Most emotional roleplaying moments:

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Most emotional roleplaying moments:

Post by slimykuotoan »

I like to fondly remember the times when people went a little overboard in their reactions to a D&D game -and I'm sure everyone's had them.

One time, a bodybuilding friend of mine, had a character -whom he played for 2 years or so- die by falling off of a bridge (fighter/thief?).

He got up from his chair, starred down at the DM, pointed his finger menacingly, and said: "this' bulls***!"

...and preceeded to punch his refridgerator so hard he almost folded the door in half.

He then stomped off to his room...

At this point -we'd all been staring down at our character sheets in shocked silence throughout the ordeal- I looked up at the DM and said very quietly: "You realize we're now going to have to smuggle you out of here through the kitchen window..."

The guy later came back to the table quite embarrased afterwards, but well, in his defence, it WAS a pretty crappy way to end a character's career...

And thou?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Someone I knew, after not being rewarded the same amount of XP as I (due to an ad hoc bonus for creativity) decided it best to pick up my PHB and repeatedly abuse its cover by slamming it into the table edge, thus cracking the spine and leaving a neat gash. Fortunately, it was a 3E book. ;) Bad thing? It was the GenCon release version, signed by every WotC/ex-TSR guy they had, including EGG, if you can believe it.

I'm still on a hunt to replace that... though I do have a different 3E PHB.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

serleran wrote:
[He] decided it best to pick up my PHB and repeatedly abuse its cover by slamming it into the table edge, thus cracking the spine and leaving a neat gash...[It] was the GenCon release version, signed by every WotC/ex-TSR guy they had, including EGG...

Holy ouch.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sorry. I would have had to do something similiar to that guy.

Of course this next GenCon will have EGG and a lot of WOTC people.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

There's been many a moment of tension at the gaming table, but never violence per se. Yeah, a few players over the years have stared each other (and me down), thrown stuff on occassion, and even screamed in disgust with plenty of expletives, and then walked out. However, I can say that almost of these players have either appologized or smoothed things over and the game went on.

As for some good emotional moments, there were those too where the players would whoop and holler over a much needed crit, or max damage or a BBEG being offed to end a long, good campaign. Those are always the most remembered emotional moments for me.
............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Dagger
Red Cap

Post by Dagger »

I was DMing probably 15 years ago for a group playing AD&D 2nd Edition. A new player joined our group and brought his long time character from a 1st Edition game he played. His old campaign was obviously a Monty Haul style, so I had to work with him to tone the character down to fit in with my group. Well, he played with us for a couple of months and even with the "toning down" he still stole the spotlight every session. For fun, I did a solo adventure with him where his deity sent him on a quest... the catch was that he was required to abandon all his magical equipment while completing it. His character began by traversing through some woods and was attacked by a bear. He barely survived the encounter. As soon as it was over, he took out a cigarette lighter and lit his character sheet right there in my apartment! He kept repeating: "Is this what you want?!?!?" Is this what you want?!?!?!". Long story short... we were able to move on from that and all of us had fun for many adventures after.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

dagger4192 wrote:
...he barely survived the encounter. As soon as it was over, he took out a cigarette lighter and lit his character sheet right there in my apartment! He kept repeating: "Is this what you want?!?!?" Is this what you want?!?!?!"

That's hilarious!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
dagger4192 wrote:

...he barely survived the encounter. As soon as it was over, he took out a cigarette lighter and lit his character sheet right there in my apartment! He kept repeating: "Is this what you want?!?!?" Is this what you want?!?!?!"

That's hilarious!

Tooooo FUnny!

Mine was when I was a playing a Paladin. THe group was trying to escape the area and running for their lives but it was going poorly. I looked for a good defendable place to make my stand. The rest of the party kept going as I held. The fight was truly epic "Horiatis holding the bridge". It got to a point where everyone was rolling their lucky d20 to get all the bad luck out of it & handing me them when the felt hot. I've never rolled so many 20s at once. The last role was my 20 & one of the remaining ogres (with a few orcs & goblins still standing ) rolled a 20 too. Stunned silence....... THe DM looked up and said "WOW..... I need a beer" I looked up & quietly said "beer....I'll need more than one!" .... THat ended the game for the night! I can't remember any of the adventure except that fight!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

serleran wrote:
Someone I knew, after not being rewarded the same amount of XP as I (due to an ad hoc bonus for creativity) decided it best to pick up my PHB and repeatedly abuse its cover by slamming it into the table edge, thus cracking the spine and leaving a neat gash. Fortunately, it was a 3E book. Bad thing? It was the GenCon release version, signed by every WotC/ex-TSR guy they had, including EGG, if you can believe it.

I'm still on a hunt to replace that... though I do have a different 3E PHB.

Ouch. I soooooooo wouldn't have had that book at the table though.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Most of the stories so far seem to be about the awkward, and often unpleasant moments...my group and I have certainly had our share of those, but I'd prefer to recall when the (positive) tensions were at their highest.

Cut to approximately fifteen years ago...We were on Ceti Alpha V, when all of a sudden Ceti Alpha VI exploded and everything was laid to waste -

- Sorry, wrong fifteen years ago. We were in our regular group - and I'll refer to them by character names rather than identify the actual individual - finishing off a mission arc that was (loosely) drawn from "Vault of the Drow". There was Arkon Ironfist, 14th level ranger, Mitherkinseric, 14th level Wizard, Torn, 12th level paladin, and Loren Silveroak, 12th level elven thief. There had been some pretty harrowing moments as our gang worked their way deeper and deeper in the vault of the Drow (natch), but the climax came when they reached a huge underground cavern, presided over by a multi-story temple dedicated to Lolth, and an obsidian pillar in the center of the city. At the top of the pillar was a huge stone-carved spider, with its legs arching upward.

To make a several-hour story short, Our Gang confronted Lolth's high priestess and a retinue of elite guards. After a serious scrap, during which Our Boys ended up knocked about but not dead, they were left in an extremely precarious position: the priestess, just after the scrap started, had cast a summoning spell to get Lolth to bridge dimensions and wipe out the PCs personally. The priestess was dead...but the spell was still in operation.

On top of the aforementioned pillar, a spider's egg had appeared as soon as the priestess finished her incantation. As the fight went on, I inserted descriptions of how the egg was gradually getting larger; by the time the fight finished, the egg as as large as a full-grown man and was four rounds from hatching.

The players were just about to soil themselves at the prospect of a) taking on Lolth (Lolth!), and b) in definitely less than peak condition. I had the end title music from Predator 2 jacked up and running, and the group had several hurdles they had to overcome before taking out the nacent Lolth-egg: safely remove the gem of control from the priestess' forehead, neutralize its power, destroy it and then take out the egg, which would be accomplished with two arrows of demon slaying that Arkon had accumulated from earlier adventures. With only a one-round margin for each task, the odds of success - and survival - were growing slim.

Loren defied the odds and made his Find/Remove Traps roll, and managed to score a 1 on the d4 for how many rounds it would take. Mitherkinseric then proceeded to use dispel magic on it and again, beat a 60% of failure on the dice roll. Torn then took his Holy Avenger and smote the thing into shards with a single blow and near-maximum damage; it exploded with a silvery-violet blast and a sound like a muffled hand grenade going off. I told the group that they could hear the thing inside the egg screaming.

One round left. It was now up to Arkon and his trusty bow to put an end to the monster that was incubating in the nearly-burst egg. He turned, nocked the bow and let fly. He needed an 8 on d20...and rolled a 7.

The screeches echoed throughout our basement. The Predator music had just about hit its climax, and Torn glared at Arkon and began reciting, "Karma-karma-karma" in a monotone, as though he could somehow will Arkon into success when making his final roll. Fists were clenched and jaws were tensed as Arkon drew back, his eyes wide and his mouth pulled in a spastic grin, and rolled the die for the last of his two shots...which, of course, was made with the final demon-slaying arrow. As I described his pulling back the bowstring, I solemnly told the gang that the thing inside the egg was now clearly visible through the gossamer, staring at all of them with inhuman hatred and malice...marking them all forever.

Arkon let the die fly. The d20 bounched against the DM's screen, spun around the table...and came to rest not far from Torn's character sheet. We leaned forward as the soundtrack came to its final beat...and looked at the number staring back at us from the upward face of the die.

The collective gasp of relief was mirrored by the Gang sagging back into their seats, wiping cold sweat off brows and upper lips. I described the arrow arcing like lightning from Arkon's bow, sliding through the brownish gauze of the egg - and how the empty, dirty silk settled slowly on the top of the pillar, empty. Our Gang beat a hasty retreat out of the Underdark, but the near-disaster - and I really would have sicced Lolth on them, never doubt that - echoed for many a pub crawl after that.

Sorry to go on such lengths about this, but it really was one of the most intense moments I can recall in almost three decades of DMing. Getting back to the C&C issue again, I'd like to mention that such a scenario as above would never have been possible with 3.X. Gods above willing, we can, with C&C perhaps have moments that equal or even exceed this one.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Ouch. I soooooooo wouldn't have had that book at the table though.

Yeah, but this was in 2000, literally two-three weeks after d20s initial release, and there were only two available copies of the book, for 6 players.. and you know how d20 requires a lot of flipping through the book for each and every rule (well, not for us at the time since we were still clinging to "old" ways, making assumptions how the game "should" work, seeing as only rhe PHB existed at the time...), it was on-hand, in case something came up (and it did, quite often, especially when dealing with the skills.)

Anyway, yeah, fun times...

Oh, and I remember some other times, too where roleplaying crossed that hazy shade of Pardu. We used to literally do the fights ourselves, SCA style. Until I broke some dude's arms by smacking him with my flail... I told him he should not use a shield, but he didn't believe me. He does now.

BASH MAN
Red Cap

Post by BASH MAN »

Well, who could forget this one?

and its tragic ending...

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

BASH MAN wrote:
Well, who could forget this one?

rofl

I had almost forgot about that.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Telhawk great one!

Bash man that is a blast from the past.... Brings back BAD memories. Had it thrown in my face a few times by kin (Have a HUGE family counting all the extended branches) On of the was a real loser & did end up killing him self. A few D&D books were found in his room so that had to be the cause, evil D&D. Forget the drugs he was always doing, the fact he go out to other farms & shoot peoples animals etc etc. Some one brought up the fact I played so got to see that little comic more than once...

Oh well sorry about the "vent" just brought back things forgotten...

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Haha - *points* She killed herself. Dummy.

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Omote wrote:
Haha - *points* She killed herself. Dummy.

..........................................Omote

FPQ

As a born-again Christian gamer, I detest Jack Chick's tracts. They are disgusting and ill-informed. I was a Catholic when I started gaming and had no trouble sticking with it after converting.

Everybody wants to find fault except where it stems from -- problems in the home or in the head. Namely, our fallen nature.

As you were...

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Zudrak wrote:
As a born-again Christian gamer, I detest Jack Chick's tracts. They are disgusting and ill-informed. I was a Catholic when I started gaming and had no trouble sticking with it after converting.

Everybody wants to find fault except where it stems from -- problems in the home or in the head. Namely, our fallen nature.

As you were...

Same here except we traded places. I was raised Protestant (Baptist) and became Catholic. So that makes me the only Catholic who can actually sing. I've never bought into any of that stuff at all since let's face it: most of the people who believe everything they read in those things aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. As for the "fallen nature": they make these pills now....

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

That little pamphlet inspired many a rueful smile and shake of the head, a few years ago. Undoubtedly, the result with the most impact was a parody bit that came out not long after; the exact same drawings were used, but the dialogue was replaced with some material that was nothing short of hysterical. I wish to Heavens above that I had copied/saved it; the only bit I can really remember was that, when one of the characters goes to a Black Mass (with the intention of investigating the real outcome of role-playing), there are writhing tentacles in the floor and a crew of your basic black-robes-with-hoods types standing around them. One of the guys turns to the girl who's visiting and says, "I'm Gary Gygax! We're playing some live-action Call of Cthulhu...want to touch my tentacle?" I showed the original and the parody to my brothers and a friend of ours - the laughter echoed across the streets. Too bad it's not available anymore.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

I must admit, as the son of Orcus, I've had a hard time of it as well:

Although not in the same way you guys have; I've instead felt pressured to to stay evil...

Unlike you -as a spawn of the nine hells- I 'started' my life raping, pillaging, and bringing general ill to the world, etc.

So when I started playing D&D, I too was somewhat concerned that I'd be 'changed forever' by this game - especially after reading Jack Chick comics and watching Tipper Gore reviews, etc.

Well, after twenty odd years of gaming, I can happily say -with confidence- that I'm as evil as ever...

So then, from the other side of the coin: we half-daemons haven't been affected at all; we remain the same.

There you have it: the game is safe.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I've always liked this one.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

serleran wrote:

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Zudrak wrote:

As you were...

Any Christian with half a brain can see through claims like that. It was as bad as the satanist in every corner conspiracies that was spewed forth in the 80's.

Anyhoo, I did have a bit of a struggle with gaming until I realized that it was between God and myself and nobody else's business. But then again I'm one of those fringe Post-Evangelicals.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:

I'd never seen that before tooooo funny.
Quote:
until I realized that it was between God and myself and nobody else's business.

JG too true. I hope I can raise my doughter with that outlook!

Yet again, how did we go off thread topic so much? From gamers getting mad & waking books around & such to this. We are odd!

C&C Society

C&C Society

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Lurker wrote:
I'd never seen that before tooooo funny.

JG too true. I hope I can raise my doughter with that outlook!

Yet again, how did we go off thread topic so much? From gamers getting mad & waking books around & such to this. We are odd!

Oops. *lets go of thread's reins*
I held onto those a little too long. This is why I am allowed to drive cars, but not message board threads.

(Monty Python voice) Sorry!

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax