Social Combat?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

The use of Charisma as a prime?
Initial impression

Use it to change a NPC's reaction to you. There's so steadfast rules but you can make them initially roll for a CHA check and the amount they succeed by changes the NPCs reaction from say unfriendly to non-chalant... or something.

the DM will have to roleplay accordingly and fairly. So its tougher on the DM but more rewarding i think overall to the player to actually hear and see how a NPC reacts to him, instead of just rolling some dice and getting the result they want. While this way, CHA actually makes a difference.

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

Maybe an example?

Bard and Orc walks up to the barkeep.

Level 2 Elven-Bard: CHA prime, +2 CHA modifier

Level 2 Orc-Fighter: CHA no prime, -2 CHA modifier

Barkeep is normally unfriendly to strangers

"Aye, more of you ancient races!"

-----------

Bard rolls: 14 +2 (CHA mod) + 2 (level) = 18

Beats 12 by 6, --> Succeeds by 5 over, Changes unfriendly to non-chalant.

Barkeep, "You seem ok, not like some of those other stuffy elven kind. What will it be?"

------------

Orc rolls: 14 -2 (CHA) + 2(level) = 18

Doesn't beat 18 --> No change

Barkeep, "Get what you want and then leave. You're making my patrons uneasy."

-------------

A simple example...with an inconsequent result really, cause the barkeep wants to sell ale at the end of the day. Just how he interacts can be different. More important with blacksmiths or other things of higher value or negotiation etc.

Many exceptions to this of course.

Scurvy_Platypus
Ungern

Post by Scurvy_Platypus »

angelius wrote:
The use of Charisma as a prime?

Sorry, not quite aure where you're going with this... are you stating how you deal with Cha being used as a Prime, or something else I'm just missing?

My idea as far as the social combat was concerned was a method for a more varied approach to social interactions in general. I used Cha for my example, but perhaps it was shooting myself in the foot; people seem to think I was trying to replace role playing with dice rolling.

Honestly, as I'm going to try it out, the attribute used would depend on what you're trying to do. The DM would need to be a bit flexible, and the player would have to have a reasonable explanation for picking the attribute in the first place.

Looking back at my example, the Thief was using Cha. The most likely explanation for that would be because the character is more of a fast / smooth talking type. Trying to bluff his way.

On the other hand, the player might have tried using Int. This then would be more of the "reasoned arguement".

If the Thief tried to browbeat / intimidate the guard, then the player might pick Wis or Str.

Right now as I envision things, whether or not the attribute is a Prime doesn't really matter. If you want Prime to matter, then you could run it a couple of different ways: Prime means you do more damage (normal social combat is d4, if you're using a Prime you do d6), it could function as additional "social hit points" (add 4 or 6 to your attribute to determine your number of "social hit points), or it could function as damage resistance.

The damage resistance ide has a couple of ways it could go also. The simplest would be to say that Prime means 1 point of "damage resistance". A more complicated way of doing it (that might be potentially too powerful) would be to say that Prime means a damage resistance equal to you attribute bonus. So someone with a Cha Prime and a score of 12 would have a damage resistance of 0. On the other hand, the social monkey with an 18 Cha would have a D.R. of 3. And that kind of DR would mean that there wasn't really _much_ point to rolling. Then again, it's a way for the player to _see_ just how their character can finesse things most of the time.

If Primes matter, and one person (say the Thief) tries using their Prime (Cha) against another person's Prime (say the Guard with an Int prime) then resolve the "combat" as if neither was prime. At least that's what I'd do.

Like I said, this was an idea and I haven't actually tried it out. It could be completely pointless, it could be unsatisfying, etc. My wife is always up for trying stuff out, so I'll probably try it out a bit and see how it works with just her. Depending on that, I'll see whether to refine it or drop it. Always a small chance that it works just as it is.

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

Someone mentioned earlier how CHA as a prime would be helpful.

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

angelius wrote:
Someone mentioned earlier how CHA as a prime would be helpful.

Yeah, that would have been me. I asked because a few people commented they roleplay the situation vs. having a mechanic in place. Thanks, Angelius. Your system encourages roleplay while still giving importance to the stat. Scruvy_Platypus, please post your findings when you try out your social combat rule. I'm interested in hearing how it went.

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

BeZurKur wrote:
Yeah, that would have been me. I asked because a few people commented they roleplay the situation vs. having a mechanic in place. Thanks, Angelius. Your system encourages roleplay while still giving importance to the stat. Scruvy_Platypus, please post your findings when you try out your social combat rule. I'm interested in hearing how it went.

It is somewhat important for a mechanic to be in place, or it becomes a dump stat for a lot of classes.

I just try to make it just as valuable as a prime in STR.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There are no dump stats in C&C's Prime system, whatever stat is keyed to whichever type of save, you had better be extra afraid when you have to save with a non-prime stat.

CHA is key against charms/mind control type spells, irregardless of divine or arcane origin. Yes, please, consider it a dump stat!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Treebore wrote:
CHA is key against charms/mind control type spells, irregardless of divine or arcane origin. Yes, please, consider it a dump stat!

I was thinking the same thing. The sheer number of spells that CHA is a save against makes me drool with evil possibilities.

Witterquick
Hlobane Orc

Post by Witterquick »

After a very heavy role-playing intensive session, I found players more interested in roleplaying that just rolling on their Charisma, because their rolls sucked so badly.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

fortunately for my group 3 out of 4 of them took Charisma as a Prime. Heck, I think I even took it as a Prime for C.K.'s on-line Chat game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Re: Social Combat?

Post by Fiffergrund »

This came up in one of the other resurrected threads, so I'm bringing this one back from the dead too.

Hopefully it's not past the Best Before date - it's a Res, not a True Res.
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society