New or unusual PC races??

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

New or unusual PC races??

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Do you have any ideas for a new PC race? Have you used any unusual races in your games??

I was looking through some old D&D books & Dragon mags and saw a few interesting ones. The Lupin, Tortle, & Rakasta from Mystara. The Mongrelman seems neat- a horribly ugly humanoid that is NOT evil. It started in the old adventure- I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City and there is an article in Dragon #242.

I had a player use a Centaur once. We even had an evil campaign where two of the main PC's were Half-orc Shamans , Assassins,etc.

Players were "Reincarnated" (by the 6th level Magic-user spell )as a Bugbear,Kobold, and Ogre-Magi.

What are your experiences??
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Re: New or unusual PC races??

Post by Zudrak »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
Do you have any ideas for a new PC race? Have you used any unusual races in your games??

I was looking through some old D&D books & Dragon mags and saw a few interesting ones. The Lupin, Tortle, & Rakasta from Mystara. The Mongrelman seems neat- a horribly ugly humanoid that is NOT evil. It started in the old adventure- I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City and there is an article in Dragon #242.

I had a player use a Centaur once. We even had an evil campaign where two of the main PC's were Half-orc Shamans , Assassins,etc.

Players were "Reincarnated" (by the 6th level Magic-user spell )as a Bugbear,Kobold, and Ogre-Magi.

What are your experiences??

I really like the Grippli (from the AD&D Monster Manual II and Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors for 3e). It makes for a fantastic thief. My sister played one in a short-lived 3e campaign.

As for new, based on dcs' post in the "Very happy with the East Mark Gazetteer" thread, it looks like the Veshoge from the LA game will be making its way into C&C.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

rabindranath72
Lore Drake

Post by rabindranath72 »

My favorites are Minotaurs and Half-ogres (Dragonlance setting).

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

There was an old Dragon mag article with rules for PC Grippli and others , if I remember right.

What are the Veshoge??

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
There was an old Dragon mag article with rules for PC Grippli and others , if I remember right.

What are the Veshoge??

Veshoge are described here. (EDIT: Third post down.)

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Thank you Zudrak. They kinda seem like Half-Orcs though, don't they?

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
Thank you Zudrak. They kinda seem like Half-Orcs though, don't they?

You're welcome! I haven't played LA, but I saw in one thread that they remind some folk of the "pig-faced" orcs of BD&D and 1e AD&D.

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

In my DL game I allow Minotaurs and I've kicked around the idea of doing a draconic type PC race.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If a player asks, I'll let them play whatever they want. Its not hard to do, but I prefer to make such "monster characters" as "classes" so there is no such thing as an ogre fighter... there are only ogres (and ogre magi.)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I've never been a fan of using unusual races in my fantasy games. the reason being that highly unusual races tend to bring about unique roleplaying situations... not bad in itself, but thse situations tend to affect the other party members who are normal humans, elves, etc.

For settings where the unusual races are the norm (Dragonlance for example) I let the players run with it.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

serleran wrote:
If a player asks, I'll let them play whatever they want. Its not hard to do, but I prefer to make such "monster characters" as "classes" so there is no such thing as an ogre fighter... there are only ogres (and ogre magi.)

Makes sense. I did have a player who was reincarnated as a Kobold gain a few levels (2 or 3) as a Magic-user. I figured if regular Kobolds could become a Shaman or Witchdoctor, a much more intelligent reincarnated Kobold could do the same.

The D&D book Savage Species gives some great ideas on humanoid characters.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I found Savage Species to be more limiting than useful.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

serleran wrote:
I found Savage Species to be more limiting than useful.

I probably wouldnt use any of the rules exactly as written, but I found it useful for some ideas/reference. Especially leveling "monster" classes as you mentioned.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Aye, definitely not something to use as written, but very few things are. I just like to change things... never seems to be "right," even the stuff I write. Always find something I did wrong...

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

I've been trying to work up a plant-based character race for C&C, kinda human-sized Ents -- that weird enough?

Moorcrys

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Maybe a young Treant?(a sapling?) They don't start out that big. The largest oak starts as a sall acorn...and all that....

I found that Dragon mag,its issue #262. It has 5 new races as possibilities.

Buckawn- kinda like Brownies.(with nuts or without?)

Chitine- spider-people (maybe like aranea?)

Grippli- frog guys

Ravenkin- if you can't figure this out I can't help you.

Tasloi- those nasty little guys from that old adventure I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Moorcrys wrote:
I've been trying to work up a plant-based character race for C&C, kinda human-sized Ents -- that weird enough?

Not really. I also was thinking of a plant-based PC race to go with my draconic race. I may have to break out my notes and put something together.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

This is my take on a Minotaur race- I run a much more complex game of C&C and I relied heavily on Savage spiecies--- Also note that I have revamped most core classes and added tons of stuff, - I added in weapon Pro rules from 2 edition ect.

Mimbar (Mimbarian or Minotaur)

Base Racial Adjustments:

Ability Adjustment: +2 Str, +2 Dex, -4 Int, -2 Cha.

Speed Base 30ft.

Dark vision: 60ft.

Automatic Languages: Giant, Common.

Prime Attribute: Strength

Starting Gold:

Hit Die: D8

Alignment: Any

Weapons: Any

Weapon Proficiencies: 3 at 1st level. 1 Slot gained every 3 Level levels.

Gain Proficiency in its Natural Attacks at 1st Level

Unskilled Weapon Use Penalty: -2

Minotaurs gain bonus Weapon Proficiency Slots equal to either their Intelligence or Wisdom Bonus (whichever is Greater).

Minotaurs start play knowing how to use Single-Weapon, Two-Hander, and Weapon and Shield styles.

Armor: Light Armor, and Shield (may spend a Weapon Proficiency Slot to Purchase Medium, then Heavy armor (note must purchase Medium first.)

Abilities: Keen Senses, Natural Cunning, Scent, Increased size, Gore,

BtH: As Fighter -1

Keen Senses (Wis): All sensory checks made by a Minotaur are made as if Wisdom were a Prime Ability Score for them, regardless of whether or not it is a Prime. At 3rd Level they gain an additional +1, at 6th a +2, at 9th a +3, and at 12 an additional +4.

Natural Cunning: Minotaurs while not overly bright do not get lost and have an innate sense of where they are and where they have been. 2nd Level: Cannot get Lost 4th Level: After acquiring Scent they can track by a persons smell. 8th Level: Immune to Maze and are never flat footed.

Scent: (Wis): This Ability is considered Prime, regardless of whether the character has Wisdom as Prime. Character has the scent ability at the range listed- Double if down wind and is able to find the exact position of the scents source.

Increased size: Minotaurs slowly grow in stature until upon reaching 6th level they cross over into the size large category. Once they become size large they receive a -4 on all conceal checks and Armor costs at least twice the normal (non-magical price). They also receive a -1 AC Penalty due to their size, and gains Reach of 10ft. They are also able to carry and lift more. Base Speed goes up to 40ft. They also receive one of the following abilities:

Gore: A Minotaur may make a Gore attack at the listed damage plus his Strength modifier x 1.5 In melee combat a Minotaur may opt to make an Off-hand attack with his Horns. This attack is made at a -4 penalty dealing only the base damage plus the heightened Strength bonus. His main attack does not suffer any penalty.

Gore 1d4 / Bonus Charge damage: 2d6

Gore 1d6 /Bonus Charge damage: 2d8

Gore 1d8 / Bonus Charge damage: 4d6

Mighty Roar: 1/day (as a standard action) you can use the sound of your voice to Shaken foe that are equal to your Level/HD or less. All within 30 ft must make a Charisma Saving Throw or be Shaken (at -2 to all actions ) for 1d6+1 round for each point Charisma Bonus possessed by the Minotaur.

Greater Mighty Roar: 1/day as Mighty Roar save that Duration is 2d6 rounds, and all affected must make a Charisma save or be Panicked (50% chance to drop what they are holding and flee for the duration). Panic supersedes Shaken.

1st: Gore 1d4, +2 Natural Armor, Ability Adjustment: +2 Str, +2 Dex, -4 Int, -2 Cha. Speed

Base 30ft. Dark vision: 60ft. Automatic Languages: Giant, Common.

2nd: +2 Strength, Keen Senses, Natural Cunning,

3rd: +2 Con, +1 Natural Armor, Gore 1d6, Keen Senses +1

4th: +2 Strength, Scent 30ft. Track via Scent

5th: +2 Con, +1 Natural Armor, Mighty Roar 1/day

6th: +2 Strength (+8 total),-2 Dexterity, Scent 20ft, Size Increase, Reach, Keen Senses +2

7th: +1 Natural Armor (Total of +5), Never Flat footed, immune Maze, Gore 1d8

8th: Greater Scent-60ft. Mighty Roar 2/day

9th: Keen Senses +3, Greater Mighty Roar 1/day

10th: Mighty Roar 3/day

11th:

12th: Greater Mighty Roar 2/day

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: New or unusual PC races??

Post by gideon_thorne »

If you can imagine it, chances are its been used in my homebrew.

Course, some of the more popular ones are anthropomorphic beings (various animal-human blends) and shape shifters.

Basically, if someone wants to pull some sort of critter from a given setting or game and play it as a race, I'm game.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Rigon wrote:
Not really. I also was thinking of a plant-based PC race to go with my draconic race. I may have to break out my notes and put something together.

R-

I'd love to see what you come up with if you do. I had some head-scratching at trying to make them uniquely plant-ish without overpowering them. My last pass at it is on my laptop. I'll find it tonight and post it.

Moorcrys

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

This is the last work I did on the 'plant race'... Aia in my campaign world is the goddess of nature -- the green mother. I originally wrote it for the 3e stuff I was working on, so I took a quick pass on it and have tried to remove as many of the 3eisms as possible.

Aian

Guardians of the groves, the woods, and of green and growing things, the children of Aia have never been numerous. Their numbers are dwindling, and perhaps they will soon pass unnoticed from this age and be quite forgotten. Aians are treefolk, usually the size of a large man and vaguely humanoid in appearance with root-tipped legs, two arms resembling crooked, grasping branches, and gnarled, treelike faces. They have been blessed with the spirit of willow, oak, birch, elm, maple, beech, and other trees of the forest, and so sprout green, red, yellow, and orange leaves, twigs and moss-like patches from their rugged brown, barked skins.

These creatures live exceedingly long lives, and even the elves refer to them as old ones, referring to both their connection to the primordial deity of life and their tendency to outlive even the eldest elfin kings. In temperament, they are slow and careful in demeanor, ponderous and even-tempered. They lack the fine manipulation and quicker reflexes of most humanoid races, though they are generally healthier and considered more wise. Even the most gregarious of this race are considered by humankind to be distant and reserved, and their odd physical appearance combined with their unhurried demeanor is off-putting or exasperating to many humanoids. Aians tend to see the necessity and value of all living things of the wilds and the woods, and only consider enemies those who wantonly destroy the green. Often they are tolerated, if grudgingly, by most races of the wood for their non-interference; from green dragons to tribes of woodland savages to fey creatures. However, these children of Aia are stubborn and unchangeable in the extreme and have exceedingly long memories, so slights and affronts to themselves or their kin are never forgotten. When roused to anger the Aians are relentless, tireless, and brutal foes.

Aians are at home in the forests and rolling hills of the wilderness and little place else. Connected to the life of the verdant country in a profound way, they can little appreciate the towns and cities of men, and in fact slowly wither and die if prevented from drinking sunlight and rooting in the rich earth. Aians are, in general, fearful of underground or completely enclosed spaces, though they are not prevented from venturing there should the need arise. They are powerful guardians of the natural world and are often found serving as lone druids in Aias service. While slow and ponderous in speech and action, they are stubborn and hale, and many of their kind are able warriors.

To the children of Aia, most of the humanoid races are indistinguishable from one another. They are most comfortable with elves, gnomes, half-elves and halflings for their connection to and appreciation of the natural world. Half-elves, dwarves, humans, half-orcs, and darkling humanoids all look the same to Aians, and they tend to be cautious and distant when dealing with these races until they prove themselves allies or worthy of respect.

Favored Class: Druid

Size: Medium

Base land speed is 20

Attribute Modifiers: Constitution +2, Wisdom +2, Dexterity -4, Charisma -2

Low-Light Vision: All Aians possess low-light vision out to 120.

Barkskinned: Aians gain a +1 bonus to their Armor Class due to their thick, barked skin.

Draw from the Earth (Ex): Aians may root into any natural earth or loose soil (but not rock, sand, or earth that cannot sustain plant life) and draw sustenance from it. Drawing from the earth takes 10 minutes. No footwear may be worn while rooting into the soil. Once rooted, an Aian is cannot move, gains a +20 bonus to Dexterity checks to remain standing and against bull rushes and overbearing checks. He is also denied his dexterity bonus and considered vulnerable to sneak attacks and back attacks while drawing from the earth. While rooted, an Aian draws nourishment from the soil. Aians regain 1 hp per hour while rooted, above and beyond hit points gained from resting. In prime conditions, such as during daylight hours in a temperate or warm, moist area and bathed in sunlight or rain, Aians gain 1-3 hp per hour while rooted. Permanent ability damage may also be healed by drawing from the earth, at a rate of 1 point per week. An Aian may regain lost limbs by rooting for 1 month per limb. An Aian may free himself from the earth at any time, though it takes 1 full round to do so per week it has remained in this state (minimum 1 full round). An Aian sleeps by drawing from the earth and suffers penalties (as though suffering from a lack of sleep) if prevented from doing so.

Speak with Plants (Sp): An Aian may speak with plants once per day, as per the spell.

Treeform (Ex): Aians can assume the form of a medium sized tree once per day for up to one hour. Such a transformation grants them a +10 bonus to Hide checks. Such a transformation requires a full round to activate. While in treeform, an Aian cannot move or cast any spells requiring somatic components. Cancelling the effect early can be done immediately but prevents the effect from being reactivated until the following day. An Aian is fully aware and suffers not sensory penalties while in Treeform.

Resistance to Enchantment: An Aians alien humanoid nature grants them a natural resistance to some enchantments. They gain a +2 bonus to charm and suggestion effects.

Need for Sunlight: An Aian requires sunlight to survive. He suffers 1d8 points of damage per full day in underground environments or areas where he is denied at least some natural light. This damage cannot be healed until he spends at least one hour in natural light or within the radius of an daylight-equivalent spell, such as a the cleric spell daylight. Torchlight, a light spell, or similar magics will not offset this weakness.

Weakness to Fire: Aians suffer a -4 penalty to all saving throws involving fire. They take an additional point of damage per die from fire attacks and any fire based damage. Enemies of this race are well aware of this weakness.

Moorcrys

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Moorcrys wrote:

How about a Vegipygmy? (Sentient Humanoid mushroom) I think AD&D 2e....
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Relaxo wrote:
How about a Vegipygmy? (Sentient Humanoid mushroom) I think AD&D 2e....

That's some 1e goodness -- Expedition to the Barrier Peaks! Woohoo.

Walking shrooms are fine... moreso in my college years but thats a story for another messageboard.

I was looking more for something 'Entish'... more than shroomish. Plus the name 'vegipygmy' is hard to take seriously and I'd have a tough time referencing it every game session. "Feel the bite of my vegipygmy axe..." doesn't evoke the mood I'm looking for.

Moorcrys

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Dragon Magazine #313 featured a new race of elves, the "Ghost Elf". My wife's last PC she created was one and I'd like to see that race converted to C&C. I'll see if I can't dig up my Dragon mags from the storage bin in the basement and do one myself. If someone can beat me to it, go ahead!

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

jeff
Ungern

Post by jeff »

I allow Half-Hobgoblins in my game. I don't have the info with me, but I'll be able to post it later.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If shambling mounds were not so powerful, I would suggest them, but they are a tad mighty for a PC.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

serleran wrote:
If shambling mounds were not so powerful, I would suggest them, but they are a tad mighty for a PC.

Well, Mr. Monster, how's about coming up with a moundling? A lesser version, so to speak? I wouldn't call it a "Shambling Moundling", though, that's tough to hear in my mind's ear.

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Moorcrys wrote:
That's some 1e goodness -- Expedition to the Barrier Peaks! Woohoo.

Are they that old? (Am *I* that old?)

Like anyone who ran Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, I can honestly say it changed my campaign forever! (long story short -- I adapted the module to my 2nd ed AD&D game (homebrew setting) and the Players quite surprized my by befrineding the mind flayer in the "dungeon" in this module... so it became an NPC that traveled with them! Who'd a thunk?... this lead me to buy the Illithiad, (or whatever) and make mind flayers my primary villians... the friendly one was secretly manipulating the PC's to help the flayers shut down the sun so they could rise out of the underdark and take over the surface.... it worked out quite well if I do say so myself!)

(maybe that wasn't so short after all)
What was this thread about? Sorry.

I like the Aians listed above! may try that someday!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Relaxo wrote:
Are they that old? (Am *I* that old?)

Like anyone who ran Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, I can honestly say it changed my campaign forever! (long story short -- I adapted the module to my 2nd ed AD&D game (homebrew setting) and the Players quite surprized my by befrineding the mind flayer in the "dungeon" in this module... so it became an NPC that traveled with them! Who'd a thunk?... this lead me to buy the Illithiad, (or whatever) and make mind flayers my primary villians... the friendly one was secretly manipulating the PC's to help the flayers shut down the sun so they could rise out of the underdark and take over the surface.... it worked out quite well if I do say so myself!)

(maybe that wasn't so short after all)
What was this thread about? Sorry.

I like the Aians listed above! may try that someday!

Embrace the old!!! I'm that old. In reference to Serleran's earlier post, playing a shambling mound might strike too close to home for me.
Barrier Peaks blew my mind when I first read it -- finding sci-fi in my fantasy? Crazy. Mind Flayers were awesome villains, and of course that mod really crystallized them as a perfect villain race for me.

But back to PC races, sorry for the diversion! Thanks for the compliment on the Aians -- a little bit powerful I think, but it's along the lines of what I'm trying to work into my campaign.

Moorcrys

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

There was a Legends&Lairs book that FFG put out called Mythic Races. It's basically nothing but a d20 player-character races book. It's got a wide mix of humanoid insects to demon-descended dudes to pixies.

Know your roll!