Archers, Berserkers & Bladesingers

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Maliki
Lore Drake

Archers, Berserkers & Bladesingers

Post by Maliki »

Here are my takes on a few classes I found floating around in various forums. (With a lot of thanks to all those whose ideas I borrowed from)
Archers

Lightly armed and armored, archers are masters of the bow, either the longbow or short bow. What they lack in close combat, they more than make up for with their ability to deal damage at a distance. Elves, half-elves, and humans are the most common archers, although halfling archers are not unheard of.

Prime Dexterity

HD d6

Class Abilities Bow Specialization Precise Shot, Deadly Aim, Rapid Shot, Flurry of Arrows

Armor Padded, Leather, Studded Leather, Chain Shirt, Ring Mail & Bucklers

Weapons Longbows, Short Bows, Composite Longbows Composite Short Bows, club, dagger, dirk, hatchet, knife, short sword.

Class Abilities

Bow Specialization (1st ) At first level the archer chooses a type of bow to specialize in. From that point on he gains a +1 hit and damage (this rises to +2 at 7th level) whenever he uses any bow of that type..

Deadly Aim (3rd) The archer may add his dexterity bonus to all damage rolls, with a bow.

Precise Shot (4th) The archer may ignore 4 points worth of penalties (cover, concealment, moving, firing into melee, etc) when using his bow.

Rapid shot (8th) The archer may fire two arrows per round.

Flurry of Arrows (12th) Archer may fire three arrow per round.

Level HD BtH EPP

1 d6 +1 0

2 d6 +2 1,751

3 d6 +3 3,501

4 d6 +4 7,001

5 d6 +5 14,001

6 d6 +6 25,001

7 d6 +7 50,001

8 d6 +8 90,001

9 d6 +9 150,001

10 d6 +10 200,001

11 d6 +11 350,001

12 d6 +12 500,001

13+ 150,000 EP per level
Berserker

Berserkers practice a form of combat where they enter a terrible rage, throwing themselves upon their enemies and unconcerned with their own survival. Fond of large two handed weapons the berserker is a truly frightening sight to behold.

Prime Constitution

Alignment: Any non-lawful

Hit Dice: d12

Weapons: Any (see below)

Armor: Chain shirt, hide, leather, padded, ring mail, studded leather

Shields: None

Abilities: Cleave, Berserker Rage, Increased Rage, Toughened Warrior Powerful Rage

Abilities:

Cleave At first level the Berserker gains the ability to cleave. This is only possible while using a two handed weapon.

Berserker Rage: At 2nd level, the berserker can enter a powerful rage. Once per day, after 1 round of preparation, the berserker can enter a berserker rage. When in a rage, the berserker gains a +2 bonus to hit, +2 to damage, +2 hit points/level, and a +2 to Wisdom saves. However, the berserker suffers a -2 penalty to Armor Class and -2 to Intelligence-related checks. A rage lasts a number of rounds equal to 1 + the characters level. At the end of the rage, the berserker is fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity, -10 feet of movement, and cant run) for the rest of the encounter. During a berserk rage, a berserker is unaware of his hit points. The CK tracks hit point loss until the rage ends. While berserk a berserker must fight until no enemy is standing (within 60 feet.) He will ask for and give no quarter.

Increased Rage: At 8th level, the berserker can enter berserker rage twice per day.

Toughened Warrior: At 10th level, berserkers gain the ability to shrug off damage from physical attacks. Each time a berserker is struck by a weapon or other physical blow, the damage from that attack is reduced by 1 hit point. Damage can be reduced to 1 hit point, but never below 1. This ability does not reduce damage taken from spells, spell-like abilities, illusions, magic items, magically enhanced weapons, poisons, or other non-physical attacks.

Powerful Rage: At 12th level, the to hit, damage, hit point, and Wisdom save bonuses increase to +3 while in berserker rage.

Level BtH EPP

1 +0 0

2 +1 2,101

3 +2 4,701

4 +3 9,401

5 +4 20,001

6 +5 40,001

7 +6 80,001

8 +7 170,000

9 +8 340,001

10 +9 600,001

11 +10 800,001

12 +11 1,000,001

+200,000 per level
Bladesinger (only available to elves)

Bladesingers are legendary among the elves and the world at large, masters of arcane magics as well as the blade, few can hope to match them in battle. Elven grace, backed by arcane magics and the legendary Bladesong, make the Bladesinger one of the most respected combatants in the world.

Primes Dexterity and Intelligence

Alignment: Any good

Hit Dice: d8

Weapons: Any

Armor: Leather, Padded, Studded Leather, Chain Shirt, Elven Chain.

Abilities: Spells, Bladesong

Abilities:

Spells The Bladesinger maintains a spellbook, like any other wizard. He may learn and cast spells as a wizard of equal level. His training even allows the casting of arcane magics while wearing any armor listed for the class.

Bladesong This intricate but deadly fighting style was developed by the elves. This style requires an unearthly grace and decades of dedication to master the basic tenets. The Bladesong style consists of 3 distinct dances. They are learned in strict order, as movements mastered in the earlier dances are integral to the intricacies of the later dances.

Dance of the Cutting Blade At 1st level, the Bladesinger must select a one handed sword to devote his training to. The Bladesinger learns all the intricacies of his chosen sword to the exclusion of all other weapons. The Bladesinger gains a +1 to both attack and damage rolls, and to his AC when using his chosen sword. This rises to +2 at 6th level and +3 at 12th level. However, because of this strict and single-minded training regimen, the Bladesinger suffers a -1 to both attack and damage rolls, and gains no AC bonus when using any other type of weapon, including other swords.

Dance of the Elusive Warrior At 5th level, the Bladesinger has learned the steps to the 2nd dandce. This dance teaches the Bladesinger to anticipate the movements and attacks of his enemies. The Blades singer adds his Intelligence modifier to his armor class.

Dance of the Furious Blade At 10th level the Bladesinger learns the final dance. This dance teaches the Bladesinger how to quickly follow one attack with another, giving him two attacks per round.

Level BtH XP Spells per day

1 +1 0 4/2

2 +2 4,601 4/3

3 +3 9,201 4/3/1

4 +4 18,901 4/3/2

5 +5 37,801 5/4/2/1

6 +6 76,501 5/4/3/2

7 +7 153,001 5/4/3/2/1

8 +8 306,001 5/4/3/3/2

9 +9 612,001 5/5/4/3/2/1

10 +10 1,000,001 6/5/4/3/3/2

11 +11 1,500,001 6/5/4/4/3/2/1

12 +12 2,000,001 6/5/4/4/3/3/2

+500,000 per level

While they look quite powerful, I feel the XP cost keeps them in check.

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

You might like my "Elven Archer" class that is available in the "New Classes" section of my website. www.nelzie.net

It's based in part off of Legolas from the Peter Jackson LotR films.

I have a few other classes up as well. I need to do finish up a few of them and tweak them all, once I get ahold of the CK Guide and peruse the class creation rules.

I like the classes you have created.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Thanks, I like the elven archer, I like the way it feels different than a human archer would.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I like the Archer class as well. Though, would the dex bonus stack with a strength bonus, or replace it?

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
I like the Archer class as well. Though, would the dex bonus stack with a strength bonus, or replace it?

You don't get a strength bonus to damage with bows. (Unless the CK makes a special type of bow available that requires a given strength to pull back.)

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I upped the Bladesingers HD to a d8, and added a couple of drawbacks to the Berserkers rage.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I really like the berserker. Que song from Clerks

"Do you want to making @#$% BERSERKER!"

Sorry if I have offended anybody.

But on a serious note, I really like this class, may I would definitely play it if I wasn't the perpetual CK.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Nice classes. Looks like fun. Hafta try them in my campaign. (Offhand, I can think of a player with a fighter who's a human archer who will love to see it defined as a class.)

One suggestion on the archer...add Trickshot as a class ability (including blindfolded like William Tell).

Also, do the archer skills also help when firing ballistas from a fixed location? I would think they would since that's really just a spear-lobbing, mega-bow on a base.

Brian Miller

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Right, the composite bow thingies. Forgive my brain-stutter.
Nelzie wrote:
You don't get a strength bonus to damage with bows. (Unless the CK makes a special type of bow available that requires a given strength to pull back.)