizza and bring the PCs within a inch of their lives . . . [drools some more].

And then one time, I was CK'ing this game see . . . uhh, . . . [Rhu falls asleep in mid sentence]!

Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

Rhuvein wrote:
.....And then one time, I was CK'ing this game see . . . uhh, . . . [Rhu falls asleep in mid sentence]!

Shad looks at Bab: "Let's take his stuff"

babbage
Hlobane Orc

Post by babbage »

Shadowslayer wrote:
Shad looks at Bab: "Let's take his stuff"

You're on!

- Benjamin Franklin