I cant wait for 4E to get here

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Re: I cant wait for 4E to get here

Post by Warunsun »

Arduin wrote:Wow, all those thousands of people who played for a couple decades never knew I guess. Good thing no one told them. :lol:
Converting 2E Dark Sun to 3E & OSR games is far, FAR, FAR easier than going from 4E edition to 3.x, OSR, etc.
Everyone I knew back when we were playing AD&D 2E were pretty pissed actually that the boxed set was obsolete so fast. It has nothing to do with conversions. :) The new modules didn't aligned up with the boxed set at all and they ended up releasing a second set in record time for a campaign setting.

Dark Sun fits 4E very well. The increased power-level of the characters and combat emphasis is a natural fit for it. Granted if you don't like 4E I wouldn't try to sell you on it. Sometimes settings originally created for AD&D have a better fit to more modern games. Masque of the Red Death for example. I'd sooner run it with d20 Modern or Savage Worlds than any edition of D&D. But it was an interesting boxed set.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Warunsun wrote: Everyone I knew back when we were playing AD&D 2E were pretty pissed actually that the boxed set was obsolete so fast. It has nothing to do with conversions. :)
I never gamed with anyone who was upset over that stuff. They just played it.

Dark Sun fits 4E very well. The increased power-level of the characters and combat emphasis is a natural fit for it.[/quote]

I said that CONVERTING 2e DS to 3rd or OSR is MUCH easier. And, it is as the game mechanics are very similar. You can't just convert 4E backwards. You have to rewrite as the rule set as it isn't compatible. It has ZERO to do with likely or not liking 4E. I like Squadleader but you can't easily convert that to 3.x as a game either...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Arduin wrote:
DMSamuel wrote:
Arduin wrote:
TheMetal1 wrote:Not sure if the Dark Sun stuff came out before that but I picked up that stuff(Setting, Modules/adventures, Beastiery) and suprisingly it went out of print fast without any reprints/support.
Dark Sun is from 2nd Edition product line...
They released a Dark Sun campaign setting guide, bestiary/creature catalog, and 2 adventure modules for 4e.

They were released 1 month before the essentials line.
I'm talking about the D&D setting NOT when it was converted to 4e system. :shock:
Both correct. :)

I picked up the 4e version of Dark Sun around the time essentials came out. I like the look and feel of it and like Warsun, this was something I would have considering running 4e in as well. I didn't like the change of Half-Giants to Goliath. Having the rules to play for it spread out in Psionics and PHB If you wanted a Golaith was also annoying. Again not necessary, if you had the character builder (I assume) and not new as TSR has always had stuff spread out from Dragon to various books. I was also annoyed about Dragon Born being 4e, then realized I had put my foot in my mouth as Dragonborn were in the original DarkSun 2e, much to my suprise. I never owned any of the Dark Sun stuff until I got it in PDF on RPGNow before WOTC did it's initial pull.
Arduin wrote:
Warunsun wrote: Everyone I knew back when we were playing AD&D 2E were pretty pissed actually that the boxed set was obsolete so fast. It has nothing to do with conversions. :)
I never gamed with anyone who was upset over that stuff. They just played it.

Dark Sun fits 4E very well. The increased power-level of the characters and combat emphasis is a natural fit for it.
I said that CONVERTING 2e DS to 3rd or OSR is MUCH easier. And, it is as the game mechanics are very similar. You can't just convert 4E backwards. You have to rewrite as the rule set as it isn't compatible. It has ZERO to do with likely or not liking 4E. I like Squadleader but you can't easily convert that to 3.x as a game either...[/quote]

From what I've read, the backstory had some changes from the change of Dark Sun 1st Edition to 2nd Edition that some didn't like (all being AD&D 2e, but a revised DarkSun setting), that some didn't like. I haven't read it all that much to know the difference.

Agree that 2e and 3e Dark Sun is easier that a 4e Dark Sun conversion. For what it's worth there is already a free 3.X conversion that was done over at Athas the official fan site for Dark SUn http://athas.org/products?publisher=Athas.org and now with the Dragon Kings coming out from the kickstarter, should be interesting to see what it will look like.