Levelling up

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
allensh
Mist Elf

Levelling up

Post by allensh »

I am interested in the opinions of the wise folks here on the subject of when to allow characters to attain the next level. During the adventure? between adventures? Do you charge training costs, and if so how much?

EDIT: The default rule on page 122 of the PHB is known to me; just trying to see what CK's actually do
Allen

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

When a character earns enough XP to advance, they have an option. They can either gain the immediate benefits of class advancement (+1 to all class-based abilities, HP, better attack if applicable, and saves) or they can go and train (this is actually required for spellcasters) which gives them the same benefits, but they also get more options open to them such as "one re-roll of HD" or "learn a new weapon" or something, based on the character, what is available, and so forth. Costs and length of time is highly dependent on what they are seeking to do, and may not even be possible.

Now, in cases where the party simply cannot return and train, they just level, immediately. This hurts the spellcasters most, so I allow the sacrifice of a higher-level spell to cast a lower-level spell, once per adventure, so the wizards and clerics do not feel ripped when they advance mid-game.

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

I give out XP at the end of each session.

Currently, we have ended each session at a "good point" to stop. The party is usually, just on the cusp of some new journey or has just wound down a previous journey or trip and is thus at a good point to raise a level.

As things change, I will discuss that with the group a bit. I may continue to tally up XP at the end of the day's session and then only allow them to apply that XP after completing the story so far.

As for arcane casters obtaining new spells. I will allow them to pick one spell from the next casting level of spells as they gain them. This will be explained as the character had been self-studying the ways of magic and has finally "completed" the construction of the spell or completed the half-notes that their instructor had supplied in the spellbook he/she is using.

Any additional spells will need to be found via recording them off of scrolls or from the libraries and books of other arcane casters.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

I take the 1E approach but I change the training requirements to be less expensive. Generally, the PCs have enough for training and maybe a couple of equipment upgrades, then they are broke and need to do more adventuring.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Witterquick
Hlobane Orc

Post by Witterquick »

I've been wondering about this, because I'm about to send the PC's on a fairly long expedition away from civilization. I would hate to penalize the PC's on account of my own storytelling.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Mine changes from campaign to campaign. Sometimes I require training, but most of the time not. I usually save XPs until the end of an adventure, so normally if I require training the PCs have the time to train before finding something else to get into.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If it is strictly a class related issue, I level them as soon as they have the xp's. This is because they do advance due to experience, not training.

They only have to train when it is something they are paying xp's to learn outside of their class abilities or are trying to increase a stat.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

For me, when a character raises a level they gain the BtH and HP increase without the need for training.

For a new class ability they have to find a member of the class who has the ability to train them in its use.

Wizards have to spend the time in study to gain new spells, clerics have to visit a church and learn the proper prayers for higher level spells, etc. I will allowthem to use the new spell slots on lower level spells until they learn spells of the new level however.

Training costs depend on situation. Monk want to learn his nifty new class ability? usually training cost isn't involved, he simply has to show the monastary he is ready for the advanced technique. The cleric wants access to the next level of spells? Usually it invloves a tithe to the church. I don't have any hard and fast rules in this area and instead depend on the general situation.

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

I just hand out XP either at the end of the night or the beginning of a session. They level up then. Rarely does it happen mid-session.

Over the years, I've done the "training" thing as well as needing other requirements, but in the end, I see nothing gained by doing it this way.

Level up, pick a new spell, roll the HP and let's get on with it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hehe, that's why you implement some benefit for training... so the players want to do it. For example, in my games, you can train whenever you're going to level, and you get to pick something to get as your "reward" for roleplaying it out, and taking the time and whatnot to train. These rewards are usually something like "rereoll HD" or "+2 bonus on HP roll" to something more dramatic (much more restricted, and only available if you've been consistent in roleplaying) like "+1 BtH when using a dagger" or "+1 pick pockets." Otherwise, there is no tangible benefit, and seems more like a penalty (ie, takes your money away.)

Obviously, the PCs can't use this all the time, as they're often out and about away from places where viable trainers can be found... but it is there for them when they need it (usually at lower levels) and they like that they can "train with a purpose."

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Levelling up

Post by Rhuvein »

allensh wrote:
I am interested in the opinions of the wise folks here on the subject of when to allow characters to attain the next level. During the adventure? between adventures? Do you charge training costs, and if so how much?

EDIT: The default rule on page 122 of the PHB is known to me; just trying to see what CK's actually do
Allen

I follow the book's guidelines for training, but much depends on where the party is. If there in the middle of a dungeon exploration, I don't assign XP after the session unless it's a logical break in the action.

If I do assign XP and they level, then it doesn't take effect until they are out of the dungeon. Then if they are back at the village, then the number of training days must occur. This could simply be traveling to the next adventure or town.

If the party continues in the dungeon, doing battle and further exploration , leveling could occur faster and quite possible while there.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Shadowslayer wrote:
I just hand out XP either at the end of the night or the beginning of a session. They level up then. Rarely does it happen mid-session.

That is very true. I don't ever worry about handling it mid-session because I never pass out XP at that point.

baran_i_kanu
Ungern

Post by baran_i_kanu »

I hand out XP at the end of the night's session. If they level up during the adventure so be it.

I assume that, in between adventures, they have been training on their own and with the experience of fighting/casting/etc. "in the field" it all clicks together and they level up.

I have never used paid training but I am considering it to waste their gold, similar to what they do in Conan D20 (carousing - throw away gold literally buying nothing tangible but ale and whores between adventures and gain half that amount in xp. If they buy something useful, no xp. )

I'm going to allow them to spend gold on training, recieving half of what they spent in XP.

Gets rid of gold and useful at lower levels.

At higher levels I'll assume they are experienced enough at what they do that normal instruction won't give them much benefit anymore 'cause, really, so what if you spend 10,000 on training and recieve 5,000XP when you need 500,000 for the next level.

That 10,000 gold could have bought a LOT of other things, retainers, land, etc.

Hmmmm....perhaps they could gain more gold by training lower level NPC's who want to learn from their skill and experience.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I tend to hand out xp at the end of an adventure. Unless, it is logical for the characters to receive it before hand (on long journeys between episodes of an adventure or such). As for training, I don't usually require my players to do that, but I've been rethinking that.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

serleran wrote:
Hehe, that's why you implement some benefit for training... so the players want to do it. For example, in my games, you can train whenever you're going to level, and you get to pick something to get as your "reward" for roleplaying it out, and taking the time and whatnot to train. These rewards are usually something like "rereoll HD" or "+2 bonus on HP roll" to something more dramatic (much more restricted, and only available if you've been consistent in roleplaying) like "+1 BtH when using a dagger" or "+1 pick pockets." Otherwise, there is no tangible benefit, and seems more like a penalty (ie, takes your money away.)

Obviously, the PCs can't use this all the time, as they're often out and about away from places where viable trainers can be found... but it is there for them when they need it (usually at lower levels) and they like that they can "train with a purpose."

I like this.