The Heart Of Glass

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

The Heart Of Glass

Post by stoneshape »

Hi all,

Just picked up The Heart Of Glass. After a quick flip through it looks good. The more I think about it the more I like it. Although d20 I'm going to C&C it.

I'd really enjoy an open discussion on this TLG product. Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks...

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

The Heart of Glass is pretty cool. I got it late last summer (maybe early fall) and found it interesting. I haven't had a chance to read or go through the adventure but I have gone though the appendix more than once. The Crna Ruk Prestige class is pretty interesting though I haven't tried to convert it for C&C use ... yet. However, I've used some of this material to enrich the backdrop of one of the campaigns I've run with C&C (in Erde).

Has anyone out there attempted a conversion for some of this?

Now, if you like that book... you'll probably like the Winter Runes book just as much (if not more so). They have a class called the Runemark which I've converted for C&C and a few other people here also have done their own conversions of the class.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, I have also converted the Runemark for my campaigns.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Heart of Glass is great. Large city module/adventure with assassins, thieves and the rest of the underworld ~ along with vampires; what more could you want?

And I like this area of Aihrde - The United Kingdoms. Lots of political intrigue, warring factions, connections to Unklar's minions and all the great lore of Aihrde.

The Hlobane orcs (uruk hai, mebbe?) sure kick ass!!

I've also though about tying this in with Ravenloft - perhaps near the Red Hills?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

Copyrighted 2002=3.0 ed dnd, any noteable conversion differences compared to 3.5. I missed 3.0 completely.

Looks like roguish PCs get allot of love (not just rogues and bards).

Page 4 suggests 3-6 PCs, level 3-5. 6 PCs lvl 3, 5 PCs lvl 4, and 3 or 4 Pcs lvl 5. How would these catagories convert to C&C?

Any suggestions for 1-3 C&C modules that would make a good lead into The Heart Of Glass?

Thanks

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

stoneshape wrote:
Page 4 suggests 3-6 PCs, level 3-5. 6 PCs lvl 3, 5 PCs lvl 4, and 3 or 4 Pcs lvl 5. How would these catagories convert to C&C?

Any suggestions for 1-3 C&C modules that would make a good lead into The Heart Of Glass?

Thanks

Yep. Maybe - The Rising Knight, Assault on Blacktooth Ridge or The Dark Chateau and then Lion in the Ropes.

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

Moriarty

They had 3 Winter Runes, I knew I should of, maybe this weekend, sell me on it.

Rhuvein

That has potential, I have the classic I6 and 4 or 5 d20 hardbacks that I could use. I'm guessing you're suggesting a large overlap or maybe a complete melding as opposed to 1 leading into the other.?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

stoneshape wrote:
Rhuvein

That has potential, I have the classic I6 and 4 or 5 d20 hardbacks that I could use. I'm guessing you're suggesting a large overlap or maybe a complete melding as opposed to 1 leading into the other.?

Pretty open on that, but at one time I thought HoG would be a good starting city/location to lead into I6. Personally, I wouldn't put Barovia on another plane, but up in the Red Hills or any mountainous area in Aihrde. That way my group wouldn't be locked into Barovia.

Still toying with ideas - waiting for my group to get leveled up.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I used HoG as the foundation of a Ravenloft kickstart. Worked well, and then, after the party forgot about it, had it turned into a setting for some good Cthulhu setting-like stuff. Its a neat module because its not so much about what's going on as it is what can be going on.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

stoneshape wrote:
Moriarty

They had 3 Winter Runes, I knew I should of, maybe this weekend, sell me on it.

hehehe... Ok, I'll try!

The biggest thing that first drew me to the book is the Runemark class. In fact a large portion of the sourcebook is devoted to the class and the rune spells that a Runemark casts. As a class, it should be understood that they draw from both Divine and Arcane magics and their spell lists will have spells from both of these. There are 45 rune spells on top of that ranging from level 1 to 9.

Aside from pages of spells (some which I have to say are really cool), there's also some magic items and relics near the back of the book. Always a plus in my opinion. Since this is a sourcebook, there is also tons of info on the setting (Erde). However, like the 'Heart of Glass', it also contains a couple of adventures. All in all, good value but it certainly has a different 'vibe' when comparing it to the 'Heart of Glass'

If you're not interested in the class at all, I'd consider holding off on buying the sourcebook if you're considering other things. I for one liked it and spent considerable effort in converting the class and most of the rune spells into C&C. I like the material as it gives more insight for the Erde Campaign setting which is what I've adopted to run C&C in.

If you want to save a bit of cash, and are liking some of what you see for Erde, you can always place an order from TLG directly. It seems like the books and modules for Erde (which are slowly being converted from d20 to C&C) are still on sale.
http://www.trolllord.com/newsite/erde/index.html

The 'Winter Runes' is still listed as $5.00 (you have to scroll down to see the promotional price) and many of the modules are still listed as $1.00 !! The only thing you'll have to consider is shipping on top of all that but it is so well worth the price. Especially if you consider the Canadian-US exchange rate.

At any rate, if you do decide to get it, I can send you my class conversion of the Runemark and those spells I've converted with it.

TTYL

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

How well would 3 level 5 C&C PCs fair in HoG?

I did try to post something longer. touching on updating d20 Erde, More on Hog ect... But it seems i've got about 5 min to post or I loose it all.

not good not good at all

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

stoneshape wrote:
How well would 3 level 5 C&C PCs fair in HoG?

I did try to post something longer. touching on updating d20 Erde, More on Hog ect... But it seems i've got about 5 min to post or I loose it all.

not good not good at all

Write it out in notepad or wordpad, then copy and paste it into the post.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.