I've done it...

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Fizz
Lore Drake

I've done it...

Post by Fizz »

Hi all-

I have sold my 3E core books. They are officially gone. The only 3E material is have is the Midnight campaign setting, because it's just a great setting. I don't mean this to be a 3E bashing thread, but i cannot even conceive of ever running another 3E game- it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

C&C has really captured me, particularly so since the 2nd Printing. It just... works. It makes the game fun, not work, again. My only complaint to the Trolls is the long wait for the next books. Where's that CKG? Where's that 1001 Monsters book?
Anyways, wanted to share.

-Fizz

Nifelhein
Red Cap

Post by Nifelhein »

I am glad you kept your Midnight books though, or I would have to bash you open and eat your organs raw.
I sometimes feel like I should do that and replace the 3.X library with older editions instead, but then e-bay is hardly a cheap place for me to buy thing due to shipment.

Well, once I actually get a game going again I might get rid of those paper weights.
"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects." - Attributed to Herman Melville.

Dragonhelm
Red Cap

Post by Dragonhelm »

I never got why people would get rid of books like that, even if they weren't using them. You never know when you might need them later on. Even if you never play d20 again, there may at least be some ideas to convert.

Then again, the SRD is there, so there's that.

*shrugs*

Whatever the case, glad you're liking C&C so much.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I regularly trade out or sell games I don't use. Otherwise I'd need 2 dens for my collection. My d20 collection was never big so there was very little I traded of from it. The d20 books I do have though are:

The Dragonlance line.

A few Midnight books.

Necromancers Wilderlands products.

Bard's Gate

Some Sovereign Stone books.

The Core 3: PHB, MM, DMG

Oh, and the Deadlands d20 line (I hate this version of it)

Hmmmm...now that I think about it, the only d20 products I traded off were WotC produced ones. Their work never did much for me.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I kinda agree with DH on this one. I never got rid of books either unless I needed the money, or had specifically bought them to resell. I've certainly picked up my fair share of d20 stuff over the years, but I won't get rid of it unless I have to.

Dispite my blah attitude towards 3e in general, there are some magnificent d20 based books out there. Matter of fact, I think that some of the best produced RPG material of all time happens to be d20 in nature. 20 years from now, some d20 stuff will be talked about just like we talk about the Rules Cyclopedia, the World of Greyhawk Box set, or whatever.

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Heck, I still have mine. I refuse to sell my stuff, though a trade is never ruled out... or, I could give something away, if I just don't need it (like I have thirty copies already.)

Oh well, perhaps not having that stuff will make your mind liberated? :)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote:
Oh well, perhaps not having that stuff will make your mind liberated?

That's an interesting thought. Especially now that our minds have gobbled up so much information. We understand the process and the execution. Maybe now, the books are indeed holding us back for good RPing. *shrugs*

................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

Dragonhelm wrote:
I never got why people would get rid of books like that, even if they weren't using them. You never know when you might need them later on. Even if you never play d20 again, there may at least be some ideas to convert.

Then again, the SRD is there, so there's that.

*shrugs*

Whatever the case, glad you're liking C&C so much.

I agree.

I still have my original Cyberpunk boxed set with the thin pamplets and the nigh impossible to play ruleset, that includes Friday Night Firefight. I'll never end up playing it, yet I cannot seem to part with it.

Maybe I am unable to part with any of my gaming collection because, compared to many other collections I have seen, it is rather small, fitting most nicely within a 2 foot wide by 4 foot tall shelving system. (Minus my 80's and early 90's Dragon Magazines.)

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nelzie wrote:
I still have my original Cyberpunk boxed set with the thin pamplets and the nigh impossible to play ruleset, that includes Friday Night Firefight. I'll never end up playing it, yet I cannot seem to part with it.

Oh, the sweetness of that box set! FNF is cool, as well as the total nostalgia of that box set... nice. Hang on to the dreams!
............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I picked mine up at a discount sale, for $5. I'm keeping it! Besides, the black box Cyberpunk is a collector's item... at least, where I was living at the time.

[/end second hijack]

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

I'm going to have to walk the fence on this one: while I can certainly sympathize with those who keep the works regardless of whether they end up being used or not (certainly the case with me; have close to a dozen WotC d20 books that will likely not have their covers cracked again), I also applaud Fizz for having the gumption to go through and rid himself of things that are no longer contributing to his lifestyle. Certainly something that many of us - and I'm not exempting myself here - would be left far better off and happier if we could get around to actually doing it.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Like DangerDwarf, i've always preferred the non-WotC stuff. Since i'm going to exlusively use C&C now, having the core books didn't make much sense. In fact, i realized i do still have a couple other 3E books- Traps & Treachery 1 & 2, and Dawnforge. I like a lot of what FFG does. Full of good ideas- just ignore the mechanic.

I guess after spending time with C&C, i realized anew what RPG'ing was about and that I just don't like 3E. I gave it more than a fair shot, but it was never fun. It was bookeeping. I decided my library should not have core rulebooks that aren't contributing to the fun factor.

And by selling them on eBay i'm able to finance several other older books that work with C&C with minimal conversion.
-Fizz

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Heh, well, if you don't have it... I suggest AEGs Toolbox. Probably the best d20 book, next to the GFW series, which aren't really d20 either (very few stats.) Go on... go get it. :)

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
Dispite my blah attitude towards 3e in general, there are some magnificent d20 based books out there. Matter of fact, I think that some of the best produced RPG material of all time happens to be d20 in nature. 20 years from now, some d20 stuff will be talked about just like we talk about the Rules Cyclopedia, the World of Greyhawk Box set, or whatever.

I agree that there are some great D20 offerings out there. Some of the best RPG material of all time was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, although D20 is a close second
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

serleran wrote:
Heh, well, if you don't have it... I suggest AEGs Toolbox. Probably the best d20 book, next to the GFW series, which aren't really d20 either (very few stats.) Go on... go get it.

QFT
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Fizz wrote:
And by selling them on eBay i'm able to finance several other older books that work with C&C with minimal conversion.
-Fizz

Certainly cant argue with that logic. Selling something you dont want or need to get something you do. Perfectly reasonable. ^_^

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Dagger
Red Cap

Post by Dagger »

I found C&C in January and in February I sold all my 3.X books with the exception of the 3 core books. I kept them to basically say I had the rules for every edition of D&D. I decided that I was never going to DM 3.X again, so I sold everything. I used the money to buy 1st and 2nd edition stuff I was missing, as well as the Star Frontiers boxed sets. I feel so much better looking at my book shelf and seeing things I'll actually use.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I've had to sell some of mine also. First to go was the 3.e core books... Then some of the books i use just for ideas that I've gotten in PDF format. That way there is room for all the books I got on the $10 sale with out my wife seeing the extra books. Now I just have to make sure she is out with the baby when the mail arives

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

rabindranath72
Lore Drake

Post by rabindranath72 »

I only ever bought the 3.0 books (in italian), and Unearthed Arcana. And that's all from WotC (oh, I also bought Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, but FASTER THAN LIGHT sold it...I am still banging my head against the wall for having lost my time buying it). Then I have some of the Dragonlance d20 books (although I sold the Bestiary). Plus, I have Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia, the Conan books (just because there is my name written on them ), Necropolis, Call of Cthulhu (I like it!) and Darkness & Dread. Other things I had, I sold them; nice ideas, but with too many rules (e.g. Dawnforge).

Fizz, NICE CHOICE!
Cheers,

Antonio

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

The only 3rd edition stuff I ever bought was the core three books and I didn't get any of the 3.5 stuff. Well I bought Mongoose's Lone Wolf game since I used to read the books religiously when I was a kid, but I have still not played it and don't ever really intend to. I still have the 3.0 core books that I bought although my wife uses the Monster Manual as a base for her mouse pad when using her laptop in bed (she reached for the 1st Edition DMG that I had sitting on my nightstand for reading and I promptly traded her the MM for it.).

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

dagger4192 wrote:
I kept them to basically say I had the rules for every edition of D&D.

That's the only reason I keep the 3 core d20's on my shelf too.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

DangerDwarf wrote:
That's the only reason I keep the 3 core d20's on my shelf too.

I like some of the extraneous things 3e did, but the glut of rules ruins it for me. I am keeping most of my collection, but may move some of the books I don't use. Not sure. I still refer to them from time to time for various small details.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm probably going to sell down to the core 3 and UA. It's now just getting into the room that has them in it and finding them to get ready to sell.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I've kept all my 3E books, not that I plan on ever running it again. Some of my players purchased books and donated them to the group, so they are not all mine to sell.

I still use a lot of my 3E modules and such from Necromancer and Goodman games.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, to be honest, I have given away some stuff before, but only when I had 3-4 copies, and didn't need/want them. Right now, I have a lot of different things, but only one copy of them, so I don't wanna get rid of stuff. Besides, to me, my "collection" is my library, of sorts, and I use new purchases as a tax write-off. ;)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
Besides, to me, my "collection" is my library, of sorts, and I use new purchases as a tax write-off.

Boy if I could do that plus my tax free deployment months I'd get of with paying No taxes!

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yeah, they are a "non-compensated work-related expense." :) Its pretty cool.