It's my fault Black Leaf died. I can't face life alone!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

It's my fault Black Leaf died. I can't face life alone!

Post by slimykuotoan »

This' gonna be a weird thread, but I've noticed that many of us are ol' time gamers on this site.

Question asked then: Have you ever had someone approach you regarding D&D (or gaming in general) and give you a hard time?

What did you do about it?

Many, many years previous, parents of a friend of mine watched Mazes & Monsters, and started coming down on said friend for playing D&D, so he retaliated...

...by running around the house and bumping into his mother over and over again -for days in fact- yelling: "Come on mom, gimmie a gold piece!", etc.

Very funny.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I stab them.

pactmaster

Post by pactmaster »

Merely stabbing is not enough! Ritual sacrifice to infernal entities for earthly power really makes the event more meaningful for me.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

pactmaster wrote:
Merely stabbing is not enough! Ritual sacrifice to infernal entities for earthly power really makes the event more meaningful for me.

Ditto.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

"La tu'ajjel amal el-yawme ela al-akhar, enna lel ghaddy amaloun akhar"

Translate this wilst thou serleran?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I could tell you what I do with them but then I'd have to kill you. The same way I killed them...

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

I had a few people in high school give me a hard time. I went to high school in a small town so there was a slight "Footloose" vibe there. Everyone knew everyone so there wasn't a real clique feel to the place, but you got the occasional "Christian" standing up against "Satan." Never mind the fact that I pointed out that I did not drink or do drugs or was not involved in...uh...carnal activities outside of marriage (which most of these people were), I played D&D and listened to Iron Maiden so I must've been flirting with Satan. I had many friends with whom I went to church who felt totally different and thought that the anti-D&D crowd were just plain nuts. In fact as a result of the anti-D&D'ers who always seemed to be wrong about everything I checked out Catholicism (which they often vilified) after hearing them say so many nasty things about the Church. "These people are always wrong so what do those Papists really believe?" I converted several years later. So in a roundabout way the anti-D&D crown actually made me Catholic...kind of.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I only ever got a few strange looks and comments from parental type figures in junior high school and maybe even one or twi in high school. The problem was easily solved with simple stabbing motions.

But seriously for a second, back in 1996 or 1997 in my home town here some jackass killed his parents with a hammer. The police found D&D material in this kids bedroom. Of course, the media went through the phone book looking for gaming stores in Cleveland. Of course the store that I worked at was the only store in town at the time. The news people came by and did some rediculous story and interviewed everybody at the store, including my manager at the time. The news people spun the story so hard and made the guy that hired me look like such an idiot. I guess we should have known that was coming.

I stabbed the news reporter and his camerman.

OK, I lied about the stabbing of the newspeople.
...........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I just say I am obviously not as uptight and judgemental as they are. I know how to have fun.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I carry guns. If that doesnt do the trick, I'll give them the old wink and cackle uncontrollably.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
"La tu'ajjel amal el-yawme ela al-akhar, enna lel ghaddy amaloun akhar"

Translate this wilst thou serleran?

It means:

Do not put off your work, for tomorrow there will be more. Roughly.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Seriously, we still have a few hangers on here. Most Christians with half a brain though see Jack Chick for what he is. And the same ones grew up during the PTL, Satanist in every box, rock is evil days and tend to discount these things since we are smart enough to look into them ourselves and see it's just fearmongoring without any real facts.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Down in these parts, we have the opposite problem - people are so used to video games like GTA, Scarface: The Video Game, Gears of War, etc. that they complain that P&P gaming fails to make them feel pumped up about slashing hundreds of orcs in half while leaving a gooey mess.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: It's my fault Black Leaf died. I can't face life alone!

Post by gideon_thorne »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Question asked then: Have you ever had someone approach you regarding D&D (or gaming in general) and give you a hard time?

*chuckles* Mate, Ive had people give me a hard time for playing D&D, not playing it the right way (someone elses way), playing the wrong games, dressing up as a civil war reenactor, reading too much, not reading enough, being too big a geek, and not being geeky enough, not drawing the 'right' sort of art, and for drawing the right sort of art, ect ect ad nauseum.

I tell all these people rather impartially to get stuffed.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

pactmaster

Post by pactmaster »

Orpheus wrote:
Never mind the fact that I pointed out that I did not drink or do drugs, I played D&D and listened to Iron Maiden so I must've been flirting with Satan.

I can relate to this part of your post. I played AD&D, listened to heavy metal, had long hair, hung out with girls (to put it mildly), but did not drink or do drugs, but I caught a lot of flack. Roleplaying is really a great form of social interaction that so many people overlooked because of fearmongers and people who did not understand the basic idea of playing a game of D&D. My grandmother saw one of those religious programs that had some guy (not one of the big timers, just a polyester suit guy) hooting and hollering about how Satanic and vile Dungeons and Dragons was and how corrupting it is on young minds and she is on that same tangent to this day. I really wish I could be as influential as some guy with a bad comb-over and a cheap suit that is too small. Nobody has ever committed a crime under the influence of a roleplaying game that didn't go into it with a few problems to begin with.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

My mom was one of those "its evil end of story" people but my dad was very OK with it. It lead to me keeping all my gameing books & dragon mags in the back of my jeep. She had no problem with me reading the Dragonlance novels or playing others games just not D&D...

I had a kin (not sure exactly how relater we were) kill him self & role playing got blamed but as earlier said here, he had BIG issues with or without RPGs. Word spread through the family grape vine that I also games so there was a while when any time I saw someone from that side of the family I'd get a little talking too.
Quote:
I can relate to this part of your post. I played AD&D, listened to heavy metal, had long hair, hung out with girls (to put it mildly), but did not drink or do drugs, but I caught a lot of flack. Roleplaying is really a great form of social interaction that so many people overlooked because of fearmongers and people who did not understand the basic idea of playing a game of D&D.

Couldn't say it better my self, but I was a short haired military type that listedn to country & classic rock even back then .....

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

pactmaster wrote:
I can relate to this part of your post. I played AD&D, listened to heavy metal, had long hair, hung out with girls (to put it mildly), but did not drink or do drugs, but I caught a lot of flack. Roleplaying is really a great form of social interaction that so many people overlooked because of fearmongers and people who did not understand the basic idea of playing a game of D&D. My grandmother saw one of those religious programs that had some guy (not one of the big timers, just a polyester suit guy) hooting and hollering about how Satanic and vile Dungeons and Dragons was and how corrupting it is on young minds and she is on that same tangent to this day. I really wish I could be as influential as some guy with a bad comb-over and a cheap suit that is too small. Nobody has ever committed a crime under the influence of a roleplaying game that didn't go into it with a few problems to begin with.

Yep, before going in the Navy I was the long haired "Harley Davidson Biker dude" with the wife beater shirts and drinking and drugs and....

All of which I never did. I didn't even drink alcohol until a couple of years after I was in the Navy.

I have to admit I almost cried when they cut off my hair in boot. Now I hate the thought of having long hair again.

I have yet to buy a Harley of my own.
The wife, justifiably, doesn't want me to.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

pactmaster

Post by pactmaster »

Lurker wrote:
I had a kin (not sure exactly how relater we were) kill him self & role playing got blamed but as earlier said here, he had BIG issues with or without RPGs. Word spread through the family grape vine that I also games so there was a while when any time I saw someone from that side of the family I'd get a little talking too.

Sadly to this day I see the odd show on Court TV that has to bring up how this or that person played Dungeons & Dragons and it still ticks me off. For example, there was a guy back in the 80's who killed his parents (Sean something) and he blamed D&D for getting him into Satanic worship and heavy metal and everything bad with the world and they like showing a couple of variations of his story. So instead of asking for help and trying to get over it, he shot his parents. I always thought D&D was rather an excellent release for aggressive energy myself, it didn't lead to it.

Dagger
Red Cap

Post by Dagger »

I remember playing D&D with a friend of mine when his parents weren't home. His mom came home, saw the books, and told me to "get those out of my house."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Man, you guys had it easy. My mom went all Christian-psycho and upped and Jesus-freaked on my D&D stuff, going so far as to torch it in the fireplace (how I lost my original 3rd print OD&D set) to just shredding it in the machine at work, to having it "blessed" by the pastor, who also told me I was possessed and working as a tool of the Devil. I, of course, nodded and smiled, and said "glad you noticed." I've had lots of my stuff destroyed, not just by rambling-bambler Bible-thumpers, but also by people of other religions too... once, these hardcore Muslims opened one of my books (I think it was a Basic set) and saw the women were not drawn veiled, so he promptly tore the page out.

People are crazy when they feel their faith is at stake, I guess. I dunno see how, since it didn't belong to them... and they didna buy it... oh well. Less for me means more for someone else.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

serleran wrote:
Man, you guys had it easy. My mom went all Christian-psycho and upped and Jesus-freaked on my D&D stuff, going so far as to torch it in the fireplace (how I lost my original 3rd print OD&D set) to just shredding it in the machine at work, to having it "blessed" by the pastor, who also told me I was possessed and working as a tool of the Devil. I, of course, nodded and smiled, and said "glad you noticed." I've had lots of my stuff destroyed, not just by rambling-bambler Bible-thumpers, but also by people of other religions too... once, these hardcore Muslims opened one of my books (I think it was a Basic set) and saw the women were not drawn veiled, so he promptly tore the page out.

People are crazy when they feel their faith is at stake, I guess. I dunno see how, since it didn't belong to them... and they didna buy it... oh well. Less for me means more for someone else.

Not everyone is batshit insane about things like this. It would be a mistake to categorize all Christians or any other faith in this manner.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Too true Breakdaddy. Too bad it's the psycho's that get all the attention. There's a website I saw that absolutely enrages me becasue it's filled with this stuff. No I won't provide a link ot say where it was since I don't want this guy getting any more publicity other than he is an example of the simple minded fearmongering that has sadly infiltrated the faith.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Not everyone is batshit insane about things like this. It would be a mistake to categorize all Christians or any other faith in this manner.

I did this... when? Sure, some of what I said could be construed as "anti-Christian" but it was meant as anti-"psychotic under pretense of faith." There are fanatics of every kind out there, but the ones that I have the most beef with are the ones who put God as their justifier. Besides, it would be rather ironic for me to say all Christians are "bad..." but that's not for these boards, is it?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Serl Wow

I though it was bad with my mom. I just had to keep the books (& Only D&D all other games were good to go including beyond supernatural) in my car. I never had the burn the books you are possessed moments. I even got to game a couple times with some of the youth & youth minister just to show them it wasnt evil. It helped that when they first said it was I pulled out letters & writings from Tolkien & Lewis.

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

Post by StealthSuitStanley »

This is a great topic. All those interested should check out the Christian Gamers Guild. It is a great site that addresses these issues among "Christianity" identifying how, as previously mentioned, the crazy people get all the publicity. It debunks many of the myths that these crazies use in their arguments. All Straw men.

I am a Christian, Independent Baptist to be quite specific. Baptists are typically the "crazy" ones. Those are atypical of most christians. I've experienced some of this within my faith, but not as bad as any of you. Typically the same type of ostrasizing most gamer geeks receive from "normal" people. It is easy to ignore yet easier to answer. This is one reason why I like Castles and Crusades. Sometimes a simple change in name can make all the difference in the world. This just goes to show how shallow some people are in their faith.

SSS

----------------------------

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master
CK of the Planewalker's Society

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

gideon_thorne wrote:

I read ya, Pete. Keep making great art for my favorite fantasy game and I'll (attempt) to keep my loud mouth shut on the topic.
-Genghis Khan

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

StealthSuitStanley wrote:
This is one reason why I like Castles and Crusades. Sometimes a simple change in name can make all the difference in the world. This just goes to show how shallow some people are in their faith.

LOL! Too true. I just got together with some guys for a new gaming group and they luckily chose C&C as the game-of-choice right before I got involved with them (they took a poll and 3.5 was a close second ). When we met up for the first time just to finalize our characters and do the whole "creep sniff" we met at an IHOP. One of the guys said, "So my father tells me that some of my family I'm about to meet (I think that he's dad had remarried recently) don't approve of D&D." I told him, "Just tell them the game is called Castles & Crusades and they won't know that they're the same thing." It's all brand image!

IanTheMoxious

Post by IanTheMoxious »

This is truly an interesting topic. I have friends with wonderful imaginations that play WoW and Everquest but can't play D&D due to the acceptance of their faith. However, I am also a christian. My faith is stronger now than it has been for years. And you know what? I am going to decapitate orcs, slay dragons, and save maidens like there's no tomorrow!

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

IanTheMoxious wrote:
This is truly an interesting topic. I have friends with wonderful imaginations that play WoW and Everquest but can't play D&D due to the acceptance of their faith.

That just sounds strange. What about D&D keeps them from playing it as opposed to WoW and EQ? It is just their perception of what might be in D&D? Most of the things which people who didn't like D&D for were the spells and magic and moral ambiguity (perceived anyway). All of those things are in both WoW and EQ.